• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

reKon

Banned
So I got my hands on the S4 today, the rep came in with it.

I gotta say, seeing it in pictures does it NO justice at all. The design, while looking similar is much improved over the old one. It does look a little more premium than even I gave it credit for when I first saw it. The metal band around the edge doesn't look as cheap as i'd first though either.

The screen on it is fantastic, and I changed it to adobe RGB and did notice a very subtle difference. i couldn't check out all the new features sadly as the rep said it had some butchered version of 4.2.2 on it and a lot of the features don't work.

Either way, you definitely have to see it in person before making up your mind. I think i'm still going to go with the HTC One, but it made the decision MUCH harder.

This is exactly what I thought when I was reading and watching impressions. Only you are the best reviewer. I really want to get my hands on both the HTC One and the Galaxy S IV.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Why wait? The HTC One has TWO buttons and will be available before the GS4.

Two is better than one. I just really like the old 4 capacitive layout. I used them all dammit!

not literally, but yeah very similar. Everything has been improved though, including the software unlike another very popular phone that I know of..

Im sure it's a significant upgrade going from my s2 to the s4 but im definitely not crazy about it aesthetically. If they don't release one in black im definitely not picking it up. I have to stare at that thing daily for the next 12 plus months.

reKon

Banned
Two is better than one. I just really like the old 4 capacitive layout. I used them all dammit!

Im sure it's a significant upgrade going from my s2 to the s4 but im definitely not crazy about it aesthetically. If they don't release one in black im definitely not picking it up. I have to stare at that thing daily for the next 12 plus months.

It's coming in black and white. Like the person said a couple of posts ago, even though it's similar, it does have a bit of a more premium look and feel according to him. You're going to be staring at a big ass screen that produces great colors for the next 12 months. There is less top and bottom bezel than there is with the GS3 and the shape isn't as rounded as the GS3.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's coming in black and white. Like the person said a couple of posts ago, even though it's similar, it does have a bit of a more premium look and feel according to him. You're going to be staring at a big ass screen that produces great colors for the next 12 months. There is less top and bottom bezel than there is with the GS3 and the shape isn't as rounded as the GS3.

I am cautiously optimistic.

but the GS4 (and GS3 and Note 2) have 3 buttons. there are capacitive buttons on both sides of the physical button. and yeah, i miss the search button too and really just liked the look of the 4 capacitive buttons more...

you mean solid black?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
but the GS4 (and GS3 and Note 2) have 3 buttons. there are capacitive buttons on both sides of the physical button. and yeah, i miss the search button too and really just liked the look of the 4 capacitive buttons more...

you mean solid black?

Yeah me too. I actually didnt know there were any capacitive buttons on the newer models. There was nothing wrong with the old 4 button layout. It was sleeker. I also really like the S2's shape compared to the new models. Oh well. I'll just wait until i get some hands on time before i throw a tantrum. As far as the color goes i meant like the S1 and S2 kind of black. I disliked the blue they used on the S3.

Yeah me too. I actually didnt know there were any capacitive buttons on the newer models. There was nothing wrong with the old 4 button layout. It was sleeker. I also really like the S2's shape compared to the new models. Oh well. I'll just wait until i get some hands on time before i throw a tantrum.

If it helps, the S4 has a flatter back and seemed like a slightly less rounded phone in general.

Yeah me too. I actually didnt know there were any capacitive buttons on the newer models. There was nothing wrong with the old 4 button layout. It was sleeker. I also really like the S2's shape compared to the new models. Oh well. I'll just wait until i get some hands on time before i throw a tantrum. As far as the color goes i meant like the S1 and S2 kind of black. I disliked the blue they used on the S3.

yeah, the buttons light up when in use and turn off when not in use.

fRN7Par.jpg

check out some videos and you'll see them in action.

nib95

Banned
Annoying that no further benchmarks of the Exynos 5 version have released yet. Especially with respect to GPU and battery performance. Still not sure whether it's worth it to import the Exynos version or stick with the quad core 1.9ghz version.

Marco1

Just sold my iphone5 and pre-ordered the SGS4 in black.
Really looking forward to an android phone but although it was hard to walk away from all of the apps and games I purchased on ios, I hardly used most of them.
I hope one day that all apps and games will release same day as ios but the iphone and ios just became stale to me.

Just sold my iphone5 and pre-ordered the SGS4 in black.
Really looking forward to an android phone but although it was hard to walk away from all of the apps and games I purchased on ios, I hardly used most of them.
I hope one day that all apps and games will release same day as ios but the iphone and ios just became stale to me.

Same here. Where did you preorder from? Most carriers don't start preorders until Tuesday the 16th

itshappenning.gif

Scrambling to find a launch date for the Samsung Galaxy S 4? Staples may have just dropped a hint. According to a leaked store training sheet, AT&T will be offering the next Galaxy phone on April 26th, followed by T-Mobile on May 1st and Verizon on the 30th. Bold lettering warns these dates are tentative but they are familiar, matching both the UK launch date and T-Mobile's own declarations.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/14/gs4-tentative-launch/

nib95

Banned
Just pulled the trigger on mine. 12 month contract on Voda, £35 a month, unlimited mins, unlimited texts, 2gb data, £50 for the phone. Specially discounted business contract!

