• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
i love att lte
202637105.png

:eek:
LTE needs to expand more within NorCal :/

So I wanted to make a tutorial video of an android app, anyone recommend a program to use?

I don't intend any actual live video footage of a person, just screens or video of the android app itself. In other words, an android equivalent of a demo-builder type program for capturing PC footage.

-edit I found something called Screencast Video Recorder but it sounds like it may not work with the S3

f0nz0

yeah, same price as old 3G unlimited got me 4G unlimited crazy - I had to check to ensure it

I had no idea how nice 4G + modern phone (S3) + ICS was like a whole different type of device.

I did call verizon before the 28th last month (last deadline right to preorder to grandfather?) but despite expressing a preference, I didnt actually preorder one. No idea if I was somehow logged in the system or what.

the guy was very surprised when he saw the data plan was unlimited. they only got the phones in today, and this was his first sale. before he tried the transaction he told me it would be 2GB then $10 per month per extra GB, but he said "oh wow, thats weird. it let me enter into the system as unlimited for the same price"

By any chance are you currently getting a corporate discount?? I mentioned yesterday about trying to ore order the gs3 off the Verizon site and all signs pointed to me being able to keep my nlimited data, I didn't want to risk them catching it since they wouldn't ship me the phone till a couple days later...so what I ended up doing is ordering a galaxy nexus, I went through the order process, kept my unlimited, got the confirmation email with it clearly stating that I'd keep my unlimited data, and I should have the phone by Monday, now when I get the nexus I plan on heading to the Verizon store and exchanging it for the gs3, since it will be only an exchange and not a renewal/upgrade, so my data SHOULD stay the same....

Ecto311

anyone else getting terrible battery life?

Mine goes down like 1% a minute when browsing GAF wondering if my battery or phone is defective..

I did have that problem with mine. Then my wife got one and I seen that the battery should be a lot better so I swapped it at att and this new one seems to be a lot better. I'd swap it if possible. The old one did the same thing, it would drop 1% doing nothing. A few pages back I posted my screen shot in this post of the battery usage.

By any chance are you currently getting a corporate discount?? I mentioned yesterday about trying to ore order the gs3 off the Verizon site and all signs pointed to me being able to keep my nlimited data, I didn't want to risk them catching it since they wouldn't ship me the phone till a couple days later...so what I ended up doing is ordering a galaxy nexus, I went through the order process, kept my unlimited, got the confirmation email with it clearly stating that I'd keep my unlimited data, and I should have the phone by Monday, now when I get the nexus I plan on heading to the Verizon store and exchanging it for the gs3, since it will be only an exchange and not a renewal/upgrade, so my data SHOULD stay the same....

no, no corporate discount or anything, had a droidx with unlimited 3G regular price about 2 years ago

I bought it from within a costco, so I think technically it was a third party vendor acting on behalf of verizon. its a small little "hut" inside costco that sells devices for verizon, tmobile and maybe more. its backed by costco return policy which is great. I am paranoid of bad pixels but being a samsung, I had a feeling screen would be flawless and it was

satori

So I got back from the Sprint store to test out their 3g (4g is not here yet in california), and man this is why they still have unlimited data!! I was getting horrible speeds, did a speed test and got over 500 ping at like 300k dl speed. Sigh so I will stick with my Att.

Anyways went to my local best buy had my nice S3 in hand about to buy it, when a guy turns to me and says, "that s3 is a great phone, but I am waiting for the Note 2". So we both ask the clerk and he said the Note 2 should be hitting some time in September or October. Sorry if this is off topic, but any user here have the Samsung Note? That was the phone I was going to upgrade to before learning about the S3. But if the Note 2 is right around the corner I might be able to wait. My galaxy 1 is on it's last leg and I really need to replace it. I love that big screen, makes reading neogaf easier :p

I am really torn between getting the S3 or wait for the Note 2.

basik

dont bother trying to play dungeon defenders... I havent played it before so went and downloaded it from market..says its compatible.. then 600mb d/l over wifi...and it force closes everytime I try to open it to play. others with s3 in review comments say the same.

has anyone tried order & chaos online with this phone?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
After trying to sell my evo 3d to best buy, they refused to take it because of "water" damage. Another day another thread..but I did get to see the GS3 in person..It's huge...like original Evo huge vs. the Evo 3d huge. So when I got home, I pulled the trigger for a gs3 on amazon. It's already a OS behind but with the specs and the fact that I won't be able to upgrade for another 2 years, it's built for the future. Thanks for the reviews guys!

