• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Talon

I know the iphone is all the rage and all but isn't it weird to compare this new phone to something that's a year old? It'd be like people comparing the HTC One to the Galaxy S3 before it was announced. Was that a widespread practice? Seems odd to me.
This always happens, and, yes, it's silly.

adelante

After spending almost all of yesterday fiddling around with stuff I'm really enjoying the phone but still feel like I haven't even cracked the surface of what I can do with it.

There are some iOS things that I miss, but I knew that going in.
-- I miss: Tap status bar to go to top of page. of anything.

Yup, going from several iPhones to a Galaxy Note 2 made me realized how much I relied on that functionality, especially when it comes to surfing long pages. You can imagine how freakin happy I was when I discovered Habit Browser, which has two features that are most important to me, on top of it being a pretty damn snappy browser: a radial quick menu and the ability to customize that menu with SCROLL TO TOP/BOTTOM buttons like so (up and down arrows):

UsWCRQp.png

I know the iphone is all the rage and all but isn't it weird to compare this new phone to something that's a year old? It'd be like people comparing the HTC One to the Galaxy S3 before it was announced. Was that a widespread practice? Seems odd to me.

They are comparing it to what is currently on the market. The next iphone isn't expected to launch for another five months so as a consumer comparison I feel that it is fair.

Brofist

I don't see the weirdness. They are direct competitors despite the iPhone being out for a while. For most people getting a new phone outside of contact isn't an option, so you have to compare the phones that people would most likely be comparing if they walked in to a store today to buy a new phone.

FYI, my Jailbroken iPhone 5 16GB is on eBay now and ending in 3 hours and the bidding is at $560!!

Galaxy S4 is $640 off contract. You do the math.

Join me :)

Cipherr

The iPhone 5 is not a year old. And yes it is standard practice. When the iPhone 5 came out months after the HTC OneX and Galaxy S3, people did tons of comparisons.

And this fall some 6 or so months from now when the iPhone 5S and the new Nokia WP8 phone comes out, they will compare them to the HTC One and the Galaxy S4, even though they will be newer. There is roughly a six month swing between major flagships, so there's no other option really.

The iPhone 5 came out in April 2012?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yup, going from several iPhones to a Galaxy Note 2 made me realized how much I relied on that functionality, especially when it comes to surfing long pages. You can imagine how freakin happy I was when I discovered Habit Browser, which has two features that are most important to me, on top of it being a pretty damn snappy browser: a radial quick menu and the ability to customize that menu with SCROLL TO TOP/BOTTOM buttons like so (up and down arrows):
Boat browser and dolphin browser both have scroll to top and scroll to bottom icons which popup when you start a long scroll.

.GqueB.

Banned
The iPhone 5 came out in April 2012?

Way to be super literal on that one. You know what I mean. By tech standards that phone is old as hell. The comparison is odd to me because so many phones have come out since then and it's rather obvious it's going to be a better phone overall given where it's coming from. I mean I get it (it's an iphone) it's still pretty silly to me.

Way to be super literal on that one. You know what I mean. By tech standards that phone is old as hell. The comparison is odd to me because so many phones have come out since then and it's rather obvious it's going to be a better phone overall given where it's coming from. I mean I get it (it's an iphone) it's still pretty silly to me.

Well if you want to talk about difference in tech, then differentiating between 6 months and a year should be a big deal too. Are you suggesting that the iPhone and top of the line Android phones never be compared because their product launch cycles don't line up?

.GqueB.

Banned
Well if you want to talk about difference in tech, then differentiating between 6 months and a year should be a big deal too. Are you suggesting that the iPhone and top of the line Android phones never be compared because their product launch cycles don't line up?

I honestly don't even care about this conversation anymore, Lol.

I don't see the weirdness. They are direct competitors despite the iPhone being out for a while. For most people getting a new phone outside of contact isn't an option, so you have to compare the phones that people would most likely be comparing if they walked in to a store today to buy a new phone.

