• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Toki767

Finally got it, it's.... beautiful.

Now to migrate all my contacts from the old Galaxy S phone. Sigh... any tips?

Should have put them all up on Google so it'd sync automatically. Fastest way to enter contacts would probably still be going into Gmail and creating new contacts there.

sun-drop

This phone has that "feels like it's from the future" thing going on still, even coming from a s2.

Pretty amazing. Think the size of the screen, and tapered edges make it seem thiner than it even is.

Toki767

This phone has that "feels like it's from the future" thing going on still, even coming from a s2.

Pretty amazing. Think the size of the screen, and tapered edges make it seem thiner than it even is.

The rounded edges really make it seem smaller. Swiping left and right my thumb just falls off the screen without me noticing.

sun-drop

I think touchwiz does a great job. I put pure un skinned ics on a mates s1 the other day and yeh.... There's things that I missed. Just feels raw around the edges, starts with the camera interface... But right through it...same unfinished feeling.

Slap nova launcher on to reclaim a row of home screen, and drag and drop folders. SwiftKey 3 holo theam. Chrome. And yr good.

LM4sure

Banned
Is there any chance that this quad core LTE version will make it to the US? I'm thinking of holding out on getting a new phone if there's a chance I could get the quad core version.

Toki767

Is there any chance that this quad core LTE version will make it to the US? I'm thinking of holding out on getting a new phone if there's a chance I could get the quad core version.

We should start seeing quad core LTE phones in the US in fall/winter. Probably winter. Maybe not even till January though.

greyshark

Highly unlikely. But if the processor is the only thing holding you back, I'd say go for it. There's nothing you wouldn't be able to do with the US version that you could with the international one.

LM4sure

Banned
Highly unlikely. But if the processor is the only thing holding you back, I'd say go for it. There's nothing you wouldn't be able to do with the US version that you could with the international one.

Ok cool. My contract is up September 1 so I have a little bit of time to see what develops. I may wait a bit longer if there is hope of getting a quad core LTE phone. I was hoping for a Samsung phone, but may have to look elsewhere if there's a phone with a faster processor.

kyan-

Banned

If you are a hard core gamer then yes maybe the quad core will help you. Otherwise, the S4 does an amazing job on its own.

barrin87

Here is the review I just wrote for the case I bought. Kind of a crappy review.

I just received my Belkin Grip Sheer case for my Samsung Galaxy S III and find it to be a very well make case. I purchased the Clear case because I wanted to show off the very nice Pebble Blue color I got my phone in. The case does have a slight tint to it so I can't see the phone through the case perfectly to show off the brilliant color of the phone but I can still see the color well enough while it's protected. This would be my only con to the phone and it's a very minimal one to begin with.

-Case fits my phone perfectly so it won't fall off but can be put on and off the phone with very little effort.
-Holes are cut out perfectly so all the ports can be accessed without having to take the case on and off.
-Power and volume buttons are covered up and need to be pressed with slightly more pressure than usual without the case but that can be helpful so buttons aren't accidentally pressed while in a pocket.
-Front and back holes are slightly raised so the camera and screen are protected when placed on surfaces.
-Case is lightweight at only .8 ounces so it doesn't add very much weight to the phone.
-Case isn't too thick so it doesn't make the phone feel bulky.
-Case is slick but adds more grip to the phone so it doesn't slide around as easily.

Overall I am loving this case so far and find it to be completely worth the money. Go ahead and buy cheaper cases but if you truly want to protect the phone and have something that looks fantastic than this would be a better choice. A phone this fantastic is worth the extra money.

Darkkn

Is it possible to replace things like messaging app and the calendar app? I like TW launcher, but the stock apps that they have replaced are almost all a downgrades. Some really hideous stuff, like the sudden skeuomorphism in calendar app is a bit out of place.

I got my S3 from Verizon today and I've tried two different SD cards, neither of them are working. They aren't detected in storage settings. Please don't say my phone is faulty. -_-

Niks

Here is the review I just wrote for the case I bought. Kind of a crappy review.

I just received my Belkin Grip Sheer case for my Samsung Galaxy S III and find it to be a very well make case. I purchased the Clear case because I wanted to show off the very nice Pebble Blue color I got my phone in. The case does have a slight tint to it so I can't see the phone through the case perfectly to show off the brilliant color of the phone but I can still see the color well enough while it's protected. This would be my only con to the phone and it's a very minimal one to begin with.

