• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I checked the settings and have everything turned off under Nearby Devices yet it still syncs pictures from laptop. Anyone else having this issue?

When you say it's syncing, how do you know? do you mean through an application, like Kies? Dropbox?

If your phone is connected to your laptop, unless it's an app on either device, there is only a limited way it can happen.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
When you say it's syncing, how do you know? do you mean through an application, like Kies? Dropbox?

If your phone is connected to your laptop, unless it's an app on either device, there is only a limited way it can happen.

No, it doesn't go through any app. When I check the gallery and if my laptop is on another folder in the gallery opens up with the name from my laptop and then it starts synchronizing the photos on it's own. The way I found to stop it was going into my laptop and go to the sharing settings and turned it off. It's kinda annoying that I can't find a setting within the phone to stop it.

mike23

I did some math because I was bored. If I were on the 2gb data plan instead of unlimited, I could hit the cap in <18 minutes at the 4g speeds I get. If I let it go all month, I could run up a bill of almost $49,000 just in data overages.

Anyway, loving my white S3. Infinitely better than my POS Incredible.

Violater

I did some math because I was bored. If I were on the 2gb data plan instead of unlimited, I could hit the cap in <18 minutes at the 4g speeds I get. If I let it go all month, I could run up a bill of almost $49,000 just in data overages.

Fuck don't tell me things like this you are going to make me stick with poopy
shitty
Sprint

I really want to upgrade my Galaxy S to the S III but I learned the other day that Sprint hasn't rolled out their 4G LTE service in New York City yet. Apparently the Galaxy S III isn't even compatible with Sprint's regular old 4G network that I use on my original Galaxy S right now. If so I refuse to upgrade until they roll it out, I stream way way too much video on my phone to deal with 3G (low res, buffer times, annoyingly slow).

Anyone else have Sprint? Is this true?

BiggNife

The 2GB limit really isn't that bad as long you're aware of it. If I'm connected to wifi I just turn the 4G off, and there's an option in the settings that monitors your data and warns you if it looks like you're going to go over.

Not saying I didn't wish I had unlimited, but considering the data plan on my old Blackberry was 150 Megabytes, it's a nice step up.

Nemesis_

Yeah the blue is just so sexy. I don't think I'll bother with a flip case until one that shows notifications pops up.

The BRUSHED FINISH on it is just so nice, wish there was some way to just get the backing.

The flip covers are quite nice but they add bulk to it, the backing itself is a little bit thicker but it is a bit noticeable.

Slizz

Just figured out how to take screenshots. Can't believe it was so simple.

Pressing Power button+Home button simultaneously does it.

BiggNife

I like the look of the blue phone but I think I'm going to get a case - it's a little more slippery than my old phone and I'm afraid I'm going to end up dropping it at some point.

weird, picked up the new S3 today and despite not preordering, he said that it went through same price as my old plan (droidx unlimited 3G) with unlimited 4G

How can I see on my contract that its unlimited? If it was limited to say 2GB would that be whats printed?

Shows on my contract (ie no explicit mention of unlimited)

4G Data Transport
RTR for Unlimited plans $0
4G Internet Access
4G Application Access
PS wow this device is gorgeous. 4G + ICS = beautiful

Just figured out how to take screenshots. Can't believe it was so simple.

Pressing Power button+Home button simultaneously does it.

oh nice!

Also, if I wanted to capture video of the screen itself to upload a tutorial on YouTube is there an easy way to do that?

Mudkips

Banned
So am I missing something here?
dTpC6l.jpg

Clearly says I'm adding "email and data unlimited" for 29.99 plus there is a 4g code on the list , and on the bottom it says I'm removing email and web but for 3G device...

4G data plans are separated out from 3G data plans so they can kill off grandfathered 3G unlimited plans.

If you have a grandfathered unlimited 3G data plan, and you buy a 4G device, you'll have to force your device to run in 3G only. You won't be able to get a data connection when it tries to get on 4G unless you upgrade your plan to 4G. And by upgrading, you'll be forced to pay the big bucks.

I'm on $20/month for unlimited (truly unlimited) 3G + 200 texts. I'll never move to 4G unless I get work to pay for it.

weird, picked up the new S3 today and despite not preordering, he said that it went through same price as my old plan (droidx unlimited 3G) with unlimited 4G

How can I see on my contract that its unlimited? If it was limited to say 2GB would that be whats printed?

Shows on my contract (ie no explicit mention of unlimited)

PS wow this device is gorgeous. 4G + ICS = beautiful

oh never mind, I logged into my account and its there

UNLIMITED MEGABYTE ALLOW

UNLIMITED MEGABYTE

UNLIMITED

fuuuuuuuuu

PhatSaqs

Banned
Ok a real wtf about this phone. I can surf the internet and send messages from apps while in a call, both things I couldnt do on my Droid X.......awesomely wonderful.....

I CANNOT take a picture while on a call!?? Something I could do on my Droid X.......[scratches head furiously]

Did you get the unlimited 4g or not? Can't tell!

yeah, same price as old 3G unlimited got me 4G unlimited crazy - I had to check to ensure it

I had no idea how nice 4G + modern phone (S3) + ICS was like a whole different type of device.

I did call verizon before the 28th last month (last deadline right to preorder to grandfather?) but despite expressing a preference, I didnt actually preorder one. No idea if I was somehow logged in the system or what.

the guy was very surprised when he saw the data plan was unlimited. they only got the phones in today, and this was his first sale. before he tried the transaction he told me it would be 2GB then $10 per month per extra GB, but he said "oh wow, thats weird. it let me enter into the system as unlimited for the same price"

Ashhong

How so?
Same could be said about your comment, anyway back on topic.
another one http://youtu.be/K7e9ebi41Wc

Because the damage to the phone is highly dependent on how it dropped? Did you notice how the first test, the iphone and the GS3 land in completely different positions? Absolutely stupid test.

