• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

nib95

Banned
Appreciate all those reviews, but unfortunately it hasn't shoved me off the fence. I'm still undecided :(

One pro's

-Better build materials (aluminium unibody over polycarbonate)
-Better speakers
-LCD (brighter, more accurate whites)
-HTC Sense (simpler)
-Better low light photo's
-Slightly better video recording

S4 pro's

-Bigger screen
-Slimmer, lighter with smaller bezels
-AMOLED (perfect blacks and higher contrast, greater viewing angles, better colour accuracy in movie mode)
-TouchWiz (more feature rich)
-Better camera overall (9mp extra, better colour accuracy, more detail in good to decent light)
-Better battery life overall
-Removable battery
-Micro SD card slot for expandable memory
-Faster processor and gpu
-Gorilla Glass 3 instead of 2

Still in the market for a new phone. I have Verizon and am looking at either the Note 2 or the S4. Anyone care to give a quick impression who has used both models?

Heysoos

Man, after being so undecided between the One and S4, I decided on the S4. The screen is just way too nice. Now to wait for my upgrade to kick in. :( June 1st is taking too long.

Hasney

Still in the market for a new phone. I have Verizon and am looking at either the Note 2 or the S4. Anyone care to give a quick impression who has used both models?

The S4 has a better screen and better specs. The note is larger, but if you want that bigger screen, probably best waiting until the Note 3 at this point.

I've used both as I previously had a Note 2 and my wife has an S4. Get the S4. Lots of options that Note 2 doesn't have. The S4 screen size is great.

nib95

Banned
Just a bit of good news for all you S4 users, you know that stuttering that happens on rare occasion? Well, I flashed to stock international firmware today (stock Touchwiz minus the carrier bloatware) using Odin. So far, not a single Stutter. I tried replicating my stutter test by opening ad closing all my home page(s) apps over and over to get that app closing stutter. Nada. Can't replicate it thus far.

This leads me to believe that some of the stutter is actually caused by carriers clogging things up. Stock is running smooth as anything. I can't even replicate the stutter so far, so if any of you guys do the fw change, let me know if you get similar results.

P.S. I'm still using 0.5x animation scale, duration etc.

nib95

Banned
Oh and another thing, before my memory use (exact same settings, layout, apps etc) was 800mb to 900mb ram in use after a full memory clear, Now I'm getting between 600mb to 700mb. Quite a big difference.

So I've read that the S View isn't really good enough. Is this true?!

it's $a 60 case but it does what they say it does.

do you want even better battery life, a larger screen and the S Pen? get the Note 2. do you want newer hardware, a crisper higher res screen, new navigation options, dual camera mode, an IR remote, etc... get the S4.

Just a bit of good news for all you S4 users, you know that stuttering that happens on rare occasion? Well, I flashed to stock international firmware today (stock Touchwiz minus the carrier bloatware) using Odin. So far, not a single Stutter. I tried replicating my stutter test by opening ad closing all my home page(s) apps over and over to get that app closing stutter. Nada. Can't replicate it thus far.

This leads me to believe that some of the stutter is actually caused by carriers clogging things up. Stock is running smooth as anything. I can't even replicate the stutter so far, so if any of you guys do the fw change, let me know if you get similar results.

P.S. I'm still using 0.5x animation scale, duration etc.

I'm not getting anywheres near the stutter I used to after the update two days ago.

Pandemic

One pro's

-Better build materials (aluminium unibody over polycarbonate)
-Better speakers
-LCD (brighter, more accurate whites)
-HTC Sense (simpler)
-Better low light photo's
-Slightly better video recording

S4 pro's

-Bigger screen
-Slimmer, lighter with smaller bezels
-AMOLED (perfect blacks and higher contrast, greater viewing angles, better colour accuracy in movie mode)
-TouchWiz (more feature rich)
-Better camera overall (9mp extra, better colour accuracy, more detail in good to decent light)
-Better battery life overall
-Removable battery
-Micro SD card slot for expandable memory
-Faster processor and gpu
-Gorilla Glass 3 instead of 2

Hmmm, that has sort of helped me sway to the side of the S4. I'm going to go in store and check them both out. Thanks for that.

