• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

it's $100 for 500MB of 4G data per line and unlimited edge data, $180 for unlimited 4G on 4 lines.

that too.

That's not what the guy on the phone told me. He said $100 for unlimited everything. Maybe he was mistaken.

Edit: never mind, you're right. Not a big deal; I don't have much a use for unlimited 4G so this is a great deal.

Marco1

Received my black S4 after selling my ip5 and the first thing that hits you is the screen.
Watching HD youtube videos is something else, loving swiftkey too.

G7SM_Banner.jpg

Okay, I received this case today and the packaging says its the "G5 for Galaxy S3"

But it fits this phone perfectly. Are these phones the same exact size?

.GqueB.

Banned
Received my black S4 after selling my ip5 and the first thing that hits you is the screen.
Watching HD youtube videos is something else, loving swiftkey too.

Swiftkey for life. I really don't understand swypers. I can't wrap my head around that newfangled nonsense.

TxdoHawk

Finally played with a demo unit. I hate how these things are tethered up like Fort Knox, ugh. I also wish the default Android keyboard was an option, probably because I'm just so used to it. But other than that, I'm digging it. Time to go hit up Big Red and drop $$$ on a full-price preorder so I can keep my unlimited 4G...sigh.

Weenerz

Banned
Best case to get? Not really looking for drop absorption, mostly just something thin enough to not suck ass but decent enough to not scratch the back of it.

Schlep

Asking this in both the One and S4 threads since I'm debating between the two, but was wondering how anyone's experience has been on Sprint, specifically in the DFW area?
Also agreed with don't do it. I've never had many issues with voice calls, but their data network is horrid. I'm in north Fort Worth and regardless of where I've been around DFW, their 3G network is basically useless. Speed tests would often result in something like .08 mbps down. Not even enough to effectively stream Pandora, Slacker, Spotify, etc.

They got their LTE up and running. The coverage is spotty, at best, and the speeds are usually slower than most other carriers 3G speeds. I'd say average is 2-3mbps down. Once in a while you'll find a tower that gives you double digits, but it's not the norm.

All the carriers have their issues, but Sprint is an absolute train wreck in DFW.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I'm going to get a new case sometime this week, but the S View case is actually pretty great. Mind you, I got it for free with my US Cellular pre-order, but it's pretty great to be able to access my phone's functions just by flipping the case open (at least since I haven't put a lockscreen on yet). The actual top view itself I can tell already is great for a quick slide out of the pocket.

Now that I'm done working for the day, I can finally test out some of the new features (and ditch Touchwiz).

Schlep

So...earlier T-Mobile showed an expected delivery date of 5/3 on my order status page, and now it shows shipped with a tracking number (that UPS doesn't know yet). Not sure if this actually means tomorrow or the next day, but thought I'd post the update for anyone else who ordered and had the status show "Being Processed" all day today.

Any tips for me guys?

I am on Sprint, for like 12 fucking years. Under a family plan with my mom and dad. I am 28 btw, we just always kept it like that lol.

I want the galaxy 4 , but they said I have to pay $600 .... to get it for $150 I have to wait like 264 days or something insane , for my contract to "renew" and be eligible for the $150 price.

Is there anyway I can get this phone w/o paying $600? So not worth that, I could get another GTX 680 and run in SLI for that kind of bread.

I think I might trade my S3 in at a Best Buy or something and use that credit towards a S4 and pay it outright. According to BB, I should be getting like $240 for it so if the retail price is $650 I'd be getting it for $410.

But thats all an estimate. Depending on what phone you have currently that might be an option for you.

Just got my S4 last night. First thing I noticed is the screen...WOW, it's fucking AMAZING. DAT SCREEN!

I don't even want to put a screen protector on it...else it'll just dull the screen!

Makes sense since it only uses one quad core at a time and 1.9 ghz > 1.6 ghz used in the international. He said it's rare to never that the US version lags.

nah, more like the rush job showing more signs.

in benchmarks, the 1.6 Ghz Exynos Octa bests the 1.9 Ghz Snapdragon 600 in just about everything.

we all know Samsung rushed this out the door after seeing the One getting good publicity.