Makes sense.

TxdoHawk

So I guess the "Will ship by 5/30" on the S4 preorder page Verizon has up pretty much confirms that rumored launch date. At least it will give me time to cough up $649 so I can buy off-contract and keep my unlimited 4G...sigh

Edit: While I'm posting, can early adopters tell me about their battery life? I'm on my phone constantly while at work, and the concept most of these reviews have of a "power user" is usually laughable at best.

Hasney

Anyone know how to increase the volume beyond it's maximum? I've got a pair of JayBird SB2's and the sound quality using APT-X is incredible compared to the iPhone, but it's very quiet to me. The only little niggle I've got left I think.

TxdoHawk

Anyone know how to increase the volume beyond it's maximum? I've got a pair of JayBird SB2's and the sound quality using APT-X is incredible compared to the iPhone, but it's very quiet to me. The only little niggle I've got left I think.

I haven't messed with any in a long time but there are apps that will do this, last I looked at this Volume+ was the popular one.

There's free/paid versions, I'd grab the free one first because apparently it's hit or miss which devices it works on.

Hasney

I haven't messed with any in a long time but there are apps that will do this, last I looked at this Volume+ was the popular one.

There's free/paid versions, I'd grab the free one first because apparently it's hit or miss which devices it works on.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Friend recommended something called Voodoo something or other, but in the shop entry, it was talking about getting compatibility with the S3 soon. Kinda thought that wouldn't work with the S4.

that was 7 months ago. people compare popular products.

aaaannnddd the ebay daily deal is ... $700 - Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 16GB Factory Unlocked Phone International Version

also...

iFixit Samsung Galaxy S4 Teardown: Samsung Galaxy S4 Reparability Score: 8 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)

there's a smart pause video on the first page that is a MUST SEE!!!

plus:

The placement of the two IR sensors on either side of the earpiece speaker explains how Samsung's new Air View/Air Gesture feature operates. By comparing IR light reflected from your hand into each of the sensors, the phone can track sideways motion as you gesture without touching the screen.

Nemesis_

Ordered myself an S4.

Moving on from my S3, it is only going to cost me $15AU a month rather than $5AU a month.

Pretty stoked that I got such a good upgrade deal, shows it's who you know that counts :p

Galaxy S4 vs Galaxy S4

edit: Samsung Galaxy S 4 Incompatible with Original TecTiles, TecTile 2 Announced

When I saw the presence of BCM2079x, I remembered that this reader doesn’t read MIFARE tags, which the NXP solution does, since it is an NXP tag format. Instead Broadcom only reads tags which adhere to the standard NFC Forum tag types. Ordinarily this isn’t much of a problem, as long as users are aware of the limitation and to stay away from MIFARE classic tags on an incompatible reader. What’s interesting here is that Samsung’s TecTiles were themselves originally MIFARE Classic 1k tags, which makes them not compatible with the new SGS4. I then confirmed that the SGS4 does in fact not read my existing TecTiles which I’ve setup around the house.

I reached out to Samsung, who issued a statement about TecTile compatibility on the SGS4 by announcing TecTile 2, which ostensibly carries a different tag inside compatible with the SGS4.

"Samsung is introducing TecTile 2, an update to the original TecTile NFC programmable tags, which will be available in the coming weeks. TecTile 2 will use the current NFC technology on the market, allowing Samsung customers to further incorporate NFC into their daily lives and to use with the latest Samsung Mobile products and services, including the Galaxy S 4. As industry standards continue to evolve, Samsung remains committed to meeting those standards and adapting its technologies if necessary. Samsung customers can also fully utilize TecTiles 2 with existing Samsung Mobile NFC-enabled Android smartphones currently in market."

Volotaire

What's the point of these new Gorilla Glass iterations if they are just the same in terms of breakage >_>

I think it's more to do with the protection against scratches than drops. I mean it's kind of going to be impossible to not break (until those plastic flexible OLED screens- hopefully Note 3!) to prevent this.

in other news, the GS4 works with the GS3/GN2 MHL cable, and it doesn't need external power to work. it will also work (and maybe charge, depending on usage and power supply) with external power connected.

