• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Kal

Ok having fun with the phone so far even though the UI feels weird (first android phone) There has to be an easier way to move icons on the home screen right? If I want to move an icon to a spot occupied by another I'll have to move that icon away first? I love widgets and the live wallpapers! I'm having problems using the wifi tethering - I can't get anything to connect to the network. I even tried making it an open network... Anyone else have this issue?

Kyoufu

Ok having fun with the phone so far even though the UI feels weird (first android phone) There has to be an easier way to move icons on the home screen right? If I want to move an icon to a spot occupied by another I'll have to move that icon away first? I love widgets and the live wallpapers! I'm having problems using the wifi tethering - I can't get anything to connect to the network. I even tried making it an open network... Anyone else have this issue?

Get yourself a launcher like Nova or Apex. Then you won't have any icon issues. I use Nova personally.

I'm really loving this phone. Can't live without it.

buhdeh

i hate the capacitive buttons on this so so much. i cant wait to root this and just use the onscreen stock buttons

Can you do this? I've been thinking about getting an S3 but the buttons are way too far at the bottom and hard to handle (especially one handed)

Cr0wn0

Hmm my sister needs to get a new phone and shes thinking of getting an iPhone.

She said she would take my iPhone 4S off me as well as £60 in return for buying me a samsung galaxy s3.

I'm really considering this, the size of the phone is a real plus feature for me as i'm kind of a tall guy (6"4) and thus have big hands. I find the iPhone 4S to be way too small for me. One thing that is putting me off the s3 though is the resolution of the screen. I'm yet to see an s3 in person but I have got so used to the retina display on the iPhone that I fear anything less.

I heard the screen uses pen tile technology, is it really noticeable during use? If not then i'm probably going to snag it.

Coming from an iPhone 4 the screen is different but its VERY minor. The iPhone feels like a baby phone when you switch back and forth. I love the larger screen, I only have 2 complaints with this phone. The app store is worse but with the new UI guidelines stuff it seems better apps are coming out and battery life is pretty bad. I'm hoping a extended battery will help with that( i dont mind the bulk).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I don't get this mentality at all. What is the difference between the capacitive buttons and on screen buttons, besides losing screen real estate?

The physical button blows for sure, but the capacitive buttons I like.

theyre way too sensitive and close to my hands. i accidentally press them all the time while typing

rozay

Banned
Keeps giving me a unsupported file error, works fine in vlc though, would use it if the interface was designed for a larger music library
Is it a file from iTunes? If not, send it to me and I'll try it and see.

I personally use poweramp as I feel it has the best sound quality out of the current crop of music players as well as gapless+a full equalizer, but you shouldn't have to spend $5 to get audio files to work.

Cipherr

Hmm my sister needs to get a new phone and shes thinking of getting an iPhone.

She said she would take my iPhone 4S off me as well as £60 in return for buying me a samsung galaxy s3.

I'm really considering this, the size of the phone is a real plus feature for me as i'm kind of a tall guy (6"4) and thus have big hands. I find the iPhone 4S to be way too small for me. One thing that is putting me off the s3 though is the resolution of the screen. I'm yet to see an s3 in person but I have got so used to the retina display on the iPhone that I fear anything less.

I heard the screen uses pen tile technology, is it really noticeable during use? If not then i'm probably going to snag it.

You wont notice anything with the pentile at all. But for irrefutable proof, head to a local Sprint Tmobile or Verizon store. It will be worth the trip to hole use and surf the web on the phone itself. Then there can be no mistake. You will laugh at the idea of the comparison afterwards man.

Be sure to test it completely, flip around, change the settings, brightness etc. They will let you.

Takuya

Banned
Wow, this phone is extremely fragile. My brother's S3 fell out of his pocket at the movie theatre and the whole top cracked (screen included)... It had dropped from only a foot and a half up off the floor. And it costs $300 to get the screen/digitizer replaced.

Edit: He went to the carrier's store this morning and two other people were there for broken S3 screens as well.

