• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Nemesis_

Final post (for tonight) with some more wallpapers

Done up to page 120 of Dead End Thrills. So not much more to go.
alanwake-evileye79ufc.jpg
bioshock-theconstantgt4uws.jpg
windwaker-unchartedz1urq.jpg

spaceengine-planetm6zul4.jpg
spaceengine-realtimewq6upc.jpg
spaceengine-newdayr4urp.jpg

eve-theroadtowarr0uhi.jpg
eve-theapprenticezlukq.jpg
eve-sleepingsatelliteu9u4p.jpg

skyrim-faustuku2t.jpg
masseffect-thecoldwar9buim.jpg
skyrim-trainingdayaguy3.jpg

masseffect-almosthumah7u1s.jpg
supermariogalaxy-skatfsue4.jpg
dearesther-theghostthpua5f.jpg

actually, performance was not a complaint against TouchWiz until now. the GS4 was rushed.

This is the correct answer.

There should be no reason why the One stutter less than the s4.

I have a hard time believing that. People said the same thing about the iPhone, but that isn't true either really. It might have a margin less micro stutter, but I'd be surprised if it's going to be that much smoother overall since most of these phones now (Windows, Android or iOS) are all lightning quick. Did you reduce the windows transition scales/durations by half in developer options when you had the S3? A lot of people find iOS quicker, but that's often mainly because the animations with pane transitions are much shorter and snappier in iOS, which you can replicate somewhat in the options.

Unless of course the HTC One is the first phone in the world not to suffer from micro stutter, which I already know is not the case based on video reviews etc. I am curious to try one out now though, I don't mean a demo unit in a store either (these are usually always slower and loaded with crap), but my own.

I think you are not sensitive to framerates. Which is a good thing for you. While others can really tell there's lag.

There are other reviews from tech sites that mention this lag.......so this lag does exsist regardless if you believe it or not.

Go try the S4 and One side by side and compare them....it will make the lag more obvious.

You can turn off all the extra functions of the S4, but don't bother doing anything with the One, cause even without doing anything, it will still be smooth.

I've shown multiple people and ask them which one is smoother....and all said the One.

nib95

Banned
This is the correct answer.

There should be no reason why the One stutter less than the s4.

I think you are not sensitive to framerates. Which is a good thing for you. While others can really tell there's lag.

There are other reviews from tech sites that mention this lag.......so this lag does exsist regardless if you believe it or not.

Go try the S4 and One side by side and compare them....it will make the lag more obvious.

You can turn off all the extra functions of the S4, but don't bother doing anything with the One, cause even without doing anything, it will still be smooth.

I've shown multiple people and ask them which one is smoother....and all said the One.

There are reviews that mention stutter for both of these phones. It's not exclusive to the S4.

Can you link the reviews you're thinking of anyway, I'm curious to read them.

There are reviews that mention stutter for both of these phones. It's not exclusive to the S4.

Stutter on the One? lol I bet they had power saving on by mistake. Without it it never stutters.

Ally1987

has anyone rooted there phone yet? I want to do it myself, but do not know if I dare since I never have rooted any of my phones before.

I think it was android police, and android central and many other sites.

Lol all phones stutter dude. I repeat, All phones, some less than others. I've seen the One stutter on rare occasion even in certain video reviews.

Try reading there hands on reviews...and also compare them yourself too...don't just base it on a video..

I read almost all One review and no one ever mention the word lag in the review. While there's multiples site that mentions lag in the S4.

demonkaze

So how trustworthy is Amazon marketplace? Ive found an S4 on there for an acceptable price (factory unlocked). The desceiption says its been opened to check for dead pixels otherwise like new.

Menelaus

Banned
So how trustworthy is Amazon marketplace? Ive found an S4 on there for an acceptable price (factory unlocked). The desceiption says its been opened to check for dead pixels otherwise like new.

Glorified Ebay buy it now. Use extreme prejudice and your best judgement.

j-wood

I'm leaning towards getting the GS3 now. It's $100 cheaper, and I know it's a solid phone...all these reports on the GS4 stuttering and whatnot make me a little iffy, and the fact that it hasn't even been a year since the GS3, seems rushed.

Knowing the bootloader is unlocked on the GS3 as well (verizon) is a huge bonus.

Menelaus

Banned
The bootloader will be unlocked day 1 for verizon on the S4 as well.

Also, you better believe the S3 has its own fair share of stuttering.

Here in Canada, they are offering a FREE KINDLE PAPERWHITE if you purchase an SIII

I want that eReader so bad, but I'm still under contract.

Here in Canada, they are offering a FREE KINDLE PAPERWHITE if you purchase an SIII

I want that eReader so bad, but I'm still under contract.

