• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Hold on a minute, I never said the S4 didn't lag lol. I said ALL phones lag from time to time. It was your claim that the S4 lagged whilst other phones such as the S3 and Note II did not. I merely said this was simply not true, and said this as an owner of both the phone's you claimed were lag'less (admittedly I swapped my Note II for the S3).

Secondly, I've never even made a post about whether the Octo core version was rushed or not. Was it? Is it? What is the reason for you thinking this? Only thing I know is that based on comparison video's and benchmarks, the Octo core version runs smoother, faster, has slightly better battery, but slightly worse graphics performance.

yes all phone lags when you run whole bunch of stuff on it....but the S4 had shutter just going in an out of the app drawers...my S3 never did that...

Doesn't matter what you believe. Numerous sites and even Square Trade that specializes in smartphone insurance have rated the GS4 as less durable than the GSIII. Durability is a number of things. The galaxy s4 is thinner, it has a larger screen, the number one thing that will break in a drop. I've already seen drop tests where the screen shatters. The camera glass is larger and more prone to breakage, etc. It's faux metal band is actually more prone to scratches than the dull paint of the GSIII.

what are some of the numerous sites (other than Square Trade) that say this? i've already said my piece on them...

Volotaire

Hold on a minute, I never said the S4 didn't lag lol. I said ALL phones lag from time to time. It was your claim that the S4 lagged whilst other phones such as the S3 and Note II did not. I merely said this was simply not true, and said this as an owner of both the phone's you claimed were lag'less (admittedly I swapped my Note II for the S3).

Secondly, I've never even made a post about whether the Octo core version was rushed or not. Was it? Is it? What is the reason for you thinking this? Only thing I know is that based on comparison video's and benchmarks, the Octo core version runs smoother, faster, has slightly better battery, but slightly worse graphics performance. P.S, I'm in the UK and the only version being sold is the i9505 (1.9GHZ quad core).

The octa core is also going to be sold here as well. No LTE support with that though. They changed their minds again.

nib95

Banned
yes all phone lags when you run whole bunch of stuff on it....but the S4 had shutter just going in an out of the app drawers...my S3 never did that...

I'm using it right now, and I'll go through the apps on my home page and which stutter when you go in and out of the app.

S4

Facebook - No stutter going in or out
Whatsapp - No stutter going in or out
ColorNote - No stutter going in, slight stutter going out
NeoGAF (shortcut) - No stutter going in or out
GMAIL - No stutter going in or out
Camera - No stutter going in or out
Gallery - No stutter going in or out
PlayStore - No stutter going in or out

S3

Facebook - No stutter going in or out
Whatsapp - No stutter going in or out
ColorNote - No stutter going in, ever so slight stutter going out
NeoGAF (shortcut) - No stutter going in or out
GMAIL - No stutter going in or out
Camera - No stutter going in, ever so slight stutter going out
Gallery - No stutter going in or out
PlayStore - No stutter going in or out

Anecdotal I know, but I'm only reporting what I'm experiencing. Not suggesting at all the S4's UI runs like butter 100% of the time. It runs about the same as the S3 in all honestly, quick and snappy most of the time, the odd micro stutter here and there. Same as most phone's. As I reported in my impressions earlier, only real glitch I've had is the music player crashing on me one time.

Menelaus

Banned
Played with a friend's AT&T S4 tonight, plenty of micro stuttering around the OS. It's Android...the GPU is so poorly coded/implemented, it will be a problem until Google gets their heads out of their asses.

Most of the Samsung features like eye scrolling and head position based pausing are so gimmicky it's sad. The camera additions are pretty slick though.

Hasney

Played with a friend's AT&T S4 tonight, plenty of micro stuttering around the OS. It's Android...the GPU is so poorly coded/implemented, it will be a problem until Google gets their heads out of their asses.

Most of the Samsung features like eye scrolling and head position based pausing are so gimmicky it's sad. The camera additions are pretty slick though.

I like the fact that it doesn't lock the phone if you look at it. Officially the only one I use.

Not noticing much of the stuttering mentioned. I get a little going to my second homescreen with a shit ton of widgets, but that's it. The home button isn't as instant as I'd like it to be either, but other than that, I'm more than happy performance wise.

Nemesis_

Made a few wallpapers using Dead End Thrills. I'm not actually sure how they look, but once I get back from work I might move them over proper (reception here is shocking).

