• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

VoxPop

I get tons of scroll lag in the app store (top charts, etc.) on iPad 3.

Also, I just got this phone to replace my lumia 920. So nice to have google maps/navigation back, and the phone feels like a feather in comparison.

That's cause the CPU in the iPad 3 wasn't enough power for the 9.7" retina display. Fixed in the iPad 4. Same with the MBPr.

TxdoHawk

and if you have to ask about Verizon, let me remind you that the Verizon Galaxy S III and Verizon Galaxy Note II were the only models of those handsets with locked bootloaders.

wqHoFDZ.jpg

Ya =(

Maybe I will look at getting my own account, see how much the monthly is VS what we have now.

I would sell my current phone, unfortunately it's an HTC Design which is worth about $5.35 most likely. I will try thanks.

Ya I could see myself doing $425 .... still a lot , I mean I can afford the $600 but jesus christ. It just seems so messed up, we have been with sprint for 12 years!!! These companies suck.

Thanks a lot guys.

If another family member used your upgrade, you can use theirs.

Asking this in both the One and S4 threads since I'm debating between the two, but was wondering how anyone's experience has been on Sprint, specifically in the DFW area?

Let me know your address (nearest major cross streets) and Ill let you know what the status of the tower upgrades are in your area.

Nemesis_

Jesus christ, the S4 looks so fucking nice.

Even though it's not metal, the faux metal finish combined with the black front is just....it looks so premo. I'm so surprised - it's such a dramatic step up from the S3 in terms of design.

But it makes me wonder why they won't just go metal. >_>

fuenf

Should I go with the black or white S4? So far I've heard that black S4 looks more premium but collects fingerprints like crazy? What's the plastic like? Will it scratch as easily as the first Ipods / plastic Macbooks? I don't plan on using a case on the phone.

Nemesis_

Should I go with the black or white S4? So far I've heard that black S4 looks more premium but collects fingerprints like crazy? What's the plastic like? Will it scratch as easily as the first Ipods / plastic Macbooks? I don't plan on using a case on the phone.

I've been playing with it for about six hours now, and no fingerprints on the back it seems. They appear on the device but they slowly fade away.

I do work in a medical setting so my hands are ALWAYS clean though, so maybe I am a bit of a wrong person to ask.

But I do love the black - it's surpassed my expectations and the photos (both real and promotional ones) don't really do a good job at illustrating it.

The back is a little bit odd though - it's black from the side, but sometimes I feel like it's blue and front on it sometimes resembles silver with the pattern.

It will grow on me, I guess. >_>

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Even though it's not metal, the faux metal finish combined with the black front is just....it looks so premo. I'm so surprised - it's such a dramatic step up from the S3 in terms of design.

This is sarcasm, right?

fuenf

I've been playing with it for about six hours now, and no fingerprints on the back it seems. They appear on the device but they slowly fade away.

I do work in a medical setting so my hands are ALWAYS clean though, so maybe I am a bit of a wrong person to ask.

But I do love the black - it's surpassed my expectations and the photos (both real and promotional ones) don't really do a good job at illustrating it.

The back is a little bit odd though - it's black from the side, but sometimes I feel like it's blue and front on it sometimes resembles silver with the pattern.

It will grow on me, I guess. >_>

thanks

Nemesis_

The back panel is very, very polarising. I can see some people absolutely hating it and some people loving it.

I do recommend finding a dummy unit somewhere prior to purchase. I went black blind for several reason (namely it's the only colour the S3 isn't available in and thus is a good way to differentiate from my S3 and the fact I originally wanted an S3 in dark colour) but I am still intrigued to see what white looks like.

I have a feeling white would look more "toy" ish.

I am quite shocked at how convicing the faux metals are on the edges and on the outlines. The pronounced edges of the phone itself on the bezel are also much more pronounced than the S3 giving it a crazy (good) feel.

So weird how light it is though, even with a battery! I was scared they shipped me a dummy model.

The back panel is very, very polarising. I can see some people absolutely hating it and some people loving it.

I do recommend finding a dummy unit somewhere prior to purchase. I went black blind for several reason (namely it's the only colour the S3 isn't available in and thus is a good way to differentiate from my S3 and the fact I originally wanted an S3 in dark colour) but I am still intrigued to see what white looks like.

I am quite shocked at how convicing the faux metals are on the edges and on the outlines. The pronounced edges of the phone itself on the bezel are also much more pronounced than the S3 giving it a crazy (good) feel.

So weird how light it is though, even with a battery! I was scared they shipped me a dummy model.

they make a black GS3 now.

fuenf

I'm coming from the S2, my existing contract expires at the end of May and I've to find something new soon. :( Unfortunately none of the current phones really do anything for me, all I can see when looking at the S4 or the One are the features they are lacking in comparison. I kinda want the S4, but I'm really worried about the glossy plastic and possible scratches. Scratches werent an issue with the S2 but my Ipod / Macbook looked like shit back in the day.

TxdoHawk

It's always interesting to see people complain about heft on phones. Something like the iPhone 4S, that just feels like a good hunk of machined metal, that's attractive to me. I like the feel in the hand...will be interesting to see what the Galaxy line turns into if the rumors of a switch to metal casings come true.

Nemesis_

It's always interesting to see people complain about heft on phones. Something like the iPhone 4S, that just feels like a good hunk of machined metal, that's attractive to me. I like the feel in the hand...will be interesting to see what the Galaxy line turns into if the rumors of a switch to metal casings come true.

