• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Macmanus

He missed a TON of pros for the One (including optical image stabilizer, sharper screen, better colour accuracy -he was wrong about the S4 being better, less lag on main screen, 32gb as standard, HTC sense isn't simpler, it's cleaner). Anyway, I could go on but instead don't listen to any of us. Go into a store a try them both out. Your decision should be based on how you prefer using both phones. Not someone else's (possibly bias) opinion.

If you care enough about your smartphone to visit forums, you can take the two seconds to download a vastly superior free launcher than Sense. Also stating a 32gb model as standard over a micro sd card is mildly misleading.

One bullet point that isn't being brought up in favor of the One though is simply price. The One is is flat out cheaper.

Edit: I hadn't experienced a lick of lag with my G4 and then I've read this thread. So I tried thumbing through all my apps as fast as I possibly could with Alpha turned on and noticed lag. Is their actual lag during normal people use, or just stress test lag?

Volotaire

If you care enough about your smartphone to visit forums, you can take the two seconds to download a vastly superior free launcher than Sense. Also stating a 32gb model as standard over a micro sd card is mildly misleading.

One bullet point that isn't being brought up in favor of the One though is simply price. The One is is flat out cheaper.

Edit: I hadn't experienced a lick of lag with my G4 and then I've read this thread. So I tried thumbing through all my apps as fast as I possibly could with Alpha turned on and noticed lag. Is their actual lag during normal people use, or just stress test lag?

You're probably noticing it now because people have mentioned it. Happens all the time in life.

Rather than debate over something which I know to be true, I'd rather just show you.

I made a video of rough browsing and consecutive opening and closing of apps. As you can see, no lag or stuttering. If you want me to test anything in particular, just let me know.

Samsung Galaxy S4 | Searching for lag | For Shinshoryuken

LOL

EDIT: I'm LOL at the argument

Hasney

I still haven't noticed any lag, bar a pause when hitting the home button that is just a touch too long for me. My phone did come unbranded though.

Anyone know how to use the phone as a contactless payment device? I tried searching around, but I can't find any answers.

Does anyone else is getting a green line on the left of the screen during the first boot sequence (when Galaxy S IV I9505 is displayed) ?

Should I worry about this bug ?
My phone is working perfectly and I love it but this small little thing just itches my panaroid mind.

One pro's

-Better build materials (aluminium unibody over polycarbonate)
-Better speakers
-LCD (brighter, more accurate whites)
-HTC Sense (simpler)
-Better low light photo's
-Slightly better video recording

S4 pro's

-Bigger screen Doesn't have to be a pro
-Slimmer, lighter with smaller bezelsDoesn't have to be a pro
-AMOLED (perfect blacks and higher contrast, greater viewing angles, better colour accuracy in movie mode) Does't have to be a pro. HTC One has nearly 180 degree viewing angles
-TouchWiz (more feature rich) Is this seriously a pro?
-Better camera overall (9mp extra, better colour accuracy, more detail in good to decent light)
-Better battery life overall Not true
-Removable battery
-Micro SD card slot for expandable memory
-Faster processor and gpu
-Gorilla Glass 3 instead of 2

lol@ the pro's

Blackhead

Redarse
I would say that the bigger screen is a pro for some people but not all, but on a phone that is the same size as the One, it's beneficial. That's all I contend with on your comments.

But then you might as well add

One's pros

-smaller screen higher ppi and easier to use with one/smaller hands

?

Volotaire

But then you might as well add

One's pros

-smaller screen higher ppi and easier to use with one/smaller hands

?

The higher ppi cannot be noticed by the majority of people who use the phone really, or they are not used to noticing the differences with on that scale of difference. And the easier to use with one hand is not true because the S4 and the One are the same size dimensions(in all intents and purposes). In fact the One might feel a bit more slippery in some people's environments. Moreover the One apparently has a more awkward design for the power button and volume rocker in regards to ergonomics. Of course, I cannot comment as I have not experienced either handsets.

Blackhead

Redarse
The higher ppi cannot be noticed by the majority of people who use the phone really, or they are not used to noticing the differences with on that scale of difference. And the easier to use with one hand is not true because the S4 and the One are the same size dimensions(in all intents and purposes). In fact the One might feel a bit more slippery in some people's environments. Moreover the One apparently has a more awkward design for the power button and volume rocker in regards to ergonomics. Of course, I cannot comment as I have not experienced either handsets.

Good points all around (although, even if the device dimensions are the same, the screen size will still matter for navigating the UI with one-handed use). In the same vein, will people really notice the size difference when watching a movie of these 4.7"/4.9" screens? For all intents and purposes... Meh why am I wasting my morning thinking about these minute margins between devices lol

Volotaire

Good points all around (although, even if the device dimensions are the same, the screen size will still matter for navigating the UI with one-handed use). In the same vein, will people really notice the size difference when watching a movie of these 4.7"/4.9" screens? For all intents and purposes... Meh why am I wasting my morning thinking about these minute margins between devices lol

Haha good point, to most people these differences won't matter at all. Best to just try it in store and see what you like.

lol@ the pro's

you should relax considering 'better build materials' was given as a Pro to the One despite the lower build quality and death grip issues that came along with it. and then there's the whole 'better low light photos' pseudo-stacking joke subcategory. might as well add random sub-category stuff like "better audio codec support" and "better video codec support" and "better hands free navigation" to the S4.

