• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Marco1

As much as I am enjoying this phone, I weirdly miss the size of my iphone5. For me a phone should sit in my pocket without fear of breaking the thing when I bend down or bumo into something. that large screen makes me very nervous.
Great phone but I think I will go back to the iphone5.

As much as I am enjoying this phone, I weirdly miss the size of my iphone5. For me a phone should sit in my pocket without fear of breaking the thing when I bend down or bumo into something. that large screen makes me very nervous.

paranoid

Menelaus

Banned

just face the screen against your leg

Hasney

Does anyone know whose doing the best deal for the in the UK? I wanna call my network and do some haggling

Good luck with that. Tried with o2 and all I wanted was unlimited data and they wouldn't budge off 2gb or even price match. Got the phone with Three for £37 a month with nothing upfront and unlimited data including tethering which is just a sexy deal.

Good luck with that. Tried with o2 and all I wanted was unlimited data and they wouldn't budge off 2gb or even price match. Got the phone with Three for £37 a month with nothing upfront and unlimited data including tethering which is just a sexy deal.

The trick is to ask for the PAC code and end your contract (i'm actually just rolling at the minute because my contract ended last year). Last time, an executive (or whatever lol) called ME the next day and said they didn't want me leaving and offered me a way better deal. Gotta play that hard ball.

I'm on vodaphone at the minute and i'm guessing them advertising "4G Ready" is like them giving you a surfboard in the dessert, right?

I havent noticed a size different in my pocket, just a temperature difference if I put it in my pocket after its been charging or after I've been using it a while.

I was actually going to do a pocket experiment when my apple whore friend tries to rag on me for how big it is. Close your eyes, i'll put my phone in one of your pockets and your phone in the other and walk around a little bit. I bet you can't tell which is in which pocket 5 out of 5 times.

Steve Kondik said:
Definitely not supporting the S4.

jirHap93y4yJz_e.jpg
it's called sarcasm.

reKon

Banned
All I have to say is that Swiftkey is freakin' amazing. I've had the trial for maybe an hour and I'm already sold. So good.

I always thought it was pretty great, but then it pissed me off and I stopped using because of the aggressive auto correct not letting me choose certain words. I came back to it because I actually wasn't lazy and took the time to change the default press spacebar option, which is the first one you can change.

Saw it at best buy today. Feels more solid than the S3. The black color still looks a bit blue. Overall a really ugly phone with cheap feeling materials.

nib95

Banned

In laymans terms what does this actually mean? Since in benches and real world use the Exynos 5 version benches better, runs faster and offers better battery life. I'm quite confused. Are people saying the rushed botched version of the S4 (i9500) is still better than the non rushed version (i9505) or what? Wouldn't that actually make it not so rushed and botched?

The base launcher (TouchWiz?) is adequate if you're a casual user...but it really sucks for me. So many things uncustomizeable! Of course I could install ADW launcher or something on it, but I just wanna wait till Cyanogenmod. Where art thou??

this_guy

In laymans terms what does this actually really mean? Since in benches and real world use the Exynos 5 version benches better, runs faster and offers better battery life. I'm quite confused. Are people saying the rushed botched version of the S4 (i9500) is still better than the non rushed version (i9505) or what? Wouldn't that actually make it not so rushed and botched?

Where are you seeing that Exynos gets batter battery life? It benches slightly better because the Cortex A15 is a beast, but it's also a power hog.

TxdoHawk

Has anybody monkeyed around with the new version of Drive Mode on the S4? Barely any coverage on this, CNET said they were going to take an extended look at it but I haven't seen anything yet, and the one walkthrough of the mode on Youtube I've seen is ridiculously brief.

IJoel

The lack of 32 or 64 GB versions is killing me (my current phone is having a few issues, so I'd like to replace it). :p This would've been a day 1, otherwise, for me.

Nemesis_

Has anybody monkeyed around with the new version of Drive Mode on the S4? Barely any coverage on this, CNET said they were going to take an extended look at it but I haven't seen anything yet, and the one walkthrough of the mode on Youtube I've seen is ridiculously brief.