Weight of a phone doesn't really phase me either way, tbh. I am just surprised at how light the S4 is.

TxdoHawk

I kinda want the S4, but I'm really worried about the glossy plastic and possible scratches. Scratches werent an issue with the S2 but my Ipod / Macbook looked like shit back in the day.

For what it's worth, one of the few nice things I can say about the Galaxy Nexus is that the plastic bits have held up well...well, except for the battery door, which is like shades upon shades darker now, hah.

I think this is just one of those things you have to bite the bullet on and hope for the best in a modern smartphone world. Nobody really knows how any given phone will hold up until it is out in the wild awhile, and even metal construction doesn't assure flawless durability (the chamfered edges of the iPhone 5 are a good example).

Nemesis_

I feel the same. It's a damn fine phone and I wasn't all that convinced until I held it. I like the look and feel overall.

Thank you. I was quietly reluctant when I was looking at photos but I am glad I took the dive in the end. It really is crazy how much of a disparity there is between photographs and real-life.

Nemesis_

Any previous S3 users...is it worth the upgrade? I would have to shell out 400 for it if I wanted to get this phone since i got the s3 in december

I see myself using the Camera a lot, and the extra features are great and despite appearing gimmicky at first I love the versatility I now have with my phone.

The camera is pretty fantastic, and the screen has to be seen to be believed. I never thought anyone could top the retina display - but now I have been proven wrong.

It also runs silky smooth, I was multitasking a lot this afternoon and nothing was slowing at all for me (This is not the octa-core model)

I have to wait for 06-03-2013, basically a month to get this at a human price...

At&t here. Has anyone successfully been able to convince At&t to waive/move back the date?

Nemesis_

.....so I've locked myself out of S Health. For some reason none of the PINs I entered are working.

Am I fucked? :I Without a reformat?

I initially wanted to go black, but it was too dull for me. I went with white instead. However, in the end, it doesn't really make much of a difference when you put a casing over it. I went with side-flip cover for my S4. Looks and feels awesome.

With the 13mp camera, I'm snapping pics like crazy.

JKTrix

I'm going to lunch...and I might just come back to the office with one of these.

I had an S3 that killed itself in February, so the whole S3 feeling was stifled for me.

Weenerz

Banned
I have to wait for 06-03-2013, basically a month to get this at a human price...

At&t here. Has anyone successfully been able to convince At&t to waive/move back the date?

My renew is up May 8th, so I was thinking of trying too. Not that far away but I am impatient.

Kintaco

Nope. It's off right now and sitting next to me. It looks really good.

Although it looks a little bit too much like an iPhone4 >_>

I think the bolded is why VanMardigan thinks its sarcasm, I think the general consensus is that the S4 is much too similar to the S3 in design. And then comparing it looking like an iPhone 4 seems a bit odd as well, as there is really no resemblence.

Nemesis_

I think the bolded is why VanMardigan thinks its sarcasm, I think the general consensus is that the S4 is much too similar to the S3 in design. And then comparing it looking like an iPhone 4 seems a bit odd as well, as there is really no resemblence.

I just feel like, well, I don't know how to explain it.

The S3 is quite obviously plastic. Well, my white one was.

The black S4 looks like metal. That was my point.

The silver bumpers (even though they aren't metal) remind me of the iPhone 4 bumpers.

That's my reasoning. :/

Any previous S3 users...is it worth the upgrade? I would have to shell out 400 for it if I wanted to get this phone since i got the s3 in december

I'd say no. Unless you really need the processing power and 13 mp camera. The S3 is a damn fine machine by itself already.

I upgraded cause I went from S2 to S4.

otapnam

OK back from the store got my phone ordered a week earlier than my upgrade date. haha the SKU on the receipt read "Samsung 1337 WHT 16"

you should go talk to a rep @ the store Audie, see what they can do for you

How can I check if my S4 is unlocked and can be rooted?
Thanks.
well, for starters, those are two separate things.

root exploit for snapdragon 600 GS4 models.

is your GS4 an AT&T model? locked bootloader.

not an AT&T model? unlocked bootloader.

you can root the AT&T version, but with the locked bootloader, you won't want to mess around with the system partition and brick your device without a way to boot to a custom recovery.

Nemesis_

try clearing the data for the app.

Oh, that worked perfectly. Thanks!

Also, the S Health start-up screen is so beautiful on the display. I am really impressed with the screen and really happy I held out a little bit longer (I was originally going to get an Xperia Z)

I'm really glad the screenshotting is much better on the S4. The S3 did an okay job but it was not as crisp as you saw it on screen.

The "animation" for doing a screenshot is also better - it doesn't slow down the system when you do it.

So many subtle improvements that I'm noticing.

I just ordered mine from T-Mobile. It says the expected delivery date is May 7th - has anyone else ordered theirs from T-Mobile? How long did it take for you to get your phone?

Really excited - this thread is what helped me cement my decision.

rc213

I just ordered mine from T-Mobile. It says the expected delivery date is May 7th - has anyone else ordered theirs from T-Mobile? How long did it take for you to get your phone?

Really excited - this thread is what helped me cement my decision.

Ordered Monday morning got it yesterday since they give you free Overnight shipping.

Still in :O of the screen, Quite a few other things I have noticed that just feel better.

But no quick controls in the browser? No way to get to my Chrome bookmarks in the stock browser either like in the GS3.

Top Bottom