• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Certinty

Thanks guys. Will probably pick a octa core version up next month then, definitely swings me away from a HTC One and Sony Xperia Z.

'almost' too big? this only means that you can go tighter!!!

Noooo!

I actually messed up the screen on the first Note 2 a week after I bought it. It BARELY fit in the jacket pocket I was wearing and it slipped out when I sat down in my car, and it fell on the asphalt. Then there was a little permanent pink spot on the screen.

Thankfully I was able to get it replaced under warranty (forgot to mention that I dropped it, of course). Still, it's a BIG ASS phone, but I LOVE the battery in this monster. I can get 3 days of normal use out of it if I try to. I was having to charge my iPhone 5 every night before that.

And I would rather have a shovel to the back of my head than ever have another HTC phone. HTC first.... What a ridiculous opinion.
But it's METAL! How can you say no to that?!

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/9219904986/shootout-samsunggalaxys4-vs-htcone-vs-iphone5-vs-lumia920

Interesting article from an apparent highly regarded photography magazine. Compares the camera between the One, S4, iPhone 5 and Lumia 920.

Best overall camera is the S4
Best low light is One
Best bright light level is the S4 but the One has more dynamic range
IPhone 5 is good but not standout
Nokia is poop
oh snap.

But it's METAL! How can you say no to that?!

the HTC First isn't metal, it's plastic. but it is Unibody, like last year's HTC One X...

Had a little snaffu with text messages. They were still going to my iPhone cause I had it connected to wifi at home.

I had to turn off iMessage on all my apple devices and then go into iTunes and change my iTunes password. Then restarted phone.

IrHoHxc.jpg

wow... if that puts it in speakerphone automatically, CUT THE CHECK

edit: OH WAIT IT DOES!!! that is amazing!

Had a little snaffu with text messages. They were still going to my iPhone cause I had it connected to wifi at home.

I had to turn off iMessage on all my apple devices and then go into iTunes and change my iTunes password. Then restarted phone.

i thought people said that was fixed...

nib95

Banned
nope nope, fuck gimmicks. Samsung is joke

There's three posters just above who would find this extremely useful, as would I at the desk or when having lunch etc. Yet here you are calling it a gimmick.

The new meme to defend brands and criticise others seems to be to prefer dumber phones and refer to all additional OPTIONAL features and innovations as gimmicks.

Some questions:

- Can I change the location of the "Apps" icon on the drawer, right now its sitting on the bottom right.

- Text messages aren't displaying who they are from on the lock screen. Just a notification. Can I edit this somewhere or do you recommend a new text app?

There's three posters just above who would find this extremely useful, as would I at the desk or when having lunch etc. Yet here you are calling it a gimmick.

The new meme to defend brands and criticise others seems to be to prefer dumber phones and refer to all additional OPTIONAL features and innovations as gimmicks.

i thought that was sarcasm. we need clarification!

reKon

Banned

SARCASM

I was more pointing fun at how everyone is declaring anything that could be potential more useful or is currently useful to people a gimmick.

Anyways, back to what I wanted to post originally:

I'm seeing a lot of nice looking cheap minimalist cases popping up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGRS4KI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Some questions:

- Can I change the location of the "Apps" icon on the drawer, right now its sitting on the bottom right.

- Text messages aren't displaying who they are from on the lock screen. Just a notification. Can I edit this somewhere or do you recommend a new text app?

no, you can't change the location of the app drawer icon in the stock Samsung launcher.

no idea on if you can show names with the lockscreen, try DashClock

nib95

Banned
SARCASM

I was more pointing fun at how everyone is declaring anything that could be potential more useful or is currently useful to people a gimmick.

Oh haha. My sarcasm detector is broken. So many people claiming everything is a gimmick these days you can't tell any more lol.

nib95

Banned
I want a rear cover (not case) that has a cut out for the speaker on the rear instead of the slots. Read online that the speaker is much louder and clearer with the back off. Seems strange they'd cover it with so much plastic.

Nemesis_

Australian shortages seem to be a thing. Most stores will not have stock on the official launch date and the phone will be order-only in some stores too.

Really wondering why they would announce a date and then not have most major stores stocked for it. I don't understand the mentality at all :/

javac

Its coming out on the 27th and my order is still unchanged from when I ordered it. Pending. I wonder if I'll even get it...darn it. From the UK btw.

So this is my first smartphone. Dizzying amount of options. Any recommendations or good guides for getting started? Best apps etc. Looking to get as much as possible out of this.

nope nope, fuck gimmicks. Samsung is joke

As someone who gets his hands dirty all the time at work, this is the type of feature I am really excited about.

Just because you don't need it doesn't mean that others won't find value in it.

