• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Menelaus

Banned
I've heard rumors that orders might ship earlier, but I'm not holding my breath. Big Red does nothing quickly. I feel your pain, though. This Galaxy Nexus I'm on has been driving me nuts as of late.

Where are you hearing these rumors out of curiosity? I haven't heard anything besides my rep dropping the 17th as the ship date.

IJoel

What's the deal with the 32 and 64GB versions? Very disappointing that they're currently not available (even if the phone supports up to a 64GB SD card).

.GqueB.

Banned
What's the deal with the 32 and 64GB versions? Very disappointing that they're currently not available (even if the phone supports up to a 64GB SD card).

They aren't available at all? I was looking on the verizon site and was wondering why there wasn't an option for larger sizes.

IJoel

They aren't available at all? I was looking on the verizon site and was wondering why there wasn't an option for larger sizes.

Only version being sold is the 16GB at the moment. No official news about the other versions (that I know of anyway).

VoxPop

I always feel weird putting things on the expanded card. I like having the option but I always feel like I'm neglecting my precious apps by making them stand outside on the lawn or something. It's weird I know.

What do you usually store on the expanded space just out of curiosity?

I don't use SD cards, I find them rather pointless with all my stuff being on the cloud and streaming all my music via spotify. Never needed it on my iPhones, and currently my HTC One. Never used it on my old S3 either. I'm sure there are people who love carrying everything they own on their cards though.

reKon

Banned
I don't use SD cards, I find them rather pointless with all my stuff being on the cloud and streaming all my music via spotify. Never needed it on my iPhones, and currently my HTC One. Never used it on my old S3 either. I'm sure there are people who love carrying everything they own on their cards though.

I don't even need SD cards really. The reasoning for my need for storage is because of the large apps that I have. Real Racing, NFS MW, Modern Combat 4, Shadowgun MP, and lots of other games and apps take up space. I typically end of having 2-3 gigs of music cached from Google Music. I also have all my photos stored on my phone, but space wouldn't be an issue because everything is set to automatically upload to dropbox. Therefore, 32 minimum is a must, especially if Samsung/Carriers extras are going to take up 7-8 gigs.

VoxPop

I don't even need SD cards really. The reasoning for my need for storage is because of the large apps that I have. Real Racing, NFS MW, Modern Combat 4, Shadowgun MP, and lots of other games and apps take up space. I typically end of having 2-3 gigs of music cached from Google Music. I also have all my photos stored on my phone, but space wouldn't be an issue because everything is set to automatically upload to dropbox. Therefore, 32 minimum is a must, especially if Samsung/Carriers extras are going to take up 7-8 gigs.

At least they give you free 50GB dropbox space to go along with all that S-Bloatware.

reKon

Banned
At least they give you free 50GB dropbox space to go along with all that S-Bloatware.

It doesn't matter. Whatever phone I get MUST have 32 internal minimum no matter what for the reason I just explained. That's the primary reason I didn't decide to buy the Nexus 4.

So you're basically limited to 16gb worth of apps. And apps aren't getting any smaller, particularly games.

I had over 130 apps on my 16GB iPhone 5 adn never came close to 9GB of apps.

I had maybe 3 games that were over 200MB, everything else is less than 50MB

Real Racing 3 is over 700MB. And I had a Navigon app back in the day that was 1.1GB

Menelaus

Banned
They release 16gb unit first in US, people waver and still bite on it. 6 months later, they release the 32 and 64gb units, and those same people sell their 16 and buy the larger one.

They just sold you two phones. This is why they do it.

TxdoHawk

Where are you hearing these rumors out of curiosity? I haven't heard anything besides my rep dropping the 17th as the ship date.

I can't find the exact article now, but I read something somewhere about how past launches have sometimes shipped early or something like that. It sounded less like rumors and more like wishful thinking, to be very honest. I hope your dude is right, though.

Edit: Hit up my local Best Buy, they must've had half a dozen SIII's for demo but the S4 was shoved in the corner, unlabeled, and seemingly had no power going to it (although they had the security stuff all plugged in and powered, go figure.)

There's another BB on the way home, going to try that one after work.

I had over 130 apps on my 16GB iPhone 5 adn never came close to 9GB of apps.

I had maybe 3 games that were over 200MB, everything else is less than 50MB

Real Racing 3 is over 700MB. And I had a Navigon app back in the day that was 1.1GB

Buy some nature field guide apps. I have several apps that are over 1GB a piece and quite a few that are over 500MB a piece as well.

:(

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
With bandwidth caps this is far from feasible for a lot of people.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It doesn't matter. Whatever phone I get MUST have 32 internal minimum no matter what for the reason I just explained. That's the primary reason I didn't decide to buy the Nexus 4.

