• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

otapnam

got my s4 finally, everythings great so far.

Only thing is the messages are going to my email as well, does anyone know how to shut it off? i tried the settings and wasnt able to find anything

EDIT: NM found it! its under accounts > email account > settings > more settings > sms sync

Pandemic

Anyone able to tell me if it's worth changing from the iPhone 4S to the Samsung Galaxy S4? I'm sort of over the iPhone, and wouldn't mind a nice change, but then again i have a lot of apps on my iPhone....

bigosc2k

Banned
Went to Sprint store to get my number separated from the family account, while waiting I got to play with both GS4 and HTC One and I'm really loving the S4 can't wait to own the phone next Friday.

Anyone able to tell me if it's worth changing from the iPhone 4S to the Samsung Galaxy S4? I'm sort of over the iPhone, and wouldn't mind a nice change, but then again i have a lot of apps on my iPhone....

My wife was an iPhone 4 user and converted to an Galaxy S3 user. She got used to it in less than a week.

The headphones that came with my s4 already broke (one side went out)
do you think I would be able to go back to AT&T and get a new one?

Hasney

I've enjoyed it. If you go into a store and play around with the Galaxy S4 you look back at your 4S and the screen just seems so lacking. I had to carry around both phones for a bit until my number was transferred over and looking at the 4S was just such a weird experience.

As for the buttload of apps, I had the same since I had been in the iOS ecosystem for a 3G, 4 and 4S. I find myself happy to be free of the clutter though and have gone down just to the apps I actually use.

Everyone's experience will be different, but as far as apps go. All the free ones will be in the Google Play store and there were only 1 or 2 paid apps that I actually used that I just re-bought on Android.

At the end of the day, most of the apps I paid for I never even used anymore so it didn't matter.

.GqueB.

Banned

Depends on the apps you love I'd say. Take the ones you actually use and see if there's an android equivalent direct or otherwise. I'm not a big app user personally but when I did want something, I rarely (if ever) had trouble finding what I needed.

try it out in-store to get a feel for it. don't worry about becoming familiar, just test out the hand feel and basic navigation.

Just get a new pair, I'm guessing the one that came with your phone were not amazing quality.

they're the best bundled headphones in any flagship.

TxdoHawk

No one can really answer this for you. It really is up to you and what you can comfortably give up.

Personally, what I do is keep an Android phone and an iPad for a tablet...this gives access to both ecosystems, but it's not the perfect solution for everybody.

Consider the following:

- Are you the kind of person that likes to tinker extensively with your phone? Android is a platform that rewards people with the patience to dig into it. If you are more interested in a phone that "just works", iOS may be more suitable for your needs.

- How do you feel about mobile gaming? iOS is the favored platform for mobile gaming, and while Android gets more love nowadays, many ports come later and aren't always as well-optimized (due to having to deal with so many platforms and hardware configurations.)

- Do you use Google services extensively? The more you've bought into the Google ecosystem, the more an Android phone makes sense.

- Are you the kind of person who's disappointed when an app isn't out first on the platform of your choice? iOS attracts a lot of developers for several reasons, and often is the launch platform for a new mobile app. (see Vine and Instagram for recent examples.)

- Are there certain kinds of apps you'd completely lose hopping from one OS to the other? For example, the majority of music production applications are on iOS, due to the focus on low-latency audio.

These are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself.

EvilPengy

Banned
Loving my S4, got it in White from 3 UK just over a week ago. For black I'd have to wait till the 10th May and it really didnt bother me which colour I got, so long as I got it. Also got a nice Spigen Ultra slim fit case in White for it too from Amazon, really nice quality!

Only problem I've had is that Vice City can get really really choppy at points. Anyone else been playing Vice City on their S4 and have similar issues? Or is it that Vice City isn't optimised for the S4, I emailed Rockstar about it, see whether they know about it. Heard it also had issues on the HTC One too.

Fatalah

9rUfxN4.jpg

What's the name of this case?

Update: Nevermind, just found it.

Pandemic

Thanks everyone for the responses, appreciate it.

My wife was an iPhone 4 user and converted to an Galaxy S3 user. She got used to it in less than a week.

Sweet, it'd probably be the same for me.

I've enjoyed it. If you go into a store and play around with the Galaxy S4 you look back at your 4S and the screen just seems so lacking. I had to carry around both phones for a bit until my number was transferred over and looking at the 4S was just such a weird experience.

As for the buttload of apps, I had the same since I had been in the iOS ecosystem for a 3G, 4 and 4S. I find myself happy to be free of the clutter though and have gone down just to the apps I actually use.

