• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Does anyone use screen protectors like InvisibleShield? Also, what are good armbands for running?

If you're going to use a screen protector I would t use that brand. They're just over priced. I even saw an S3 invisible shield that claimed it made the screen break proof too. I kid you not it had a picture on the back of someone taking a hammer to the screen claiming it would stop the screen from breaking. They've gone mad.

If you're going to use a screen protector I would t use that brand. They're just over priced. I even saw an S3 invisible shield that claimed it made the screen break proof too. I kid you not it had a picture on the back of someone taking a hammer to the screen claiming it would stop the screen from breaking. They've gone mad.

I just ordered an S3 so this is good to know, lol

Having trouble deciding if I want an actual case or a front and back screen protector.

OUT FOR DELIVERY

image.php

Epic Drop

This is the case I'll be getting.

I've had an Elago Case on my iPhone5 for months and its one of the best cases I've ever had. Hopefully it'll be available for order when the phone hits stores in a few days.

G7SM_Banner.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation. I had never heard of Elago before, but their cases look great.

longdi

Banned
I remember some russian site that tested the S4 and mentioned the screen colors are very accurate...well i played with one in "photograph" and "movie" mode and imo it is still not a iphone5 screen killer...Samsung whites still dont look white. However, S4 Pentile matrix is much improved over S3 but i think the bolder fonts also helps. It is still not as razor sharp as iphone5 or htc one.

I would say S4 screen quality is a lot like Note2.

Schlep

It's basically the old cover with a hole in it and a guess some kind of magnet to put the phone on standby. Feels exactly the same though. Not sure it justifies and extra $20.
Despite the price, I was set on getting one of these. Then I realized two things which are holding me back: 1) often times I'll unlock my phone for a second to see the weather or want to pull down notifications, and more importantly 2) can't see the notification light when closed.

Phone came with SIM in it, on phone with AT&T now activating it.

Boxing was very nice. First impressions:

*I'm coming from iPhone 5. Have always had iPhones

- Backplate was off when unboxed. Eww its flimsy. Put battery in, backplate.
- New ball game. Phone feels great. Not nearly as "cheap" as I thought it'd feel.
- Subtle texture on front white face is dope. can't always see it, but can sometimes.
- Screen obv huge and gorgeous to me

Messi

Phone came with SIM in it, on phone with AT&T now activating it.

Boxing was very nice. First impressions:

*I'm coming from iPhone 5. Have always had iPhones

- Backplate was off when unboxed. Eww its flimsy. Put battery in, backplate.
- New ball game. Phone feels great. Not nearly as "cheap" as I thought it'd feel.
- Subtle texture on front white face is dope. can't always see it, but can sometimes.
- Screen obv huge and gorgeous to me

This is all very helpful to me as I have only had iPhones up to the 4 and am getting a white s4

- When i gave lady on phone new sim number we got disconnected shortly after. But new phone doesn't have service yet
- No other phones in house
- Screen is bananas clear. Set to "standard" display settings

Messi

- When i gave lady on phone new sim number we got disconnected shortly after. But new phone doesn't have service yet
- No other phones in house
- Screen is bananas clear. Set to "standard" display settings

A big jump in screen size/quality from the iPhone to this?

-The back is not flimsy at all. It could be a half in thick for all I know, there is no give anywhere on the back of the phone to indicate that the backpiece is flimsy.
- The back has, again, very subtle print on it and cannot be seen all the time. It's a smooth plastic

What else do you wanna see. I'll go outside and take some pics now.

Messi said:
A big jump in screen size/quality from the iPhone to this?

I'm no screen expert, just a casual user. The numbers can do the talking. But this screen feels so nice and big to me, not too big at all. And just as clear as my iPhone 5.

Slightest twinge of regret for going with the Note 2 about a month ago, but that always happens with electronics. Still super happy with it, but the S4 would probably have been a little better for me. Never really use the stylus on the Note 2 and it's ALMOST too big for one of my jackets and one pair of pants I have, haha.

I'd still rather have too big than too small. I bought the iPhone 5 after having a 4.5-ish inch android phone and I could not handle how small it was. After 2 weeks I was still messing up typing and even just menu buttons. Plus the battery sucked.

