• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

ive been sing an xperia zl for the last month and its okay. but i just got to try to s4 and boy its reallys amazing. i am desperate to get rid of my zl, i am willing to sell it for $40 i just want to get a galaxy s4.

$40, huh? Why do I find this hard to believe? How much did you pay for your ZL?

If you aren't ever going to leave the city, then you should be using T-Mobile anyways not Sprint. Sprint is total shit for data and everyone knows it, their 3G is slower than competitors' 2G. Sprint's roaming on Verizon's network doesn't apply to data in case you are wondering.

False, roaming includes internet (300mb or 500mb monthly cap, cant remember which).

Sprint is now averaging 1mb for 3G in many cities, ie, what you can expect from good 3G on any network.

I don't know what you mean, their LTE overlay is over their entire 3G/CDMA footprint. They don't have HSPA "fake 4G" to fall back on like AT&T and T-Mobile, that's why they have been so aggressive on rolling out LTE.

Again, false. Not every verizon tower will get 4G. That is a fact. Where do you get your ideas from?

And I don't even know what you are trying to FUD about with "upgrades to the tower". Verizon had to build out an entire new infrastructure to support LTE, which is an incompatible standard with CDMA2000. Verizon is the only company which is operating two mutually incompatible networks side-by-side except Sprint, everyone else are already operating on a GSM network and adding LTE to a base GSM network is much more trivial than what Verizon had to do.

To build 4G, you need two upgrades.

1) Tower tech/antenna
2) Back-haul

Verizon hasnt been working on part 2, which is why they were able to do it so quickly.

Good short term, terrible long term.

People ask why Sprint doesnt have 4G LTE in lower Manhattan, but is almost done with Houston. Its because the backhaul upgrades take 6+ month in dense cities. The inverse is the most rural of places, where getting fiber hooked up can also take an eternity. Verizon skipped that step.

The result? While Verizon had 40mb/s on day 1 of LTE.....theyll be at 5mb/s when everyone has an LTE phone and is barking up the same antenna.

And if you think that AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint LTE won't slow down when everyone gets on it, you're delusional. It happens that I'm in Seattle quite a lot and that was actually a Verizon LTE launch market, it's been years now and I still get crazy speeds there. So I don't know what you're FUDing about.

Thats correct, every network will see much lower average speeds than the technology max.

Please come back with facts next time.

sfedai0

Banned
ive been sing an xperia zl for the last month and its okay. but i just got to try to s4 and boy its reallys amazing. i am desperate to get rid of my zl, i am willing to sell it for $40 i just want to get a galaxy s4.

You drive a hard bargain, but I will take your ZL for 40.

j-wood

Man, I bought the S3 at best buy last night....after i got all my apps installed and setup, I noticed it had a dead pixel in the center screen...cannot be unseen :(

It's black too, which I assume means it's dead and not stuck right?

Nicktendo86

For what it's worth this is what I posted in the Android thread after a brief hands on with the S4 earlier:

So just got back to work after popping into an EE shop at lunch, had a quick fondle of the GS4.

They actually had two units, one white and one black but the white one was smashed. It looked like they tightened the little cradle that holds the demo phones in place too tight and it completely cracked the screen. Consequence of the smaller bezels perhaps? The phone was off so I had a go on the black one.

First impressions - meh. Didn't like the textured look on the plastic, I thought it looked tacky and a little off putting. It felt similar to the S3, plastic innit.

They seem to have made the space at the bottom with the back/menu/home buttons smaller to accommodate the bigger screen and I found it a little difficult to adjust my hand to reach. I do, admittedly, have fairly small hands but I find my GNexus perfect for size.

I didn't find any of the slowdowns or hiccups that people seem to mention so that was good. can I just say I hate touchwiz so much, it seems even worse than the S3. The drop drop sounds when you touch things was also so irritating, I turned that off on the store's phone to do everyone a favour.

The screen was gorgeous, I am AMOLED hater number one but it looked lovely. Very crisp and sharp, lovely colours. I was very aware though that they were a bit too much, I only remembered about the colour settings the phone has now when I left so I didn't try them. Personally I stil prefer the IPS screen of the N4.
I didn't have time to try many of the features, just tried smart scroll. I found it worse than useless, I had to move my whole head down to get it to scroll and I felt like a buffoon in the shop doing that.

Overall: very meh. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend this over a N4 or even, god forbid, an iPhone 5. It will sell gangbusters but Samsung need to town down touchwiz and improve their build materials.

sun-drop

noticed tonight the media sharing works alot better on the s4 over the s3.

the iR blaster is fucking cool, just sitting there in the notification try .. so it's instantly avail, no need for an app to load.

and also, when sending video to my 6000 series samsung tv ... you can home button and continue using the phone like normal, and the media will keep playing on my tv, the s3 would exit the app when you did the same thing.

TxdoHawk

Man, I bought the S3 at best buy last night....after i got all my apps installed and setup, I noticed it had a dead pixel in the center screen...cannot be unseen :(

It's black too, which I assume means it's dead and not stuck right?

I admittedly don't know Best Buy's specific policy on this, but you should be able to make an exchange no problem.

sun-drop

For what it's worth this is what I posted in the Android thread after a brief hands on with the S4 earlier:

So just got back to work after popping into an EE shop at lunch, had a quick fondle of the GS4.

They actually had two units, one white and one black but the white one was smashed. It looked like they tightened the little cradle that holds the demo phones in place too tight and it completely cracked the screen. Consequence of the smaller bezels perhaps? The phone was off so I had a go on the black one.