Exactly, the iPhone looks so bland compared to the S4, and since I use my mobile a lot, it'd be good to look at something that looks sick.

Everyone's experience will be different, but as far as apps go. All the free ones will be in the Google Play store and there were only 1 or 2 paid apps that I actually used that I just re-bought on Android.

At the end of the day, most of the apps I paid for I never even used anymore so it didn't matter.

Yeah, I'll go have a quick browse through the Google Play store and see what they have, thanks.

Depends on the apps you love I'd say. Take the ones you actually use and see if there's an android equivalent direct or otherwise. I'm not a big app user personally but when I did want something, I rarely (if ever) had trouble finding what I needed.

Yeah, I'll go have a look, thanks.

try it out in-store to get a feel for it. don't worry about becoming familiar, just test out the hand feel and basic navigation.

they're the best bundled headphones in any flagship.

Might head in-store tomorrow and check it out. The S3 felt great though.

No one can really answer this for you. It really is up to you and what you can comfortably give up.

Personally, what I do is keep an Android phone and an iPad for a tablet...this gives access to both ecosystems, but it's not the perfect solution for everybody.

Consider the following:

- Are you the kind of person that likes to tinker extensively with your phone? Android is a platform that rewards people with the patience to dig into it. If you are more interested in a phone that "just works", iOS may be more suitable for your needs.

- How do you feel about mobile gaming? iOS is the favored platform for mobile gaming, and while Android gets more love nowadays, many ports come later and aren't always as well-optimized (due to having to deal with so many platforms and hardware configurations.)

- Do you use Google services extensively? The more you've bought into the Google ecosystem, the more an Android phone makes sense.

- Are you the kind of person who's disappointed when an app isn't out first on the platform of your choice? iOS attracts a lot of developers for several reasons, and often is the launch platform for a new mobile app. (see Vine and Instagram for recent examples.)

- Are there certain kinds of apps you'd completely lose hopping from one OS to the other? For example, the majority of music production applications are on iOS, due to the focus on low-latency audio.

These are the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself.
Point one seems like me, I definitely like diving into technology and exploring its features and settings.

That's what I was thinking of doing. I'd just use my iPhone for any apps/games that aren't on the Play store, so it's not that big of an issue. Lately I haven't played many games either.

So I'm in the Apple walled garden, have an iPhone 5, iPad, iMac. I'm thinking of getting an S4 after all the seemingly glowing reviews. I've had an iPhone since 2007. I tried android when the first droid came out but didn't like it. It seems with Jelly bean and the S4 the OS is now a more seamless experience. Plus the S4 has so many goodies to play with :)

My only concern is my music collection. Right now I purchase music from iTunes and love how the music downloads to all my devices. I still want to continue to do this, how would I get music onto the S4? Also is there a service comparable to iTunes Match on android?

So I'm in the Apple walled garden, have an iPhone 5, iPad, iMac. I'm thinking of getting an S4 after all the seemingly glowing reviews. I've had an iPhone since 2007. I tried android when the first droid came out but didn't like it. It seems with Jelly bean and the S4 the OS is now a more seamless experience. Plus the S4 has so many goodies to play with :)

My only concern is my music collection. Right now I purchase music from iTunes and love how the music downloads to all my devices. I still want to continue to do this, how would I get music onto the S4? Also is there a service comparable to iTunes Match on android?

well, you can either sync your music with your Mac via doubleTwist or iSyncr (to name a couple) which will sync your iTunes music to your Android device or you can install Google Music Manager for Mac and have it automatically sync your music to ~~the cloud~~

also, i think Samsung makes a Mac version of their Samsung device specific sync software.

oooooorrrrrrr you could just drag and drop it manually, but some people don't like doing that.

Amazon also has a cloud/matching service.

Weenerz

Banned
Just got back with my S4, holy shit it is sexy, doesn't feel cheap plastic-ish at all. Best part? AT&T rep said I was going to keep my unlimited and we have LTE in our area, WOOT WOOT WOOT!

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I'm having a hard time finding an HDMI adapter. My last Motorola phone used micro HDMI just fine, so I wish they would have added it on this one. Ah well, they'll be available soon (or already), and I've still got my N10 and my old phone.