AndyD

aka andydumi
This thing is amazing. Activated it last night. Still cant get over how thin it is. I also want a different back that maybe has a touch of texture. An anodized brushed metal back would be wonderful. I think I will go to the store and check out the flip cover too.

Just fantastic feeling after one day. I cant get over how fast it is, how smooth of an OS and how beautiful of a screen. Coming from a Thunderbolt its night and day. And unlimited Verizon 4G will come in handy next few weeks with the Olympics streaming everything live.

inm8num2

Side question regarding the SG3 on Verizon - I am upgrading from a 3G phone with unlimited. Did a preorder and conserved unlimited.

If I choose to not keep the SG3, can I still keep unlimited? I feel like I have a few options:

1. Return to Verizon without activating
2. Return to Verizon after activating (restocking fee)
3. Don't open or activate the phone at all, sell it to someone
4. Activate phone, then downgrade to my Droid Incredible 2 and sell the SG3 to someone

Will my unlimited be preserved in all these cases?

Also, if you return a phone to Verizon within 14 days, does that mean that the contract is nullified? I'm on a family plan and used an alternate upgrade from another person's line.

I held a Galaxy SIII in my hands today. My boss bought himself one.

It's a fine piece of tech, but I'm gonna wait to see what Apple has cooking with the iPhone 5. I don't have a smart phone and I want to buy one through the corporate plan where I work. Right now I'm pretty torn:

Galaxy SIII pluses:

- phone is less expensive
- SD card capability makes memory less expensive as well
- more customizable
- more powerful

iPhone pluses:

- sexier metal + glass design IMO
- more apps and games (I think)
- iTunes; as a longtime music junkie with an iPod, I feel a strong attachment to iTunes and more importantly my playcount history.

Your game, Apple.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Is there something Im missing to get my photos automatically uploaded to my picasa account? I could do it just fine on my Galaxy S Captivate but having troubles with the S3.

I have everything sync'ed on my accounts. Even DL'ed the Google+ app and turned on Auto Upload but it wont upload and when I click on it to Upload Now via Google+ app it just sits at 0/231 photos seemingly forever.

edit: Okay apparently restarting my phone gets my passed that hurdle where it just sat there waiting to upload.

Nakazato

It's a fine piece of tech, but I'm gonna wait to see what Apple has cooking with the iPhone 5. I don't have a smart phone and I want to buy one through the corporate plan where I work. Right now I'm pretty torn:

Galaxy SIII pluses:

- more customizable
- more powerful

iPhone pluses:

- iTunes; as a longtime music junkie with an iPod, I feel a strong attachment to iTunes and more importantly my playcount history.

Your game, Apple.

Google music is really good imo

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Galaxy SIII pluses:

- more customizable
- more powerful

iPhone pluses:

Your game, Apple.

I can understand play count history. But damn dude, cutting the cord of the shitfest that is Itunes (especially on Windows) is not a negative.

tigerin

here hoping that jelly bean will come to the s3 soon. i miss talking to siri!! one funny ai she is.

can you put your phone near your ear and ask a question or is that patented by apple?

VanWinkle

What are they chances of Google Now coming to the S3 when the Jelly Bean update comes? Since it's Samsung, I'm kind of worried they'll just keep it out to prevent the competition for S Voice (which kind of stinks from what I've been using).

Oh, also, I heard there was a nice built-in photo editor on this thing, but I'm not seeing it. Is it only on the international version or something?

Galaxy SIII pluses:

- more customizable
- more powerful

iPhone pluses:

Your game, Apple.