-Case fits my phone perfectly so it won't fall off but can be put on and off the phone with very little effort.
-Holes are cut out perfectly so all the ports can be accessed without having to take the case on and off.
-Power and volume buttons are covered up and need to be pressed with slightly more pressure than usual without the case but that can be helpful so buttons aren't accidentally pressed while in a pocket.
-Front and back holes are slightly raised so the camera and screen are protected when placed on surfaces.
-Case is lightweight at only .8 ounces so it doesn't add very much weight to the phone.
-Case isn't too thick so it doesn't make the phone feel bulky.
-Case is slick but adds more grip to the phone so it doesn't slide around as easily.

Overall I am loving this case so far and find it to be completely worth the money. Go ahead and buy cheaper cases but if you truly want to protect the phone and have something that looks fantastic than this would be a better choice. A phone this fantastic is worth the extra money.

Thanks! Any photos?

Phoenix

Interesting means of advertising, but no way am I going to start an NFC session with something I randomly find in public.

Curious. Why wouldn't you? Would you scan a QR code, join a public/free wifi, or install an app based on something you get from Starbucks?

kehs

Banned
Anyone know the pixel sizes for the lock screen and wallpaper? Want to start creating some before my phone gets here.

For wallpaper you want to target 1280x1280 since that's how they do have it setup for launchers that have rotation built in.

Lockscreen would like Toki said, 1280x720.

tokkun

Curious. Why wouldn't you? Would you scan a QR code, join a public/free wifi, or install an app based on something you get from Starbucks?

For the same reason I don't plug a USB key I find on the street into a computer: because I'm worried it might be a hacking/malware vector. I might be more likely to do so if I ran my phone stock, but I do so rooted which may make me more vulnerable.

To answer your specific questions:
Yes, I would scan a QR code if it came from a trusted source. I wouldn't do so if it was just a sticker on a wall out in public.
No, I wouldn't connect to unknown open WiFi networks. I don't do this with my laptop either. If the network is provided by a trusted source and I can verify this, I will use it, but I definitely will not connect to random "Free WiFi" hotspots.
In general I'm more likely to open up the Play Store and search for the app than use some alternate mechanism.

saunderez

For wallpaper you want to target 1280x1280 since that's how they do have it setup for launchers that have rotation built in.

I thought it was 2x screen width * screen height for home screen wallpapers. That's the guide I've always used which would be 1440 * 1280 on the SGSIII.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just put my order in, should get here in 3-5 days. Yay new phone. My Vibrant has been awesome but time for greener pastures.

Apdiddy

I just saw an ad for this phone prior to seeing a movie and I have to say -- for such a nice looking phone with (hopefully) good features, I have no desire to get one based on the ad.

For those wondering I'm talking about the ad with the emo indie guy typing the projectionist and sounding really annoying for over a minute

rc213

Did they remove the feature to record video and take pictures from the US models? Specifically the Tmobile version?

*NEVERMIND*

Can't have the Anti-Shake feature on.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
so I've been thinking of finally upgrading my old flip phone and getting a data plan, but the idea of basically doubling my current plan's rates and paying like $700 for a phone really, really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I currently pay $39.99 a month for 500 anytime minutes + unlimited text. Is there any way I could turn that into 500 minutes + unlimited text + unlimited data (5GB of 4G speeds) for $49.99? All I can find is $70 plans, and that's ridiculous.

I'm with TMobile, btw

Rad Agast

Picked up a white one a couple of days ago. It's my first android phone and so far I'm happy with it. Any recommendations regarding protective cases? I'm looking for some thing with a kick-stand.

inm8num2

As I await my Galaxy S3, I'm reading reviews of the Incredible 4G and feel more comfortable with my decision to not wait. The Incredible 4G seems like a great phone for the size, but the S3 is superior in the display, battery life, performance, etc.

I previously had an Incredible 2, so the larger form factor will take some adjusting, but I think the S3 is the way to go for better longetivity (hopefully).

satori

Ok I finally decided to upgrade my phone. I had the first samsung galaxy as my first smart phone and I love it. But it is showing its age :p My wife got the Galaxy II and it is a world of difference in terms of speed and response compare to my cell. I was about to pull the trigger on the Samsung Note but then caught wind of the S3. And after reading reviews and impression I am pretty much sold on the device.

My only concern now is which provider I will be going to. I have Att currently but I am more than willing to switch company. Data speed and having unlimited data is most important to me. Which lead me to my biggest concern, how is sprint? I understand it varies from locations, but I am just looking for some impression with people speed on the 4g and 3g network with sprint. I live in southern California and do a bit of traveling across a few cities for work. And when I have downtime I enjoy watching netflix or using my phone as a hotspot to tethering my laptop etc.

Out of all my family and friends I know of only two people that has sprint. And wouldn't you know, they don't own a smartphone or data plan ><. I wonder if there is a grace period where I can try sprint and return it with no question ask if it is not to my liking.

