• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

RuGalz

I have everything turned off on my phone (wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, play store updates only while on wifi, etc.) and use power save mode and get terrible battery life when not on my wifi. I always have 4 out of 5 bars for signal so it could be that it is sort of weak and using more battery to get a better connection but on my Galaxy S 1 I had a slightly worse signal and the battery life didn't drain this much. The only thing using my battery is cell standby (64%).

I'm at work now and since unplugging from the charger at 100% after 3 hours and 16 minutes I'm down to 83%.

Unless your phone is defective, it'd suggest you may have installed some program or widget that is draining battery on idle. For example, I was trying out Go Power Master which tracks power consumption and other things. My phone's battery was losing power 3-4x quicker, especially when it is actively used.

My phone has been idling most of the time and currently is at 1d 2h and the battery is at 51%. And my signal at office isn't very good.

Linkhero1

I'm with T-Mobile, so I guess I'll be left out for a while. I don't mind unofficial roms either. I just don't know where I should go to follow news regarding unofficial roms.

tokkun

I'm with T-Mobile, so I guess I'll be left out for a while. I don't mind unofficial roms either. I just don't know where I should go to follow news regarding unofficial roms.

The source code for Jellybean was only released a few days ago. I feel pretty confident that all of the GSIII devices in the US will have a Jellybean ROM by the end of summer, with the possible exception of the locked bootloader Verizon versions.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What is the chance of the S III getting the Jelly Bean update any time soon?

Depends on how you define soon. 3-6 months, odds are pretty good. 1-3 months, slim.

Also, I have a few questions now that I have used it more:
- is there a way to customize the quick controls in the browser? or add more?
- i keep getting the adwords agreement page come up in the browser (maybe after using the playstore) but without any buttons for me to click and accept. How do I fix that?
- did Verizon really remove a wifi toggle in the quick drop controls?
- is there a way to quick add items to a folder? without dragging individually, say just click a bunch then "add to folder"

and more specific to ICS and G-apps:
- is the google voice inbox widget gone, the 3x1?
- the google+ 4x1 widget gone?

Pein

Banned
bought a GS3 today off ebay, got the white att model. Needed another phone since I gave my skyrocket to my sister. Now all I need is stylish case.

Husker86

attention verizon users!!! you can remove the damned notification without root!

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/582894-want-get-rid-vzw-wifi-reminder-without-rooting-come.html

I havent done it yet but everyone there is saying it works.

Looks like there's a way!

I thought I couldn't root with the locked boot loader because of Verizon though?

But for future reference, you can root and install custom ROMs on the Verizon GSIII, you just can't install custom kernels.

Husker86

Verizon....smh.

They've really disappointed me these last couple months with their new plans and this GSIII bullshit. Not having a WiFi toggle is even crazier than the constant notifications. Can't wait to shove this phone back in their face.

Now I need to find someone in Omaha who has used Walmart's Straight Talk and see how good it is. I'm not ready to leave unlimited LTE yet, but I would like to see what options there are. I am close to embracing the unlocked world, even if it costs me some speed.

rc213

From Cyanogenmod Google+ stream.

12+-+1

Paznos

Looks like there's a way!

But for future reference, you can root and install custom ROMs on the Verizon GSIII, you just can't install custom kernels.

Custom kernels will be possible with kexec, and there's already a mod to add the wifi toggle to the notification bar but I agree Verizon really has me second guessing my GS3 purchase.

Other than what Verizon has done to gimp it I've really loved the phone for the week I've had it and it's really fast and responsive compared to my Droid X but man the only carrier with a locked bootloader really has me thinking about Straight Talk I updated from one phone with a locked bootloader thinking the GS3 would be unlocked since all the others were and of course Verizon locks it.

RuGalz

Other than what Verizon has done to gimp it I've really loved the phone for the week I've had it and it's really fast and responsive compared to my Droid X but man the only carrier with a locked bootloader really has me thinking about Straight Talk I updated from one phone with a locked bootloader thinking the GS3 would be unlocked since all the others were and of course Verizon locks it.