Thats for new customers only, and it's for all phones.

However if you get an S4 you get $35 to the play store, for new or upgrading customers.

nib95

Banned
I'm leaning towards getting the GS3 now. It's $100 cheaper, and I know it's a solid phone...all these reports on the GS4 stuttering and whatnot make me a little iffy, and the fact that it hasn't even been a year since the GS3, seems rushed.

Knowing the bootloader is unlocked on the GS3 as well (verizon) is a huge bonus.

I'm using both phones, and there's little difference in stuttering. It's a rare occurrence and happens on both phones. Don't read in to the complaints too much, they're mainly from non owners. If you want to see how it performs in real world situations, just watch any of the countless videos of people using the phone online, including video reviews etc. The stuttering issue is being exaggerated by users of competitor handsets. The exact same complaints were lauded against the S3 by iPhone users and we know how that turned out.

As nearly all the reviews mention, this device is one of the fastest out there and the stuttering is very rare and even then lasts less than a split second. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but you'll find its largely a non issue that doesn't hamper speed or use in any way, as the owners on here have stated. Same as with most phones really.

Try and go in to a store, close apps and clear memory, turn off settings you don't need, and then tinker around with it.

j-wood

I'm using both phones, and there's little difference in stuttering. It's a rare occurrence and happens on both phones. Don't read in to the complaints too much, they're mainly from non owners. If you want to see how it performs in real world situations, just watch any of the countless videos of people using the phone online, including video reviews etc. The stuttering issue is being exaggerated by users of competitor handsets. The exact same complaints were lauded against the S3 by iPhone users and we know how that turned out.

As nearly all the reviews mention, this device is one of the fastest out there and the stuttering is very rare and even then lasts less than a split second. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but you'll find its largely a non issue that doesn't hamper speed or use in any way, as the owners on here have stated. Same as with most phones really.

Try and go in to a store, close apps and clear memory, turn off settings you don't need, and then tinker around with it.

Do you think it's worth the extra $100 over the GS3? I just can't shake the Droid X2 vibe from it.

TxdoHawk

Every day, I look around hoping to see news about an early VZW release.

Every day, I am left a sad man. ._.

Has anybody ever pre-ordered a phone through Dell? I noticed today they offer the S4, and unlike going through VZW, I wouldn't have to pay tax. I just wonder if I will have to wait even longer...

Madness

As a current GSIII and GS4 owner, the differences between between them make up for the price discrepany between the devices.

The S4 is much more powerful, has a superior and larger screen, and the camera and software are upgraded.

If you are coming from an S2 or older device, definitely pay the money and get the S4, if you have a GS3, Note 2, Nexus 4 or any 2012 device, you shouldn't really upgrade now, it's not that big of a leap at all.

As for the stuttering, the GS4 has much more intensive software and touchwiz integration, it's ti be expected. If you are coming off the butter smoothness of stock Android on a Nexus 4, you'll notice it. It definitely wasn't present in the GS3 and I think it'll be fixed when Samsung releases the first update.

It is by no means as bad as people are making it out to be. The reason review sites mention it, is because they have to. They are comparing devices. Touchwiz is just a bigger hog than Sense.

Then again, if you just want a great, cheap phone, the GSIII is no slouch by any means. It's still one of the top smartphones. Just know that the spec war is hitting it's peak. In a few months, even the S4 and HTC One will feel outdated once the S800 and other chips start coming into play.

nib95

Banned
Had a hilarious exchange on Group Play earlier today. It functions far better that I thought it would. Started off with my cousin and brother in law messing around sharing songs to see how it worked, then I joined them and we started sharing funny photo's. After that, we figured out you could draw/erase on images in real time, que drawing stupid things on each other like sharing a pic of my cousin, then drawing him sucking a..ahem...lol. His response was to run to my dad and ask him what it was I'd drawn (knowing it'd get me stitched up since my dad is very proper, sensible and firm), that ended in me frantically erasing my drawing before he could see it lol.

I think we've spent the last hour sharing funny bits and bobs, and drawing stuff. It's cool how all 4 (my sister has one now too) devices see all drawings etc in real time, as they're being drawn or erased. If I was bored at a wedding or meeting or something, I could see group play coming in handy for a laugh.

cajunator

Banned
After a few days with this phone, the only gripe I have with it is that flash no longer works. But I can deal with it since everything is moving from flash anyway. Pretty much everything else about the phone is ideal for me. It even works way better with Neogaf moblile than the Galaxy S2 did. This phone is more powerful, the battery lasts longer, it has better camera options, it crashes less, and is more customizeable. Plus the fucking thing ready my eye movement. Right now Im pretty blown away by it. Im sure the honeymoon will fade but damn if this phone isnt just about perfect to me right now.

