• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

giga

FKu23.gif

LOL who comes up with this stuff. Windows Phone 8? Sure. Windows 8? No.

aznpxdd

Well, not like that changes anything on the upcoming announcement. Galaxy S3 will be strictly an Android flagship. If later in the year Samsung uses the same hardware but different name for an WP8 phone...not really surprising.

artist

Banned
I'll post the whole thing so that people dont jump;

Last night, I received an email from a trusted source with a tip about Samsung’s plans for their first Windows Phone 8 device. It looks like Samsung is going to be milking their upcoming Galaxy S III for all it’s worth, as the Korean smartphone maker plans to use Galaxy S III (hardware and design) as the basis for its new Windows Phone 8 device, currently dubbed, the Samsung Focus S II. Samsung is supposedly going to make the Focus S line the “Galaxy S” of Windows Phones.

My source tells me that because of the drastic changes in the Windows Phone 8 OS, Samsung will be able to use the Galaxy S III’s faster processor, bigger and higher resolution display and of course, LTE, which will make swapping over specs into a Windows Phone device, “easy as pie.” Here are some of the bullet points I was given:

Faster dual/quad core processor (depending on region)
4.7-inch HD display
12-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel front-facing camera
NFC capabilities
Dedicated camera button
Samsung Cloud Support
Improved Photo Studio
LTE support

I was told that the overall design of the next Focus S II, will be very similar to the Galaxy S III, but with Windows Phone branding, a dedicated camera button and a slight difference on how the buttons would be laid out (it was not made clear if this meant positioning or if they meant physical vs capacitive). The phone will be coming to AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, with a TBD for T-Mobile, as they will not have an LTE network when the Focus S II goes on sale, this “October.”

The idea of porting over the Galaxy S III is not that far fetched, as the Samsung Focus S is basically a modified Galaxy S II, but from why my source is saying, the Focus S II will resemble the Galaxy S III much more than the Focus S did to the Galaxy S II.

We are currently trying to get more details and we’ll post anything as soon as we get it.

(My source originally contacted me at TechHog, but we decided to break the story on WP Life first.)

kinggroin

Banned
The iPhone 5 will probably be a substantial upgrade this time around, so the S3 (like the S2 before it) really needs to be ahead of the curve to stay relevant and maintain it's prowess.

I think the next ios iteration will be a bigger jump than what you get on the hardware side with the next iPhone.

Unlike the iPad, where having a big screen means getting much more complete productivity applications (and needing the horsepower to run them), I see the iPhone hitting a point of diminishing returns in regards to real world performance.

We need a bigger push on software that can leverage these spec upgrades (something other than just games). This goes for Android as well (though I feel the OS does a better job of using the horsepower better at least).

giga

Serious post? They obviously are talking about Windows Phone 8.
The text of the guys post and title of the linked article said Windows 8. The PC advisor site got it wrong from the original source, which actually stated WP8.

Cheebo

Banned
The text of the guys post and title of the linked article said Windows 8. The PC advisor site got it wrong from the original source, which actually stated WP8.

Seeing how both Desktop Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 have the words Windows and 8 in the name I fully expect people to just call both Windows 8, not to mention the metro UI is very similiar. It's a odd thing to be picky about.

giga

Seeing how both Desktop Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 have the words Windows and 8 in the name I fully expect people to just call both Windows 8, not to mention the metro UI is very similiar. It's a odd thing to be picky about.
…that's not right. They have the same design language, but they won't have the same interface. Phones vs tablets. Apps from the WP marketplace don't even run on Windows 8.

Cheebo

Banned
…that's not right. They have the same design language, but they won't have the same interface. Phones vs tablets. Apps from the WP marketplace don't even run on Windows 8.

I don't get why it bothers you. Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are close enough in name that for regular people it will be a interchangable term.

giga

I don't get why it bothers you. Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are close enough in name that for regular people it will be a interchangable term.
I don't really care about the similarity of the names. I care about differentiating the two because the platforms are separate. Windows 8 has features that won't come to WP8, and vice versa. Calling them the same thing is confusing.

Cheebo

Banned
People will call them "Windows 8" Phones whether you want them to or not. I already see that term thrown around constantly on blogs and podcasts.

tino

Banned
I doubt it. WM8 (and W8arm) have to run on Qaulcomm chip. They probably have very strict set of hardware requirement. They probably won't support most of the hardware inside S3.

