• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Marco1

I have mine pre-ordered with O2 yet O2 can not tell me if I will receive one or when it will arrive 2 days before it comes out.
I fucking HATE UK carriers.

pastapadre

Neo Member
Anyone know when tonight T-Mobile is going to flip the switch?

Edit: talking about time, obviously, not date.

Seems the iPhone 5 a few weeks ago went live at 4am ET - so we may be looking at some random point in the middle of the night instead of being on the dot at midnight.

What's the word on screen protectors and cases? Any clear leaders like InvisibleShield and Otterbox? Mine is coming in Thursday.

I'm going to wait and see what Elago comes out with. They're affordable and their case on my iPhone 5 is alluminum and one of my favorite cases I've ever had.

few sites are saying that there might be a rugged version of the S4 in the coming months..suppose to be dust and water proof like the xperia Z.....that would be nice if it was actually true.

Snaku

Banned
few sites are saying that there might be a rugged version of the S4 in the coming months..suppose to be dust and water proof like the xperia Z.....that would be nice if it was actually true.

Hell, if the Note 3 has that unbreakable flex screen I'll splode. Dust and water proofing should have already happened to these phones.

Cipherr

Verge Review is in.

4yvjabY.png

agKCYm2.png

maruseesu2.png

I wonder what the score of the S4 would have been had it come out before the HTC One.

EDIT: Not hating on anything. Just the HTC One was mentioned a whole lot in the S4 review. Sounds like the S4 was a great phone but is being looked down on (especially in the design category) when sitting right next to the HTC One...which i guess is what most people will do, but still...ya know?

I wonder what the score of the S4 would have been had it come out before the HTC One.
I think people are just souring on on the design language and abundance of mostly gimmicky software. I bet if touch wiz looked slicker and the phones build quality was higher quality I think they'd 9 it. Or something closer to that at least.

.GqueB.

Banned
They're just arbitrary numbers. In the end of the S4 review, they make it pretty clear that there's valid reasons to choose either phone over the other, depending on your preferences.

All these battery stories are worrying me about the One. It dies quickly AND it takes long to charge. I'm still on the fence (considering the One even comes to Verizon).

All these battery stories are worrying me about the One. It dies quickly AND it takes long to charge. I'm still on the fence (considering the One even comes to Verizon).
Is not a bad battery at all and anyone knows me in the android OT knows I'm harsh on battery life on phones.

Just try both hands on and make the choice that feels right in the gut.

TxdoHawk

I haven't seen any indication the One is coming to Verizon...but even if it eventually does, your battery life concerns (which I share) would steer me toward the S4. It's a shame, too, because the One is a real stunner. They should've made it a little thicker to squeeze in more juice, if they insisted on going the non-removable route.

.GqueB.

Banned
Is not a bad battery at all and anyone knows me in the android OT knows I'm harsh on battery life on phones.

Just try both hands on and make the choice that feels right in the gut.

I feel like I'd gravitate toward the One. I don't LOVE the speakers but it looks like a sexy ass phone and the interface looks a tad more streamlined. Can't wait to try these f'ers out. Also keeping in mind that Verizon may not get this for a while, if ever. May have to get an S4 by default.

I haven't seen any indication the One is coming to Verizon...but even if it eventually does, your battery life concerns (which I share) would steer me toward the S4. It's a shame, too, because the One is a real stunner. They should've made it a little thicker to squeeze in more juice, if they insisted on going the non-removable route.

I'm mostly going by rumors (which mean nothing these days) but I'm still hopin.

nib95

Banned
Gotta say, that Verge review is pretty awful. Wonder if money was involved or if they were just intentionally hyperbolic. "Absolutely gross to hold" lol. "Picks up finger prints", like other phones obviously don't. Even the comments about the screen, how about using Adobe RGB mode if you want accurate colours? You know, the mode that has tested better for colour accuracy scientifically over even the HTC One and iPhone 5? Also a bigger lol at too many (optional) software features being a negative. Made me lol.

The Verge said:
Ultimately I don't enjoy using this phone as much as the HTC One or the iPhone 5. It feels cheap and chinsey and just unimpressive. Everyone I handed the device to had the same first reaction, and it was never good.

Lol.

Gotta say, that Verge review is pretty awful. Wonder if money was involved or if they were just intentionally hyperbolic. "Absolutely gross to hold" lol. "Picks up finger prints", like other phones obviously don't. Even the comments about the screen, how about using Adobe RGB mode if you want accurate colours? You know, the mode that has tested better for colour accuracy scientifically over even the HTC One and iPhone 5? Also a bigger lol at too many (optional) software features being a negative. Made me lol.

Lol.

Um.....they gave the display a 10......

He complained about the look and feel. The damn thing looks like a toy or something made from tupperware. The back is especially gross looking. Samsung needs some better designers.

buhdeh

He complained about the look and feel. The damn thing looks like a toy or something made from tupperware. The back is especially gross looking. Samsung needs some better designers.

Pretty much. No one's asking for all aluminum but they could and should be able to make a way nicer phone. Even with plastic.

nib95

Banned

I've always found the Galaxy line of phone's very comfortable to hold, especially the S3. Whilst it may not feel especially premium, it certainly feels comfortable.

