• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Nemesis_

I am smelling supply issue already in Australia, none of the major companies have it listed on their website and if they do they have it as OUT OF STOCK with "limited availability" on the 27th of April.

Still taking colour suggestions from you guys though, if you've seen it (or even if you havent)

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I think I'm going to order mine today from US Cellular. The finish kind of bothers me, and hopefully it's good against scratches. I guess the back is swappable, though, and I am getting the S-view cover for free.

After getting my N10, I really need a phone with 4.2.2 (my Photon knock-off from US Cellular is 2.3).

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
'True Note Competitor' means 'Wacom Tech' not 'Big Screen'

i do like the nice touch they did with the notification light surrounding the home button, that's nice.

I'm just curious: what do you all use the S-Pen for? It seemed like a cool feature, but I can't imagine I'd use it all that frequently.

Not that it means much, but I'll be going for the white. My last two phones were black and, when I look at the Galaxy, it doesn't look quite right in black. I know that's just me, but I just cannot see myself with a black GS4.

So will AT&T stores see these coming in soon? I already have a store that should be calling me when they get them in, but I'm not sure when I should be expecting that call.

Not that it means much, but I'll be going for the white. My last two phones were black and, when I look at the Galaxy, it doesn't look quite right in black. I know that's just me, but I just cannot see myself with a black GS4.

So will AT&T stores see these coming in soon? I already have a store that should be calling me when they get them in, but I'm not sure when I should be expecting that call.

I just popped in one next to where I work (in New Jersey) to look for cases. They are expecting the phone Friday and hopefully cases with it.

Damn you gadget lust. It's either upgrade early on Verizon to get the S4, or wait until the fall and hope the new iPhone kicks ass (along with whatever else is released in the fall). It's smarter to wait (it's ALWAYS smarter to wait) but...ugh.

My current Droid Bionic has soured me on Android a bit, but I'm sure it's implemented better in the S4 (it HAS to be).

This is the case I'll be getting.

I've had an Elago Case on my iPhone5 for months and its one of the best cases I've ever had. Hopefully it'll be available for order when the phone hits stores in a few days.

G7SM_Banner.jpg

This is the case I'll be getting.

I've had an Elago Case on my iPhone5 for months and its one of the best cases I've ever had. Hopefully it'll be available for order when the phone hits stores in a few days.

G7SM_Banner.jpg

This looks smooth, thin, and elegant. Did the matte finish every get visibly greasy? Did it bulk up the phone noticeably?

This looks smooth, thin, and elegant. Did the matte finish every get visibly greasy? Did it bulk up the phone noticeably?

I have the Elago Outfit. Fits tight like a tiger, well built, and made of heavy construction. Minor grease finger. I pray to all that is holy that Elago makes an Outfit for the S4.

My brother has the Slim (as seen above) for the iPhone 5. Silky smooth (not catchy like it won't come out of your pocket easily.) Built well but low-profile as a mother. No visible grease at all.

And they have some deal with Amazon. I got my outfit for $8. He got his Slim for $7.

I have the Elago Outfit. Fits tight like a tiger, well built, and made of heavy construction. Minor grease finger. I pray to all that is holy that Elago makes an Outfit for the S4.

My brother has the Slim (as seen above) for the iPhone 5. Silky smooth (not catchy like it won't come out of your pocket easily.) Built well but low-profile as a mother. No visible grease at all.

And they have some deal with Amazon. I got my outfit for $8. He got his Slim for $7.

So the Slim is non-grease and smooth? Nice, I might get that one then. Where's the deal?

Negator

I'm looking for a kickstand case. The Evo spoiled the hell out of me with this built-in kickstand and I can't imagine having a phone without it.

There's quite a bit of options on Amazon. Hopefully I can find one that doesn't ridiculously bulk up the phone.

reKon

Banned
An S4 in alunium+polycarbonate type case would be perfect and would push me towards finally just picking the S4 and calling it a day

Signed up for an Amazon Rewards Visa; basically gonna get it for free since the card gets $30 after your first purchase.

Nice, I've had one of those for years. Your rewards points add up pretty quickly. You should also look into Prime if you shop there a lot. Free two day shipping (comes in 1 day a lot of the time) and $3.99 guaranteed next day delivery. You can order all the way up to like 5pm and still have it the next day.

Nice, I've had one of those for years. Your rewards points add up pretty quickly. You should also look into Prime if you shop there a lot. Free two day shipping (comes in 1 day a lot of the time) and $3.99 guaranteed next day delivery. You can order all the way up to like 5pm and still have it the next day.