Blackhead

Redarse
I spent some time with a S4 and couldn't find the options for quick controls and airview hover (not web magnify) for the default Internet Browser. Am I right in concluding that those features aren't included? Web magnify is actually nifty but without those two aforementioned features Touchwiz has lost what little appeal it had for me :/

well, you can either sync your music with your Mac via doubleTwist or iSyncr (to name a couple) which will sync your iTunes music to your Android device or you can install Google Music Manager for Mac and have it automatically sync your music to ~~the cloud~~

also, i think Samsung makes a Mac version of their Samsung device specific sync software.

oooooorrrrrrr you could just drag and drop it manually, but some people don't like doing that.

Amazon also has a cloud/matching service.

If I were to purchase a track/album on the S4, is there a way to automatically send music to my Mac running iTunes (and that way the music can be synced with my other macs and ipad)?

Got my Galaxy S4 today and I'm already in love with it, such a huge upgrade from my knackered old HTC Hero. Spent most of my time with it playing Re-Volt (ah, nostalgia) and trying to make the home screen look presentable. I really like how customisable the whole appearance is;

cvGdsQW.png

Got my Galaxy S4 today and I'm already in love with it, such a huge upgrade from my knackered old HTC Hero. Spent most of my time with it playing Re-Volt (ah, nostalgia) and trying to make the home screen look presentable. I really like how customisable the whole appearance is;

cvGdsQW.png

Do those icons and styling come with touchwiz?

Do those icons and styling come with touchwiz?

Nah, I had to grab some programs off the app store - Apex launcher (which allows you to turn off the dock & notification bar, among other things, as well as run apps such as...), UCCW (which lets you create custom widgets or use ones downloaded from the store), the LinesClock custom widget, the minimalist icons pack and the StackD theme for UCCW.

Pandemic

Gahhh, so many tough choices. Just saw the HTC one in person, didn't get to fiddle around with it and I honestly don't know which one to choose.. Has anyone experienced both the S4 and HTC One in-depth and able to provide a quick summary of which is better? It'd be appreciated.

Volotaire

Gahhh, so many tough choices. Just saw the HTC one in person, didn't get to fiddle around with it and I honestly don't know which one to choose.. Has anyone experienced both the S4 and HTC One in-depth and able to provide a quick summary of which is better? It'd be appreciated.

Got one here, HTC One vs S4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIV1TRt0Bqk

Unbiased and gets to the point. But comprehensive as well.

EDIT: oops haven't experienced the handsets yet personally, but the reviewer doesn't dismiss either phone because its plasticky or gimmicky, she renders down all the features fairly.

This is literally one of the most stupidest comparison summaries I've seen. Up to 1/1000 of a point, wtf?

Yes yes it's all in jest, but I don't really appreciate Cnet as I did a few years back.

This Cnet one posted above is a pretty good look at both phones as well.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_...-s4-vs-htc-one-a-clash-of-two-android-titans/

Edit - the content of the review is much more helpful than the chart above.

Pandemic

Got one here, HTC One vs S4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIV1TRt0Bqk

Unbiased and gets to the point. But comprehensive as well.

EDIT: oops haven't experienced the handsets yet personally, but the reviewer doesn't dismiss either phone because its plasticky or gimmicky, she renders down all the features fairly.

This is literally one of the most stupidest comparison summaries I've seen. Up to 1/1000 of a point, wtf?

Yes yes it's all in jest, but I don't really appreciate Cnet as I did a few years back.

This Cnet one posted above is a pretty good look at both phones as well.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_...-s4-vs-htc-one-a-clash-of-two-android-titans/

Edit - the content of the review is much more helpful than the chart above.

Appreciate all those reviews, but unfortunately it hasn't shoved me off the fence. I'm still undecided :(

Macmanus

Nah, I had to grab some programs off the app store - Apex launcher (which allows you to turn off the dock & notification bar, among other things, as well as run apps such as...), UCCW (which lets you create custom widgets or use ones downloaded from the store), the LinesClock custom widget, the minimalist icons pack and the StackD theme for UCCW.

So apparently I'm completely stupid when it comes to UCCW. I have no idea how to adjust things like what certain icons should launch - or even how to set up specific zones and preferences to display proper weather information. Where can I find the applicable knowledge?

So apparently I'm completely stupid when it comes to UCCW. I have no idea how to adjust things like what certain icons should launch - or even how to set up specific zones and preferences to display proper weather information. Where can I find the applicable knowledge?

I pretty much just followed this tutorial (albeit, using a different skin);

http://theartist.mycolorscreen.com/2013/04/22/carbona-ui-tutorial/

UCCW seems really complicated, so I found it far easier to download pre-made skins & widgets for UCCW from the store.

Top Bottom