• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

AndyD

aka andydumi
bought the official flip case today, love the feel of the cover and the extra weight it gives the phone. GS3 looks so classy with it.

I just got mine yesterday as a birthday present.

I took some side by side pictures of the original and the flip I will post in a minute. It adds just a subtle extra weight and a bit of thickness, and its really nice with it on. Very importantly, the camera lens is no longer convex from the phone, but subtly concave to protect it. I will have to drill a hole for the notification LED but that should be easy.

I took some side by side pictures of the original and the flip I will post in a minute. It adds just a subtle extra weight and a bit of thickness, and its really nice with it on. Very importantly, the camera lens is no longer convex from the phone, but subtly concave to protect it. I will have to drill a hole for the notification LED but that should be easy.

Was considering returning mine after I had a screen protector slapped on but now that you pointed out it slightly protects the camera, maybe I won't.

Pein

Banned

another superficial thing I like about it i that it has no carrier branding. I fucking hate the att logo.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Here is a link to a Picasa album. I think it has 10 or so pictures in it. I think I have a few more to upload in there.

https://picasaweb.google.com/111146...&authkey=Gv1sRgCK3Dys3IiuG5Tg&feat=directlink

20120719_132521.jpg

You can see the flip case is slightly darker and more purple. And the original is more bluish. Also, one of the pictures has the two camera holes side by side so its a little clearer about the convex/concave.

And the smooth matte brushed finish on the cover is top notch. The whole phone should have been that way. My only worry now is whether crumbs/dust will stick to the felted interior and rub on the screen. I will keep the protective cover on the screen for a couple of weeks and make sure that's not an issue.

One thing I will miss is that the finger oils on the screen would get wiped away every time I put the phone in my pocket, making it fresh and spotless every day, now they will be stuck inside. I may end up using this when I travel and no flip case day to day or at events where I expect to take a lot of pictures.

Husker86

Supposedly you can reset the counter even if it does go up.

On the Verizon version, they figured out how to bypass to bootloader to load a custom kernel. Hell yeah!
Don't you have to launch from recovery every time you restart your phone to use the custom kernel though?

Don't you have to launch from recovery every time you restart your phone to use the custom kernel though?

From what I'm reading no. Like a few days ago, you'd have to go into recovery and load a kernel every time you rebooted but now it seems like they've gotten around that. Haven't messed with it and it's still in it's infancy but I have faith something nice will be done such that it'll be imperceptible save a few seconds extra on boot.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Supposedly you can reset the counter even if it does go up.

On the Verizon version, they figured out how to bypass to bootloader to load a custom kernel. Hell yeah!

I thought they hadn't figured out a way to reset the counter yet. Good news if true though.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Layman's terms?

if you have to get your phone repaired, for warranty purposes, they check to see if you put another rom on it. You can flash a stock rom and unroot, but the phone's recovery firmware keeps track of everything. That apk erases that information.

SpecX

So my carrier accidentally gave me a 32gb S3 when I was only eligible for a 16gb one. I'm elated.

Nice mistake on their part. I was hoping the same would happen for me, but no luck. Still loving this phone though and got a 16 gig SD card for now to see how long that lasts. My X never got below 2 gigs, but since this phone is so much better performance wise, I can see myself filling it quicker.

ukas

if you have to get your phone repaired, for warranty purposes, they check to see if you put another rom on it. You can flash a stock rom and unroot, but the phone's recovery firmware keeps track of everything. That apk erases that information.

Makes sense, thanks.

jobber

I used NFC for the first time earlier to pay for gas. It's quite awesome.

I know I was bitching yesterday about how Samsung doesn't use external sd card space for apps but someone had created a script that fixes that. Just have to wait for developers to add it to their ROMs

The greatest feature I find quite useful is using voice commands to unlock your phone. It trumps face unlock by a mile.

basik

I know I was bitching yesterday about how Samsung doesn't use external sd card space for apps but someone had created a script that fixes that. Just have to wait for developers to add it to their ROMs

hope this works... didnt know apps couldnt go on sd like they do on my og droid until a few days ago. someone said it was to stop pirates... I dont care I wanna have hundreds of apps on my sd...and some games now take over 1gb of space...hack it now!!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How come the damn Spotify app doesn't work for me? Any track I click on it says, "This track is not available." I must be doing something wrong.

AndyD

aka andydumi
How long is it taking to charge now?
Im waiting for my battery to drain to see how long it takes to fully charge.

Mine takes about 2-3 hours via a charger from 0 to 100. Not the official charger, I use a kindle one which only provides .07 amps or so. I think the official provides .15 amps.

jobber

How? Can you explain please?