So for you guys that have pre-ordered phones in the past, what has your experience been? Do I need to go first thing on Tuesday morning? Do pre-orders sell out? I've never done this before so I'm curious.

nib95

Banned
So for you guys that have pre-ordered phones in the past, what has your experience been? Do I need to go first thing on Tuesday morning? Do pre-orders sell out? I've never done this before so I'm curious.

I always order via their phone lines. They have more bargaining leeway than retail stores. Generally if I pre-order the phone, it usually just gets delivered in the morning on the day of the phone's release. If you were to buy it from the store, or pre-order last minute, yes, there is a chance it could be short on stock.

I remember that was the case with the iPhone 4S, where even though I'd pre-ordered it (a few days before it's release), I still had to wait a several days before they had some in post release date.

I always order via their phone lines. They have more bargaining leeway than retail stores. Generally if I pre-order the phone, it usually just gets delivered in the morning on the day of the phone's release. If you were to buy it from the store, or pre-order last minute, yes, there is a chance it could be short on stock.

I remember that was the case with the iPhone 4S, where even though I'd pre-ordered it (a few days before it's release), I still had to wait a several days before they had some in post release date.

I've never owned a smartphone so bear with me. I plan on having the S4 be my first smartphone, my current carrier is T-Mobile. Can I pre-order it now?

nib95

Banned
I've never owned a smartphone so bear with me. I plan on having the S4 be my first smartphone, my current carrier is T-Mobile. Can I pre-order it now?

Yes you should be able to. I'm assuming you mean T-Mobile in the US, but so long as your contract is expired or you're taking out a new one altogether, you should be able to pre-order now, but I don't know for certain. I know other carriers already have a pre-order possibility in place.

Just ring them up and find out.

Out of curiosity how come you've never had a smart phone up until now?

Yes you should be able to. I'm assuming you mean T-Mobile in the US, but so long as your contract is expired or you're taking out a new one altogether, you should be able to pre-order now, but I don't know for certain. I know other carriers already have a pre-order possibility in place.

Just ring them up and find out.

Out of curiosity how come you've never had a smart phone up until now?

Really never needed one. I don't text and rarely ever call people. I usually communicate though emails with family and friends. But the old Samsung phone that I've got now barely works, I can barely hear people during calls. The contract I have with T-Mobile is currently month to month so I figure if I"m going to get a new phone might as well make the leap to smartphones. When in Rome and whatever.

I'm so happy pebble blue is no longer a thing.

I can't wait to get a black GS4 when it comes to my carrier.

indeed. still can't believe that was a thing...

not yet. US Cellular and AT&T will start preorders tomorrow, the other carriers haven't started yet, but it will probably be this week or next week.

In canada it "arrives" on my bday. IS IT A SIGN. Probably not. Anyway, news:

According to the TELUS press release they note that “The Samsung GALAXY S4 is available to pre-order today from TELUS with device delivery commencing on April 27, and in-store availability starting May 3. At Canadian launch, two color options will be available – Black Mist and White Frost; with additional color options to follow later this year.”

No indication of what colours we can expect, but past Galaxy smartphone colours have been Pebble Blue, Marble White, Amber Brown, Garnet Red, Sapphire Black, Amethyst Purple and Titanium Grey.

nib95

Banned
Must say, pissed off at the way the UK market is headed. We're not only not getting the octa core version, but now the highest memory version they stock is 16gb. That is no where near enough for me. Thank heavens it has a micro sd slot, otherwise the 16gb would be useless.

Phone vendors need to understand that if shit like megapixels and video recording quality keep going up, so too does the amount of storage required.

swaggerhound8

Neo Member
I managed to see the S4 for pre-order on the AT&T U.S. website and click through to the product description. After several attempts, I was unable to login to my account and complete the transaction. In a futile effort I cleared my cache, only to find the phone completely off the website. Anyone have similar results?

Guess Who

Banned
fuck it, we have the cloud now brother

Yes, who needs local storage? Let's give all our data to big corporations and trust them to hold onto it for us! If their network or my network is ever down, ah, whatever, I didn't need that filthy data anyway.

Hate, hate, hate this idea of sacrificing local storage in favor of cloud storage. Cloud storage is a complement to local storage, not a replacement.

nib95

Banned
Yes, who needs local storage? Let's give all our data to big corporations and trust them to hold onto it for us! If their network or my network is ever down, ah, whatever, I didn't need that filthy data anyway.

Hate, hate, hate this idea of sacrificing local storage in favor of cloud storage. Cloud storage is a complement to local storage, not a replacement.

Completely agree. Plus upload speeds aren't nearly good enough in the UK for it to be a viable alternative to local storage, which will be order of magnitude quicker and data tariff free.

Unreliability of always online (thank you Adam Orth) is a big reason why I demand an SD card slot on my phones. That way I can store all my music locally and not worry about signal or monthly caps when relying on the cloud. It's also a lot easier to manage my music when it's local instead of in the cloud.

Top Bottom