This is also why I haven't pulled the trigger on the N4 to replace my aging N1 as a backup phone. I loved most everything about the N1 outside of storage, it felt claustrophobic even with an SD slot because I couldn't offload everything to it. With the size of apps and games, its tough to justify 16gb, much less 8.

32gb is a minimum for apps imo. I really wish Google had pushed more in the direction of apps on SD, I was excited about SD on windows phones until I realized it doesn't allow apps on SD either.

Riggs

Banned
Any tips for me guys?

I am on Sprint, for like 12 fucking years. Under a family plan with my mom and dad. I am 28 btw, we just always kept it like that lol.

I want the galaxy 4 , but they said I have to pay $600 .... to get it for $150 I have to wait like 264 days or something insane , for my contract to "renew" and be eligible for the $150 price.

Is there anyway I can get this phone w/o paying $600? So not worth that, I could get another GTX 680 and run in SLI for that kind of bread.

Menelaus

Banned
You could maybe pay an ETF on your line and get your own account, paying $200 for the phone. But basically you just typed out how a contract works, and it's the reason these companies are making money hand over fist.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If you have to wait that long, it means you or someone in your plan used up your upgrade last year. If it was you, sell whatever device you bought and subsidize the S4. I know on at&t you can get early upgrades if you pay your bill on time, not sure about Sprint.

Any tips for me guys?

I am on Sprint, for like 12 fucking years. Under a family plan with my mom and dad. I am 28 btw, we just always kept it like that lol.

I want the galaxy 4 , but they said I have to pay $600 .... to get it for $150 I have to wait like 264 days or something insane , for my contract to "renew" and be eligible for the $150 price.

Is there anyway I can get this phone w/o paying $600? So not worth that, I could get another GTX 680 and run in SLI for that kind of bread.

you may be able to get a CS rep to push up your upgrade by paying an early upgrade fee.

264 days before your upgrade should put you at the $175 tier. and then the GS4 is $250 for upgrades. still, $425 is less than $600!

T-Mobile said they can do four devices, unlimited data and everything, for $100 a month via family plan.

Is this normal? Because that sounds outrageously cheap compared to the $170 we pay now.

Asking this in both the One and S4 threads since I'm debating between the two, but was wondering how anyone's experience has been on Sprint, specifically in the DFW area?

Menelaus

Banned
Asking this in both the One and S4 threads since I'm debating between the two, but was wondering how anyone's experience has been on Sprint, specifically in the DFW area?

Wife has sprint, we've lived in Dallas proper, Garland, and Addison. Her service sucks DICK. I'd never recommend anyone get Sprint here. Half the time I call her, our calls won't even connect. I've never had these issues calling fellow Verizon or ATT phones. She's has the Galaxy and GS3, so it's not the phones.

In general, you can't beat Verizon's coverage and speed here.

Riggs

Banned
You could maybe pay an ETF on your line and get your own account, paying $200 for the phone. But basically you just typed out how a contract works, and it's the reason these companies are making money hand over fist.

Ya =(

Maybe I will look at getting my own account, see how much the monthly is VS what we have now.

If you have to wait that long, it means you or someone in your plan used up your upgrade last year. If it was you, sell whatever device you bought and subsidize the S4. I know on at&t you can get early upgrades if you pay your bill on time, not sure about Sprint.

I would sell my current phone, unfortunately it's an HTC Design which is worth about $5.35 most likely. I will try thanks.

you may be able to get a CS rep to push up your upgrade by paying an early upgrade fee.

264 days before your upgrade should put you at the $175 tier. and then the GS4 is $250 for upgrades. still, $425 is less than $600!

Ya I could see myself doing $425 .... still a lot , I mean I can afford the $600 but jesus christ. It just seems so messed up, we have been with sprint for 12 years!!! These companies suck.

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm kinda enjoying Dropbox at the moment. Is that for anyone who purchases the S4 and is that with all carriers?

I at least got the 50gb with mine too, without having any carrier. But I noticed it saying it expires in a year, so by that time I will probably be so dependent on dropbox that I will buy a pro account on there.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
T-Mobile said they can do four devices, unlimited data and everything, for $100 a month via family plan.

Is this normal? Because that sounds outrageously cheap compared to the $170 we pay now.
Isn't that without phone subsidies which they charge separate plus the initial charge for the phone?

it's $100 for 500MB of 4G data per line and unlimited edge data, $180 for unlimited 4G on 4 lines.

Isn't that without phone subsidies which they charge separate plus the initial charge for the phone?

that too.

Top Bottom