• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

FireCloud

So I'm now also rooted and such, and I'd like to remove bloatware, but I have no clue how.

What should I install?

I know it doesn't remove the apps but is ICS support for disabling apps still present on the S3 specifically on Verizon? I wondered if the carriers disabled support for freezing their bloatware.

Jerrod

Can you get S Voice to read text messages to you (as in you are driving and you get a text and say something like "read new text")? I was trying to get it to work on my friends S3 and S Voice couldn't even understand what I was trying to do, just kept turning Driving Mode on and off when we weren't even in a car.

I am usually a pretty early adopter on the newest batches of phones (like when the dual cores hit the US markets etc) but I am struggling to give a shit about this phone.

I feel like it's a super in-betweenie phone that will be majorly topped as early as this fall. Nice, for now, but not worth some huge contract change now as opposed to the fall.

I know Verizon/Samsung/every other Android maker must have something big up their sleeve. The new iPhone is going to be pretty dramatic, so the response in the fall from Android handset makers will need to be too. I have my fingers crossed that the Galaxy Note II will be on Verizon and for that reason I am waiting.

Cipherr

I am usually a pretty early adopter on the newest batches of phones (like when the dual cores hit the US markets etc) but I am struggling to give a shit about this phone.

I feel like it's a super in-betweenie phone that will be majorly topped as early as this fall. Nice, for now, but not worth some huge contract change now as opposed to the fall.

I know Verizon/Samsung/every other Android maker must have something big up their sleeve. The new iPhone is going to be pretty dramatic, so the response in the fall from Android handset makers will need to be too. I have my fingers crossed that the Galaxy Note II will be on Verizon and for that reason I am waiting.

In mobile phone land, its always every six months. I hate to say it, but when you see that sweet new phone in Q4 of this year, your only gonna be six months away from the HTC Two X and the Galaxy S4 flagships that will hit in June of 2013. The only winning move is not to play at all.
Or spend about 1900 a year on phones.

The next Jesus Note will indeed probably be amazing though.

Pctx

Banned

Sums up my feelings. I've looked at the GS3 but the lack of updates with Jelly Bean due out next week is pushing me into a Nexus.

TimeKillr

I know it doesn't remove the apps but is ICS support for disabling apps still present on the S3 specifically on Verizon? I wondered if the carriers disabled support for freezing their bloatware.

I have no clue. I'm on Rogers anyway :)

So I just installed Titanium Backup and am slowly starting to remove the bloatware, one by one, but there are some things I don't know if they are bloatware or not... I'm still not familiar enough with Android to know.

buhdeh

I like the S3 but the colors are terrible (I work in a very corporate environment so I'd prefer a black phone) and I don't think I can deal with TouchWiz and the possibility of waiting for months until it gets JellyBean.

Does anyone know how to improve the Smart Alert vibration?

(Smart Alert being when you miss a call, get a text, etc while your not holding your phone, then when you next pick it up it vibrates to let you know you have a missed notification)

Currently it's just a feeble 'buzz' ... kind of reminds me of soggy cereal, I want it to buzz ferociously ... like a jackhammer.

Linkhero1

Love this phone. My only issue so far is that it keeps changing the words as I type and it's annoying. I've went into the settings and turned it off, but then auto correct stops working. Any help?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Love this phone. My only issue so far is that it keeps changing the words as I type and it's annoying. I've went into the settings and turned it off, but then auto correct stops working. Any help?

Try an alternate keyboard? Like Swiftkey?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I like the keyboard though :(

Swiftkey with Holo theme is near identical.

But if I understand you correctly you want auto-correct suggestions, but not auto-insert live as you type? Then Swiftkey does that, auto-suggests corrections but leaves what you type visible (even if incorrect) and you have the option to auto-correct on hitting space.

Linkhero1

Swiftkey with Holo theme is near identical.

But if I understand you correctly you want auto-correct suggestions, but not auto-insert live as you type? Then Swiftkey does that, auto-suggests corrections but leaves what you type visible (even if incorrect) and you have the option to auto-correct on hitting space.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

massoluk

Banned
Try Swype keyboard. You have to go to their website to get their beta software, but it's wonderful.

