• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Zapages

here's how to get flash to work on Galaxy S4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpEgrvsMBIY

You need a different browser called boat browser to run it... I guess it does not work on stock browser according to the video.

Thanks for the suggestions. Honestly I don't know if I should take the plunge... My Galaxy S2 is working fine., but the other day it was crashing like crazy (every 5 minutes). I have not rooted my phone or anything like that. So I don't know what to do. I am still debating.

Thanks fort the advice so far. :)

Boat broswer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boatbrowser.free&hl=en

Nemesis_

what's the best thin case that still provides protection?

Is there such a thing? =P

Something that ships internationally / to Australia obviously.

Madness

*sigh* Finally got to upgrade my phone....and it was to an S3. Living life in the slow lane I guess.

And that lane is still faster than most of the people on the planet. I know it's relative deprivation, but you have a hell of a device with the S3.

Apple just posted it's list of top apps. None of the top apps or games required quad cores or heavy GPU etc. I don't think I ran anything besides the epic citadel benchmark on my S3 etc. Definitely didn't need the spec upgrade.

Besides, if you wait about another 4 months, you can splurge on a Note 3, or wait for the Nexus 5 and it'll make the one and s4 look like a slow lane etc.

Nemesis_

Is there a way to test the LED? I am worried that my one is fucked - it isn't turning purple or white when I make those settings in, for example, WhatsApp

j-wood

Well now I'm leaning towards getting the S4. I just read some rumors online that say the S3 won't be updated to Android 5.0 in the US because it doesn't have a quad-core processor? If so that kinda sucks.

For people that have an ATT or Tmobile version, is the camera still really good/has no shutter lag?

Well now I'm leaning towards getting the S4. I just read some rumors online that say the S3 won't be updated to Android 5.0 in the US because it doesn't have a quad-core processor? If so that kinda sucks.

For people that have an ATT or Tmobile version, is the camera still really good/has no shutter lag?

i dunno about that rumor, but the sammobile rumor said the S3 and the Note 2 would get KLP, but the S2 and Note 1 would stop with a 4.2.2 update.

j-wood

they're combining different rumors from different sources and speculating based on them. the problem is the second source is discussing Tablet upgrades and the dual core OMAP and Tegra 2 processors in those devices are not close at all to the performance of the Snapdragon S4 in the US GS3.

Yeah i see that now...and it really doesn't even make sense. Why would Google do that, and lock out a majority of current devices? ICS doesn't even require dual core...unless this is somehow google's plan to solve fragmentation, by making it not even possible.

Nemesis_

Those wallpapers are awesome. Are you making them? I would love some Olivia Wilde ones :p

I am not making them, just cropping from some high resolution sources.

I'll try to find some and make Olivia Wilde for you

SPEAKING OF WHICH, finished Dead End Thrills.

More to come after these! Don't just want to do a huge dump and clog up the thread.

They are blurry, but the PPI on the Galaxy makes them look better than you would think.

masseffect-barofgold2uu00.jpg
masseffect-entourage9eueo.jpg
masseffect-hereafter5qu9l.jpg

masseffect-planetsidezkusd.jpg
masseffect-scarsandsodvuzx.jpg
masseffect-silentassab0uzt.jpg

masseffect-thelongwalh4uvb.jpg
mirrorsedge-twilightaqu2l.jpg
masseffect-theredandtkluoa.jpg

killer7-splitpersonalacui8.jpg
killer7-bloodsimple8zu10.jpg
killer7-7thdan10uz3.jpg

eufloria-growthpotentjcuo8.jpg
icycle-rampartsryukj.jpg
xenoblade-thebeginnine7uj4.jpg

Messi

I am not making them, just cropping from some high resolution sources.

I'll try to find some and make Olivia Wilde for you

SPEAKING OF WHICH, finished Dead End Thrills.

More to come after these! Don't just want to do a huge dump and clog up the thread.

They are blurry, but the PPI on the Galaxy makes them look better than you would think.

Awesome thanks

Just ordered one of these, switched to a tarrif that was £2-per month more expensive than my current one and got the S4 for free with my contract upgrade :)

This will be my first new phone since the HTC Hero! Ah, it's served me well. What an awesome little phone.

j-wood

I'm about to go from a Bionic to an S3...sad I'll be losing my unlimited data, but I don't see a way around it, and paying full price isn't an option :(

j-wood

Every other carrier seems to have awful coverage....Verizon has the best network, but is the worst company :/

I thought about ebay, but don't like buying used phones. New ones are still around $400

^ Very nice.

Question: are there any minimalistic docking stations that would work for the S4? Something that has speakers and charges the phone?

How does removable flash compare with internal flash?

I'm looking to retire my iphone 3GS and upgrading to this phone but the lack of a 32GB version is kind of holding me back for now.

I've heard that androids can be rooted to allow for apps to run off the sd card. Are there any major performance hits or stability issues in doing that?

Should I just hold out or is the difference negligible?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
^ Very nice.

Question: are there any minimalistic docking stations that would work for the S4? Something that has speakers and charges the phone?

