• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

VanWinkle

As long as you aren't changing anything to your plan (as in adding new lines, more minutes, texts, ect), you should be grandfathered with your previous plans. If they tell you otherwise, ask to speak with a manager because they probably are told to push for people to break away from unlimited plans.

Man, that stinks. I just changed my texts from 500 to pay-per-minute yesterday because I started using Google Voice. :( What will happen when LTE comes along in my area? Will my plan just stay on 3G, or will my unlimited data that's still there now just be taken away and substituted?

-PXG-

I wouldn't say that. Nightlies have just as much chance at being stable as a so called "stable" release due to the fact they might have fixed some major bugs missed in the "stable". The real issue with nightlies is they occasionally won't even boot and they're something an inexperienced user should stay away from. Bootloops aren't much fun kids!

They're easy to fix though. Just backup your current ROM or flash an older version.

Yes it is and for the life of me can't figure out how to stop that.

You must have turned it on at some point?

Anyway, you go to System setting > more settings (next to the wireless settings) > scroll down to Nearby devices > and either turn it off completely via File share toggle, or choose what not to sync under Shared contents.

Husker86

Man, that stinks. I just changed my texts from 500 to pay-per-minute yesterday because I started using Google Voice. :( What will happen when LTE comes along in my area? Will my plan just stay on 3G, or will my unlimited data that's still there now just be taken away and substituted?
If you have an LTE phone then you are on an LTE plan.

hope32

So far Verizon doesn't distinguish between 3G or 4G. It's just unlimited data.

Just got this phone on Verizon and LTE is amazing.. getting 42/17 which is almost 3x as fast as my home Internet.

Violater

Sprint
+Pay less
+Unlimited data.
-Shitty data speeds
-spotty signal coverage

Verizon
+Blazing LTE
+Decent Coverage

-Pay out the ass for tiered data
-Locked Bootloader (whatever that means to a casual user like me)

I can get approx 20% employee discount from both.
Decisions decisions.

Toki767

Sprint
+Pay less
+Unlimited data.
-Shitty data speeds
-spotty signal coverage

Verizon
+Blazing LTE
+Decent Coverage

Decisions decisions.

Sprint will be the better choice once they get their LTE up and running in more cities.

Sprint
+Pay less
+Unlimited data.
-Shitty data speeds
-spotty signal coverage

Verizon
+Blazing LTE
+Decent Coverage

Decisions decisions.

Sprint is not that much lower if you calculate it all out due to the $10 4g cost and the way they do their discounts. Mine was about 8 bucks for a family plan of 2 when I switched. So worth it.

Sprint will be the better choice once they get their LTE up and running in more cities.

If they get good enough to use, they'll start jacking up prices and being dicks too.

Husker86

So far Verizon doesn't distinguish between 3G or 4G. It's just unlimited data.

Just got this phone on Verizon and LTE is amazing.. getting 42/17 which is almost 3x as fast as my home Internet.
They have the same data plan but there is an extra code for LTE I'm pretty sure.

Violater

Sprint is not that much lower if you calculate it all out due to the $10 4g cost and the way they do their discounts. Mine was about 8 bucks for a family plan of 2 when I switched. So worth it.

If they get good enough to use, they'll start jacking up prices and being dicks too.

Ha well just spoke to Verizon, my 20% discount would only apply to the data package and not the overall plan, well they are just screwing people left and right.

f0nz0

They have the same data plan but there is an extra code for LTE I'm pretty sure.

So am I missing something here?
dTpC6l.jpg

Clearly says I'm adding "email and data unlimited" for 29.99 plus there is a 4g code on the list , and on the bottom it says I'm removing email and web but for 3G device...

Ha well just spoke to Verizon, my 20% discount would only apply to the data package and not the overall plan, well they are just screwing people left and right.

You might have another that applies to the phone portion. I have 20% on data and 18% for the voice/text portion. But yeah they do screw people over but that's because they can. Sprint's done it a few times within the last couple of years too.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey GAF, me and my mate are both having a strange issue with our S3s, sometimes we get sounds when we get texts sometimes we don't, any ideas?

Open up Voice app, hit the little square with the pen on it.

I don't have that. I have a refresh icon, magnifying glass icon, folder icon. If it makes a difference I have an HTC Sensation with a custom ICS ROM. I just figured it would be the same, since it's the same app.

kehs

Banned
I don't have that. I have a refresh icon, magnifying glass icon, folder icon. If it makes a difference I have an HTC Sensation with a custom ICS ROM. I just figured it would be the same, since it's the same app.