Man I feel the same pain. Fk VZW, I'm going to abuse the crap out of LTE while I can with unlimited data.

goober

garnet-red-samsung-galaxy-s3-att-648x361.jpeg

Gaf, what say you of this color?

I've been waiting since JUNE for this color, thinking it'd be pretty cool.

My girlfriend said it looks pink :(

kehs

Banned

The bottom front is getting close to a dark hot pink, just swing you nuts over your shoulders and man up!

(If not just get pegged)

The Cyanogenmod 10 previews are out. I have not tried it yet, but it is supposedly pretty stable except it is missing camera and root (issues I think Cyanogen said will be fixed in tomorrow's build).

I am a little nervous about flashing anything though. Apparently an issue is going around where users' IMEI numbers are being deleted.

tokkun

Looks pretty awful in that picture, but you should probably look at it in person before deciding. I felt that the blue one looked different in person than in the press stills. It also might look better if they hadn't chosen to keep the blue wallpaper which clashes horribly with the red body.

Pein

Banned
First impressions, been fooling around with it for an hour now. I like the screen and feel of my one x more, not to say the GS3 is bad its not. I kinda like the physical button and touch wiz is ok, its not a huge step up from my sky rocket but it is slick looking and very smooth. great camera too, images are really clean, just as nice as the 4S and one x. Marble white is such a nice color, this is my first white phone. Digging it so far, I was gonna get this or a 4S as work phone and I'm happy about my choice.

VanWinkle

I have the Verizon Galaxy SIII. For some reason I do not know, Picasa is uploading my images from the gallery automatically to the cloud. I don't really want it to because its wasting battery life. If it only did it when it was plugged in, it would be okay but I cannot find a settings spot in The gallery app. I don't even have Picasa installed, but I can tell by the little icon by the "Instant Uploads" folder in the gallery that its Picasa. I thought it was Google+ at first, but I already turned Instant Upload off there.

I just checked data usage in he settings, and lo and behold, Gallery is right at the top with two times more data than he one right after it (Google Music).

Help me please! I just can't figure out how to get it to stop!

Zoe

I have the Verizon Galaxy SIII. For some reason I do not know, Picasa is uploading my images from the gallery automatically to the cloud. I don't really want it to because its wasting battery life. If it only did it when it was plugged in, it would be okay but I cannot find a settings spot in The gallery app. I don't even have Picasa installed, but I can tell by the little icon by the "Instant Uploads" folder in the gallery that its Picasa. I thought it was Google+ at first, but I already turned Instant Upload off there.

I just checked data usage in he settings, and lo and behold, Gallery is right at the top with two times more data than he one right after it (Google Music).

Help me please! I just can't figure out how to get it to stop!

It's under Accounts and Sync for your Google account.

AndyD

aka andydumi

That's good to know. I already miss Titanium Backup and adaway. Really the only two apps requiring root I was using and I am not big in the rom/kernel scene anyway.

See it in person. The blue front and back is darker than it seems in pictures, and the border is lighter than it seems in pictures.

I personally think the red is nice, but what I wish for is a dark almost black purple. I hope Samsung starts releasing some replacement backs in various colors.

And I think I am holding off on a flip case until we find out what the wireless charging will be like, whether it will need a special back or not.

suplex

Got a blue one yesterday, haven't had too much time to mess around with it yet, but I'm loving the screen size and the speed of this thing.

Coming from an iPhone 3, I have a lot to learn haha. Got lots of customization stuff to figure out, lots of searching to do on recommended apps and widgets. I do hate the stock keyboard, is there a better one out there?

Also are there any s3 cases out that are similar to the incase slider?

BiggNife

I do hate the stock keyboard, is there a better one out there?
Yeah, I got sick of the stock keyboard too. Right now I'm using Swiftkey 3, which seems to be the most popular keyboard alternative I've seen. So far I'm happy with it but I haven't used it enough to make a final judgment. There's a free trial in the Play Store, full version is $4.

It looks lipstick red to me - red is my favorite color but that looks too flashy for my tastes. It probably looks like a little better in person though.

Personally I like the blue because it's subtle. I was thinking about the white too, but I had multiple people tell me that a white cellphone isn't a good idea because they get noticeably dirty after long-term use.

