• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Hasney

I'm surprised at how light the thing is. Amazing just amazing and i haven't even turned it on yet.

Yeah, I can't feel the weight of it in my pocket at all like I could with the iPhone 4S. Little worried I won't notice it fall out of my pocket when I'm out and a little inebriated.

Bearthgar

Banned
- Selfies are near impossible. I was a master with my iPhone at extending my arm out and hitting the flash button to get me and my friends in the shot. Everything on this phone is a screen, and whatever isn't a screen has buttons. There isn't anywhere to hold as I extend my arm out one-handed. This is a big bummer for me.

I just got the phone Saturday and I though t it was awkward at first, but using the voice commands really improved the picture taking

Nemesis_

If you are clever (like myself), you can customize any button to insta take a picture. You'd have to root your phone though.

I was about to suggest there be an app that allowed this, without rooting.

Another camera app would not be as good as the S4 stock app, right? Most of the magic of the S4's camera is a combination of the hardware and the software powering it?

Also I wonder why nobody has incorporated a basic flash in the front facing camera on smartphones, is it just unviable?

Are there any background tasks being killed after a certain amount of time of inactivity or do I have to kill everything myself?

Also, what apps (if any) will perform background tasks? If I start to download an app and leave the Play Store will it continue downloading? If I'm sending a text and its taking a while to upload the pictures, can I leave the text app?

Hasney

You can leave the Play store while it's downloading for sure. You'll get a notification when it's installed even. Not sure on the text thing, I've not uploaded anything large enough.

MarkusRJR

Since my dad is offering the help pay for some of this phone (buying outright), I'm left with a few questions before I pick it up:

1. Is that cool game controller they showed before release being sold yet and do games actually support it?
2. Can purchases be made through Google Play using a prepaid credit card? I keep asking this but no one has an answer. I don't have a credit card and there are no Google Play gift cards where I live, so I'd be left out in the cold in regards to purchasing apps if I can't use a prepaid credit card.
3. There is a bunch of talk about stuttering and lag due to touchwiz. Is this a legitimate problem?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Weenerz

Banned
Since my dad is offering the help pay for some of this phone (buying outright), I'm left with a few questions before I pick it up:

1. Is that cool game controller they showed before release being sold yet and do games actually support it?
2. Can purchases be made through Google Play using a prepaid credit card? I keep asking this but no one has an answer. I don't have a credit card and there are no Google Play gift cards where I live, so I'd be left out in the cold in regards to purchasing apps if I can't use a prepaid credit card.
3. There is a bunch of talk about stuttering and lag due to touchwiz. Is this a legitimate problem?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

From the reviews I have read, the stuttering is due to using the eye/motion gestures instead of normal touch.

Are there any background tasks being killed after a certain amount of time of inactivity or do I have to kill everything myself?

Also, what apps (if any) will perform background tasks? If I start to download an app and leave the Play Store will it continue downloading? If I'm sending a text and its taking a while to upload the pictures, can I leave the text app?

you can leave the messaging app.

I have the S3, is this really worth upgrading for? I'm not interested in the eye tracking stuff, seems like a battery draining gimmick at the moment.

Sort of related: I have an SII that has had an annoying problem since I bought it new: when I play music, the phone eventually randomly reboots-- not from the opening Samsung logo, but from the lock screen. Music stops, connection loses and reconnects, media server rescans, SD card does the same. It's so frustrating. Tips? I'm so pissed with the phone.

I want to upgrade to S4 for this, but figure I may as well consider the iPhone because how shitty this issue is.

.GqueB.

Banned
I have the S3, is this really worth upgrading for? I'm not interested in the eye tracking stuff, seems like a battery draining gimmick at the moment.

It's a sexier phone. Don't know if that matters to you. But yea I wouldn't upgrade. Though I'm frugal as hell and will only upgrade my phone every two years on sched.

wait for the S5.

Sort of related: I have an SII that has had an annoying problem since I bought it new: when I play music, the phone eventually randomly reboots-- not from the opening Samsung logo, but from the lock screen. Music stops, connection loses and reconnects, media server rescans, SD card does the same. It's so frustrating. Tips? I'm so pissed with the phone.