In a similar camp! Been using it for about a week or longer and I do like it, but I have a few hold ups about it

The until ate on is the UI. It's not that nice, and iOS has spoilt me. Even the UI of the apps, like I was trying to find a good London underground app, and I found a few, but there was nothing like Tube Deluxe fon the play store

But maybe I'm not who they cater to

Brilliant phone though, still really tempted

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So guys, I'm interested in picking up the Galaxy S3 as my first smart phone.

I live in NYC. What's the absolute best provider in the area? Also, what's the least expensive "deal" on the phone (when it comes to text and data plans). Keep in mind I don't plan to exceed 450 minutes or 2GB data per month. I'd like unlimited texting, though.

I want to get it ASAP, so I'd appreciate some quick and concise answers.

EDIT: Also, please tell me there's a Spotify app for the Galaxy S3!

VanWinkle

So guys, I'm interested in picking up the Galaxy S3 as my first smart phone.

I live in NYC. What's the absolute best provider in the area? Also, what's the least expensive "deal" on the phone (when it comes to text and data plans). Keep in mind I don't plan to exceed 450 minutes or 2GB data per month. I'd like unlimited texting, though.

I want to get it ASAP, so I'd appreciate some quick and concise answers.

EDIT: Also, please tell me there's a Spotify app for the Galaxy S3!

About Spotify, yes, there is an app, and it's up to ICS design guidelines. Looks fantastic. I use Rdio myself, but the Spotify app is great if you're a fan of that service.

mike23

About Spotify, yes, there is an app, and it's up to ICS design guidelines. Looks fantastic. I use Rdio myself, but the Spotify app is great if you're a fan of that service.

I can't pause/skip songs from the lock screen like I could on my Incredible though. Also, holding the volume up button while the screen is off just increases the volume quickly instead of skipping to the next song. Kind of disappointing since I used those features a lot.

edit: with Spotify

VanWinkle

I can't pause/skip songs from the lock screen like I could on my Incredible though. Also, holding the volume up button while the screen is off just increases the volume quickly instead of skipping to the next song. Kind of disappointing since I used those features a lot.

Huh, that's weird that it used to. Rdio can't pause/skip from lock screen either which I don't like but even worse for me is that I can't pause/skip from notifications! It seems like such a glaring omission, but I need a subscription service and Rdio seems to be the best suited to my needs so that's what I'm forced into using.

Haxxor

Yes you can, use the pattern lock and it will be enabled. You can use the (in my opinion) crappy remote thingy on the headphones that came with the S3 to skip songs .

JambiBum

Couple of things that I can't figure out how to change. Is there an easy way to make your incoming texts vibrate? Whenever I turn the phone on vibrate my texts are silent without a vibration. Also is there a way to remove the stupid suggested apps notification that shows up when you plug headphones in?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Rooted my device, whats the best keyboard for my device ?

also its good to use the live wallpapers now :p

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
swiftkey? the best I came across.

That's the one, i remember reading about it a while back (while browsing this very thread a day before the best phone ever made arrived)

Texting/using the normal keyboard for this phone was ruining my life. I was so used to the iphone 3g's auto correct.

Really loving the live wallpapers, i have these neon jelly fish chillin

Screenshot_2012_07_13_12_51_12_1.png

RuGalz

Rooted my device, whats the best keyboard for my device ?

also its good to use the live wallpapers now :p

I used to love Swiftkey but I think Swype has surpassed it again now that it does prediction and has longer listing for predictions (great for large screen!). Sometimes I swype sometimes I type; both ways work equally well.

Hey guys,

For the lay person that has never owned (and very rarely even used) a smartphone, what makes the Galaxy phone better than any other phone on the market?

I'm still trying to decide whether to grab this phone or hold off till the fall for the iPhone 5 or whether I should look into alternative phones.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, another question, how do I make it stop anouncing "entering screen edit mode, entering screen 5 of 7" all the time when pinching out the homescreens. I looked through sounds and accessibility and I can't find anything that jumps out.