Toki767

Yeah, I got sick of the stock keyboard too. Right now I'm using Swiftkey 3, which seems to be the most popular keyboard alternative I've seen. So far I'm happy with it but I haven't used it enough to make a final judgment. There's a free trial in the Play Store, full version is $4.

It looks lipstick red to me - red is my favorite color but that looks too flashy for my tastes. It probably looks like a little better in person though.

Personally I like the blue because it's subtle. I was thinking about the white too, but I had multiple people tell me that a white cellphone isn't a good idea because they get noticeably dirty after long-term use.

The best keyboards are Swype and Swiftkey. Swype is pretty much in open beta now, though you have to sign up for the beta on their site.

Red will probably look darker in real life just like how blue is much darker.

Kyoufu

I had to order a new charger cable because the one that came with it isn't charging properly. I googled the problem and it seems others have the same issue.

Niks

I had to order a new charger cable because the one that came with it isn't charging properly. I googled the problem and it seems others have the same issue.

Hmm.
What are the symptoms?

edit:
What is the normal charging time?
Im currently charging it via USB/PC and its taking quite a while to go up.

Anyone having issues with the Swype Beta on this phone.

Trying to delete words with the 'Back' key is glitchy as FUCK. You'll be deleting a word and half way through it, it'll jump into the previous word half way through. Then rewriting the word fucks everything up even more.

They really need to update this shit ... can't use any other keyboard. Samsung's stock keyboard is a joke and I'm too lazy to look into SwiftKey 3 ... does it have swyping function?

Toki767

Trying to delete words with the 'Back' key is glitchy as FUCK. You'll be deleting a word and half way through it, it'll jump into the previous word half way through. Then rewriting the word fucks everything up even more.

They really need to update this shit ... can't use any other keyboard. Samsung's stock keyboard is a joke and I'm too lazy to look into SwiftKey 3 ... does it have swyping function?

I notice the Swype keyboard has been incredibly glitchy on all my phones whenever I use it to post on GAF. It only happens on GAF too. I never see the problem on any other site or app.

Swiftkey doesn't have swiping. It does text prediction.

Davidion

It may not be not glitchy if I'm understanding you correctly. Whereas before holding the delete key uniformly deletes a whole word, now if you just swyped a word clicking delete once will delete the whole word, and the hold-to-delete-word functionality outside of that context seems to be gone completely. The animation makes it look and feel like you've deleted half a word and it wipes another word and a half but it's actually not.

Try it.

Kyoufu

Hmm.
What are the symptoms?

edit:
What is the normal charging time?
Im currently charging it via USB/PC and its taking quite a while to go up.

Symptoms: When your battery's charge doesn't go up (stays the same) or when it says it's charging but instead your battery is losing power.

I read the normal charge time should be 1-2 hours maximum.

Omzz

Anyone having problems with the haptic feedback?

Was just messing around with the power saving stuff and turned haptic feedback off. Now that i turn it on, it doesn't work while I'm typing.

Would be a shame if I had to reset to factory settings.

It may not be not glitchy if I'm understanding you correctly. Whereas before holding the delete key uniformly deletes a whole word, now if you just swyped a word clicking delete once will delete the whole word, and the hold-to-delete-word functionality outside of that context seems to be gone completely. The animation makes it look and feel like you've deleted half a word and it wipes another word and a half but it's actually not.

Try it.

No I don't think that's happening.

I'll be deleting a phrase e.g.

'I like chocolate <>'

<> will be the blinking cursor, I hit backspace 2-3 times ..

'I like chocol<>'

All good then backspace once more.

'I li<>e chocol'

Wtf no? hit backspace again.

'<> lie chocol'

Argh WTF!!!
So there is no way this behavior is logical and intended by Swype.

That plus i doesn't auto cap anymore.

Anyone having problems with the haptic feedback?

Was just messing around with the power saving stuff and turned haptic feedback off. Now that i turn it on, it doesn't work while I'm typing.

Would be a shame if I had to reset to factory settings.

You tried going into your keyboard settings and checking haptic feedback is on?

Top Bottom