• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Mesoian

Any ideas on Verizon? I don't really follow this but have been waiting patiently. I still have a thunderbolt and my battery life is about 1.5 hours.

WORD. I'm in the same boat only with a broken screen and have to buy off contract to keep my unlimited data.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Awesome, I'm kind of glad to be on US Cellular for once. I'll have to check if I have enough reward points to upgrade early.

Not really, but the support for just about any new piece of software isn't there. I can't play vice city or get Facebook home because my phone gets ignored. It may be 6 months old but it gets shit for support and swept under the rug for the one

i can't speak for Vice City, but Facebook Home is literally on six phones. it doesn't even work on the EVO 4G LTE, which is almost the exact same phone as the HTC One X! oh, and you can get a patched version on XDA that supports most devices.

reKon

Banned
If I get a micro SD card and download stuff to the phone does this all save to the SD card or does it save to the phone storage? Is there anyway to choose where the default location is?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I think everything will be saved on your SD card except the apps from the Google Play Store. Those will go in your internal phone storage. That's the way it works on my S3.

If I get a micro SD card and download stuff to the phone does this all save to the SD card or does it save to the phone storage? Is there anyway to choose where the default location is?
apps go on the internal, you can choose for other stuff like photos, music, video, etc...

Angst

apps go on the internal, you can choose for other stuff like photos, music, video, etc...

Play Music stores offline music on the internal card with no option to use the external card.
Spotify until a recent update stored everything on the internal card.

In my experience most apps ignore the external card unless you explicitly tell them to save stuff on it.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Going from xperia S to S4 in may, hope i notice a huge upgrade cause my S has been giving me lag issues lately.

I'm upgrading from a Galaxy S1 lol your Xperia is like a Ferrari compared to my phone T_T

The original Galaxy S is quite a long-lived device though. Unofficially there have been ROMs which bring it all the way up to Jelly Bean 4.2.2. It was also the first Samsung device to feature a Wolfson audio hub, making it the best Android device for any kind for music playback all the way until the Galaxy S III and Note II brought the Wolfson chip back after it was absent from the Galaxy S II.

nib95

Banned
Yep, all white backgrounds on websites suck more power on AMOLED.

gsmarena_001.jpg

galaxy-s4-battery-test.jpg

I have mobile GAF set to Dark theme, and that encompasses most of my browsing. With the S4 I should get a lot more browsing time than their test, which sounds bloody awesome tbh.

Cipherr

Play Music stores offline music on the internal card with no option to use the external card.
Spotify until a recent update stored everything on the internal card.

In my experience most apps ignore the external card unless you explicitly tell them to save stuff on it.

Apparently theres an app on XDA that does this too. Allows you to keep the GMusic skin and just set the cache directory to your SD card. Nice and easy.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2140756

reKon

Banned
They better have my 32 gb version ready. The HTC One starts at 32 gb... don't make this a problem for you Samsung

Explain to me how to read this.

The S4 gets marginally better talk time and marginally better video playback time while the One gets over an hour+ of web time.

In practical use, doesn't this mean that the One gets better battery life?

nib95

Banned

The S4 gets marginally better talk time and marginally better video playback time while the One gets over an hour+ of web time.

They include stand by time. Ie when the phone is technically inactive or not doing anything in particular, but notifications etc are still coming in. Here the S4 fares far better than the One. Standby time is fairly important in this respect as most of the time people aren't actually even using their phones.

reKon

Banned

that total time includes stand by and apparently sense 5's blinkfeed sucks the life out of the battery so it's idling time sucks. Once developers get this disable, I can see a phone like this hitting 65+

like said above, basically on normal use, default standby time is better on the S4. You'd have to tweak some settings on the one to make it closer (like not using blinkfeed or manual update) as well as some other stuff.

They include stand by time. Ie when the phone is technically inactive or not doing anything in particular, but notifications etc are still coming in. Here the S4 fares far better than the One. Standby time is fairly important in this respect as most of the time people aren't actually even using their phones.

that total time includes stand by and apparently sense 5's blinkfeed sucks the life out of the battery so it's idling time sucks. Once developers get this disable, I can see a phone like this hitting 65+

like said above, basically on normal use, default standby time is better on the S4. You'd have to tweak some settings on the one to make it closer (like not using blinkfeed or manual update) as well as some other stuff.

Perfect, thanks!

So the 48h is ONLY on standby? Or standby + usage?

MarkusRJR

Any info on when this will be coming to Koodo Mobile in Canada? Every other carrier has info out already except for Koodo seemingly.

My money is waiting to be spent at this point.

NomarTyme

Damn want really want the HTC One for it bad ass speakers, but S4 with it removable batery, sd slot and standby time, that gonna sway me over the S4 camp.

Will the S4 come with a SIM in it or will I have to take it out from my iPhone 5 and put it in?

Also, is that all I'll have to do or do I have to go through AT&T to tell them I have a new phone?

reKon

Banned
This was posted in the Android thread, but here's another S4 review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8STgCviLe0

There aren't too many reviews out yet. Even though the HTC One looks amazing, based on my time using the One and the impressions I've watched, Touchwiz is definitely superior and a good alternative to Nova Launcher.

Batman

Banned
What's a reliable site to get an unlocked S4 from? I saw a site charging $1,000 but that's ridiculous. I plan to use the Tmobile $30 a month deal so I don't know if I should buy from them since it might have some bloatware and whatever else or buy it separately unlocked.

AT&T eMail said:
Samsung Galaxy S® 4 preorder shipment

Dear Valued AT&T Customer,

Thank you for ordering the Samsung Galaxy S® 4 from AT&T. We are excited to announce that we are able to ship devices earlier than originally expected. Customers who preordered their smartphone early can begin receiving it as soon as April 25th.

You should expect to receive an Order Confirmation email with your shipment tracking number as soon as your order has been shipped.

AT&T is committed to outstanding customer service and we hope you are as delighted with this good news as we are to be sharing it with you.

Sincerely,

AT&T

GET.HYPE.

VoxPop

What's a reliable site to get an unlocked S4 from? I saw a site charging $1,000 but that's ridiculous. I plan to use the Tmobile $30 a month deal so I don't know if I should buy from them since it might have some bloatware and whatever else or buy it separately unlocked.

Where on the tmobile site is the $30 deal?

Batman

Banned
I am not sure why, maybe there are prepaid sim cards that are different than the normal ones? They say you pick the option when you activate it on your phone.

Wads

Banned
Not sure if its still available. I choose my device, micro SIM, but the lowest plan is $50/mo for 500MB data, unlimited talk and text. Can't seem to find the $30 deal anywhere. That sounds like the perfect plan for me too.

It's still listed on that page. You could always just get it from walmart. You can buy the card there.

SIM Unlocked? can't you just buy it from a T-Mobile store and request an unlock code?

Top Bottom