I assume you've gone through the setting up process and have a voice number already?

Not sure if that would prevent you from being able to send them. Can you send through the site itself(voice.google.com)?

Kyoufu

Got mine today.

Had a headache with the gmail unread email count icon but other than that, I love the phone.

SmartStay is the best feature ever.

BiggNife

Sprint
+Pay less
+Unlimited data.
-Shitty data speeds
-spotty signal coverage

Verizon
+Blazing LTE
+Decent Coverage

Decisions decisions.
It means that you can't replace the ROM on your android with a custom version like Cyanogen Mod. So you're stuck with the version of Android that comes with the S3, which has Samsung's "TouchWiz" Android skin and probably won't get upgraded to Android 4.1 for a few more months. My understanding is that the far majority of phones on Verizon have locked bootloaders except the GalNex.

Based on what you said in your post I don't think this is anything you should worry about. You should be fine with the version of Android that comes with the S3. So far I'm pretty happy with my Verizon S3 and I have no problems with TouchWiz.

I assume you've gone through the setting up process and have a voice number already?

Not sure if that would prevent you from being able to send them. Can you send through the site itself(voice.google.com)?

I can't text on that site. It says I have an "Access number" though. Maybe I haven't set it up properly. Not sure how.

Shadybiz

Hi Gaf,

My wife and I just got our SIII's today. We're really digging them so far, but hers has an issue:

We both connected to our home WiFi, but her's keeps dropping and re-establishing the connection, whereas mine is solid. We went through all the settings that we think would matter, and we have the same stuff turned on/off.

We have tried:
1. dropping the connection, and then reentering the password
2. Powering down and then on again
3. Battery pull

To no avail.

She's going to call Verizon soon, to see if they know anything, but I was wondering if Gaf might have some advice.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
You must have turned it on at some point?

Anyway, you go to System setting > more settings (next to the wireless settings) > scroll down to Nearby devices > and either turn it off completely via File share toggle, or choose what not to sync under Shared contents.

I checked the settings and have everything turned off under Nearby Devices yet it still syncs pictures from laptop. Anyone else having this issue?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Every time i plug a cable into the headphone jack, it automatically lowers the volume by around 25%. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

kehs

Banned
I can't text on that site. It says I have an "Access number" though. Maybe I haven't set it up properly. Not sure how.

Under settings, in the Phone tab there should be something about getting up the voice number.

If not, you you should get a prompt asking if you want a new number or to use your old number.

Don't listen to gin, he couldn't be more wrong. You can change features until the moon explodes, doesn't affect your grandfathering.

Also, there is no difference between 3g and 4g unlimited except for the hotspot add on. You can go back and forth

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Got mine today.

Had a headache with the gmail unread email count icon but other than that, I love the phone.

SmartStay is the best feature ever.

you guys making it a difficult decision between the nex and gs3 :\

gs3 is winning the battle but 4.1 is the game changer :\

f0nz0

you guys making it a difficult decision between the nex and gs3 :

gs3 is winning the battle but 4.1 is the game changer :

I was/am in the same situation....I JUST placed an order through the Verizon website for the Gnex! I figure if the screen size of the gs3 wows me and or there is an announcement of 4.1 for gs3 soon ( yea right..) then I'll just exchange, here's the kicker though , I don't know if it's my account, glitch in the matrix, or what buttt I was ABLE to keep my unlimited data plan (I'm comin from a fascinate)

tokkun

Every time i plug a cable into the headphone jack, it automatically lowers the volume by around 25%. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

There are separate volume settings for headset and speaker. It's working as intended, unless you mean that the volume stays down after you remove the cable.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
There are separate volume settings for headset and speaker. It's working as intended, unless you mean that the volume stays down after you remove the cable.

I plug in the cable, and the audio goes down to 75%. I turn it up to 100%. I unplug the cable and the volume switches to the non-headphone volume. I plug the cable in again, and the audio goes back down to 75% instead of 100%.

This is for my car, so a simple mini to mini cable going into my aux port. It is annoying having to turn the volume up every time I get into the car.

It seems to be trying to protect me from blowing my ears out, but that shit is annoying when you are hooking it into your car stereo.