SARCASM

damnit. I hate internet sarcasm. Now I look like an idiot. :)

I got my hands on at a ATT store.

No signage or anything for the S4 yet, so I had to do a double take to make sure its an S4 not an S3.

first impression is that the screen is really awesome, big improvement from the S3.
The screen very clear and vibrant. Tried out the different color modes and it did kinda tone down the vibrant a bit, but not too much. The viewing angle is as good as the htc One, but the one is bright and white is more white. Regardless, I think the screen is as good as the One.

As good the screen is.....touchwiz is is drawback, not much different than the S3..NEON GREEN EVERYWHERE!!

Performance was kinda weird....it seem like its faster than the One, but certain times it kinda has hiccup...

Camera seem way better than the One...but didn't really try out much.

The built isn't as cheap quality as what most reviewers are saying. The lightness is very nice. I think what makes it cheap looking is the rounded corners. I think the only reason reviewers are shouting cheap is cause they are comparing it with the One. If the One didn't exist, no one will be complaining about the design or built.

FoxSpirit

I curious as to what the big differences will be between the Quad and Octo. Less powerfull? Drains battery faster?
And yeah, we get the Quad here, with the 4G net and all.

After spending almost all of yesterday fiddling around with stuff I'm really enjoying the phone but still feel like I haven't even cracked the surface of what I can do with it.

There are some iOS things that I miss, but I knew that going in.
-- I miss: Tap status bar to go to top of page. of anything.
-- I miss: Lock screen notifications on iOS are simple and I still can't figure out how to get something acceptable to me on this phone. I want a notification on my lock screen that I got a message from John and he says Whats Up, and an email from Joe that says hey. Swiping across or touchign either of those will take me to their respective apps/message.
-- Google Now = wow. I woke up today and I had 3 "cards" waiting for me. Today's weather, A concert nearby, and the TRACKING INFO FOR A PACKAGE I'M WAITING FOR. How the hell did it know that was important to me? (It obviously knew via an email I received from the company a few days ago, but the face that it shows me it is ridiculous.)
-- I miss: Apple's display fluidity. When a web page or something fully loaded you could flick that thing up and down like a madman and you wouldn't get a hiccup. There is still some studder involved with these pages. Especially a gaf page.
-- My girlfriend is having a tough time getting used to the new OS. Some things seem overly complicated. Or maybe we just don't know how to get to them.
-- I'm used to just going to the main Settings app to change everything. Now, I need to find where to edit something's settings.
-- Google Play store is fast, quick, and all the apps I've downloaded so far have been great quality
-- I'm having trouble getting used to the textin. The space bar is in a little different location and the auto-correct isn't doing as good a job as Apple's. I haven't forced myself to use Swype yet.
-- Launching apps from Lockscreen is great.

And mainly, the reason I got the phone (coming from an iPhone 5)
*** The screen size/clarity changes your entire experience of what you think you can do on your phone. ***
- Open up Instagram - Holy shit those pics are gorgeous
- Facebook, I can see so much
- Twitter, So much info, so clear.
- Videos, Trailers, YouTube. Jaw dropping.

nib95

Banned
Bolded answers.

After spending almost all of yesterday fiddling around with stuff I'm really enjoying the phone but still feel like I haven't even cracked the surface of what I can do with it.

There are some iOS things that I miss, but I knew that going in.
-- I miss: Tap status bar to go to top of page. of anything.

This is an annoying thing with the stock browser. Best thing to do if you mainly browse GAF is use m.neogaf.com instead (mobile version). You can set it to Dark theme in options so you get more battery life browsing, and add to that there's always a small arrow at the bottom of every page that shoots you back up to the top.

-- I miss: Lock screen notifications on iOS are simple and I still can't figure out how to get something acceptable to me on this phone. I want a notification on my lock screen that I got a message from John and he says Whats Up, and an email from Joe that says hey. Swiping across or touchign either of those will take me to their respective apps/message.

You can download certain lock screen notification apps, but unfortunately you need to get passed the lock screen in order to get to notifications. The idea being that some random person could still access or see your texts, emails otherwise. Pattern unlock is pretty quick, then you can just slide down the notification tab and read messages etc there. Tap one to open the app and read it immediately. If you hold your finger on a notification (i.e. email) and with the other finger slide up or down, you can choose how much of the message is viewable in notification mode.

-- Google Now = wow. I woke up today and I had 3 "cards" waiting for me. Today's weather, A concert nearby, and the TRACKING INFO FOR A PACKAGE I'M WAITING FOR. How the hell did it know that was important to me? (It obviously knew via an email I received from the company a few days ago, but the face that it shows me it is ridiculous.)

Yea, it's pretty damn clever.

