• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Everdred

I have the Samsung Focus WP7.8 currently. Owned it for about 2.5 years now. I bet I've dropped it over 100 times (tarmac, cement, hard wood floors), no screen cracks at all and only one very minor scratch. Is it just the scree size? I imagine the 5 inch screen is way easier to break than a 4 inch one. The Focus has been the single best phone I've ever owned.

Ripclawe

Banned
The tmobile stores around here in Fort Lauderdale are clueless, two I called had no idea when its coming in. WTF? I really want this without contract because I have the walmart 30 bucks a month plan

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Fuckin' Bell, man.
Preorder pick-up date: April 27th.
No communication re: there being any stock issues and yet here I am (the first one to have preordered at this location) and they received no stock at all. *sigh*
And they don't know when they'll have stock or how much stock they'll get.

First world entitlement, etc. but come on.

I enjoy her reviews because she actually goes into detail and provides good explanation compared to other reviewers that often miss stuff and don't elaborate on their complaints.

Yup, Lisa is the best.

When my mom got her Note 2 a few months ago, the first thing I sent her was a link to Lisa's review. She's still a bit confused by all the features, but it definitely helped her get a better grasp on the device's capabilities.

Mook1e

The more I see the more I like.
I just got my warranty replacement Note 2 and I'm glad to know I'll have a perfect device to sell to get the Note 3. If Samsung makes similar advances from 2 to 3 as they did from S3 to S4, it's going to be something special.

Am I the only one who remembers all of the complaints that Samsung received about the S3 not looking more like the S2 and now the S4 does look more like the S2 (and Note 2 with the more rectangular shape) and people are complaining still?
Damned if you do and damned if you don't, I guess.

Schlep

I'm sure I'm going to take shit for this from any lurkers, but yesterday at Best Buy I looked at both the HTC One and the S4, and the S4 looked nicer and felt better in the hand than the One did. It felt like the One had a lot of wasted space on the front that could have been occupied by screen, and the HTC branding looks out of place.

Before too much shit rains down, I was looking to see if I would rather go with the One than wait on T-Mobile to get the S4.

I'm sure I'm going to take shit for this from any lurkers, but yesterday at Best Buy I looked at both the HTC One and the S4, and the S4 looked nicer and felt better in the hand than the One did. It felt like the One had a lot of wasted space on the front that could have been occupied by screen, and the HTC branding looks out of place.

Before too much shit rains down, I was looking to see if I would rather go with the One than wait on T-Mobile to get the S4.

I've held the One a well, I love the color of the silver and the material. But I do not like the way the body is shaped. Especially coming from iPhones, the curved back is not asthetically pleasing to me at all. My main grip with iPhone5 was that it was "taller" when it should be a little wider. I get the same vibe when I look at the One also.

Well take from that what you will, knowing that I purchased an S4. And very happy with my decision. I could easily return this and get the One. But I'm staying put.

*Edit. Oh, and I downloaded and installed Dolphin Browser and yayy for fluidity. When the page loads it fully loads and I can fly up and down it as quick as I want. Thats what I was missing from iOS and its here now.

Hey Victory, is there any way to change the TouchWiz "theme?" Like, my Optimus L9 lets me choose between a few different looking launchers and app icons. Is that possible on the S4 as well, or would I need to get a different launcher?

Wasted space? What isn't screen is either the dual front speakers or the tiny black surround which is about the same as the S4.

Hey Victory, is there any way to change the TouchWiz "theme?" Like, my Optimus L9 lets me choose between a few different looking launchers and app icons. Is that possible on the S4 as well, or would I need to get a different launcher?

The only thing I've seen is that there is a Standard Mode and an Easy Mode for the operationg system.

Menelaus

Banned
Preordered a white 16gb on Verizon, my corporate rep told me it should be shipping by May 17th. Take with many grains of salt, as the order confirmation said the 30th.

Preordered a white 16gb on Verizon, my corporate rep told me it should be shipping by May 17th. Take with many grains of salt, as the order confirmation said the 30th.

At&T moved the date up after the pre-order. Originally wasn't coming until 4/29.

Keep hope alive.

