• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

picked mine up today.

sitting next to my s3 it's really interesting ... the s3 does feel smaller in hand imo, purely because of the smoothed off edges.

i feel teh s4 would have been perfect in look and feel if the metal sides where just a touch slimer.

that said though, gorgeous phone .

can't comprehend the verge's take on the design of this phone, good design does not = metal parts. imo there is not alot wrong with the front side of the s3, prefer it to any phone actually because it focuses on the screen, which is the main thing.

the back, ok pretty boring looking ... and finish is slick which people can go either way on ... but you know what ... my s3 is almost a year old ... wipe the back of it with a cloth and stick it in a box, and i bet no one would blink an eye if i said it was new from the store.

good design = metal and/or glass parts.

those are the tech blog rules, not just the verge.

Groof

I think the design complaints stem more from it not only looking cheap, but also feeling cheap in the hand, especially compared to devices that use more "premium" materials such as aluminium and whathaveyou. I can agree that at times it looks quite alright, but when holding it it just feels bad, probably due to the glossy and slippery coating they put on there.

I think the design complaints stem more from it not only looking cheap, but also feeling cheap in the hand, especially compared to devices that use more "premium" materials such as aluminium and whathaveyou. I can agree that at times it looks quite alright, but when holding it it just feels bad, probably due to the glossy and slippery coating they put on there.

but it feels great. in fact many of the reviews that complain about the look and the plastic immediately say that the hand feel is awesome.

j-wood

Quick question for those with a GS3...is it possible to turn off that ongoing wifi notification that's on even if you have wifi turned off? Or did verizon remove that?

Mieu

Since I got my S4 last monday, almost 2/3 of my co-workers wanted to get one. Oh, the hype!!!

Though I am enjoying it so far. I lack the apps.

Also, the phone still tend to heat up when talking over the phone

Quick question for those with a GS3...is it possible to turn off that ongoing wifi notification that's on even if you have wifi turned off? Or did verizon remove that?

well, the Verizon GS4 isn't out yet, so we don't know, but the Verizon Galaxy Note II also had that same thing. gotta root or custom rom to remove it.

Nemesis_

Final batch of Dead End Thrills wallpapers. I'll do an "indexing" post for easy reference (and sharing with the HTC One people, if we dare share) and will begin looking around for other sources to make some nice wallpapers (including non-gaming ones)

mirrorsedge-stiltedtouzz.jpg
mirrorsedge-womanonal1qutc.jpg
mirrorsedge-birdonawi3guoz.jpg

mirrorsedge-birdonawie5unw.jpg
halo-theoneringaluhp.jpg
grandtheftauto-thedawxzun7.jpg

fract-iolsucl.jpg
fragile-incaseofemerguouav.jpg
fallout3-eyesofmegatoi4ubx.jpg

assassinscreed-welcomkdu80.jpg
tombraider-coriolisoxudg.jpg
skyrim-shiningpathw3ug2.jpg

alicemadnessreturns-c1au3r.jpg
afear-noonegetsoutofh9quyb.jpg
tombraider-redmuseumdvu9y.jpg

tombraider-lazarusl6u2h.jpg
tombraider-eattolivecpuoa.jpg

reKon

Banned
Final batch of Dead End Thrills wallpapers. I'll do an "indexing" post for easy reference (and sharing with the HTC One people, if we dare share) and will begin looking around for other sources to make some nice wallpapers (including non-gaming ones)

This should really all go in the android customization thread

sun-drop

the verge's review in general pissed me off....i mean in their topshelf show where they reviewed all current phones they mocked the s4 for it's sound effects .. i mean really .. they don't know how to go into a menu screen?

i'm kinda taking the piss their but MAYBE they don't....i mean the guy carried three phones with him because he didn't like sense on the htc one ..i mean holy of all fucks ... download a launcher ..

but also ... i mean in the s4 review they make a note of a slow gallery .... actually i seen several reviews online state this .... guess what ... gallery defaults to loading cloud media also. my s4 has been syncing pics since i turned it of this arvo.

setting the gallery to local content is as easy as hitting a menu key, but some how these "experts" can't figure that out.

Zabka

setting the gallery to local content is as easy as hitting a menu key, but some how these "experts" can't figure that out.

They couldn't hold it long enough to get that far. It felt too wet.