I'm not even sure if these filesizes are appropriate, but here's to wishing! :p

alanwake-writersblockxput0.jpg
alicemadnessreturns-lmgui1.jpg
deadspace3-teratooguwp.jpg

fallout3-icon96udv.jpg
mirrorsedge-stillalivzzufg.jpg
supermariogalaxy-floarruc4.jpg

tombraider-thenaturalzju2c.jpg
halflife2-trenchfoot8vyl9.jpg
skyrim-birdwatchngle4.jpg

skyrim-theyliveoazb8.jpg
batman-awatchfulguardf7xb5.jpg
batman-onahottinroof58l3c.jpg

masseffect-farawaysockqz50.jpg
spaceengine-bandonthe3nx3j.jpg
specopstheline-theherjabqg.jpg

I don't think it's Google in this case.

I'm pretty sensitive to framerates; I can easily tell a 60fps game from something less, I hate streaming sports cuz of the framerate being in half, can't stand XBMC when the ui isn't at 60, hated when survivor went to Hd at the expense of framerate and avoided Android because of it compared to my iPhone.

With that in mind, it's a non issue on the HTC One. Since the S4 has similar hardware, I'm inclined to believe it's a Samsung optimization issue instead of it being Google's fault.

fuenf

WTF Samsung. I just went to take a look at the black S4 and came back extremely disappointed :( What a two face of a phone, the front is beautiful but the back cover is just hideous. It looks like something a teenage girl would design. If it had a matte carbon style backcover, it would easily be the best looking phone out there.

Is the white version any better?

One other thing, developer options are hidden by default. You need to select 'about device', followed by clicking the model number 5 times to unlock this option. I recommend it because after you do you can set transition animation scale, duration etc (there's 3 options) to 0.5x instead of the default 1.0x, this makes everything slightly snappier and quicker.

Is this a joke post or what? Its not working for me and I feel like an idiot sitting here and tapping continuously

Is this a joke post or what? Its not working for me and I feel like an idiot sitting here and tapping continuously

That typically "unlocks" the hidden Android OS version screen. Doesn't work on the One though and I guess not the S4 either.

Edit: Mixing things up a little, it's the android version you tap on, and it does work on the S4.

Okay, its: Settings > More > About Device. Scroll down to Build Number > Press it 7 times.

Go back a screen and enter Developer Options.

If you scroll down you can set 3 different types of animations in .5 incriments. I turned those 3 from 1.0x to .5x

Definitely a snappier experience going through the phone

Ephemeris

Made a few wallpapers using Dead End Thrills. I'm not actually sure how they look, but once I get back from work I might move them over proper (reception here is shocking).

I'm not even sure if these filesizes are appropriate, but here's to wishing! :p

nom nom nom

Nemesis_

They aren't as good as they could be, but I love the Mario one especially.

I'll make some more tomorrow! Really only going for the ones that work on a vertical level.

nib95

Banned

Lol, pretty good vid.

Okay, its: Settings > More > About Device. Scroll down to Build Number > Press it 7 times.

Go back a screen and enter Developer Options.

If you scroll down you can set 3 different types of animations in .5 incriments. I turned those 3 from 1.0x to .5x

Definitely a snappier experience going through the phone

Sorry dude, should have explained myself a bit better earlier. Glad you got it though.

Nice wallpapers above but I'd love MOAR! Lol.

They aren't as good as they could be, but I love the Mario one especially.

I'll make some more tomorrow! Really only going for the ones that work on a vertical level.

Awesome.

Peterthumpa

Holy shit, after having my One for just about a week now, had the opportunity to play a little bit with a friend's S4. Honestly, I can't understand why there's so many lags on animations that makes the phone seems sluggish as hell. I believe that this must be the Touch UX or whatever Samsung calls it, because this is issue is completely non existent on my One (which has a slightly underclocked processor btw).

Also, Samsung UI is a disservice to this phone strengths.

Coming from an old S3 user, not biased in any means. Just stating what I was able to notice right away.

MarkusRJR

Holy shit, after having my One for just about a week now, had the opportunity to play a little bit with a friend's S4. Honestly, I can't understand why there's so many lags on animations that makes the phone seems sluggish as hell. I believe that this must be the Touch UX or whatever Samsung calls it, because this is issue is completely non existent on my One (which has a slightly underclocked processor btw).

