• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Ecto311

Anyone having issues with the Swype Beta on this phone.

Trying to delete words with the 'Back' key is glitchy as FUCK. You'll be deleting a word and half way through it, it'll jump into the previous word half way through. Then rewriting the word fucks everything up even more.

They really need to update this shit ... can't use any other keyboard. Samsung's stock keyboard is a joke and I'm too lazy to look into SwiftKey 3 ... does it have swyping function?

Thought it was only me. I back space and it starts typing a long ass gibberish word. I hav, to start the entire thing all over again. I also trying to type Web addresses is ridiculous also. It types the main part then spaces after the period to start a new word. It's better than the stock board but horseshit compared to my iphone of 2 years. This message was typed with it. I had to redo it about 3 times.

Babalu.

so I just got the phone and was wondering what kind of cases are out there? Anyone have any recomendations for cases that try and keep it thin and can slide in and out of a pocket easily (not rubbery pulling out the whole pocket)?

Omzz

You tried going into your keyboard settings and checking haptic feedback is on?

That would be Language and Input right? I went there too and Key tap vibration was checked.

Not sure where else the problem could be. Unless it's a glitch with the OS itself.

Anyone having issues with the Swype Beta on this phone.
[...]
I didn't have any problems with Swype on my S2, but it was AWFUL on my S3. I kept getting words that are not even similar to what I attempted to swype.

I ended up downloading Swiftkey and have adjusted to not using Swype at all. I set Swiftkey to the Rapid setting and can just type away without worrying about making accurate presses and it predicts the correct word very well.

I didn't have any problems with Swype on my S2, but it was AWFUL on my S3. I kept getting words that are not even similar to what I attempted to swype.

I ended up downloading Swiftkey and have adjusted to not using Swype at all. I set Swiftkey to the Rapid setting and can just type away without worrying about making accurate presses and it predicts the correct word very well.

Will probably just grab swift key then. I'll miss people's gasp when they see me swype away a 30 word text in no time. Predictive text is neat but I feel like tapping my screen repeatedly will give my thumb arthritus.

Kyoufu

Okay so I tried a different cable but my phone still doesn't charge (even though it says it is charging).

What the fuck is this.

Just picked this phone up. Someone on craigslist had a wife that won a phone and was willing to sell any phone for 200 off. Missing my Jellybean but I'll adapt or sell. Any recommendations on a guide to root [Verizon]?

RuGalz

weird I have the opposite experience. swiftkey's prediction is much worse than new swype for me so I am back to swype

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've been having an odd problem that I doubt is related to my S3, but still figured i'd post it: The texts I send to one of my friends never get there.

He's using an older Droid on Verizon, and I have an S3 on ATT. All of the other folks I text are on ATT, and I have no issues with them getting texts, it's just this one friend. What's up with that? Anyone else see something like this before?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
my capacitive buttons dont light up after booting. anyone else have that problem?

edit: i forgot that i turned them off

AndyD

aka andydumi
I've been having an odd problem that I doubt is related to my S3, but still figured i'd post it: The texts I send to one of my friends never get there.

He's using an older Droid on Verizon, and I have an S3 on ATT. All of the other folks I text are on ATT, and I have no issues with them getting texts, it's just this one friend. What's up with that? Anyone else see something like this before?

Test it with someone else on Verizon. Or test it to a Google Voice number.

But I have never heard of an issue like that.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Test it with someone else on Verizon. Or test it to a Google Voice number.

But I have never heard of an issue like that.

He just tested it by sending texts to others and they got them, and he recieved replies via text from them as well. He also text'd me and I got his text immediately, but anything I send him doesn't go through.

He tried rebooting his phone but that didn't fix it. Very, very strange.

Husker86

I have no solution at all, but when I was on AT&T a while back a couple of my friends on Verizon would not get my texts and I didn't receive theirs either (or maybe it was just that I didn't receive theirs but they got mine, can't remember exactly).

When I switched to Verizon I got ALL of the texts I missed from them in an instant. I have a feeling this is on the Verizon end but I don't know how to fix it.

Shiggy

Am I the only one who's got problems with Samsung Kies? It's awfully slow. I tried to move all of my contacts from my ancient Nokia phone, but thank goodness that was also possible with Google Mail.

Is there any way to move apps from the internal memory to the SD card?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
After having this phone for 24 hours, I like it.

The first thing I did was root and put on a custom stock rom then threw Google Now on it.

As is the case for all my new phones, it's so light that it makes my Evo 3d feel like a giant brick..which was the same feeling I had when I went from the Evo to Evo 3d.

It also took me 2 hours to add back all of the apps I had on my previous phone. I thought Google was suppose to restore everything automatically >_>

After having this phone for 24 hours, I like it.

The first thing I did was root and put on a custom stock rom then threw Google Now on it.

As is the case for all my new phones, it's so light that it makes my Evo 3d feel like a giant brick..which was the same feeling I had when I went from the Evo to Evo 3d.