It's weird Verge just shrugged off the massive design accomplishments, the slimmest, lightest phone in it's category with such a screen, and such battery capacity, with both a removable battery and sd card slot etc. All the reviews have mentioned it's more comfortable to hold than the S3, and add to that the slimmer bezel, smaller size (despite larger screen) and metal surrounding band etc certainly add to it. Strange that the S3 is an 8 in design and the S4 a 5, despite the S4's design accomplishments being far greater.

Cipherr

The same design as last year was lazy as fuck too. I figured that would come back to bite them in some way with the reviewers. Apple gets away with that in reviews, but noone else is going to, not even HTC next year. They should have known better.

Samsung previously had to make as many as 4+ variations of the same phone (Galaxy S2) just to appease the U.S. carriers..... So I'm not willing to believe that they couldn't redesign a SINGLE device for the S4 launch. They were just lazy and cutting costs. They will still crush HTC in sales, but jimmies will be rustled, they won't try this shit again next year.

Weird how the S3 is an 8 in design and the S4 a 5, despite the S4's design accomplishments being far greater.

That too me was the dead giveaway. They subtracted 3 points from last year on design, when its the same design but a little better. That tells me that he was looking to make a point. He really did go on and on about the plastic in the video and written review.

I've always found the Galaxy line of phone's very comfortable to hold, especially the S3. Whilst it may not feel especially premium, it certainly feels comfortable.

It's weird Verge just shrugged off the massive design accomplishments, the slimmest, lightest phone in it's category with such a screen, and such battery capacity, with both a removable battery and sd card slot etc. All the reviews have mentioned it's more comfortable to hold than the S3, and add to that the slimmer bezel, smaller size (despite larger screen) and metal surrounding band etc certainly add to it. Strange that the S3 is an 8 in design and the S4 a 5, despite the S4's design accomplishments being far greater.
But they did mention the comfort. But that lightness comes at the expense of premium materials.

And is removable battery really a big deal?

The only thing I found odd about the review (and a lot of galaxy reviews) is the weird impression people have of AMOLED looking "fake" and having too much contrast.

Snaku

Banned
Never understood the hate the Galaxy line incurs. They look like they were pulled straight out of Abrams Star Trek.

twofold

The only thing I found odd about the review (and a lot of galaxy reviews) is the weird impression people have of AMOLED looking "fake" and having too much contrast.

To me, amoled screens look "unnatural". I can't put my finger on it, but the look of the screens doesn't gel with me. Whenever I use my girlfriend's Note 2, the awful whites and the overly saturated colours simply look bad to my eyes. I much prefer the look of LCD screens. Obviously, not everyone feels the same as me, which is why choice is a good thing.

That too me was the dead giveaway. They subtracted 3 points from last year on design, when its the same design but a little better. That tells me that he was looking to make a point. He really did go on and on about the plastic in the video and written review.

I think its because they are trying to compare it to the HTC One. I had no issues with the S3 and i thought it felt very comfy in the hand. If the One never came out, they would probably score the design higher..

I can't believe I rationalize the Verge.....i dislike the site...

VoxPop

Probably because phones like the Lumia, One, iPhone 5, and Nexus 4 all started hitting the shelves since then which all look infinitely better than the S3/S4. I never thought that my S3 was all that comfortable to hold as you claim. To each their own I guess.

nib95

Banned
To me, amoled screens look "unnatural". I can't put my finger on it, but the look of the screens doesn't gel with me. Whenever I use my girlfriend's Note 2, the awful whites and the overly saturated colours simply look bad to my eyes. I much prefer the look of LCD screens. Obviously, not everyone feels the same as me, which is why choice is a good thing.

She probably has it on the default screen mode. Just get her to switch to "Natural". Though the S4 seems to be the first AMOLED to really nail colour accuracy.

The S4's screen actually registers closest to the 6500k ideal (when set to Adobe RGB mode) compared to both the HTC One and the iPhone 5, which fall in the slightly too cool bracket.

Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One vs. Apple iPhone 5 display test confirms AMOLEDs can finally do accurate colors

Probably because phones like the Lumia, One, iPhone 5, and Nexus 4 all started hitting the shelves since then which all look infinitely better than the S3/S4. I never thought that my S3 was all that comfortable to hold as you claim. To each their own I guess.

But those designs also have their own inherent issues, be it weight, overly large bezels, smaller screen sizes, smaller batteries, no sd slot or removable batteries, easy scratching (especially the iPhone 5's edges) etc. Verge barely touched on these things, or the advantages of these particular design aspects with the S4. Being made of premium materials is but one thing of many that people might consider when concerning design or ergonomics.

twofold

She probably has it on the default screen mode. Just get her to switch to "Natural". Though the S4 seems to be the first AMOLED to really nail colour accuracy.

The S4's screen actually registers closest to the 6500k ideal (when set to Adobe RGB mode) compared to both the HTC One and the iPhone 5, which fall in the slightly too cool bracket.

Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One vs. Apple iPhone 5 display test confirms AMOLEDs can finally do accurate colors

I just checked - it's already on the 'natural' mode. I just tried the default mode, too, and that looked truly awful. I can't believe people use that.

Agreed. I never found the S3 to be comfortable either. My iphone 4 feels much nicer in the hand.

Top Bottom