Menelaus

Banned
After a few days with this phone, the only gripe I have with it is that flash no longer works. But I can deal with it since everything is moving from flash anyway. Pretty much everything else about the phone is ideal for me. It even works way better with Neogaf moblile than the Galaxy S2 did. This phone is more powerful, the battery lasts longer, it has better camera options, it crashes less, and is more customizeable. Plus the fucking thing ready my eye movement. Right now Im pretty blown away by it. Im sure the honeymoon will fade but damn if this phone isnt just about perfect to me right now.

Just go grab an old APK!

nib95

Banned
Just go grab an old APK!

Can you give instructions on how to do this, or where to download it? I didn't even realise Flash wasn't there, but I haven't really done much browsing beyond GAF and a few tech sites. That's a shame though, a lot of sites still use Flash for videos.

Menelaus

Banned

nib95

Banned
I found an old one on my hard drive, give this a try. You need to make sure you've enabled installing from third party sources.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-s20jJ6mcf0dWc4ekY5cXVWT1k/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers dude. Appreciate it.

EDIT: Side note, hows everyone doing for battery? I'm on 18h 32m 24s total, with 4.5 hours of screen on time, and pretty intense use (WiFi direct, Group share, videos, camera, whatsapp, Facebook, calls, web browsing etc) and have 29% left. Pretty good I reckon.

Nemesis_

I set the orange nebula one as my home screen and I get a black bar at the top where the network signal etc appear.

How do I even do that? The image itself is native resolution, do the images need to be tweaked to stop the black bar from happening?

nib95

Banned
How do I even do that? The image itself is native resolution, do the images need to be tweaked to stop the black bar from happening?

Did a bit of googling, and don't think you can at this point. A few people are working on a tweak. I'll update this thread if I hear more.

Menelaus

Banned
Did a bit of googling, and don't think you can at this point. A few people are working on a tweak. I'll update this thread if I hear more.

It's amazing that we're almost to Key Lime Pie and Android still can't even set a wallpaper correctly...

nib95

Banned
You can still get Adobe Flash Player for Android straight from Adobe themselves. It's just not available on Google Play anymore, nor is it being updated. Flash Player for Windows is up to 11.7 now, the last version for Android was 11.1.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html
(scroll down for Android)

Downloaded and installed but can't seem to get it to work. When I select the app to check settings it just loads a blank Web page :(

EDIT: Side note, hows everyone doing for battery? I'm on 18h 32m 24s total, with 4.5 hours of screen on time, and pretty intense use (WiFi direct, Group share, videos, camera, whatsapp, Facebook, calls, web browsing etc) and have 29% left. Pretty good I reckon.

Mine went for more 24 hours and I still had 35% left. I do a lot of web browsing with it. And that's with the stock firmware. Can't wait for CM.

Madness

You can still get Adobe Flash Player for Android straight from Adobe themselves. It's just not available on Google Play anymore, nor is it being updated. Flash Player for Windows is up to 11.7 now, the last version for Android was 11.1.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html
(scroll down for Android)

I thought once jelly bean launched, any devices that didn't have flash before, wouldn't be able to get them to work without rooting the device?

It sucks because the industry clearly underestimated just how many sites used and still continue to use flash. I'm just glad I was able to get it on my galaxy s3 before I updated and before Adobe stopped supporting it.

TheWraith

Weird I'm at 16-17hours with less extensive use! Do you have all bells and whistles like gestures & smart stay on? Stock touch-wiz here.

I thought once jelly bean launched, any devices that didn't have flash before, wouldn't be able to get them to work without rooting the device?

It sucks because the industry clearly underestimated just how many sites used and still continue to use flash. I'm just glad I was able to get it on my galaxy s3 before I updated and before Adobe stopped supporting it.

You can download the apk, copy it to the device in any manner you desire, and side-load install it by executing the apk file. You need to make sure "Allow Unknown Sources" is checked in the Security settings to allow side-loading.

Flash works fine with the JB stock browser, but most third-party browsers do not support it.

Downloaded and installed but can't seem to get it to work. When I select the app to check settings it just loads a blank Web page :(

Works for me. It loads an empty page with a downwards-facing green arrow, to trigger the Flash Player plugin just tap on it. It will then load the settings.

Nemesis_

I wonder how or why only stock wallpapers manage to blend into the notification bar. Where are they stored? Maybe seeing then might help.

The blending of the screen with the notification bar was one of the subtle changes from S3 to S4

Top Bottom