Tested out the camera in the garden earlier today - not the best shots, but I was impressed by how accurate the colours are;

4a1U0Wc.jpg

p6Gs3Gs.jpg

MgadgV0.jpg

Very much liking the phone so far, although the battery life could be better.

IJoel

I hate you.

Lol! Sorry, I couldn't resist. The 32GB actually came out today at AT&T. Interesting that when I went to pick it up, the salesman tried to sell me an Optimus G Pro.

I upgraded from an IPhone 4 and the difference is quite significant. The screen is outstanding. The one thing that took me a little by surprise is how light it feels (and by consequence, somewhat fragile).

Pandemic

Hey everyone, quick question. Is it true that the S4 isn't good for people that are new to Android? Ie. people going from an iPhone to an Android phone?

Thanks.

is my friend's GS4 smart cover thingy not installed correctly? it doesn't lay flat.

roller.jpg

I put these on people's phones for them a lot. I can almost guarantee that the battery cover isn't on right. Check the part of the flap that's connected to the battery cover. I bet it needs to be clicked in. You can only see it when the flap is fully open.

Pandemic

Fuck, I'm so indecisive.

I went in store to have a look at both phones, and I can't decide which one. They had both the HTC One and GS4 on show. The HTC, you could play around with and it felt really nice, the menus and stuff were awesome. I was going to play around with the Samsung Galaxy but they had the fake screen with just the menu on it, so you couldn't play around with it.

I played around with the S3 and it felt pretty good too, not as good as the HTC, but it was still good. Hate being indecisive..

Chopper

I've had my S4 for about 24 hours now. I'm loving it, but am unable to actually use it as a phone because O2 are yet to activate my new SIM. Apparently it should take 2-24 hours, but it's been over that now. My provider's customer service line is closed for the weekend, and in the meantime I have to carry around my old phone (which has my old, still-active, non-micro SIM in it) just to make/receive calls/messages. Very frustrating.

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to speed the process up, or do you think there's been an error somewhere along the line?

Can anyone recommend a nice cover for this bad little boy?

Also, the HTC one is so over-rated on here its not even funny. I played with one in the shop, its cool but little else. The aluminium housing actually made it feel cheap surprisingly. I'm sure a couple of the loud ones on here are blatant shills.

Also, the HTC one is so over-rated on here its not even funny. I played with one in the shop, its cool but little else. The aluminium housing actually made it feel cheap surprisingly. I'm sure a couple of the loud ones on here are blatant shills.

Yeah HTC crazyness is funny. We already got a significant performance update from Samsung (yes, one that we shouldn't have needed in the first place to fix the UI lag, but point is we got one already)

I have this case from Elago in green

G7SM_Banner.jpg

Or your opinion sucks? You are one of very, very few people with thinks the aluminium makes it look "cheap". In fact, maybe the only one lol

Are all the reviewers shills too? ALL of them?

Or your opinion sucks? You are one of very, very few people with thinks the aluminium makes it look "cheap". In fact, maybe the only one lol

Are all the reviewers shills too? ALL of them?

You sound mad. I'm talking about the people who feel compulsed to mention it incessantly in a thread about the S4. Anything else you don't understand?

You sound mad. I'm talking about the people who feel compulsed to mention it incessantly in a thread about the S4. Anything else you don't understand?

Mad? Did my "lol" make you think that? A bit odd.

You were talking about the look, feel and general appearance of the One based on the aluminum. The fact that you stated it was over-rated on here had nothing to do with "people who feel compulsed to mention incessantly in this thread".

Seems you're the one not understanding your own posts.

Maybe you should slow down a little?

Mad? Did my "lol" make you think that? A bit odd.

You were talking about the look, feel and general appearance of the One based on the aluminum. The fact that you stated it was over-rated on here had nothing to do with "people who feel compulsed to mention incessantly in this thread".

Seems you're the one not understanding your own posts.

Maybe you should slow down a little?

No, I wasn't. Read my post again (maybe twice) then come back to me.

I'm finally going to get a smart phone. I'm trying to decide between this or iphone 5. Anyone here own both at some point and can throw some opinions my way :D?

I'm leaning towards S4 simply b/c of the expandable memory.

I'm finally going to get a smart phone. I'm trying to decide between this or iphone 5. Anyone here own both at some point and can throw some opinions my way :D?

I'm leaning towards S4 simply b/c of the expandable memory.

I left iOS and moved to Android specifically because of the iPhone 5 actually. The screen dimensions on the 5 are just off IMO. I also find that iOS is getting stale, and while it does everything you want it to do, it's not a very exciting phone.

With an Android phone you can customize it to your hearts content and make it your own. Plus these new Android phones can do so much more than iPhones currently. Check them both out, but i'd never go back to iPhone at this point.

Top Bottom