The Note II has the S-Pen stylus and a huge battery and 720p screen. The S4 is a newer model with more features and a 1080p screen, but no stylus.

Really, if you think you'll never use the stylus, the S4 is the better choice. If you think you'll get mileage out of the stylus, then the Note II is certainly cheaper. Keep in mind the Note 3 will be out by September/October.

NZNova

Question: I got a new S4, but the guy at the phone store skipped all of the "initial setup" where it asks you about your google account, dropbox account etc. Is there a way to re-run this initial setup again?

Thanks for the help guys. I dont really know much about the S pen, I thought it would be cool to have something to draw on and doodle, I dont know what other functionality I would get out of the S pen. They both seem like great phones, at the moment I'm leaning towards the S4, but we will see.

Hmmm, that has sort of helped me sway to the side of the S4. I'm going to go in store and check them both out. Thanks for that.

He missed a TON of pros for the One (including optical image stabilizer, sharper screen, better colour accuracy -he was wrong about the S4 being better, less lag on main screen, 32gb as standard, HTC sense isn't simpler, it's cleaner). Anyway, I could go on but instead don't listen to any of us. Go into a store a try them both out. Your decision should be based on how you prefer using both phones. Not someone else's (possibly bias) opinion.

He missed a TON of pros for the One (including optical image stabilizer, sharper screen, better colour accuracy -he was wrong about the S4 being better, less lag on main screen, 32gb as standard, HTC sense isn't simpler, it's cleaner). Anyway, I could go on but instead don't listen to any of us. Go into a store a try them both out. Your decision should be based on how you prefer using both phones. Not someone else's (possibly bias) opinion.

but the S4 does have more accurate colors. and indeed, the One isn't simpler, some of their choices they made in their launcher are straight up baffling.

Panzon

Got one a few hours ago and been messing with it since. Coming from a T-mobile G2X you guys can only imagine what a huge difference this is. The camera is insane (although the g2x camera wasn't so bad), the phone speed is amazing, and i could go on and on but you guys get the picture by now. my only complain (like many others) is how cheap the phone feels but I'm not a clumsy person at all and will be extra careful with this one.

I'm gonna keep messing with it and install some good apps and games. Upgrade is worth every penny thus far!!

nib95

Banned

The HTC One has a higher ppi, but it isn't any sharper to the naked eye. Maybe under a microscope or highly magnified lens, but to the eye pixels are completely invisible on both. Hence why I left that out, and just pointed out that the S4 has a bigger screen.

Secondly, the S4 is more accurate in colours. It's actually the second closest phone to 6500k out there. Set to movie mode that is. The One is actually post 7000k, more towards the cool side.

The only fair thing I missed out was the image stabiliser, simply because I forgot. Also, less lag on the main screen is up in the air, please read my posts above. Seems like carrier bloatware is a big reason for some of that rare stutter on certain S4's, and also explains why many owners on these boards have never experienced any, but as mentioned, it can easily be remedied. Also, on actual tasks (web browsing, games, benchmarks, intensive apps etc) the S4 is faster, sometimes by a noticeable margin (especially in web browsing on certain sites like Verge). That I'd imagine is large in part to the faster processor and gpu.

Well I've read quite a few reviews that state otherwise, so I guess it's not that cut and dry.

Only reviews that state otherwise are likely those that did not look to tinker with the display options. There are several sites that use calibration software that have posted their opinions.

Here's a couple.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-ga...firms-amoleds-can-finally-do-accurate-colors/

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

The HTC One has a higher ppi, but it isn't any sharper to the naked eye. Maybe under a microscope or highly magnified lens, but to the eye pixels are completely invisible on both. Hence why I left that out, and just pointed out that the S4 has a bigger screen.

Secondly, the S4 is more accurate in colours. It's actually the second closest phone to 6500k out there. Set to movie mode that is. The One is actually post 7000k, more towards the cool side.