RoKKeR

I've held the One a well, I love the color of the silver and the material. But I do not like the way the body is shaped. Especially coming from iPhones, the curved back is not asthetically pleasing to me at all. My main grip with iPhone5 was that it was "taller" when it should be a little wider. I get the same vibe when I look at the One also.

Well take from that what you will, knowing that I purchased an S4. And very happy with my decision. I could easily return this and get the One. But I'm staying put.

This is interesting, because it shows how subjective making a decision betweens these two phones is. For me, the One's curved back and aluminum design are huge pluses, and I prefer 'tall' as opposed to wide. I also really dislike the plastic used on the S4 and almost all Android devices, and obviously it's fairly wide too so I decided to go with the One. (among other reasons)

I went into Best Buy as well and held them both and the One was the clear standout, but again that comes down to personal preference.

I do appreciate how much screen real estate the S4 has, I love how it just fills up the phone. They did a great job designing it.

Schlep

Wasted space? What isn't screen is either the dual front speakers or the tiny black surround which is about the same as the S4.
There's a bit more bezel around the outer edges on the One, and while I do appreciate the functionality of the front facing speakers, it does take up a significant portion of the front face. The phones have almost the exact same dimensions, but the S4 has a 5" screen vs. the One with a 4.7" screen. I appreciate the bigger screen.

reKon

Banned
Got a chance to play with an S4 for an extended time today. Samsung had a launch thing at the at&t on Michigan ave in Chicago. I was about to hit on the Samsung promotion chick, Lol. Also some of those at&t sales associates were gorgeous.

Anyways, I was shocked on how nice the phone felt in my hand. It's easier to hold than my naked galaxy nexus and I don't think that I'd drop it easily at all without the case. The screen looked great and setting it to the movie type of screen made it look similar to HTC One colors. Both screens are great and you can't go wrong with either. Just because this phone isn't made of metal doesn't mean that it's shit at all in how it feels. It just felt really good to hold and wad very slim. Additionally the big screen gets all your attention so you kind of forget about the rest of the phone since you know, this is where you're actually doing everything. When using it was fast, smooth, and it had no lag.

Compared to the HTC one, naked, this definitely felt better to hold IMO. Some review mentioned how it was the most comfortable 5 inch phone to hold and I'm starting to think they're right.

On top of that, I'd plan on getting a few nice minimalist cases. All you're left with is the big beautiful display on a phone that's a good size and easy to hold for its size.

.GqueB.

Banned
Finally held one of these today. Sucks though because it was one of best buys shitty demo units. Fucking crap.

Anyways. Not sure where all the love for the ONE is coming from. It felt too long I guess? I don't know. It felt weird in my hand. It's a nice looking phone but it's just a little off for me. The s4 was sexy looking and felt really nice. I'd like to play with it first but I'm pretty sure Samsung will have my monies.

Menelaus

Banned
Not sure what to make of this review on the Verizon website...

HN6eOsR.png

Fuckin' Bell, man.
Preorder pick-up date: April 27th.
No communication re: there being any stock issues and yet here I am (the first one to have preordered at this location) and they received no stock at all. *sigh*
And they don't know when they'll have stock or how much stock they'll get.

First world entitlement, etc. but come on.

Exact same thing happening at all providers. Happened with the s3 as well. Blame the damn Yankees.

Well I've never had a smartphone before but been loving this since getting it, one thing though : Is there really no way of having wallpaper pics on some rotation and not be stuck with the same static one? Seems like such a basic feature.

Negator

Picked up my S4 today. Holy shit, what a HUGE difference!

Getting used to the interface has been difficult. There's bars on bars and so much stuff aaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Trying to find ways to optimize battery use.

Picked up my S4 today. Holy shit, what a HUGE difference!

Getting used to the interface has been difficult. There's bars on bars and so much stuff aaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Trying to find ways to optimize battery use.

This is what I do to keep my battery going all day on my phone.

-Disable sync data
-Disable WiFi when not in use
-Keep wallpapers dark
-NeoGAF dark theme
-Slightly dim display

Most people know to do this already though.

demonkaze

What kind of prices am I looking at for buying this phone pay as you go or sim free in the uk? I wanted to pick one up but my contract isnt up until next august. I'm on O2 at the moment if that helps at all.