Also, isn't Gorilla Glass mainly for scratch resistance? It's still going to shatter if you drop it on the right spot.

Violater

Because the damage to the phone is highly dependent on how it dropped? Did you notice how the first test, the iphone and the GS3 land in completely different positions? Absolutely stupid test.

TBH, I didn't care about the vs Iphone part as I have no intention of buying an Iphone.
I have a cheap ass samsung intercept in a body glove case and I have dropped it more times than I can remember without damaging the phone.
So I guess when I buy the S3 I will have a hulking case waiting to put it in, as I'm not into cellphone fashion I wont care about bulk and hiding the beauty of the phone.

Ashhong

TBH, I didn't care about the vs Iphone part as I have no intention of buying an Iphone.
I have a cheap ass samsung intercept in a body glove case and I have dropped it more times than I can remember without damaging the phone.
So I guess when I buy the S3 I will have a hulking case waiting to put it in, as I'm not into cellphone fashion I wont care about bulk and hiding the beauty of the phone.

I wasn't comparing it to how the iPhone holds up. I was comparing the drop angle. If you think you can get any kind of smartphone these days and be able to drop it more times than you can remember without damaging it, you are kidding yourself.

I was merely answering your question of why the video is stupid and useless.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The problem with these kind of guesses is that it assumes you have the capability to run absolutely max bandwidth through the phone - besides, most of them have overage caps and will throttle the shit out of you if you tried to go max speed 100% of the time.

hope32

anyone else getting terrible battery life?

Mine goes down like 1% a minute when browsing GAF wondering if my battery or phone is defective..

Slizz

anyone else getting terrible battery life?

Mine goes down like 1% a minute when browsing GAF wondering if my battery or phone is defective..

Normal use for me is lasting about 24-26 hrs. Browsing GAF on Wi-Fi at night, using it to play a lot of games, calls and texting.

rozay

Banned
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but regardless of what kind of branding the glass on your phone has, if you drop it at the wrong angle it will shatter.

mike23

The problem with these kind of guesses is that it assumes you have the capability to run absolutely max bandwidth through the phone - besides, most of them have overage caps and will throttle the shit out of you if you tried to go max speed 100% of the time.

I would hope they would call you before you hit $50k, but who knows. It's happened to people before with roaming charges and stuff.

To address your other point, I was just giving a theoretical max. Even if you cut utilization to 50% average over the month, it's still 25,000 dollars. Even just 10% would be close to a 5,000 dollar bill, which is still outrageous.

I wonder what the markup is on 1 gigabyte of data overage. They charge $10, it probably costs south of a penny.

hope32

no. even with my spotty 3G (sprint) it doesn't go down that quick.

damn.. wondering if mine is defective :( my wifi was also dropping a lot when i first set it up.

everything else about the phone is awesome including the screen, would hate to exchange it and get a shitty screen

4G data plans are separated out from 3G data plans so they can kill off grandfathered 3G unlimited plans.

If you have a grandfathered unlimited 3G data plan, and you buy a 4G device, you'll have to force your device to run in 3G only. You won't be able to get a data connection when it tries to get on 4G unless you upgrade your plan to 4G. And by upgrading, you'll be forced to pay the big bucks.

I'm on $20/month for unlimited (truly unlimited) 3G + 200 texts. I'll never move to 4G unless I get work to pay for it.

It's amazing how every single word in this post is wrong. Every word.

torontoml

Yp, got Nova but no crashes, can you duplicate the events leading to the crash (so I can try the same)?

just sitting on the home screen most times, my minimalistic text widget comes up as "problem loading widget" then a few minutes later it crashes. Similar thing happened with my calender widget earlier.

Mudkips

Banned
It's amazing how every single word in this post is wrong. Every word.

I've been trying for a month to get AT&T to let my grandfathered, unlimited 3G data plan work with 4G without "upgrading" my contract.

Everything I've said is 100% true for old unlimited 3G plans. My plan is over 6 years old.
I am not referring to "unlimited" 3G plans. I am referring to the original, actually-unlimited 3G plans.

And yes I realize AT&T is not Verizon. My girlfriend went through the same shit with TMobile and a friend went through it with Verizon. 4G is coded differently in the billing system so they can force an "upgrade" when the contract "changes" and get you on a more current pricing plan.

If Verizon lets some users out of it if they persist, that's great. But it's absolutely at their discretion. The older and cheaper your plan is, the more resistance you'll face. People who got in when data was a $15/month add-on are in the 4G pickle across all major carriers.

Sorry, thought you were talking about Verizon, even people with old altel plans where unlimited data is quoted as 0 they can still get Verizon 4g

rozay

Banned
I've been trying for a month to get AT&T to let my grandfathered, unlimited 3G data plan work with 4G without "upgrading" my contract.

Everything I've said is 100% true for old unlimited 3G plans. My plan is over 6 years old.
I am not referring to "unlimited" 3G plans. I am referring to the original, actually-unlimited 3G plans.

And yes I realize AT&T is not Verizon. My girlfriend went through the same shit with TMobile and a friend went through it with Verizon. 4G is coded differently in the billing system so they can force an "upgrade" when the contract "changes" and get you on a more current pricing plan.

If Verizon lets some users out of it if they persist, that's great. But it's absolutely at their discretion. The older and cheaper your plan is, the more resistance you'll face. People who got in when data was a $15/month add-on are in the 4G pickle across all major carriers.
Can't you just take an LTE phone to an at&t store and have them change your plan to LTE unlimited? A friend of mine was able to do that.

Top Bottom