The only fair thing I missed out was the image stabiliser, simply because I forgot. Also, less lag on the main screen is up in the air, please read my posts above. Seems like carrier bloatware is a big reason for some of that rare stutter on certain S4's, and also explains why many owners on these boards have never experienced any, but as mentioned, it can easily be remedied. Also, on actual tasks (web browsing, games, benchmarks, intensive apps etc) the S4 is faster, sometimes by a noticeable margin (especially in web browsing on certain sites like Verge). That I'd imagine is large in part to the faster processor and gpu.

The thing is even with bloatware the One runs smooth. Have you had a long hands on with both units? or most of your experience with the One are in video reviews?

nib95

Banned
The thing is even with bloatware the One runs smooth. Have you had a long hands on with both units? or most of your experience with the One are in video reviews?

My only hands on experience with the One is currently in Phones4U and Vodafone stores lol. To me both phones performed pretty much the same, both super smooth and as quick as anyone would need. If you want I'll pop open the web cam with you and I'll flick through my phone opening and closing apps and you won't see any stutter. It's possible the HTC One stutters even rarer, but I'd sort of expect it to, because the S4 is doing a lot more intensive and intelligent stuff on the software front. But at this point it's grasping....

Only reviews that state otherwise are likely those that did not look to tinker with the display options. There are several sites that use calibration software that have posted their opinions.

Here's a couple.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-ga...firms-amoleds-can-finally-do-accurate-colors/

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

More lag is more lag, if it's carrier bloatware possibly causing it (which hasn't been proven, just a theory of yours), then it's still a problem unless you root. As far as benchmark tests, I think we all know that depending on the test involved the One can actually beat the S4, unless we're talking about the octocore processor. Not sure which version he has available to him.

The higher ppi is a sharper screen, it's just a pro of the phone. It either is or it isn't.

As for the colour accuracy. Some people prefer the accuracy of the One, so it's definitely up in the air. It's not about what people read on a meter, it's about what looks good.

All in all, as I stated, having something good or bad on paper means nothing. It's using the actual phones that will help him.

Edit: did you just write that the S4 is doing "more intelligent stuff" in the background? lol give me a break.

My only hands on experience with the One is currently in Phones4U and Vodafone stores lol. To me both phones performed pretty much the same, if you want I'll pop open the web cam and I'll flick through my phone opening and closing apps and you won't see any stutter. It's possible the HTC One stutters even rarer, but I'd sort of expect it to, because the S4 is doing a lot more intensive and intelligent stuff on the software front.

HAHAHHAHAHA

nib95

Banned
More lag is more lag, if it's carrier bloatware possibly causing it (which hasn't been proven, just a theory of yours), then it's still a problem unless you root. As far as benchmark tests, I think we all know that depending on the test involved the One can actually beat the S4, unless we're talking about the octocore processor. Not sure which version he has available to him.

The higher ppi is a sharper screen, it's just a pro of the phone. It either is or it isn't.

As for the colour accuracy. Some people prefer the accuracy of the One, so it's definitely up in the air. It's not about what people read on a meter, it's about what looks good.

All in all, as I stated, having something good or bad on paper means nothing. It's using the actual phones that will help him.

Edit: did you just write that the S4 is doing "more intelligent stuff" in the background? lol give me a break.

If you read through this thread, most owners of the S4 have mentioned they haven't really noticed any lag. It's been more the non owners and a couple of reviews that have mentioned it. I'm in the UK so I can't speak for the US phone's, but my Vodafone one barely ever stuttered. Now with stock firmware it's an even rarer occurrence. Basically the same as the iPhone 5, S3 etc (I'm also a 4S and S3 user).

A higher ppi is not much of a pro if there's no way you could possibly ever discern the ppi difference. It's physically impossible unless you're using a magnifying glass, so what's the point in bringing it up? Screen size on the other hand is an actual useable benefit.

Colour accuracy wise, I'll have to disagree somewhat. I'd agree if you said colour reproduction was a personal taste, because it is. But colour accuracy is not. To be colour accurate you'd want as close to 6500k as possible, and with 0 cd/m2 black level etc. Currently the iPhone 5 has the most accurate colours, but now the S4 sits closely behind, only with better black levels and contrast.