Eiolon

I am thinking of dumping my iPhone 4S for this phone mainly due to wanting a larger screen and I hate iTunes syncing but am unfamiliar with Android. If I get the phone and want to load my songs, can I just copy them to the device like its a flash drive? I had an old MP3 player that did that (Creative Zen) and it was so awesome to just drag and drop songs into the device.

saunderez

Wow, this phone is extremely fragile. My brother's S3 fell out of his pocket at the movie theatre and the whole top cracked (screen included)... It had dropped from only a foot and a half up off the floor. And it costs $300 to get the screen/digitizer replaced.
Yep same thing happened to me, fell off the edge of the couch onto tiles, nice diagonal crack on the external glass. Luckily for me the crack isn't noticeable from regular viewing angles so at this stage I've still got a usable phone but I am kicking myself. When I get it repaired its living in the most shockproof case I can find.

Husker86

I am thinking of dumping my iPhone 4S for this phone mainly due to wanting a larger screen and I hate iTunes syncing but am unfamiliar with Android. If I get the phone and want to load my songs, can I just copy them to the device like its a flash drive? I had an old MP3 player that did that (Creative Zen) and it was so awesome to just drag and drop songs into the device.

Yup, you can drag and drop. Also, if you're interested in familiarity, you can sync to iTunes with apps. I used that until I switched to Google Music. Even though I hated iTunes, the dynamic playlists and play counts were intriguing to me. But Google Music is the shit and you should migrate if you switch over to Android; cut the cord!

Violater

Yep same thing happened to me, fell off the edge of the couch onto tiles, nice diagonal crack on the external glass. Luckily for me the crack isn't noticeable from regular viewing angles so at this stage I've still got a usable phone but I am kicking myself. When I get it repaired its living in the most shockproof case I can find.

So your phone was not in a case?

VanWinkle

Yes. You can also upload the songs on your desktop via Google Music and stream them (or download them) on the S3 over the cloud. I love Google Music and vastly prefer it over iTunes/iPod (although - to be fair - I kind of hate iTunes).

Takuya

Banned
So your phone was not in a case?

I've had an iPhone 4 for almost 2 years now. I JUST switched to a Galaxy Note N7000, all good right now. I never used a case on my iPhone 4, I've dropped it a few times, from pocket hight to driveway or on a sidewalk... It never cracked, but it has 2 small scratches on the front screen. I never used a case for it, I found the cases killed its nice design.

I don't have a case for my Galaxy Note, but I bought a nice slim case for it recently and I'm going to put that on it, thanks to my brother's experience with his week-old S3. (as stated above, it cracked from a <1.5 ft. drop.

saunderez

So Gorilla glass 2 isn't all that? Thought I saw a drop comparison with the iphone 4s and it did pretty well. Guess I'll eyeball the Defender. It's 30 on J&R now.
It's thinner than Gorilla Glass and the convex shape of the external glass means if it hits something hard the glass is taking all the impact. The combination makes it much more likely to crack if dropped.

VanWinkle

I really would like to get a case, because this thing is expensive and I have a two year contract on it, but I hate cases. A lot of them are just so ugly. Is there a case for this phone that doesn't add much bulk, is relatively inexpensive, and will protect the phone?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I really would like to get a case, because this thing is expensive and I have a two year contract on it, but I hate cases. A lot of them are just so ugly. Is there a case for this phone that doesn't add much bulk, is relatively inexpensive, and will protect the phone?

just get a rubber shell and a cheap plastic cover for the screen. It shouldn't cost you more than $5.

What makes the phone fragile is it's design. It's nice, but as for durability, it's a very poor design choice.

Probably.

How does the One X stand up to drop tests? That device is absolutely gorgeous and seems incredibly solid.

But since all those phones will end up in some sort of case anyway, i would rather have access to the battery/sd card than trade that away on style.

BiggNife

I got a regular black rubber case at a mall kiosk for $13. It looked exactly like the Belkin cases that the Verizon store was selling but for $7 less. It adds a little more weight and girth than I would like but I'm willing to sacrifice style for safety.