TxdoHawk

I find it interesting that he specifically mentions the octo-core model having more lagginess compared to the US models. I wonder why? Perhaps Samsung aggressively shuts off cores in an attempt to preserve battery life? That's what I always assumed was the point of these kinds of multi-core setups.

Edit: Either way, I bet this is something that will be patched software-side.

Groof

nah, more like the rush job showing more signs.

in benchmarks, the 1.6 Ghz Exynos Octa bests the 1.9 Ghz Snapdragon 600 in just about everything.

we all know Samsung rushed this out the door after seeing the One getting good publicity.

It's probably a bit of both. Not to mention that they probably wanted to be first out with 4.2.2 onboard as well.

buhdeh

Has this been posted?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/100275307499530023476/posts/b4AqTzzVKVS

Steve Kondik9:52 PM (edited) - Public
The AT&T Galaxy S4 has a locked bootloader

Yep, it's confirmed. The AT&T S4 authenticates the recovery and boot images before executing them.

I can't see what AT&T has to possibly gain from this. GSM and LTE aren't magical, tethering is controllable on the server side, and theft-of-services is not possible from the application processor side (or even from the modem side as far as I know). The same device is available on every carrier, so it's not an exclusivity issue either. The modem processor has always been locked, and the casual user doesn't want to mess with that part anyway. Samsung has always been developer-friendly, so I am guessing their hand was forced.

The only outcome I see here is stacks of bricked devices being sent back for warranty replacement due to the ease of causing a permanent boot failure, especially since the device is trivially rootable.

The arms race continues. News flash: MILLIONS of people run custom firmware (and I have the STATS to prove it). This is just a stupid move that will cost you customers and money.

I would not recommend buying this device on AT&T if you want to run CyanogenMod or another custom ROM, or if you are a developer and need to work with or debug the lower layers.

JayDub

Posted this on the HTC One thread:

So, as I said, my wife got the Note 2 and I got the HTC One. Having spent some time with both..I've decided to return my HTC and get the S4.

I really prefer TouchWiz over Sense. I prefer the aesthetics of Sense over TouchWiz (ditto regarding the body). When I played with the S4 today, I found the "gimmicky" features extremely useful.

The air wave to answer calls is an effin game changer, and the fact that I can lay down without the phone changing orientation (or me having to turn off screen rotation) was awesome. I loved that I could turn near damn everything off with the pull down menu. The S4 is SO smooth. Performance in general was better than the HTC (I noticed), but the HTC has some additions that really improves the touch experience (slight "bounce back" and first Android phone to not be a complete mess performance wise).

To be able to point my finger at the screen without touching it..is amazing. It really is. With the Note, you have to take the pen out and everything..on the S4, I just point my finger at something to preview it. Works great with sites that have Flash or require the input to hover.

I always thought that iOS was intuitive, but man, I get things done quick on Android. Turning wifi/bluetooth on at a whim is great, customizing home screens (or not, because I like to actually have an empty home screen so I can see the wallpaper), call my favs from home screen..its all good.

Im not a fan of the "sudden stop" at the end of the page thing. I hope someone incorporates a bounce back, but the "Android lag" is not on the S4 (or HTC One).

I also prefer the S4's camera. The HTC One's has too much noise, lacks detail, and I realize I dont like taking pictures at night anyways. Surprisingly, the S4's "night mode" took some better, clearer low light pics than the One.

Anyways, my thoughts are all over the place. I guess I'll be heading over to the S4 thread from now on.

Both good phones, the HTC in particular is pure sex hardware wise, but the S4 looks (and feels) great as well. Its a phone without compromise, for me.

MarkusRJR

I keep hearing all this talk about lag on Android Central and XDA. Samsung really shouldn't be having this problem with such great hardware. I can't even imagine how bad their software must be to have lag with these specs.

TxdoHawk

So, has anybody with an S4 confirmed SwiftKey works? As in the download, not the tech that is supposedly built into the Samsung keyboard. I ponied up the $4 to try it since I am so used to stock, and other than some habits I need to relearn due to a slightly different layout, I'm digging it.

That kind of stuff can be fixed with a firmware update though anyway, right?

They can just patch the optimizations in when they push out the Android 4.3 update two weeks from now, right after Google I/O! (hahaha...aha..sigh.)

