• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Yes, I will be staying with Verizon. I am on Unlimited 4G and can't get that anywhere else (not going to Sprint) so I'm in a tough situation.

Returning it would hit them slightly as it would leave me out of contract, so that's something I guess. If they don't get the next Nexus I will likely leave and go Straight Talk or something with a straight from Google Nexus.

If you return it you would lose your upgrade. Verizon will love you even more. I'd sell it if you're not going to keep it. And if you do, PM me price! lol

Niks

I just picked up THIS Case, but from Best Buy. Right now they have this deal going on where if you buy the case (this one was $30) they will also give you and install the Invisible Shield screen protector for an additional $10.

Impressions of the Belkin case, so far from me, is that it works perfectly with the invisible shield in terms of covering the screen up until the case begins. The side buttons are only slightly harder to press, which I kind of preferred as I've already accidentally pressed the volume buttons while extending my thumb to type vertically. It's got a nice pliable, but hard casing feel. I feel pretty confident that If it fell it could handle the landing.

For a few dollars more they had another Belkin case that had a soft rubber skin that went around the phone and a hard shell that would fit over that. I didn't like the look, as I want to see my nice white phone, but it seemed like it would take an even harder beating, such as falling down some stairs.

Yeah, I think Im going to go with this case too.
Any issues with the camera? I mean with the cutouts being to close to the lens/flash?

That's incorrect. Returning within the 14 day period will negate the contract and reinstate your upgrade.

Yeah but that upgrade is worthless to you since you lose your unlimited if you upgrade to a different phone. Better off selling that and using that money towards a phone later you do want or even towards a developer edition.

Husker86

Yeah but that upgrade is worthless to you since you lose your unlimited if you upgrade to a different phone. Better off selling that and using that money towards a phone later you do want or even towards a developer edition.
Ah yes, you're right. That's actually the reason I got it in the first place since it was my last chance to use an upgrade and keep my unlimited.

I really only wanted to return it so I could bitch at them haha.

BiggNife

So I got the Verizon one today

I know some people are really upset about the locked bootloader, and I can totally understand why (I'm a little annoyed myself), but I'm still really happy with this phone. It's crazy fast and I'm impressed at the screen quality. Maybe it's because I'm upgrading from a crappy Blackberry bold, but I'm not really left yearning for more. I think I'll be fine using the stock rom for a good long while. Chances are someone will figure out how to break the locked bootloader anyway - it's already been rooted and people are working on ways to get around it.

Truth is that I'm happy with the phone as it is and I really don't want to go through the effort of ebaying it to get an unlocked phone. If that makes me crazy then so be it.

Ecto311

My wife has this case shown here and really likes it but recently seen on the site that they have one with pink sides. Anyone interested in this case? Id be willing to part with it for $20 shipped. Its a nice case and the rubber that surrounds the screen does an awesome job of keeping the screen off of tables and safe from drops I would assume.

Stock pic
CM-021166-SIII-POP-W.jpg

I can get pictures of the case if seriously interested. The case is days old and in like new condition but since we don't have the packaging we cant return it. I prefer amazon payments but take paypal also.

Futureman

Android comes preloaded in it's Alarm app a 'smart alarm' feature.

It basically plays a quiet soothing alarm 5 minutes before your alarms are meant to go up. If you're in deep sleep (ie 'sleep cycles' no movement) you generally sleep through it. However when you start waking up (ie 'sleep cycles' moving around) it pulls you out of sleep.

I'm sure there are hundreds of other apps that mimic sleep cycle on android though.

I don't see this anywhere on my Galaxy Nexus. It's on your GIII? Then I think it's a TouchWiz feature.

I see CM9 has been made available for the Sprint S3. Had been waiting for this ROM as my first attempt at rooting/flashing. Thing is, its a nightly version of CM9. What in the heck does that mean and how does it differ from a non-nightly CM9?

Husker86

I see CM9 has been made available for the Sprint S3. Had been waiting for this ROM as my first attempt at rooting/flashing. Thing is, its a nightly version of CM9. What in the heck does that mean and how does it differ from a non-nightly CM9?

Nightlies are likely to have bugs as they work to get the ROM completely stable.

f0nz0

So I'm a bit confused here about upgrading (currently with Verizon) , I'm on a 5 line fam plan with 4 of them on the unlimited data plan, I just started going through the online process of upgrading to the gs3, first it tells me if I want to keep my fam plan the same(I do) then next screen asks me to select the data features I want, now in this screen I get allllll the data options available, 2gb, 4gb, etc but at the very bottom of the list I see "unlimited email and web for smartphones -existing feature" I click on the radio button and a pop up window displays my Added features (which includes "Email and data unlimited 29.99)...