Loofy

I recently updated from froyo to gingerbread and now I get this 'reorganizing internal processes' message. Basically it makes me wait a good 20 seconds before I can make a call and it happens randomly as far as I can tell.
wth man.

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Kyoufu

you guys making it a difficult decision between the nex and gs3 :\

gs3 is winning the battle but 4.1 is the game changer :\

I don't know much about phones but I don't see myself needing another phone after this. It just does everything I need it to.

Plus it's sexy as fuck. <3

Hi Gaf,

My wife and I just got our SIII's today. We're really digging them so far, but hers has an issue:

We both connected to our home WiFi, but her's keeps dropping and re-establishing the connection, whereas mine is solid. We went through all the settings that we think would matter, and we have the same stuff turned on/off.

We have tried:
1. dropping the connection, and then reentering the password
2. Powering down and then on again
3. Battery pull

To no avail.

She's going to call Verizon soon, to see if they know anything, but I was wondering if Gaf might have some advice.

Update: I (the wife mentioned above) just got off the phone with Verizon. After an eternity of checking settings and doing a factory reboot, we came to the conclusion that there is just something wrong with the phone. So I will go to the store tomorrow and swap it out for a new one. My husband's phone continues to work just fine. So that's that.

Shadybiz

Update: I (the wife mentioned above) just got off the phone with Verizon. After an eternity of checking settings and doing a factory reboot, we came to the conclusion that there is just something wrong with the phone. So I will go to the store tomorrow and swap it out for a new one. My husband's phone continues to work just fine. So that's that.

Ah well..at least it was caught within their return policy period. A hassle, but it could have been worse.

JambiBum

I plug in the cable, and the audio goes down to 75%. I turn it up to 100%. I unplug the cable and the volume switches to the non-headphone volume. I plug the cable in again, and the audio goes back down to 75% instead of 100%.

This is for my car, so a simple mini to mini cable going into my aux port. It is annoying having to turn the volume up every time I get into the car.

It seems to be trying to protect me from blowing my ears out, but that shit is annoying when you are hooking it into your car stereo.

It does the same thing with me too. Even gives me that little warning every time I turn it back up. Also it gives me a list of suggested apps that use headphones that goes into my notification bar. Is there any way to get rid of that list?

TheTowel

Damn, those Verizon speed blow my mind. Significantly faster than my home network. I hope one day we are freed from tiered data plans by the us government so we can do away with landline internet connections.

greyshark

I doubt we'll get Google Fiber speed and bandwidth from mobile networks anytime soon. They can't even handle their users using several gigabytes a month.

We'll get there eventually though. Already we've got mobile speeds faster than your typical broadband connection from 5-6 years ago. Building up the infrastructure takes time, but these companies are expanding faster than their networks can handle the new growth. I hope the day comes soon where we won't have to pay twice for an internet connection (which hopefully by then obsoletes the need for throttling/capping).

Unicorn

Damn, those Verizon speed blow my mind. Significantly faster than my home network. I hope one day we are freed from tiered data plans by the us government so we can do away with landline internet connections.

Yeah, Why am I paying $65/mo for an internet that is half as fast as my 4GLTE on Verizon.

Then again I don't trust Verizon to be my "actual" ISP.

Haxxor

Gah, saw this too late, did you try changing the wifi settings (advanced) and turning off powersaving? Not sure what it's called in english (maybe keep alive?).

snoopen

Aus user here.. Anyone have issues with copying and pasting? Particularly copying. Seems since installing something, perhaps swift key or chrome my copy function crashes any application I try to copy.

Also any good apps for notes? The S notes are shit and don't even save notes automatically

Kyoufu

I'm so happy with this phone, and considering I bought it without a contract for 450 GBP it'd have to be an amazing piece of tech for me to be satisfied with, and thankfully it is. Left it on wifi overnight, woke up to a million MSN/AIM/Facebook/Gmail messages. Felt good man.

Oh and I don't get comments about it feeling "cheap". Feels like a phone to me *shrug*.

Shadybiz

Gah, saw this too late, did you try changing the wifi settings (advanced) and turning off powersaving? Not sure what it's called in english (maybe keep alive?).

That's cool; we did fool around with that stuff, yes. Made sure that all of my settings were the same as hers; she still had the same issue. Even tried switching channels on the router, with no luck. The rep told her that what she was experiencing was definitely not normal, and the fact that it kept dropping and reacquiring meant that it was eating up battery life, too. Oh well, it'll all be better this afternoon with the new one.

Top Bottom