I wasn't really planning on a screen protector but all this talk of cracked screens is making me paranoid and is making me think I should maybe get one of those Spectre glass screen protectors that were posted a few pages back.

Violater

I have the otterbox deffender, ugly as hell but I'm not using my phone as a fashion statement. Nor do I intend to buy a new phone before my 2 yrs are up.

Newline

You wont notice anything with the pentile at all. But for irrefutable proof, head to a local Sprint Tmobile or Verizon store. It will be worth the trip to hole use and surf the web on the phone itself. Then there can be no mistake. You will laugh at the idea of the comparison afterwards man.

Be sure to test it completely, flip around, change the settings, brightness etc. They will let you.

In the UK here but we have similar shops which allow you to check the phones out. Will do this, hyped now, I think i'm going to get my first andriod! Been on iOS for too long without trying out anything else.

Loxley

I use the Incipio DualPro Shine Hard Shell Case (also known as the case with most needlessly long name on the planet):

sa311.jpg

Its not bad. It's similar to the Otterbox cases in that it has two layers of protection; the inside layer is made of rubber and outer shell is a hard plastic with a brush-metal finish.

I was split between this and the Otterbox case, I liked that the Otterbox case actually allowed you to cover the ports when they were not in use, but I liked the looks of the Incipio case better overall. It doesn't add that much bulk at all and the buttons aren't hard to press down with the case on (a common criticism of the Otterbox cases).

I dropped my pebble blue yesterday, luckily there's nothing too broken.

The chrome is scratched, the back-cover can't close properly (a bit loose) because tiny bit of plastic that latches to the main unit is broken.

suddenly a protective cover is an attractive option....

What are the must-have security apps or programs to protect myself and my phone?

there are fake antivirus apps, just pick one from the list here.

Loxley

I think you all crazy for buying such an expensive delicate thing and not wanting to protect it.

My thoughts exactly. As far as phones are concerned, function trumps fashion for me. Sure, this thing looks great, but it's also a relatively fragile $500+ piece of technology that I rely on a lot. Which is why I also have insurance in edition to the protective case and willing to sacrifice its sleek design in the name of preventing this thing from being damaged. As others have said, I don't look at my phone as a fashion accessory/statement, its just as much of a tool as my big ugly ASUS laptop is.

Then again I'm the kind of person who physically cleans all his electronics once every three or so weeks to make sure everything stays in working condition.

*edit - Here are a couple photos of my phone in the case I posted above.

dsc01240e.jpg
dsc01241r.jpg

Does it really look that terrible?

I'll probably get a case eventually but for now its not really too important to me. I don't think i've ever dropped a phone or my ipod or anything like that. The furthest phone back I can remember was an HTC Touch, then an HTC Touch Pro, Evo 4g, Nexus S 4G for a while, and now GS3. never once dropped any of those or had any problems.

My mom on the other hand is constantly having problems. She put an Evo 4g in the washing machine once and they had to get the screen replaced and it still doesn't even work properly. I've tried to restore it but nothing i've done has worked at all. My parents both have iphones now...my dad has a sweet Element case or something that I would probably use if there was a version for GS3. It looks really nice and seems solid. I haven't seen any cases for the GS3 that seemed worth buying yet, but I haven't really been looking

legacyzero

Banned
My thoughts exactly. As far as phones are concerned, function trumps fashion for me. Sure, this thing looks great, but it's also a relatively fragile $500+ piece of technology that I rely on a lot. Which is why I also have insurance in edition to the protective case and willing to sacrifice its sleek design in the name of preventing this thing from being damaged. As others have said, I don't look at my phone as a fashion accessory/statement, its just as much of a tool as my big ugly ASUS laptop is.

Then again I'm the kind of person who physically cleans all his electronics once every three or so weeks to make sure everything stays in working condition.

*edit - Here are a couple photos of my phone in the case I posted above.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3480/dsc01240e.jpg[/IMG [IMG]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4426/dsc01241r.jpg[/IMG

Does it really look [I]that[/I] terrible?[/QUOTE]
that's a pretty badass looking case actually. Not a fan of the price though...