Also, Samsung UI is a disservice to this phone strengths.

Coming from an old S3 user, not biased in any means. Just stating what I was able to notice right away.
Samsung's TouchWiz is pretty terrible from what I've heard. Ugly, full of useless bloatware, and causes a lot of lag and stuttering (especially when talking about older versions). Samsung just really need to work on their software. It's annoying because every casual user ends up thinking lag is an android issue, when it's only a legitimate issue with phones that use shitty software placed over android. Hopefully Samsung releases and update soon for the S4. It's unacceptable to have lag or stuttering with this powerful a phone.

Samsung's TouchWiz is pretty terrible from what I've heard. Ugly, full of useless bloatware, and causes a lot of lag and stuttering (especially when talking about older versions). Samsung just really need to work on their software. It's annoying because every casual user ends up thinking lag is an android issue, when it's only a legitimate issue with phones that use shitty software placed over android. Hopefully Samsung releases and update soon for the S4. It's unacceptable to have lag or stuttering with this powerful a phone.

Would replacing TouchWiz with a better launcher fix it/make it better?

Peterthumpa

Would replacing TouchWiz with a better launcher fix it/make it better?
Not really I think. It would still be running in the background as a default service from the phone.

I guess that maybe a custom ROM would help it, but I'm not aware of the current state of development for the S4.

nib95

Banned

I think whatever issues are present will be ironed out in software updates. if you remember, the S3 was exactly the same on release, and had several releases (that were very frequent) that ironed them out, including the Jelly Bean 'Butter' update.

Peterthumpa

I see. /: So can we expect an update to fix these problems?
I really don't think that Samsung is able to fix this without a complete overhaul of their Android implementation. My Galaxy S3 was always sluggish with Samsung official firmwares, and installing Cyanogenmod reduced the problem but never eliminated it, probably 'cause the Exynos sources were never well documented.

This could be different for the S4's quad core version though, since it runs a Snapdragon processor.

nib95

Banned
I really don't think that Samsung is able to fix this without a complete overhaul of their Android implementation. My Galaxy S3 was always sluggish with Samsung official firmwares, and installing Cyanogenmod reduced the problem but never eliminated it, probably 'cause the Exynos sources were never well documented.

This could be different for the S4's quad core version though, since it runs a Snapdragon processor.

Samsung DID fix the issues with the S3 though. You probably just got rid of yours before you were able to see them through. Also, getting rid of the carrier OS versions helps massively, I've always used only vanilla (stock) TouchWiz on my Galaxy phones and imo they run cleaner.

Can someone post a screenshot of their Google Play Store home screen.

Mine and my girlfriend's is different.

If it's white it's new, if it's black it's old. If you want the new one and it hasn't been pushed to you just google "play store apk", download it directly to the phone and install it. Android Police have it.

Peterthumpa

Samsung DID fix the issues with the S3 though. You probably just got rid of yours before you were able to see them through. Also, getting rid of the carrier OS versions helps massively, I've always used only vanilla (stock) TouchWiz on my Galaxy phones and imo they run cleaner.
I got rid of mine three weeks ago. Believe me, in comparison with my S3 and even the S4 that I talked about, my One is in another level of smoothness.

nib95

Banned
I got rid of mine three weeks ago. Believe me, in comparison with my S3 and even the S4 that I talked about, my One is in another level of smoothness.

I have a hard time believing that. People said the same thing about the iPhone, but that isn't true either really. It might have a margin less micro stutter, but I'd be surprised if it's going to be that much smoother overall since most of these phones now (Windows, Android or iOS) are all lightning quick. Did you reduce the windows transition scales/durations by half in developer options when you had the S3? A lot of people find iOS quicker, but that's often mainly because the animations with pane transitions are much shorter and snappier in iOS, which you can replicate somewhat in the options.

Unless of course the HTC One is the first phone in the world not to suffer from micro stutter, which I already know is not the case based on video reviews etc. I am curious to try one out now though, I don't mean a demo unit in a store either (these are usually always slower and loaded with crap), but my own.

Really? My brother used to own a few Samsung android phones back in the day and they were super laggy.

I started with Galaxy S, moved on to S2, and played with my S3. The leap from S to S2 was massive. S2 to S3 made it even faster. But I still felt that the biggest leap was from S to S2. The original Galaxy S was laggy, but with CFW, it was manageable.