I keep hearing all this talk about lag on Android Central and XDA. Samsung really shouldn't be having this problem with such great hardware. I can't even imagine how bad their software must be to have lag with these specs.

The thing is it's true that it does lag. Go try it yourself, it does lag here and there. The lag is actually not that bad, but if you think about it there's really no excuse for a flagship with a powerful hardware to lag. The S3 or the note 2 doesn't lag.

Coming from iOS, I wouldn't call what the S4 does "lag" it just will stutter from time to time. Nothing substantial, not like you are waiting for something to load. It will just stutter for a millisecond.

Overall, iOS just has a more consistantly fluid interface. Most of the time the S4 is seamless, but sometimes it will stutter.

Not a game-changer. But it is noticeable.

Weenerz

Banned
Does a locked bootloader have anything to do with root? I thought this thing was rooted already? Will we be able to remove the AT&T software?

Does a locked bootloader have anything to do with root? I thought this thing was rooted already? Will we be able to remove the AT&T software?

you can disable the AT&T bloatware with Titanium backup, but not too sure if you can completely remove them, depend on the partition.

flashing rom is one of the reason android is so fun.

rc213

Galaxy S4 screen = Damn.gif

My god this thing is slim ass hell and light. So comfortable in my hand more so than the Nexus 4.

Not seeing a way to put my Google bookmarks in the stock browser. Have to get used to the menu and back button switching again.

nib95

Banned
The thing is it's true that it does lag. Go try it yourself, it does lag here and there. The lag is actually not that bad, but if you think about it there's really no excuse for a flagship with a powerful hardware to lag. The S3 or the note 2 doesn't lag.

All phones, and I do mean all phones, lag, some very little, some hardly ever, but all still lag from time to time. Including the iPhone, S3 (I own both) and the Note II (check my posts in the Note II thread, I owned one for a week). And yes, there most certainly is an excuse, and that depends on how much the phone can or IS doing at any one given time. If be shocked if iOS wasn't overall smoother (the difference is insignificant) seeing as how the OS is far less comprehensive and is also pushing considerably less pixels too.

nib95

Banned
Posted this on the HTC One thread:

So, as I said, my wife got the Note 2 and I got the HTC One. Having spent some time with both..I've decided to return my HTC and get the S4.

I really prefer TouchWiz over Sense. I prefer the aesthetics of Sense over TouchWiz (ditto regarding the body). When I played with the S4 today, I found the "gimmicky" features extremely useful.

The air wave to answer calls is an effin game changer, and the fact that I can lay down without the phone changing orientation (or me having to turn off screen rotation) was awesome. I loved that I could turn near damn everything off with the pull down menu. The S4 is SO smooth. Performance in general was better than the HTC (I noticed), but the HTC has some additions that really improves the touch experience (slight "bounce back" and first Android phone to not be a complete mess performance wise).

To be able to point my finger at the screen without touching it..is amazing. It really is. With the Note, you have to take the pen out and everything..on the S4, I just point my finger at something to preview it. Works great with sites that have Flash or require the input to hover.

I always thought that iOS was intuitive, but man, I get things done quick on Android. Turning wifi/bluetooth on at a whim is great, customizing home screens (or not, because I like to actually have an empty home screen so I can see the wallpaper), call my favs from home screen..its all good.

Im not a fan of the "sudden stop" at the end of the page thing. I hope someone incorporates a bounce back, but the "Android lag" is not on the S4 (or HTC One).

I also prefer the S4's camera. The HTC One's has too much noise, lacks detail, and I realize I dont like taking pictures at night anyways. Surprisingly, the S4's "night mode" took some better, clearer low light pics than the One.

Anyways, my thoughts are all over the place. I guess I'll be heading over to the S4 thread from now on.

Both good phones, the HTC in particular is pure sex hardware wise, but the S4 looks (and feels) great as well. Its a phone without compromise, for me.

Nice write up dude. Appreciate the post.

All the iOS lag is between button presses, never while scrolling. I'm not sure which I find more annoying.

I get tons of scroll lag in the app store (top charts, etc.) on iPad 3.

Also, I just got this phone to replace my lumia 920. So nice to have google maps/navigation back, and the phone feels like a feather in comparison.

Top Bottom