And yes, the S4 absolutely can have more intelligent stuff running in the background. When the HTC One can do stuff like split screen multitasking, air gestures and previews, eye and hand tracking for answering calls or scrolling, all manner of health readings and calculations or whatever, then get back to me. I'm not saying everyone will find use in these things (many might consider them gimmicks), but they're certainly more taxing than the standard affair of features. Whether you have use for Photoshop or not, there's no doubt it's a more taxing piece of software than say something like a calculator.

Zabka

The S4's humidity sensor is pretty accurate, I'll give it that. Only 1% difference from my hygrometer.

The thing that pushed me towards the S4 was the buttons. The side lock button with 3 buttons on the bottom (without having to monkey with the phone) just felt better to me when I tried both out.

Killing the Samsung weather widget fixed most of the noticeable stuttering I had. That thing looks nice but it's a piece of shit.

If you read through this thread, most owners of the S4 have mentioned they haven't really noticed any lag. It's been more the non owners and a couple of reviews that have mentioned it. I'm in the UK so I can't speak for the US phone's, but my Vodafone one barely ever stuttered. Now with stock firmware it's an even rarer occurrence. Basically the same as the iPhone 5, S3 etc (I'm also a 4S and S3 user).

A higher ppi is not much of a pro if there's no way you could possibly ever discern the ppi difference. It's physically impossible unless you're using a magnifying glass, so what's the point in bringing it up? Screen size on the other hand is an actual useable benefit.

Colour accuracy wise, I'll have to disagree somewhat. I'd agree if you said colour reproduction was a personal taste, because it is. But colour accuracy is not. To be colour accurate you'd want as close to 6500k as possible, and with 0 cd/m2 black level etc. Currently the iPhone 5 has the most accurate colours, but now the S4 sits closely behind, only with better black levels and contrast.

And yes, the S4 absolutely can have more intelligent stuff running in the background. When the HTC One can do stuff like split screen multitasking, air gestures and previews, eye and hand tracking for answering calls or scrolling, all manner of health readings and calculations or whatever, then get back to me. I'm not saying everyone will find use in these things, but they're certainly more taxing than the standard affair of features.

Hahahaha those so called intellegant stuff doesn't even work in a dim resturant setting...I watch my friend try showing me the functions and was kinda embarrass it. took multiple tries to make it work...

nib95

Banned
Hahahaha those so called intellegant stuff doesn't even work in a dim resturant setting...I watch my friend try showing me the functions and was kinda embarrass it. took multiple tries to make it work...

I'm using several of them every day, and I've never had an issue with using any of them except one single instance where air preview in gallery was acting a bit strange. I just find it increasingly amusing that most of the complaints about so called issues with the device in here are from owners of competitor products lol.

I'm using several of them every day, and I've never had an issue with using any of them except one single instance where air preview in gallery was acting a bit strange. I just find it increasingly amusing that most of the complaints about so called issues with the device in here are from owners of competitor products lol.

I'm actually was going to get the s4 too...but now will get the s4 active instead....the thing is I am complaining cause I'm dissapointed.

Your s4 must be one of a kind...the most perfect s4.

No lag and every functions works perfectly.

reKon

Banned

Really though, those eye tracking related features don't work well in low light

nib95

Banned
I'm actually was going to get the s4 too...but now will get the s4 active instead....the thing is I am complaining cause I'm dissapointed.

Your s4 must be one of a kind...the most perfect s4.

No lag and every functions works perfectly.

You have a habit of putting words in people's mouths, either that or a low level of reading comprehension. I've never claimed my S4 is completely free from lag or works perfectly, quite the contrary. All high end phones lag on rare occasion, to say anything less would be a bold faced lie.

Also what are you disappointed about exactly? It's solid upgrade in nearly every single aspect. Only negative really is that it's not made of metal...but that's a matter of personal opinion, and where one's requirements or preferences for removable memory and battery come in to play (which is projected as being one of the main reasons Samsung did not go metal unibody, aside from cutting down costs).

Really though, those eye tracking related features don't work well in low light

Probably. I've never used them in pitch black or really dark scenario's or anything, but I do routinely use them in low light conditions, and at least in the conditions I use them, they work fine.