It's been said many times this is one of the causes of the downfall of WP7.

giga

People will call them "Windows 8" Phones whether you want them to or not. I already see that term thrown around constantly on blogs and podcasts.
…ok? Me not having the power to change what tech blogs say is irrelevant to the point that I'm making. Telling people that their desktop runs the same OS as their phone is completely inaccurate. I don't like misleading people.

Cipherr

I dont know whats so hard to believe about the W8 thing. Release an Android flagship, 5 months later, use the same old hardware but slap the WP OS on it. Thats been more or less the MO with these HW manu's and WP7, except for the part where the phones were suuuuper old because of the HW requirements of WP7. I think it will be good for WP, soon hopefully there will be day and date releases of phones on both OS's.

Cipherr

Well this just became an infinitely harder sell when Anandtech releasing the benchmarks of the AT&T HTC OneX. HTC really delivered this time. Like for real for real. Im looking forward to the S3 as much as anyone, but they are going to have one hell of a time outdoing HTC this go-round.

Utako

Banned
If it doesn't use space-age ceramics, I will weep.

because that means the rumors about a LiquidMetal body for the iPhone 5 are likely also false

Styles

Looks like the real shape of the phone is placed inside that rectangular shell. It is all but confirmed at this point.

I can't wait for this announcement. Having flushed my Galaxy S2 down the bog I'm in the market for a new phone. Currently deciding between another GS2, One X, Xperia S or the Note but am holding fire until I see the GS3.

Red

Looks like the real shape of the phone is placed inside that rectangular shell. It is all but confirmed at this point.
Hopefully yeah. If the phone is the rounded rectangle, and the weird edges are some case, then I'm okay with that. Just as long as the phone isn't a rectangle and the screen a rounded rectangle.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Didn't expect it to be better looking than the One X but at least expected something interesting. Wonder how the back looks. Hopefully nothing like the GS2, unibody maybe?

Nicktendo86

Looks like it has the one thing I miss from my GS2: a LED. I don't know why but it really bugs me that I have to wake my phone up to see if I have any notifications.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
One X seems like the better designed phone if this is the case. The Samsung will have the better specs tho. UGH... I'm suppose to recommend a phone to my best friend who wants to move to LTE on Verzion (he's currently on a Droid 3). I'll still probably tell him to get the GSIII, but I do wish it looked a little snazzier going by the way all the signs are pointing.

Angst

Looks like it has the one thing I miss from my GS2: a LED. I don't know why but it really bugs me that I have to wake my phone up to see if I have any notifications.

Hope you're right, but to me that looks like one of the sensors, not a LED.

tino

Banned
One X seems like the better designed phone if this is the case. The Samsung will have the better specs tho. UGH... I'm suppose to recommend a phone to my best friend who wants to move to LTE on Verzion (he's currently on a Droid 3). I'll still probably tell him to get the GSIII, but I do wish it looked a little snazzier going by the way all the signs are pointing.

I doubt Verizon will get GSIII. ( I just like to say it to see the Samsung fans rage over it.)

Nicktendo86

Hope you're right, but to me that looks like one of the sensors, not a LED.

It looks like the sensors are to the right next to the camera and it appears to be glowing red which would suggest it is being charged (and the phone is plugged in) so really hope it is a LED, will be disappointing if not!

Angst

It looks like the sensors are to the right next to the camera and it appears to be glowing red which would suggest it is being charged (and the phone is plugged in) so really hope it is a LED, will be disappointing if not!

I think it's the proximity sensor that turns red when it's active... I really hope it has a LED, but don't expect it to be a big circle but more a thin line or something.

sun-drop

well yeh ..it's already been stated that the S3's out there are in body shells that hide the true form ..so looks like that screen protector fits with all the evidence so far

Well this just became an infinitely harder sell when Anandtech releasing the benchmarks of the AT&T HTC OneX. HTC really delivered this time. Like for real for real. Im looking forward to the S3 as much as anyone, but they are going to have one hell of a time outdoing HTC this go-round.

well, if they end up using the same SoC in the US anyway, does it really matter unless you hate AMOLED and possibly removable batteries and microsd cards?

I hope they have the balls to make it actually blue instead of that black/blue thing they have on the note.

if they do, they better have a black one too, at least Nokia got that right when they released a bunch of silly colors.

Top Bottom