Groof

With my dad at the market where he's picking up one of these. Looking forward to stealing it from him to play with it for a bit.

Marco1

After cancelling my upgrade because I was told I wasn't getting one, I have just received a tracking number telling me it will arrive tomorrow!
Problem is I bought an iphone 5 yesterday which is on its second time going back to the store, first had broken power button and the second has a broken SIM card slot and dust under the screen.
My dilemma now is is which one do I keep? I think the screen of the GS4 will push me over.
Why doesn't iOS allow Swype!!!!

Nemesis_

Mine will probably ship tomorrow.

Still wondering if I made the right decision with black. I am so bad with colours, it took me about an hour to decide which colour 3DS I wanted. >_>

kharma45

What kind of prices am I looking at for buying this phone pay as you go or sim free in the uk? I wanted to pick one up but my contract isnt up until next august. I'm on O2 at the moment if that helps at all.

Stupid prices.

SIM Free it's £580, can't find any PAYG yet. Smartfonestore will be selling them from this price when they get stock for a grade C

7belhDs.png

demonkaze

Stupid prices.

SIM Free it's £580, can't find any PAYG yet. Smartfonestore will be selling them from this price when they get stock for a grade C

7belhDs.png

Guess ill wait it out a bit, could sell my S3 towards it but it's still gonna be a lot more to put down on it.

Mine will probably ship tomorrow.

Still wondering if I made the right decision with black. I am so bad with colours, it took me about an hour to decide which colour 3DS I wanted. >_>

I called CS and had them override my upgrade so I can buy 1. Ordered black. Called back and had them change it to white. Went into best buy yesterday and saw the black. It's nice. plus you can really see that pattern on it. I should have stuck with black

Mine will probably ship tomorrow also. I ordered Friday.

Groof

First impressions: screen looks damn good, sharp and clean. Oversaturated colours are a big minus, though. The plastic feels real bad and it's one slippery motherfucker. Will try to play with it some more once my dad gets bored of it.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Got mine this morning. This is a huge upgrade from the original Galaxy S. I'd say the black version is more silver than anything - the back isn't even close to black (unless mine wasn't coloured properly).

reKon

Banned
WTF. I want to slap the shit out of these companies that aren't having a 32 gig version ready at launch. If I don't hear anything soon, I'm going to just get the One. Good riddance, I was pissed enough that Google was stupid with not having a 32 gig option for the Nexus. The amount of available storage that's actually coming with this is making it more infuriating.

Marco1

Saw one this morning in carphone warehouse and I'll admit I had to do a double take between the S3 and S4 but the screen makes it all worth it. I can only imagine watching video on it but how bad is kies?

Nemesis_

I called CS and had them override my upgrade so I can buy 1. Ordered black. Called back and had them change it to white. Went into best buy yesterday and saw the black. It's nice. plus you can really see that pattern on it. I should have stuck with black

Mine will probably ship tomorrow also. I ordered Friday.

I wasn't really super fond of the Pebble Blue, but I am annoyed that the S4 appears to be Blue even though it's called Black.

Would you agree, having SEEN one?

jaydogg691

WTF. I want to slap the shit out of these companies that aren't having a 32 gig version ready at launch. If I don't hear anything soon, I'm going to just get the One. Good riddance, I was pissed enough that Google was stupid with not having a 32 gig option for the Nexus. The amount of available storage that's actually coming with this is making it more infuriating.
This.

I was at AT&T yesterday really wanting to bite on this phone, but not having the 32GB model on hand was holding me back. I know that the phone has expandable memory, but for only $50 extra I would rather have it double the storage on borad.

reKon

Banned
I wasn't really super fond of the Pebble Blue, but I am annoyed that the S4 appears to be Blue even though it's called Black.

It's black. The back looks a little less black though because of the pattern. It didn't seem blue to me.

No it's black. Depending on how the light catches the design it kind of has a silver gun metal look to it but you can tell its black.

I wish I had of stuck with black now. Either way you cannot go wrong both look great. Though after seeing them to me imho black has a more premium look to it

Top Bottom