You have a habit of putting words in people's mouths, either that or a low level of reading comprehension. I've never claimed my S4 is completely free from lag or works perfectly, quite the contrary. All high end phones lag on rare occasion, to say anything less would be a bold faced lie.

Also what are you disappointed about exactly? It's solid upgrade in nearly every single aspect. Only negative really is that it's not made of metal...but that's a matter of personal opinion, and where one's requirements or preferences for removable memory and battery come in to play.

Because you keep dismissing the fact that the s4 lag by keep saying that all phones lag, the thing is regardless how you spin it...the s4 shouldn't lag the way it does.

I know I know the lag ain't too bad...but it is there...more obvious than One. I've experience it first hand and plus reviews site also state that it's not as smooth as the One.

believe it or not i was leaning toward the s4 in the begining. I'm coming from an s3 and one x. The One is a major jump from both. The s4 looks like the s3 and touchwiz seems uglier cause of the better screen of s4.

At least the s4 active has something diffrent to offer, so I'll be leaning towards that instead.

Right now the One is errr.. one of a kinda. It special and there might not be another one like it.
The galaxy line will live on and will have better software on the next model.
From a person who constantly change phones....The One is an opportunity that can't be miss. While the S4, you can just wait for a few months till a better S5 comes along.

javac

A lot of bickering going in here. It's really unnecessary. We get it you have boomsound and no lag. That's great but no need to shit all over the s4. "Intelligent features? Hahaha." What's that all about?

Because you keep dismissing the fact that the s4 lag by keep saying that all phones lag, the thing is regardless how you spin it...the s4 shouldn't lag the way it does.

I know I know the lag ain't too bad...but it is there...more obvious than One. I've expirience it first hand and plus reviews site also state that it's not as smooth as the One.

believe it or not i was leaning toward the s4 in the begining. I'm coming from an s3 and one x. The One is a major jump from both. The s4 looks like the s3 and touchwiz seems uglier cause of the better screen of s4.

At least the s4 active has something diffrent to offer, so I'll be leaning towards that instead.

nah, you just keep using 'lag' as a catchphrase. it's the new 'plastic', just tossed about in a meaningless fashion without reason. it's funny too because for all of the reviewers talking about lag, in the video reviews, they seem to just say "well, it's not lagging right now, but it does happen, i swear!", not that i doubt them, but they should really do a side-by-side with the One and expose the GS4's lag...

if it's about what people think looks good, then the GS4 wins on default settings.

if it's about what people read on a meter then the GS4 wins on Movie setting.

if it's about personal preference, we can wait for sales metrics...

Rather than debate over something which I know to be true, I'd rather just show you.

I made a video of rough browsing and consecutive opening and closing of apps. As you can see, no lag or stuttering. If you want me to test anything in particular, just let me know.

Samsung Galaxy S4 | Searching for lag | For Shinshoryuken

there's no really point in doing that cause of youtubes frame rate.

BTW...WhatsApp..looked like it lagged =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IipDdxCTPKo#t=29s

The things is im very sensitive to lag...

Im actually the person who first discovered the difference of input lag in Street fighter 4 on PS3 vs Xbox 360.....I was basically the monitor tech guru on Shoryuken.com

nib95

Banned
there's no really point in doing that cause of youtubes frame rate.

BTW...WhatsApp..looked like it lagged =P

It loaded 31 conversation threads and groups lol. That's not lag, that's the half a second or second it takes to load an app. Remember, that is from having the memory cleared, so if anything it's astonishingly fast.

Also, since Jelly Bean, transitions, menu's etc have been running 60fps. So it wouldn't make a difference, if anything it'd look smoother if the vid were 60fps. There's no stutter to be seen.

P.S, another speed comparison cropped up, this time web browsing.

SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 VS HTC ONE BROWSING SPEED COMARISON

Same results as the last one, S4 seemingly faster and smoother. HTC One has quicker scrolling however (the S4's seems to have less acceleration, but both are silky smooth). I should add, the S4's web browser is quicker whilst also having eye scrolling and air preview (web browser feature) on in the background.

Top Bottom