Is there any recommendation for Android gamepad to go along with my new shiny phone? I thought I saw picture of one that is pretty compact and can be attached to the phone when in used, but Amazon search got nuthing.

teiresias

Sums up my feelings. I've looked at the GS3 but the lack of updates with Jelly Bean due out next week is pushing me into a Nexus.

What exactly should they be updating to at this point since JB isn't out yet for anything and it's already running on ICS?

tokkun

So what is the consensus white or blue?

I went to look at both side-by-side this morning, and personally I thought the blue looked much better. I was kind of surprised at that, since I own a white PSP and DS, and I think the white Galaxy SII looked really good, but something about the white GSIII just didn't look right to me.

You should make your own judgment, though.

Violater

I went to look at both side-by-side this morning, and personally I thought the blue looked much better. I was kind of surprised at that, since I own a white PSP and DS, and I think the white Galaxy SII looked really good, but something about the white GSIII just didn't look right to me.

You should make your own judgment, though.

Indeed, I am waiting till Verizon and Sprint get's them in the store so I can go test the speeds in my area as well. As much as I hate sprints service their monthly rate is within my current range.

Toki767

So what is the consensus white or blue?

To me the white looks a hell of a lot more like someone dipped the phone in huge amounts of plastic than the blue. The blue color really isn't all that blue depending on the lighting too. It looks more greyish, sometimes even gunmetal-ish to me most of the time.

Ephemeris

I prefer darker phones myself, but the white one looks better to me. :/

That said, it would annoy me if I had to see this black bar on the white phone all the time:

More-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Android-4.1-Jellybean-rumors.jpg

04.jpg

tokkun

To me the white looks a hell of a lot more like someone dipped the phone in huge amounts of plastic than the blue. The blue color really isn't all that blue depending on the lighting too. It looks more greyish, sometimes even gunmetal-ish to me most of the time.

Yeah, the blue looks much darker in person than it does in the PR shots. And both phones are much glossier.

Edit: One negative aspect of the blue is that because it is dark and glossy, the back of the phone shows fingerprints fairly easily, though not as bad as piano black devices. The white one is better in this regard.

Swag

Can anyone give any comments on this compared to an Iphone 4s, read the Engadget review but it didn't touch much on this. Selling my 4s to my sister and I have the choice between this or a Blackberry( lol ).

Toki767

Can anyone give any comments on this compared to an Iphone 4s, read the Engadget review but it didn't touch much on this. Selling my 4s to my sister and I have the choice between this or a Blackberry( lol ).

Most of my friends with a 4S were pretty amazed by this phone. Even doing Siri vs S Voice tests they were very impressed. Then there's watching actual HD video on a really big screen. Performance wise the 4S probably is better for gaming, but this phone is a multitasking machine. Everything else is probably the same for the most part.

They aren't the most tech savvy people in the world though.

Swag

Most of my friends with a 4S were pretty amazed by this phone. Even doing Siri vs S Voice tests they were very impressed. Then there's watching actual HD video on a really big screen. Performance wise the 4S probably is better for gaming, but this phone is a multitasking machine. Everything else is probably the same for the most part.
Thanks, the Google Marketplace is available internationally correct? I'm in South Africa on vacation for a while and will need to replace most of the apps I use, also in regards to updates am I out of luck till I return to the US, iirc 4.1 is coming out soon.
Which Blackberry?
Not sure, maybe a Bold.
Get this.
Well, it's really between keeping the 4s or getting an S3

Toki767

Thanks, the Google Marketplace is available internationally correct? I'm in South Africa on vacation for a while and will need to replace most of the apps I use, also in regards to updates am I out of luck till I return to the US, iirc 4.1 is coming out soon.

The Play Store I believe uses whatever region your Google account is tied to. Are you getting the international version or one of the US versions? If you get the international version you'll have no problems updating whenever Samsung releases the update. If you're getting the US version you'll probably be waiting a little longer since updates have to go through carriers for approval first. That said, even though 4.1 is coming out this month for Nexus phones, I wouldn't expect it on the S3 until the Fall.

Swag

The Play Store I believe uses whatever region your Google account is tied to. Are you getting the international version or one of the US versions? If you get the international version you'll have no problems updating whenever Samsung releases the update. If you're getting the US version you'll probably be waiting a little longer since updates have to go through carriers for approval first. That said, even though 4.1 is coming out this month for Nexus phones, I wouldn't expect it on the S3 until the Fall.
I plan on buying one here in South Africa, so I'm assuming it'll be the international version, that being said my Google Account is American based. Will I have any problems using the International version of the phone when I return to the US?