S4 looks like a sexy, awesome phone though. Mmm.

Nemesis_

Less than 24 hours now until I can go grab mine

fweoufwneufhncewgbsfncwuiecbhnweiuhfwouehfncuweohn

Still wondering if I should go white or black though :(

Pics.

Clear Day.

My Provari (e-cig)
xeSPare.jpg

Parking lot and street
1gYHDLH.jpg

ty4KalA.jpg

F3OODuz.jpg

Previous angle with 100% ZOOM
7WN0TW0.jpg

Closeup
v1hO5B6.jpg

Bathroom that was PITCH BLACK
UOFMLT6.jpg

Cat with flash in decently lit room - Camera adds 10lbs
ecRQAw4.jpg

Cat no flash
IdkNGQf.jpg

The shutter takes a mili-second to snap. Def not instantaneously

Slightest twinge of regret for going with the Note 2 about a month ago, but that always happens with electronics. Still super happy with it, but the S4 would probably have been a little better for me. Never really use the stylus on the Note 2 and it's ALMOST too big for one of my jackets and one pair of pants I have, haha.

I'd still rather have too big than too small. I bought the iPhone 5 after having a 4.5-ish inch android phone and I could not handle how small it was. After 2 weeks I was still messing up typing and even just menu buttons. Plus the battery sucked.

S4 looks like a sexy, awesome phone though. Mmm.

'almost' too big? this only means that you can go tighter!!!

What else do you wanna see. I'll go outside and take some pics now.

I'm no screen expert, just a casual user. The numbers can do the talking. But this screen feels so nice and big to me, not too big at all. And just as clear as my iPhone 5.

Pics.

Clear Day.

The shutter takes a mili-second to snap. Def not instantaneously

nice!

(fat pussy joke here)

Well the AT&T stores around my area keep saying the same thing. They have no idea when the 32gb model will show up. Could be months. They're only getting 16gb models at the moment. So I guess I'll get one of those and get a 64gb SD card. It'll almost be the same price anyway. I should be able to get one on Saturday. I hope.

Alright, a couple hours in.

Got my contacts sorted out and downloaded my most popular apps and organized them where I'd like.

- This phone is FAST. Significantly quicker than the iPhone5.
- Copy and paste is awesome and easy to use.
- LOVE the menu button on the bottom left
- LOVE the back button
- Instagram should not exist without this size screen. Gorgeous seeing the photos at this size.

- Turned Haptic Feedback off immediately. Was giving a "cheap" vibrate feeling on the back pad.
- The screen on the phone when you're in a call is meh. Having huge buttons for the sake of filling up the screen is dumb.

Is there a text/messaging app superior to the stock one? Group texts?

How about a substitute for FaceTime?

Alright, a couple hours in.

Got my contacts sorted out and downloaded my most popular apps and organized them where I'd like.

- This phone is FAST. Significantly quicker than the iPhone5.
- Copy and paste is awesome and easy to use.
- LOVE the menu button on the bottom left
- LOVE the back button
- Instagram should not exist without this size screen. Gorgeous seeing the photos at this size.

- Turned Haptic Feedback off immediately. Was giving a "cheap" vibrate feeling on the back pad.
- The screen on the phone when you're in a call is meh. Having huge buttons for the sake of filling up the screen is dumb.

Is there a text/messaging app superior to the stock one? Group texts?

How about a substitute for FaceTime?

most people will say GO SMS or Handcent for messaging.

video chat? Tango, Skype, fring.

Thanks for the impressions, Victory Red. The decision to get this one is moving inexorably towards YES. I'm hoping preorders on Verizon won't be too insane and I can get it without delay once I'm eligible for a discount in a couple of weeks.

Volotaire

Coming from an S3, is it worth upgrading to this or the HTC one?

Well what do you want? Give us some idea. But in my mind upgrading from a phone within 1 year is a little crazy unless there is some sort of promotion that let's you swap it for a minor fee or for free.

Darklord

Banned
I dunno if I want this or an iphone 5. I really need a new phone, my S2 is pretty screwed up now.

Is the camera flash as awful as the S2's? It's blindingly powerful.

Top Bottom