I think it's more to do with the protection against scratches than drops. I mean it's kind of going to be impossible to not break (until those plastic flexible OLED screens- hopefully Note 3!) to prevent this.

this.

if they wanted the front to just not break easily, they would make it out of plastic :p

but then it would get scratched to shit waaaaaaaaaay faster

Nemesis_

Will the GS3 charger still work with the GS4? I hear there is some kind of "quick charge" feature - is this specific to the charger or the phone?

(I have the official GS3 docking station, and wondering if I need to hold on to it or go ahead and sell it on)

Mercurial

in other news, the GS4 works with the GS3/GN2 MHL cable, and it doesn't need external power to work. it will also work (and maybe charge, depending on usage and power supply) with external power connected.

this.

if they wanted the front to just not break easily, they would make it out of plastic :p

but then it would get scratched to shit waaaaaaaaaay faster
Like the Nexus S. O wait. It looked beautiful, even after years of dancing with keys in pockets and being dropped behind beds.

Will the GS3 charger still work with the GS4? I hear there is some kind of "quick charge" feature - is this specific to the charger or the phone?

(I have the official GS3 docking station, and wondering if I need to hold on to it or go ahead and sell it on)

the phone and adapter both have to support the faster charging. in fact, the GS3 supports quicker charging than the adapter that comes packaged with it. a GS3 will charge faster with the GN2 adapter. no idea on the docking station...

Like the Nexus S. O wait. It looked beautiful, even after years of dancing with keys in pockets and being dropped behind beds.

the Nexus S was still glass, just not Gorilla Glass iirc.

Madness

What's the point of these new Gorilla Glass iterations if they are just the same in terms of breakage >_>

You have to remember, glass is a weak material and tons of things scratch it.

The good thing about gorilla glass 3, is it is resistant to a lot of scratch damage. So in case you accidentally put it in your pocket with keys or coins, it won't get scratched as easily.

People should still get a screen protector from day one, even a small amount of sand or dust, can cause micro-scratches.

I'm surprised the front shattered so easily though, it was found that the screen is by far the hardest thing to replace or fix on this phone, and requires advanced repairing skills.

Nemesis_

You have to remember, glass is a weak material and tons of things scratch it.

The good thing about gorilla glass 3, is it is resistant to a lot of scratch damage. So in case you accidentally put it in your pocket with keys or coins, it won't get scratched as easily.

People should still get a screen protector from day one, even a small amount of sand or dust, can cause micro-scratches.

I'm surprised the front shattered so easily though, it was found that the screen is by far the hardest thing to replace or fix on this phone, and requires advanced repairing skills.

Ahh right. That's addressing most of my concerns, really. I mean I am not one to drop my phone very often. I've had my S3 for about 11 months and dropped it twice like the dude dropped the S4, but the S3 didn't shatter.

I suppose all kinds of variables contribute to the probability of getting a shatter - but thankfully I was lucky both times.

I always get a screen protector. I'm going to look into the S4 accessories and see if I need anything too - my "hook-up" can get me a discounted amount on those too.

Also, I went with Black. A few major reasons for me - I think that it will go better with any accessories I pick, my S3 was a white (and I bought it on a whim when Blue wasn't in stock) and I want something unique to the S4 (here, the S3 didn't come in black).

So yeah, hopefully I made the right choice :(

Bit worried about the screen being hard to replace - but knowing this will make sure I'm extra careful :p

Nemesis_

It's available in Australia, but stock is limited. Some carriers are only offering it through their warehouses directly (ie. online order or phone order) while others have a very very small amount in-stores yet no stock available online until May 1st.

Saw a thread on Reddit about the differences between gorilla glass 2 and 3 and it ended up being about a 3% better difference. It's all marketing. Gorilla glass is all talk mostly.

Top Bottom