HildyB

Got my ATT White S3 today, switching from the iPhone 4. Little bit of culture shock haha. But its very pretty and runs smooth.

Still figuring it all out, i'm a bit lost without iTunes leading my way. i LOVE widgets though... love love love.

Toki767

I plan on buying one here in South Africa, so I'm assuming it'll be the international version, that being said my Google Account is American based. Will I have any problems using the International version of the phone when I return to the US?

The international versions come unlocked already so you shouldn't have any problems at all when you come back to the US.

Got my ATT White S3 today, switching from the iPhone 4. Little bit of culture shock haha. But its very pretty and runs smooth.

Still figuring it all out, i'm a bit lost without iTunes leading my way. i LOVE widgets though... love love love.

Samsung released that program to migrate your Apple stuff over to the S3. I think it's currently only for the international version, though maybe it works on the US models now. Obviously if you have any questions people here are happy to answer.

A.Romero

Got mine last night and it is amazing.

As some people has been saying, it doesn't really look blue. Most of the time it looks kind of grey. The materials are, as everyone knows, all plastic. It feels good on the hand and very light (which is important for me because I normally put it on my shirt pocket). The back cover is very thin but I don't particularly mind although I can see why some might not like it.

The screen is great, high res and vibrant colors. HD videos look pretty cool, including youtube HD.

It does sound good, I haven't had the chance to test it with my Sennheiser headphones but normal earbuds sound great.

The phone is unbelievably snappy. I'm coming from a I9000 and also have an iPhone 4 so it was kind of a big step up. I normally read ebooks on the kindle app and on other devices it was a bit of a pain to leave the app to answer a text or something similar. Not anymore. It responds very good.

The movement gestures (direct call, smart alert, etc) work pretty well too.

The only thing I'm not so happy about is touchwiz. On my I9000 I was running a custom rom (slim) that was pretty close to stock performance and I sorely miss it. There are options right now to flash the phone but I want to make sure there are no issues before voiding my warranty.

In short:

Pros: Fast, comfortable
Cons: Touchwiz

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Coming from a Galaxy S Captivate phone with Gingerbread rom to this phone...feels like Im discovering new shit all the time lol. Spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out where my widgets were :p

Also love some of the newer apps. I never really updated much from my phone so I probably just had alot of outdated stuff to begin with too.

zedge

Got mine last night and it is amazing.

As some people has been saying, it doesn't really look blue. Most of the time it looks kind of grey. The materials are, as everyone knows, all plastic. It feels good on the hand and very light (which is important for me because I normally put it on my shirt pocket). The back cover is very thin but I don't particularly mind although I can see why some might not like it.

The screen is great, high res and vibrant colors. HD videos look pretty cool, including youtube HD.

It does sound good, I haven't had the chance to test it with my Sennheiser headphones but normal earbuds sound great.

The phone is unbelievably snappy. I'm coming from a I9000 and also have an iPhone 4 so it was kind of a big step up. I normally read ebooks on the kindle app and on other devices it was a bit of a pain to leave the app to answer a text or something similar. Not anymore. It responds very good.

The movement gestures (direct call, smart alert, etc) work pretty well too.

The only thing I'm not so happy about is touchwiz. On my I9000 I was running a custom rom (slim) that was pretty close to stock performance and I sorely miss it. There are options right now to flash the phone but I want to make sure there are no issues before voiding my warranty.

In short:

Pros: Fast, comfortable
Cons: Touchwiz

Alot of your pros are due to your con... ;)

legacyzero

Banned
PURCHASE SUCCESSFUL!

igt3McltlqrpS.gif

Damn, I hate talking to Tele-sales for ANY company. That shit was torture. All the terms and conditions she had to read through, the accent that I could barely understand, and all my answers being a cleaver way of saying "just give me my fucking phone already" LOL.

Damn I'm so excited.

minx

First thing I did was switch to SwiftKey 3. The stock keyboard plain sucks. SwiftKey 3 is amazing.

Top Bottom