Unrelated, I bought a Moga Pro controller with some Amazon credit to use with my S4. It's a surprisingly solid feeling controller. The only issue I have is that the right analog stick is a bit too close to the buttons. Works great on a bunch of games and emulators I've tried it on.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Is there a good index of Live Wallpapers? I want something simple and most of the online ones are busy stuff. A few active lines would be perfect, sort of like the relatively subtle stock live ones.

sestrugen

I am considering upgrading my phone (Galaxy 5), I would like to get the S4 but I am not sure if I will benefit from the top of the line hardware since all I use my phone for is neogaf and wikipedia. I would definitely like a larger screen but 5" seems a bit excessive.

At this moment I am considering the S3, S3 Mini and S4

Nemesis_

Oh man, 99% of those are extremely tacky. I don't get how people could use those. The only live wallpapers I've liked so far are the Nexus Triangles and the stock Bubbles one.

Yeah, as I said, didn't have a good look.

So hard to find some that are decent these days.

I did install two in my app history. These weren't on my S4, but on my HTC Desire HD which was almost three years ago now (I think).

Have a look at "Mystic Halo" or "City at Night". Both are somewhat simple and not too tacky.

I still prefer static images for my S4 though.

There is also a typographic one called "wp clock", that may appeal too. and it is highly customisable.

TxdoHawk

Jumping ship, you're going to give up that unlimited LTE?

Tempting to hold onto it forever and ever since it may never be offered again on VZW, but even with my heavy-ish data use it is barely worth it when you factor in what I'm losing in subsidies.

Probably going to wind up switching to Sprint. We'll see.

JKTrix

Re: Live Wallpapers,

I've been using Light Grid for ages. You can customize the colours. Right now mine is just black and grey squares, very simple but a neat effect. The video there is not representative of the default look.

VPhys

Tempting to hold onto it forever and ever since it may never be offered again on VZW, but even with my heavy-ish data use it is barely worth it when you factor in what I'm losing in subsidies.

Probably going to wind up switching to Sprint. We'll see.

I see. It's invaluable for me since I use my phone as a hotspot for home and work internet.

this_guy

Engadget has the S600 version as having better battery life:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/06/samsung-galaxy-s4-octacore-review/

Also, in Engadget's case they tested both versions on the same network - T-Mobile. The Pocketnow Youtube video tested a Sprint S600 versus a gsm Exynos Octacore. Having a stronger signal helps with battery life, so it's better if they can use the same network and eliminate that as a variable.

the verge's review in general pissed me off....i mean in their topshelf show where they reviewed all current phones they mocked the s4 for it's sound effects .. i mean really .. they don't know how to go into a menu screen?

i'm kinda taking the piss their but MAYBE they don't....i mean the guy carried three phones with him because he didn't like sense on the htc one ..i mean holy of all fucks ... download a launcher ..

but also ... i mean in the s4 review they make a note of a slow gallery .... actually i seen several reviews online state this .... guess what ... gallery defaults to loading cloud media also. my s4 has been syncing pics since i turned it of this arvo.

[/list]

How can I make it so it doesn't always sync?

Astra

I noticed the silver ring around the edge bulging out a bit on the left side of the phone, right at the center. I pressed on it and it popped back in.
Not sure why it would happen, since I never put any pressure on my phone.
Hopefully I'm just being paranoid about it.

Weenerz

Banned
Is it worth rooting now or should we wait for the other carriers?

Well if you want to be safe wait until the at&t bootloader is posted and somebody provides a stock rom to restore to in case something goes wrong. Otherwise have at it I guess, that's what I did.

So far I have no bloatware, and no lag. So those two perks were worth it.

rc213

http://i.imgur.com/9rUfxN4.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xOYyt8c.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9PZbv87.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Nice I almost bought that case, Does it add much weight or thickness?

[URL]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLVUPGQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20[/URL]

I picked up a teal bugdroid since I had one that was great on the S3.

Mieu

Is there a way to unlock this phone without going through the network customer service and/or third parties?

Chinner

Banned
ive been sing an xperia zl for the last month and its okay. but i just got to try to s4 and boy its reallys amazing. i am desperate to get rid of my zl, i am willing to sell it for $40 i just want to get a galaxy s4.

I have unlimited data right now with verizon. I'm thinking about getting the GS4. Now I can't decide whether or not keeping unlimited is worth paying $650+ tax for the GS4. Has anyone gone through this?

Top Bottom