What is the difference? I never used it on S3 though if I knew what Drive Mode did I might be able to give some impressions. Activating it on the S3 didn't seem to do anything.

The lack of 32 or 64 GB versions is killing me (my current phone is having a few issues, so I'd like to replace it). :p This would've been a day 1, otherwise, for me.

Can't you just throw in a microSD

Gin

im picking up the phone at the end of this week.
really looking forward

are there any decents cases available ?

cajunator

Banned
Phone came in. Going to pick it up tomorrow.
Upgrading from Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, which is still an awesome phone to me. but I like gadgets. Cant wait to play with this crazy phone.

Hasney

The trick is to ask for the PAC code and end your contract (i'm actually just rolling at the minute because my contract ended last year). Last time, an executive (or whatever lol) called ME the next day and said they didn't want me leaving and offered me a way better deal. Gotta play that hard ball.

I'm on vodaphone at the minute and i'm guessing them advertising "4G Ready" is like them giving you a surfboard in the dessert, right?

That's what I did, ended up paying my final bill there and then after 10 years with then and an average sirens of£70 per month over the last 6 years. Oh well, get a better signal in my flat with Three anyway so far. Vodafone clearly are better with the retention thing.

As for 4G ready, I think Vodafone had one of the better deals. They'll get you on 4G if you pay off your existing contract at 70% discount as long as you get a more expensive contract. Unlike O2 and Orange/T-Mobile customers who have to pay out their existing contract at a 50% rate.

I havent noticed a size different in my pocket, just a temperature difference if I put it in my pocket after its been charging or after I've been using it a while.

I was actually going to do a pocket experiment when my apple whore friend tries to rag on me for how big it is. Close your eyes, i'll put my phone in one of your pockets and your phone in the other and walk around a little bit. I bet you can't tell which is in which pocket 5 out of 5 times.

Temperature of mine has been fine... Unless Steam is running. No idea why that makes it so hot.

TxdoHawk

What is the difference? I never used it on S3 though if I knew what Drive Mode did I might be able to give some impressions. Activating it on the S3 didn't seem to do anything.

Activating it pops this screen up:

16_-_s_voice_drive.jpg

From there, you can say "Hi, Galaxy" and activate a small handful of features (music controls, weather, navigation, etc.). It also reads incoming texts to you and lets you dictate a response if you so choose.

Apparently initial impressions peg it as better than the S3 version, but that's about as much as I've gathered.

Macmanus

I received mine today. I'm not horribly impressed with really much any aspect of it. Sorry to ruin the circle jerk. I'm not horribly impressed with any smartphone that exists on the market these days to be honest. Next cycle I think I'm going to buy the dumbest phone possible and the smartest tablet on the market just so I can more easily control when I'm plugged in.

IIRC, there was an app called "App to SD" that I was using on the S2 previously. It lets you move most apps to the SD card.

Wonder if that works for the S4.

Nemesis_

Activating it pops this screen up:

16_-_s_voice_drive.jpg

From there, you can say "Hi, Galaxy" and activate a small handful of features (music controls, weather, navigation, etc.). It also reads incoming texts to you and lets you dictate a response if you so choose.

Apparently initial impressions peg it as better than the S3 version, but that's about as much as I've gathered.

I do wonder how well this works.

I spotify, so I don't really have a use for the music stuff. I will try to somehow incorporate it into my commutes and see how I go. I can't promise much though, I can't see many features I would realistically use.

Does everything look okay here? I feel like I'm getting less-than-stellar battery life. Screen mode is set to "Movie" to soften the colors, and brightness is at about 1/3rd.

That 22hrs is not accurate, I had to charge it for a little this morning. I went to sleep with it at 30%, woke up 8 hours later and it was at 4%. All apps were closed before I went to bed.

Does everything look okay here? I feel like I'm getting less-than-stellar battery life. Screen mode is set to "Movie" to soften the colors, and brightness is at about 1/3rd.

That 22hrs is not accurate, I had to charge it for a little this morning. I went to sleep with it at 30%, woke up 8 hours later and it was at 4%. All apps were closed before I went to bed.
expand the battery stats and show screen on

Top Bottom