I want to upgrade to S4 for this, but figure I may as well consider the iPhone because how shitty this issue is.

get the S4.

Menelaus

Banned
If the S4 doesn't display Pandora/Music metadata on my Honda's media screen, I'm going to be pissed. I couldn't believe the S3 couldn't pull that off.

vctor182

does it happen with all music players? what ROM do you have?

I'm a S2 user with stock 4.1.2, I use Poweramp as my player, no issues here.

I was on S2 user until today...just got an S4. Still busy moving stuff from S2 to S4.

I was using the stock music player on S2 and I never had the phone randomly reboot while using the music player. I was on version 2.3.3.

vctor182

I was on S2 user until today...just got an S4. Still busy moving stuff from S2 to S4.

I was using the stock music player on S2 and I never had the phone randomly reboot while using the music player. I was on version 2.3.3.

how are you moving your stuff to the S4? Might get one this week

BFIB

The screen is gorgeous. That's worth it to me, but if that doesn't matter to you, then I would say to hold off.

Nemesis_

MINE STILL HASN'T SHIPPED

I'M GETTING DESPERaTE

iOQo09VfsQsYS.gif

Though my carrier insists it will arrive before the end of the week.

What application are you using for music playback?

The default one. I believe it happens to any other app I use for playback too.

Strangely, it stopped crashing for a while, like a few months, then it happened again. Last 3 weeks it has been consistent, like every 3 songs or so. Dont believe it's a memory issue... not sure why it happens

does it happen with all music players? what ROM do you have?

I'm a S2 user with stock 4.1.2, I use Poweramp as my player, no issues here.

...ROM?

The Faceless Master said:
Do the reboots only happen during audio playback? And with multiple different audio players? Could be a hardware issue.

yessir, just audio playback.

My gf had a bunch of pics on her phone that I wanted and we used the Group Play apps to instantly transfer them to mine.

Is that NFC?

I thought you had to bump the phones next to eachother. If not, what app would we use to NFC things back and forth?

rc213

Pulled the trigger on a Black Mist as well as moving to T-Mobile Family Plan. With 3 other family members I will end up paying $5 more a month than the Walmart plan for Unlimited Talk/TXT + 2.5GB Data.

Free Overnight Shipping but expected delivery date is 5/03

My gf had a bunch of pics on her phone that I wanted and we used the Group Play apps to instantly transfer them to mine.

Is that NFC?

I thought you had to bump the phones next to eachother. If not, what app would we use to NFC things back and forth?
You just go to the pics in the gallery then bump the backs of the phones together and then tap the screen. Also, check the settings to determine whether S-Beam is enabled.

You just go to the pics in the gallery then bump the backs of the phones together and then tap the screen. Also, check the settings to determine whether S-Beam is enabled.

K thanks.

As to my question last page, will all apps stay open if i dont' manually close them or will some get closed by the system if i don't use them in a while?

TxdoHawk

Oh, all sorts of stuff. That the black finish looks more "premium", that the white doesn't show the back etching as much (which some people don't like apparently), that the black looks better with the faux-metal trim...this is all personal opinion stuff though. I've heard enough people compliment both colors that I don't think you can really go wrong.

Why is Verizon getting their version so late? The website claims preorders won't ship until 5/30. Any chance stores have them in stock much sooner? My cracked to hell razr is annoying the hell out of me.

TxdoHawk

Why is Verizon getting their version so late? The website claims preorders won't ship until 5/30. Any chance stores have them in stock much sooner? My cracked to hell razr is annoying the hell out of me.

I've heard rumors that orders might ship earlier, but I'm not holding my breath. Big Red does nothing quickly. I feel your pain, though. This Galaxy Nexus I'm on has been driving me nuts as of late.

I've heard rumors that orders might ship earlier, but I'm not holding my breath. Big Red does nothing quickly. I feel your pain, though. This Galaxy Nexus I'm on has been driving me nuts as of late.

Well I'll keep my eye out I guess. I was tempted to just go with the cheaper S3, but with the S4 being so close I'm going to have to try and hold out. It's going to be a long month.

Top Bottom