Possibly, but I don't shop there very often. If I get hooked on this Rewards thing, though, then maybe. Thanks for the suggestion. :D I'm deeply considering this elago case. Now I'm not sure if I want black case on black phone or black case on white phone.

inm8num2

I haven't really heard this said from anyone anywhere.

http://allthingsd.com/20130423/galaxy-s-4-is-a-good-but-not-a-great-step-up/

Saw that in a review roundup somewhere. Don't worry, I'm not saying the phone isn't a good enough improvement. I haven't studied the phone.

From the Verge:

The new handset changes little from the GS III, but it adds a lot — a bigger screen, and a laundry list of software tweaks and features. It's a variation on a theme, a safe tweak to a strategy that’s worked impossibly well for Samsung.

It's not a criticism. GS3 was amazing. GS4 also seems to be great, but it doesn't sound like they needed to radically alter much.

http://allthingsd.com/20130423/galaxy-s-4-is-a-good-but-not-a-great-step-up/

Saw that in a review roundup somewhere. Don't worry, I'm not saying the phone isn't a good enough improvement. I haven't studied the phone.

From the Verge:

It's not a criticism. GS3 was amazing. GS4 also seems to be great, but it doesn't sound like they needed to radically alter much.

Exactly. If they would have kept the S3 specs the same and added an aluminum body this phone would have scored much much better.

reKon

Banned
which colors are you getting? I never get white of anything, but they look good with cases. If I get black then it's obviously only going to be a black case for me

Girlfriends birthday is this Saturday and was hoping to pick this up for her, but that's looking really unlikely. She's a US Cellular user, is she screwed for a long time to get this thing??

take her to dinner and tell her that her gift is in the mail? :D

Folks looking to pick up a Samsung Galaxy S4 on U.S. Cellular can now start counting down with everyone else. The device will be available Friday April 26 for people purchasing online, and in stores on the shelves Tuesday, April 30. Both the White Frost and Black Mist version in 16GB will be available, and at the cash register, you'll need to part with $199 if you're eligible for an upgrade price.
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...e-us-cellular-april-26-online-april-30-stores

Rengoku

Lol, did anybody see their new S4 commercial showcasing the translator app? The translation at the end was incorrect, what were they thinking?

iPhone says that it's not. And if you're telling everybody not to buy the One because the lack of removable batteries you're doing them a disservice.

Nope, its a huge fucking deal.

First, forget the iphone, were talking android options.

Batteries are unreliable pieces of shit. They dont last. I dont care what the HTC battery is rated for on day one...the contract is for 2 years. Its extremely important that if the battery screws up, the customer can fix it by spending $15 and popping in a new one, vs some ridiculous replacement scheme.

A removable battery also helps if theres ever a hard freeze. Or if the phone falls in a tub of water.

Or if youre going on a trip for two days, and want to bring along a spare.

When I was talking to my customers, I would plainly list those problems, throw in the fact that HTC ALSO does not support SD cards...

And well, the decision was pretty obvious.

HTC, continue to dig your own grave.

D23

i thought this phone is already out, went to att and tmobile today to see if they have any demo unit so i can compare it to htc one...

i need a new phone sooo bad!! gotta decide soon

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Batteries are unreliable pieces of shit. They dont last. I dont care what the HTC battery is rated for on day one...the contract is for 2 years. Its extremely important that if the battery screws up, the customer can fix it by spending $15 and popping in a new one, vs some ridiculous replacement scheme.

A removable battery also helps if theres ever a hard freeze. Or if the phone falls in a tub of water.

When I was talking to my customers, I would plainly list those problems, throw in the fact that HTC ALSO does not support SD cards...

I'd say they're doing alright so far but they will take your wisdom into account.

D23

i think htc is doing really good tho

I don't get it. Why forget about the iPhone? It's one of the most popular smartphones out there and doesn't need a replaceable battery or sd card slot. I'm not saying nobody needs these options but Apple is just doing just fine without them. The SD card wont even factor in for most people on a 64 gig phone.

Schlep

I don't get it. Why forget about the iPhone? It's one of the most popular smartphones out there and doesn't need a replaceable battery or sd card slot. I'm not saying nobody needs these options but Apple is just doing just fine without them. The SD card wont even factor in for most people on a 64 gig phone.
The main difference with the iPhone is the battery can be replaced, for one. It's not as easy as opening a back cover, but that teardown of the One where they said you need a new phone if you open it up scared me off. The iPhone there are plenty of places you can take it to get the battery switched out.

On top of that, you can take an iPhone to an Apple Store and get service on the spot. HTC is handled via the carrier stores, and I don't think I've ever been in a carrier store, of any of the big four, and felt like they were all that competent. I feel like you'd be lucky to get one replaced for anything less than full price if you don't purchase a protection plan.

He's apparently an awful salesman taking his own bias into account when choosing a phone for a customer. I would not hire this man.

Top Bottom