Peterthumpa

I have a hard time believing that. People said the same thing about the iPhone, but that isn't true either really. It might have a margin less micro stutter, but I'd be surprised if it's going to be that much smoother overall since most of these phones now (Windows, Android or iOS) are all lightning quick. Did you reduce the windows transition scales/durations by half in developer options when you had the S3? A lot of people find iOS quicker, but that's often mainly because the animations with pane transitions are much shorter and snappier in iOS, which you can replicate somewhat in the options.

Unless of course the HTC One is the first phone in the world not to suffer from micro stutter, which I already know is not the case based on video reviews etc. I am curious to try one out now though, I don't mean a demo unit in a store either (these are usually always slower and loaded with crap), but my own.
Yes, I did reduce the transition scale back then. The problem was never animation speed but animation fluidity. Even with custom ROMs the problem never went away.

My guess is that Sense 5 (HTC's over the top interface) is really well optimized and the fact that the software runs on the latest high end hardware available helps it a lot.

Give the One a try and you'll see what I mean.

nib95

Banned
The One is a little smoother than the S4, by about...3% lol. The S4 is fine.

There's dozens of video reviews and comparisons out there. Like, several. From PhoneArena, AndroidAuthority and more. The differences in smoothness are negligible.

Speed wise, it's hit and miss, S4 being faster in some things (web browsing and intensive apps), HTC One being faster in others (opening and closing certain apps, loading others). For example...

Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One, Which Is Faster?

The conclusion in the above video is that both phones are super smooth and snappy, but the S4 is slightly quicker overall.

Nemesis_

My S4 is smooth and has no stuttering at all (and this is watching youtube, facebook messaging, tweeting, GAF browsing and SMS at the same time and switching between them) and I was very sensitive to it on both my HTC Desire HD and S3

What's the deal? I have almost everything turned on as well.

There's dozens of video reviews and comparisons out there. Like, several. From PhoneArena, AndroidAuthority and more. The differences in smoothness are negligible.

Speed wise, it's hit and miss, S4 being faster in some things (web browsing and intensive apps), HTC One being faster in others (opening and closing certain apps, loading others). For example...

Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One, Which Is Faster?

The conclusion in the above video is that both phones are super smooth and snappy, but the S4 is slightly quicker overall.

Can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not lol

nib95

Banned
My S4 is smooth and has no stuttering at all (and this is watching youtube, facebook messaging, tweeting, GAF browsing and SMS at the same time and switching between them) and I was very sensitive to it on both my HTC Desire HD and S3

What's the deal? I have almost everything turned on as well.

The deal is probably that the two HTC One owners in here are seeing more stuttering in the S4 than others lol. But the reality is probably that they're roughly about the same.

I've heard similar stuff from iPhone users as well tbh, and whilst iOS might be fractionally smoother, I honestly don't think they're relevant differences. All the latest phones I've tested and used lately (including the S4), are all super snappy and smooth. None are free from micro stutter. Add to that, no doubt both the S4 and the HTC One will get smoother and quicker with firmware updates too.

As a side note, if I had to guess another reason why they find certain phones smoother or quicker, it's because those phones have shorter animation transitions. The HTC One actually has shorter animations in menu transitions over the S4, which might be giving the illusion of it being smoother or quicker (likewise with iOS). I have 0.5x animation scale/duration on my Galaxy's so I don't really notice it as much.

Nemesis_

More wallpapers from Dead End Thrills. So it's all gaming stuff, but some of them are rather nice.

Nothing shows off the HD Super AMOLED as well as the stock wallpapers though, not sure how I would even try to achieve that same effect (then again, I am merely cropping the Dead End Thrills images anyway so it's not like I'm doing anything special)

I guess it's also the fact that the images themselves aren't big enough to look natively crisp when you crop out a small part of them. It's disappointing - basically whoever does the capture needs to do it originally with intent to take a vertical orientation rather than horizontal.

I was successful at the At&t store and was able to buy one of these.

Loving it so far.

Been able to use the full Gmaps is a godsend for my commute and also looking forward to take advantage of Google now.

Coming from a 4s is also kinda jarring... DAT Screen.

Cannot wait for CM to happen on this.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'll be getting mine in a couple of weeks. Got some hands on time with my friends phone. That screen is just leagues above my S2.

Top Bottom