Ecto311

Hey guys,

For the lay person that has never owned (and very rarely even used) a smartphone, what makes the Galaxy phone better than any other phone on the market?

I'm still trying to decide whether to grab this phone or hold off till the fall for the iPhone 5 or whether I should look into alternative phones.

Who is your carrier? With att for my money its either this phone or the Iphone. After that it depends on what you like as far as the experience. Most High profile apps are on both ios and android. Android wins to me because I use a lot of Google stuff. I had an iphone 4 for about 2yr and it was a good phone. The Android let's you do so much more with no restrictions unlike Iphone.

If I tell my podcast app to download all new episodes in the morning it just does. I can tell it to only do that on wifi while charging. On I phone you have, to open the app and let it do its thing. Same for auto upload of google+ pictures and video. Just a few examples. But for me the screen is a seller too and this phones screen looks awesome and not too big. Makes using the current gen I phones feel like kid toys.

Apps like Tasker and mighty text are great as well. Plus we get sd card support and removable batteries. And jelly bean. Customizable keyboards, lock screens, widgets, community modified roms, turn by turn nav.... man just get this phone its awesome compared to the current offering of I phone and ios5/6 or so I think

Who is your carrier? With att for my money its either this phone or the Iphone. After that it depends on what you like as far as the experience. Most High profile apps are on both ios and android. Android wins to me because I use a lot of Google stuff. I had an iphone 4 for about 2yr and it was a good phone. The Android let's you do so much more with no restrictions unlike Iphone.

If I tell my podcast app to download all new episodes in the morning it just does. I can tell it to only do that on wifi while charging. On I phone you have, to open the app and let it do its thing. Same for auto upload of google+ pictures and video. Just a few examples. But for me the screen is a seller too and this phones screen looks awesome and not too big. Makes using the current gen I phones feel like kid toys.

Apps like Tasker and mighty text are great as well. Plus we get sd card support and removable batteries. And jelly bean. Customizable keyboards, lock screens, widgets, community modified roms, turn by turn nav.... man just get this phone its awesome compared to the current offering of I phone and ios5/6 or so I think

Well, I'm in Canada and I'm currently rocking a Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go flip phone. I don't know which carrier is the best out here for this.

My dad has been with Fido for a few years and has accumulated a lot of Fido dollars, but I don't know which phone on their list is a good one.

Niks

Finally got my S3.

However im a total android noob (coming from an iphone). Do you guys know any quick start guide on ICS?

Also I have some questions.

- How do I remove applications that came preloaded with the phone?
- Is there a way to "factory reset" the phone? I mean to eliminate any crapware or start screens from the carrier?

Thanks.

kehs

Banned
Finally got my S3.

However im a total android noob (coming from an iphone). Do you guys know any quick start guide on ICS?

Also I have some questions.

- How do I remove applications that came preloaded with the phone?
- Is there a way to "factory reset" the phone? I mean to eliminate any crapware or start screens from the carrier?

Thanks.

You can't remove them without root access. However you can disable them from running/showing up. Settings>apps>pick an app> disable.

Well, I'm in Canada and I'm currently rocking a Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go flip phone. I don't know which carrier is the best out here for this.

My dad has been with Fido for a few years and has accumulated a lot of Fido dollars, but I don't know which phone on their list is a good one.

wind/ moblicity is what you are looking for in carriers. They both are fantastic. Offer nexus and this. I like wind more since I use them but both of them are much much better options than others where you will pay arm and a leg with contracts.

torontoml

wind/ moblicity is what you are looking for in carriers. They both are fantastic. Offer nexus and this. I like wind more since I use them but both of them are much much better options than others where you will pay arm and a leg with contracts.

Only if you are in a major population center. As far as I can tell neither are available in Atlantic Canada.

Only if you are in a major population center. As far as I can tell neither are available in Atlantic Canada.

than i guess koodo and fido or any other local if availeble. It is always wise to buy phone outright and choose the service you need. In the long run it might be cheaper depending upon your usage.

Top Bottom