Edit: just did a quick check on sprint. looks like I can try a phone for 14 days and if I return the phone before then, you can get a full refund and wont be charged the ETF. Looks like I am heading to sprint in the morning after work:p Apologize for not doing the research before I made this post, its 4am and I am on my second shift lol. need coffee....

One huge thing to be aware of with sprint....they have two 4g networks and the galaxy only supports the new one which has only launched in four cities.....none in California yet

Cipherr

One huge thing to be aware of with sprint....they have two 4g networks and the galaxy only supports the new one which has only launched in four cities.....none in California yet

Yep Satori this is the only major problem from a Sprint perspective. If you arent in one of the initial rollout areas, you get absolutely no 4G until LTE gets moved to your area, and who knows when that will be.

But he said he is going to visit the Sprint store, so Im sure he will test the connection speed while he is there lol.

Emily Chu

Banned
So I'm now also rooted and such, and I'd like to remove bloatware, but I have no clue how.

What should I install?

any custom rom you like :D

http://rootzwiki.com/forum/507-galaxy-s-iii/

follow instructions and have fun!!
actually
it's slim pickens though @ the moment so just disable or uninstall the apps you don't like with Titanium backup

either just download the apk or install it from the play store

http://matrixrewriter.com/android/

this is what I used to do when I didn't have a nexus phone.

barrin87

I have my Galaxy S3 on Sprint and that's the only issue I have so far. They charge more 4G and I can't even use it. I am thinking about calling them to see if there is any way they can waive that extra $10 until LTE comes out.

LM4sure

Banned
I have my Galaxy S3 on Sprint and that's the only issue I have so far. They charge more 4G and I can't even use it. I am thinking about calling them to see if there is any way they can waive that extra $10 until LTE comes out.

They won't waive it. I tried that a couple of years ago when they first implemented it and wimax wasn't available in my area. You can Google it, and you'll see many have tried to get it waived, all have failed.

I'm actually dumping sprint when my contract is up. Wimax coverage has been terrible, and I won't be duped again. Their lte coverage could be awful so I'm going with a proven lte network, either verizon or att.

You can't, iPhone users have to pay that shit too. It's part of the reason why I left. With that extra 10, and the discounts they've been shaving off, Verizon or ATT comes out to about the same price. I also had a bigger discount on sprint too. Go figure.

Cipherr

That's not how it works. Everyone on Sprint with a smartphone pays that 10 bucks. I'm not sure what its called, but it should be called the smartphone tax so people understood it better, because it damn sure isn't a 4G tax. Even non 4G smartphones leave you with that 10$, and its non negotiable.

If you tell them you will drop your 10 year account with them and sign somewhere else if they dont remove that 10$, they will point you towards the door.

Sure is nice being in their area for their first LTE rollout :D Get the benefits and none of the bullshit

barrin87

That's not how it works. Everyone on Sprint with a smartphone pays that 10 bucks. I'm not sure what its called, but it should be called the smartphone tax so people understood it better, because it damn sure isn't a 4G tax. Even non 4G smartphones leave you with that 10$, and its non negotiable.

If you tell them you will drop your 10 year account with them and sign somewhere else if they dont remove that 10$, they will point you towards the door.

Sure is nice being in their area for their first LTE rollout :D Get the benefits and none of the bullshit

Really? I had no idea about that. It even says on my bill and when I signed up for Sprint with my original EVO that the $10 was specifically for having 4G. If you can't get out of that extra $10 than they should just add it into the price for data.

I guess that's the way Sprint dupes people into paying extra.

That wouldn't push me over to sign up for a different carrier though. I was paying close to around the same price when I had AT&T and I didn't even have data. It sucks I can't get LTE yet but I doubt I am in a big area for LTE for any carrier at the moment anyway.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I would have switched to Sprint if it weren't for that $10 per phone charge. Instead of paying only $10 per month more than I currently am on Tmobile, I would have been paying $30 more per month. Nope, sorry Sprint.

Phoenix

For the same reason I don't plug a USB key I find on the street into a computer: because I'm worried it might be a hacking/malware vector. I might be more likely to do so if I ran my phone stock, but I do so rooted which may make me more vulnerable.

To answer your specific questions:
Yes, I would scan a QR code if it came from a trusted source. I wouldn't do so if it was just a sticker on a wall out in public.
No, I wouldn't connect to unknown open WiFi networks. I don't do this with my laptop either. If the network is provided by a trusted source and I can verify this, I will use it, but I definitely will not connect to random "Free WiFi" hotspots.
In general I'm more likely to open up the Play Store and search for the app than use some alternate mechanism.

This is interesting information to have a conversation about :) I am curious how others feel on the subject. I may start another thread next week to have a separate discussion on that.

Top Bottom