How is everybody fighting the infamous "[B]Cell Standby[/B]" battery killer??

Calantus

I'm about to buy Galaxy 3s and i'm definitly getting a case. I've had a crack down the middle of my screen for the past year and i won't have it happen again with this phone. That case looks good too.

surly

Banned
Does it really look that terrible?
Nope, but the only issue I have with that case is, why is there not just a plain white one? IMO, it would look much better if the colour matched the phone exactly.

The official Samsung one (not the flip case) looks OK, but it doesn't look like it would offer a great deal of protection outside of protecting the main body of the phone from getting scratched: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl0NDSwIjBU

Lucario

With this attitude I wonder why we don't see people driving around sports cars encased in thick plastic.

This. While some stylish cases exist, I bought this phone knowing it'd break if I dropped it; it's simply too large to encase in, say, an otterbox. The phone would end up being too large to fit in a pocket.

Also:

As someone who has never owned an android device before this, I fucking love this phone. I'm so glad I decided to upgrade to stay grandfathered for unlimited data; the utility of this phone far surpasses the iOS devices I've owned in the past. I'm never going back.

(No, it isn't as pretty as an iPhone, but I like being able to manage my files and naively play more than one media format. Sennheiser HD598s + native FLAC support + filesystem management = audiophile heaven.)

That said, I really miss the app store. There's so many useful programs I simply don't have access to anymore, although there's arguably enough "sketchily-rejected-from-iOS-store" apps on here to make up for that.

Loxley

Nope, but the only issue I have with that case is, why is there not just a plain white one? IMO, it would look much better if the colour matched the phone exactly.

The official Samsung one (not the flip case) looks OK, but it doesn't look like it would offer a great deal of protection outside of protecting the main body of the phone from getting scratched: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl0NDSwIjBU

I looked far and wide for a pure-white case that offered the same kind of protection, but couldn't find one :/ The Otterbox case is close, but the rubber inside layer is a flat grey.

BiggNife

With this attitude I wonder why we don't see people driving around sports cars encased in thick plastic.

I see both sides of the coin, personally. I totally get wanting to keep the phone's style but I care way more about what the phone can do as opposed to how it looks so I want to protect it. I'm also probably not the kind of person who would buy a sports car, so to each his own. I will say it's probably worth noting that probably 80% of the smartphones I see in public have cases on them.

While some stylish cases exist, I bought this phone knowing it'd break if I dropped it; it's simply too large to encase in, say, an otterbox. The phone would end up being too large to fit in a pocket.
Eh. A case adds a little thickness but the phone itself is thin enough that it really doesn't make it too big to fit in a pocket. I get what you're saying but I think you're exaggerating a tad.

Loxley

Yep, the GS3 is thin enough to the point where, even with the case on, it fits perfectly fine in my pockets. I'd actually venture to say that - with the case on - it's around the same thickness as the Galaxy Nexus with no case.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I think you all crazy for buying such an expensive delicate thing and not wanting to protect it.

lol

This is the very first time I've ever bought a phone and not have a shell/screen cover ready for it but it's not the most expensive phone I've purchased. It only cost me $100 total.

I'm not totally crazy. I bought Sprint's equipment protection thingy when I set up my phone so if something happens, they'll fix it for free. It's cheaper than the insurance program. Plus the AirRave they sent to me for free can be used for an phone upgrade anytime I want. If I go that route, I can always switch ESN for both devices. New phone for my main number and the AirRave can go back to the original number Sprint set up for it.

The last layer of protection is the fail safe plan. If this breaks, I still have my previous 4 phones so I can go back to using them.

Lucario

Yep, the GS3 is thin enough to the point where, even with the case on, it fits perfectly fine in my pockets. I'd actually venture to say that - with the case on - it's around the same thickness as the Galaxy Nexus with no case.

Skinny jeans my friend. I don't wear them daily, but the design of this phone is practically perfect to slide into skin-tight clothing; it's glorious.

Mulberry

I still have one day left to consider exchanging my nexus for an s3, but I don't want to miss out on jelly bean. Can this really be that much better than the nexus?

Top Bottom