-- I miss: Apple's display fluidity. When a web page or something fully loaded you could flick that thing up and down like a madman and you wouldn't get a hiccup. There is still some studder involved with these pages. Especially a gaf page.

Stock browser does this. Just a different way of pre-loading so you get faster general browsing. I believe Dolphin and a few of the other browsers have the full pre-load system that iOS incorporates. Personally I stick with the stock browser as I find it the quickest and easiest to use.

-- My girlfriend is having a tough time getting used to the new OS. Some things seem overly complicated. Or maybe we just don't know how to get to them.

There's definitely a lot more options and features. Just takes a bit of time to get through. Maybe hit YouTube. Tonnes of useful features a lot of people don't even realise exist.

-- I'm used to just going to the main Settings app to change everything. Now, I need to find where to edit something's settings.

I have my notifications slide down menu set up so all my most important settings are arranged across the top. That way I can quickly turn things on and off in an instant. There's also a settings button top right in the notifications slide down bar, as well as a brightness slider. Just hit the settings icon here to jump straight in to the settings app, much quicker and easier than having to get to the settings icon and click it. There's a lot of settings in the settings menu, but once you play around with it, you'll get used to the arrangement.

-- Google Play store is fast, quick, and all the apps I've downloaded so far have been great quality

-- I'm having trouble getting used to the textin. The space bar is in a little different location and the auto-correct isn't doing as good a job as Apple's. I haven't forced myself to use Swype yet.

SwiftKey is far superior to iOS's texting, just give it a bit of time. It has more dynamic learning, and will learn how you type with more depth (including caps, punctuation etc). Change the theme if you want (I use the blue Holo theme) and have Flow disabled. Double tap shift for caps constantly on, and remember you can hold a key for just a second or more if you want the secondary character it has instead (e.g. A held down is also @), this saves you from hardly ever leaving the main keyboard for other characters etc.

-- Launching apps from Lockscreen is great.

And mainly, the reason I got the phone (coming from an iPhone 5)
*** The screen size/clarity changes your entire experience of what you think you can do on your phone. ***
- Open up Instagram - Holy shit those pics are gorgeous
- Facebook, I can see so much
- Twitter, So much info, so clear.
- Videos, Trailers, YouTube. Jaw dropping.

Hesemonni

Banned
Happy S2 user chiming in. I was just browsing at the mail and saw an ad by an operator for S4: ~700 euro bucks?! Seriously guise?

Hasney

Got mine today, the last one in the store I pre-ordered in (they had 11 phones for 45 pre-orders). We'll see how unlimited Three's data really is including tethering.

Yeah, the screen is just amazing. I can't even look at my iPhone 4S's screen right now without thinking it looks a little weird.

EDIT: Sweet, didn't see you could alredy root this bad boy. Good times.

.GqueB.

Banned
I've been waiting forrreeevvveerrr for this to pop-up on Verizon and it finally has. I want to pre-order but my friend is saying to wait because you can find better deals at places like Radioshack and Best Buy. Is this even kind of true? I have purchased a phone in forever.

I've been waiting forrreeevvveerrr for this to pop-up on Verizon and it finally has. I want to pre-order but my friend is saying to wait because you can find better deals at places like Radioshack and Best Buy. Is this even kind of true? I have purchased a phone in forever.

Radioshack was running an awesome deal for the HTC One. I dont know if they will for S4. I feel like we would have heard about it by now.

.GqueB.

Banned
Radioshack was running an awesome deal for the HTC One. I dont know if they will for S4. I feel like we would have heard about it by now.

Oh rrreeeaaallllyyy. He also mentioned that Bestbuy has a superior warranty plan? I know Verizon has this $5 a month thing going on right now.

Purexed

Banned
Thanks for the impressions Victory Red. I'm also a recent convert from the iOS platform and it's good reading about the issues with the S4. Sticking with the One for now but I'll be monitoring this thread and your continued thoughts.

Phandroid Galaxy S4 vs iPhone 5

Verdict
Head-to-head, it’s pretty clear that the Samsung Galaxy S4 outdoes the iPhone 5 in the majority of our categories. But in the few categories that the iPhone did win, it was an obvious and decisive victory. Here’s the breakdown:

Design & Build Quality: iPhone 5
Display: Samsung Galaxy S4
Software: Toss-up
Multimedia: iPhone 5
Camera: Samsung Galaxy S4
Storage: Samsung Galaxy S4
Battery Life: Samsung Galaxy S4

Is there a good recorded video comparison between the S4 and the HTC around anywhere?

Some of the stuff I've read said the HTC can appear slightly saturated in bright outdoor stuff but has better sound recording overall.

Top Bottom