Go into the Security settings/Unlock options and it's an feature where you can set 5 wake up voice commands to do different things. One is to unlock the phone. Another is to bring up S-Voice without pressing a button. You can also set it to unlock the camera, play music, check missed calls, ect.

So basically it records your voice command 4 times to match up your voice prints. Example, if you hit the power button and it brings up the lock screen. Then you can open your camera by just saying RAPPADOOOOOOOOOOOOO or whatever you choose to say for the operation. This is great because you need to be in a well lit area for face unlock to see your face.

jobber

How is Smart Stay for everyone? It seems to work like shit for me. Even when I'm in a "well lit room".

It doesn't work for me! Is there a way to turn it on?

I just found out you can take a picture via voice commands too. Say shoot with the camera open.

dat technology!

How long is it taking to charge now?
Im waiting for my battery to drain to see how long it takes to fully charge.

Normally it took almost 5 hours to charge from zero to full, now its taking somewhere between 2-3 hours to charge from zero to full, no idea how it happened lol

Battery life on the S3 is amazing. Been watching The Big Bang on the way to work and back and I still come home to a good 40-50%. This is even better than my old 4s.

Seanbob11

It doesn't work for me! Is there a way to turn it on?

I just found out you can take a picture via voice commands too. Say shoot with the camera open.

dat technology!

It's in settings under display. I don't know if it's turned on by default but it's certainly not working for me.

jobber

It's in settings under display. I don't know if it's turned on by default but it's certainly not working for me.

Mine wasn't turned on. I've messed with a lot of settings and never made it to the display settings.

AndyD

aka andydumi
How is Smart Stay for everyone? It seems to work like shit for me. Even when I'm in a "well lit room".

Works well for me. I have the phone sitting at work and occasionally I notice it. I think as the off time approaches it scans for a face for a second or two (you can see the eye icon) and if it sees a face it stays on, otherwise it initiates the dim/off sequence. So if your face is not there at the crucial check time, it does not work.

BiggNife

It works like probably 60%-70% of the time for me. It works enough that I'm glad to have it on, although it is kind of annoying when it shuts off the screen anyway. I think it's a fantastic idea and I hope that Samsung works on improving it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i hate the capacitive buttons on this so so much. i cant wait to root this and just use the onscreen stock buttons

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
i hate the capacitive buttons on this so so much. i cant wait to root this and just use the onscreen stock buttons

I don't get this mentality at all. What is the difference between the capacitive buttons and on screen buttons, besides losing screen real estate?

The physical button blows for sure, but the capacitive buttons I like.

Kyou

the backup assistant plus thing is driving me nuts

I've turned off everything (pictures, music, contacts) and set it to only backup between midnight at 6am and it still tries to back shit up several times a day

Newline

Hmm my sister needs to get a new phone and shes thinking of getting an iPhone.

She said she would take my iPhone 4S off me as well as £60 in return for buying me a samsung galaxy s3.

I'm really considering this, the size of the phone is a real plus feature for me as i'm kind of a tall guy (6"4) and thus have big hands. I find the iPhone 4S to be way too small for me. One thing that is putting me off the s3 though is the resolution of the screen. I'm yet to see an s3 in person but I have got so used to the retina display on the iPhone that I fear anything less.

I heard the screen uses pen tile technology, is it really noticeable during use? If not then i'm probably going to snag it.

SRG01

Hmm my sister needs to get a new phone and shes thinking of getting an iPhone.

She said she would take my iPhone 4S off me as well as £60 in return for buying me a samsung galaxy s3.

I'm really considering this, the size of the phone is a real plus feature for me as i'm kind of a tall guy (6"4) and thus have big hands. I find the iPhone 4S to be way too small for me. One thing that is putting me off the s3 though is the resolution of the screen. I'm yet to see an s3 in person but I have got so used to the retina display on the iPhone that I fear anything less.

I heard the screen uses pen tile technology, is it really noticeable during use? If not then i'm probably going to snag it.

Pentile is pretty much non-noticeable in day to day use. It's a complete non-issue.

FireCloud

the backup assistant plus thing is driving me nuts

I've turned off everything (pictures, music, contacts) and set it to only backup between midnight at 6am and it still tries to back shit up several times a day

I skipped the setup for it when I initially setup my S3. Then I went into the app manager and disabled that thing. I put all my contacts in Google and won't use that Verizon POS again.

I don't know how easy/difficult it is to get rid of once you've set it up so I didn't want it running in the background and needlessly using up battery.

Top Bottom