It also took me 2 hours to add back all of the apps I had on my previous phone. I thought Google was suppose to restore everything automatically >_>

Where did you get Google Now from?

jobber

Where did you get Google Now from?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1747224
did you use the website?

no way dude

I have 6 active android devices. I went to the Store app, went under My Apps, and swiped to all apps.

It's every app I've ever downloaded from all my devices. So I went down the list of 500+ apps I've downloaded and picked which ones I had on my previous phone. After a while I got tired of the crap so I used MyAppShare app from my old phone and sent all the app apks from my 3d to the gs3 via bluetooth.

I couldn't use TB because the 3d was never rooted :\

BTW, what's the point of having a sd card slot if App2SD isn't implemented >_>
It's like my tablets where the "internal" sd card is emulated as an external sd card.

I have like 8 gigs of internal space left and 29.3 gigs of sd card slot space. Which sounds like a lot to some but I had 4 gigs of internal space on the 3D and I was running out of space after 2 months. It wasn't because of apps, it's because of the sync data. The messenger process was eating 400mb of space!

f0nz0

Just finished exchanging my gnexus for the gs3, so far I love it! The reception is most definitely better on this device , the Gnex was continuously dropping signal completely...best of all I was able to keep my unlimited data... Something I recommend to those Verizon customers looking to get this phone and worried about their data being changed... Try the online ordering system...I have a 5 line family plan, 2 of them where up for an upgrade, I did mine and it let me keep my unlimited and get the discount on a new phone..thinking this was a glitch, I tried upgrading the other line and it also let me keep the data plan unchanged...seems Verizon still hasn't implemented the new data policy on online orders

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm did Verizon remove the Samsung locate/wipe/lock my device software? I can't find it anywhere per Samsung's instructions.

Cipherr

Hmm.
What are the symptoms?

edit:
What is the normal charging time?
Im currently charging it via USB/PC and its taking quite a while to go up.

Gotta use the wall plugs IMO. USB for syncing, the meager slow charging it provides is just a miniscule bonus. Keep an actually wall plugged charger around for actual charging.

And of course get one of these boss Motorola car chargers for your car. This is the only car charger I have seen that will charge your phone while your using GPS and running stuff on your phone while driving. Its sooooooooo good. Search Amazon by reviews, youll find it.

Tired the free trial of Swift Key 3 ... was actually pretty impressed. Might actually buy the full version.
I'm glad you're impressed so far, I ended up buying it as well.

Random tip: I also like the ability to reduce the "Long-press duration" in the Swiftkey settings. I dropped it to about 200ms so that I can quickly type numbers and symbols without switching back and forth between the alphabet and number/symbols keyboards.

BiggNife

weird I have the opposite experience. swiftkey's prediction is much worse than new swype for me so I am back to swype
I'm surprised by that, because so far I love SwiftKey. Normally I can't stand auto correct but SwiftKey somehow manages to correctly finish my words about 85% to 90% of the time. Makes the Samsung keyboard look like garbage.

I hate Then battery duration of this. Other than that it rocks

Battery has been great, unplugged at 6am, 2 hours of LTE tethering, lots of apps that push, checking email and surfing, phone calls and it's at 30% now. (14 hours later)

Does almost as well as my Gnexus with a 3800mah battery. Doesn't get as hot. Think I'll keep the S3, sell the nexus and hope for the best on the bootloader/JellyBean.

jobber

So Touchwiz doesn't have ICS folder icons?
The ICS circles are much easier on the eyes than a giant folder icon :\

jobber

I'm using Nova launcher which allows you to scale down icon size, if that's what is bothering you.

Well yeah..I was using Go Launcher on 2.3 which looks amazing like vanilla ICS. I'll try out Nova and Apex when I have some time to actually organize my widgets. I still haven't moved stuff off my old sd card to the new one.

torontoml

Mine lasted almost 72 hours, but I only played a "Where's my water" for like half an hour. A few texts, surfing for maybe a total of an hour and checking the time every now and then.

itxaka

Defeatist
Bought this yesterday to replace my broken desire hd. It was expensive (no contract) but goddammit is this phone good or what?

Seriously, its fast as hell and this is with the stock rom. I wonder how will it run with Jelly Bean locked at 60fps. It's gonna be incredible.

Battery is pretty good too, I expected it to be dying at 14 hours with the heavy use I gave it but no, it wouldn't die.

Happy with it.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Only problem i am having is facebook takes like a minute to refresh when I'm using my 3g ?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Can't wait for CM10. I don't know if I will put CM9 on it or just wait for 10 though. There seems to be a root method that doesn't up the flash counter though, so that is good.

Can't wait for CM10. I don't know if I will put CM9 on it or just wait for 10 though. There seems to be a root method that doesn't up the flash counter though, so that is good.

Supposedly you can reset the counter even if it does go up.

On the Verizon version, they figured out how to bypass to bootloader to load a custom kernel. Hell yeah!

Toki767

If your phone is rooted, which it should be if you're flashing anyways, you can download Triangle Away to reset your flash counter.

Pein

Banned
bought the official flip case today, love the feel of the cover and the extra weight it gives the phone. GS3 looks so classy with it.

Top Bottom