I think there's a mediocre iHome one. I wish there was a good one that had standing charge, FM radio, alarm, aux input, bluetooth input, and probably some other junk. Alas.

No, not even that good. Just a generic android one.

They might have made a new model, because this one doesn't seem bad.

Well all I really would want is something that docks my phone, charges it, and has decent speakers. Could you link to one? I can't find any.

EDIT: Oop, I'll check that one out.

EDIT 2: Don't know if I'm feeling that one. Are there seriously no good Android ones?

EDIT 3: This looks nice!

otapnam

I'm looking at this for a case, anyone have an opinion on the company or the case?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW6GJ1K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i have it ordered. but it wont be out till the 10th.... From reviews the company seems reputable and the case itself, from pics looks like what I want. extra padding and a raised surface for the front.

in other news, my phones been at the airport for 2 days now, guess they dont process that stuff on weekends : / Was hoping for the phone to arrive a day early (tuesday is the scheduled date)

Every other carrier seems to have awful coverage....Verizon has the best network, but is the worst company :/

It is unfortunately probably not an exaggeration to say that being the worst company was how Verizon got all the money they used to build the best network. Verizon will have 100% of their entire 3G footprint covered by 4G LTE by this summer!

Verizon

I thought about ebay, but don't like buying used phones. New ones are still around $400

I dont get this argument for two reasons.

1) If youre like most americans, you live in a city. Sure, verizon covers bumblefuck texas better than anyone else....but how often are you there? Largest network emans jack shit to most people because youre never out there

2) Sprint has free roaming on the entire Verizon network.

It is unfortunately probably not an exaggeration to say that being the worst company was how Verizon got all the money they used to build the best network. Verizon will have 100% of their entire 3G footprint covered by 4G LTE by this summer!

Verizon

Thats not true.

1) They wont have 100% 4G coverage
2) Veirzon was able to build a 4G network so quickly because they did no upgrades to the tower. Once everyone jumps onto a 4G network, the speeds will slow drastically.

1) If youre like most americans, you live in a city. Sure, verizon covers bumblefuck texas better than anyone else....but how often are you there? Largest network emans jack shit to most people because youre never out there

If you aren't ever going to leave the city, then you should be using T-Mobile anyways not Sprint. Sprint is total shit for data and everyone knows it, their 3G is slower than competitors' 2G. Sprint's roaming on Verizon's network doesn't apply to data in case you are wondering.

Thats not true.

2) Veirzon was able to build a 4G network so quickly because they did no upgrades to the tower. Once everyone jumps onto a 4G network, the speeds will slow drastically.

I don't know what you mean, their LTE overlay is over their entire 3G/CDMA footprint. They don't have HSPA "fake 4G" to fall back on like AT&T and T-Mobile, that's why they have been so aggressive on rolling out LTE.

And I don't even know what you are trying to FUD about with "upgrades to the tower". Verizon had to build out an entire new infrastructure to support LTE, which is an incompatible standard with CDMA2000. Verizon is the only company which is operating two mutually incompatible networks side-by-side except Sprint, everyone else are already operating on a GSM network and adding LTE to a base GSM network is much more trivial than what Verizon had to do.

And if you think that AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint LTE won't slow down when everyone gets on it, you're delusional. It happens that I'm in Seattle quite a lot and that was actually a Verizon LTE launch market, it's been years now and I still get crazy speeds there. So I don't know what you're FUDing about.

sun-drop

picked mine up today.

sitting next to my s3 it's really interesting ... the s3 does feel smaller in hand imo, purely because of the smoothed off edges.

i feel teh s4 would have been perfect in look and feel if the metal sides where just a touch slimer.

that said though, gorgeous phone .

can't comprehend the verge's take on the design of this phone, good design does not = metal parts. imo there is not alot wrong with the front side of the s3, prefer it to any phone actually because it focuses on the screen, which is the main thing.

the back, ok pretty boring looking ... and finish is slick which people can go either way on ... but you know what ... my s3 is almost a year old ... wipe the back of it with a cloth and stick it in a box, and i bet no one would blink an eye if i said it was new from the store.

Thats not true.

yeah, i've been all the way up and down the east coast many times, and Sprint is solid. and occasionally, i'm roaming on Verizon. i hear things are different further west though...

j-wood

Thats not true.

It matters to me as I live out west in Colorado. So i'm frequently venturing out of the city. I also have my entire family on the east side of the US, so I drive home a few times a year, which is cheaper than flying. I'm picking up the S3 today as a side note...for anyone who still wants one, best buy has it on sale for $50 bucks! That's a steal.

Marco1

Is the heat from the back of this phone anything to be worried about?
Also after disabling most of the features the battery life is still awful.

It matters to me as I live out west in Colorado. So i'm frequently venturing out of the city. I also have my entire family on the east side of the US, so I drive home a few times a year, which is cheaper than flying. I'm picking up the S3 today as a side note...for anyone who still wants one, best buy has it on sale for $50 bucks! That's a steal.

i can't call anything over a dollar for a GS3 a steal. not after the black friday and cyber monday sales.

still remember how happy my cousin was to get one for 96 cents!

Top Bottom