Does this mean I'm keeping my data in place??? If this seems to be the case, can I just go into a Verizon store tomorrow and get the device and not change a thing on my plan??

So I'm a bit confused here about upgrading (currently with Verizon) , I'm on a 5 line fam plan with 4 of them on the unlimited data plan, I just started going through the online process of upgrading to the gs3, first it tells me if I want to keep my fam plan the same(I do) then next screen asks me to select the data features I want, now in this screen I get allllll the data options available, 2gb, 4gb, etc but at the very bottom of the list I see "unlimited email and web for smartphones -existing feature" I click on the radio button and a pop up window displays my Added features (which includes "Email and data unlimited 29.99)...

Does this mean I'm keeping my data in place??? If this seems to be the case, can I just go into a Verizon store tomorrow and get the device and not change a thing on my plan??

You can keep unlimited data if
-you already have a 4g unlimited data plan...if you are coming from a 3g unlimted data plan theres no way to transfer that to a 4g unlimited data plan.
-purchase the phone at FULL retail(no 2 year discount)

saunderez

Nightlies are likely to have bugs as they work to get the ROM completely stable.

I wouldn't say that. Nightlies have just as much chance at being stable as a so called "stable" release due to the fact they might have fixed some major bugs missed in the "stable". The real issue with nightlies is they occasionally won't even boot and they're something an inexperienced user should stay away from. Bootloops aren't much fun kids!

Husker86

-you already have a 4g unlimited data plan...if you are coming from a 3g unlimted data plan theres no way to transfer that to a 4g unlimited data plan.

Hmm, interesting. I thought even those of us who are grandfathered with unlimited LTE plans would have to change when upgrading.

RuGalz

Anyone know if there is a way to change the BT button function to launch Voice Action instead of S Voice? It's such a piece of junk.... Verizon version here...

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Well after a day with the GSIII I have some opinions of it versus the Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks for the review. At first I didn't want any Sprint LTE phone because who knows when LTE would even be active, but the current sale on the SG3 and NG on Sprint is almost too good to pass up.

I was really leaning to the NG because of Google's OTA update support vs. Samsung's shitty update schedule for the US. Sure it's custom roms, but do custom roms support NFC or even LTE for that matter? The positive for the SG3 is that it has 2 gigs of ram, a removable battery, and microsd card support but at the cost of having official updates :\

VanWinkle

I need a little clarification on this. I have the unlimited data. It's only 3G because we don't have LTE in my city. I also pre-ordered this phone BEFORE the 28th when the share everything plans started. Will I still have unlimited data when LTE comes to my town?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Got this phone today and the only thing that I haven't been able to figures out is in the gallery. The gallery tries to sync pictures from my laptop through wifi and I would like to disable that, anyone know a link or how to do it?

Got this phone today and the only thing that I haven't been able to figures out is in the gallery. The gallery tries to sync pictures from my laptop through wifi and I would like to disable that, anyone know a link or how to do it?

Is it trying to do it through Nearby Devices (file sharing)?

atomsk

Party Pooper
So I wake up to another update (sprint), and go check the forums to find out wtf it was

Enhancements/Fixes:
- Google security update

So I read a little further...

"Looks like Google Search bar no longer searches anything on the phone. This comes on the heels of the Apple patent lawsuit against the search feature."

Oh, so you can push this out, but not the screen brightness slider?

G2sjb.png

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man my girlfriend is going to want that.

I hope it's available non-exclusively outside of the US.

Violater

So I wake up to another update (sprint), and go check the forums to find out wtf it was

Enhancements/Fixes:
- Google security update

So I read a little further...

"Looks like Google Search bar no longer searches anything on the phone. This comes on the heels of the Apple patent lawsuit against the search feature."

Oh, so you can push this out, but not the screen brightness slider?

G2sjb.png

That sucks, fucking apple shitting up the industry.

Crap double post

Sidebar what kinds of 4G speeds are you getting and what's your area?

grendelrt

Got my S3 yesterday and have been moving everything over from my Droid X. My DroidX had a battery option where you could set certain periods of the night as being low usage where it would shut stuff down to save battery overnight, does the S3 have this somewhere?

Toki767

The red phone looks cool, but I think it might look pretty different in real life just like how the blue looks compared to the press shots.

I need a little clarification on this. I have the unlimited data. It's only 3G because we don't have LTE in my city. I also pre-ordered this phone BEFORE the 28th when the share everything plans started. Will I still have unlimited data when LTE comes to my town?

As long as you aren't changing anything to your plan (as in adding new lines, more minutes, texts, ect), you should be grandfathered with your previous plans. If they tell you otherwise, ask to speak with a manager because they probably are told to push for people to break away from unlimited plans.

Top Bottom