First impressions - meh. Didn't like the textured look on the plastic, I thought it looked tacky and a little off putting. It felt similar to the S3, plastic innit.

They seem to have made the space at the bottom with the back/menu/home buttons smaller to accommodate the bigger screen and I found it a little difficult to adjust my hand to reach. I do, admittedly, have fairly small hands but I find my GNexus perfect for size.

I didn't find any of the slowdowns or hiccups that people seem to mention so that was good. can I just say I hate touchwiz so much, it seems even worse than the S3. The drop drop sounds when you touch things was also so irritating, I turned that off on the store's phone to do everyone a favour.

The screen was gorgeous, I am AMOLED hater number one but it looked lovely. Very crisp and sharp, lovely colours. I was very aware though that they were a bit too much, I only remembered about the colour settings the phone has now when I left so I didn't try them. Personally I stil prefer the IPS screen of the N4.
I didn't have time to try many of the features, just tried smart scroll. I found it worse than useless, I had to move my whole head down to get it to scroll and I felt like a buffoon in the shop doing that.

Overall: very meh. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend this over a N4 or even, god forbid, an iPhone 5. It will sell gangbusters but Samsung need to town down touchwiz and improve their build materials.

what is so horrible re AMOLED .... i'm the opposite, i wont buy a phone that isn't amoled. pure black is everything to me.

and touch whiz .. why the hate? is it purely cosmetic? the drop drop sounds? seriously? you can change those in the sound menu to a load of others. launcher ..well i put nova on anything i buy anyways .. no root required there, it's just an app.

and IMHO .. touchwiz is BY far the least intrusive of any of the big android manufacturer skins ... you can get to the fuctions you need to way easier than sense, the task manager is stright up default jellybean ... and we all know the camera is the most fully functional one you'll find on any device ..

and the S features are not gimmicks ... next time you have food on yr fingers or whatever you'll be thankful for quick glance, and wave to answer, S-beam is still un-matched in terms of getting files to mates.

Anyone know if the Sprint version is a world phone (meaning can I put in an international sim card and use it outside the US on that nation's gsm network for calling)? Keep getting different answers from Sprint forums.

TxdoHawk

Overall: very meh. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend this over a N4 or even, god forbid, an iPhone 5.

At this point I wouldn't make a blanket recommendation on any Android phone, N4 S4 One or otherwise. It's really going to come down to what a person wants in a phone.

antispin

Is there a good index of Live Wallpapers? I want something simple and most of the online ones are busy stuff. A few active lines would be perfect, sort of like the relatively subtle stock live ones.

Try A Wave Live Wallpaper. My current favourite. Phase Beam is also good.

At this point I wouldn't make a blanket recommendation on any Android phone, N4 S4 One or otherwise. It's really going to come down to what a person wants in a phone.

This.

My brother's kids (4 and 5 years old) always play with his iPhone, going into the pictures, taking pictures, playing games, etc. I wouldn't recommend this phone to him because I dont' think his kids could navigate their way around it.

antispin

I strongly think Samsung should allow themes for TouchWiz. Would solve the majority of the issues people have with it. Functionally, I appreciate everything Samsung puts on top of stock. Some are gimmicky, like the hand waving and eye tracking but others are great, like the video player and camera.

Nicktendo86

what is so horrible re AMOLED .... i'm the opposite, i wont buy a phone that isn't amoled. pure black is everything to me.

and touch whiz .. why the hate? is it purely cosmetic? the drop drop sounds? seriously? you can change those in the sound menu to a load of others. launcher ..well i put nova on anything i buy anyways .. no root required there, it's just an app.

and IMHO .. touchwiz is BY far the least intrusive of any of the big android manufacturer skins ... you can get to the fuctions you need to way easier than sense, the task manager is stright up default jellybean ... and we all know the camera is the most fully functional one you'll find on any device ..

and the S features are not gimmicks ... next time you have food on yr fingers or whatever you'll be thankful for quick glance, and wave to answer, S-beam is still un-matched in terms of getting files to mates.

I dislike amoled due to the over saturated colours a d burn in problems, personally I prefer a GOOD LCD. I said though that I liked the screen on the S4, it is the best amoled I have seen.

Personally I can't stand touchwiz, it adds unneeded bloat to stock android and looks very messy. I wouldn't say all the s features are gimmicks but s scroll deffo was.

TouchWiz asthetics are only an issue if you've been with it for a long time. One of the reasons I left iOS is because of their asthetics. 6 years of iOS and you get sick of looking at the same old (un-moving) icons and menus. Its looking like iOS7 is going to get a face lift but it only took them 7 years.

Volotaire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIV1TRt0Bqk

Look at 7:32 for AMOLED vs LCD comparisons on HTC One and Galaxy S4

I have unlimited data right now with verizon. I'm thinking about getting the GS4. Now I can't decide whether or not keeping unlimited is worth paying $650+ tax for the GS4. Has anyone gone through this?

I'm in the same boat as you. I reviewed all of my account usage (data, texts, calls, etc) on the Verizon website and determined that our usage over the last 6 months and the amount of our current bill translates into the new plan structure with a 6 GB data cap.

I can live with that as the payment won't change much (may actually go down) and our average data usage has been between 4-5 GB.

I'd suggest reviewing all your stats on the Verizon site and then trying to figure out how that maps to the new plans and caps. I actually had a Verizon store rep tell me it's not worth it to lose my unlimited data, but based on what I look at I disagree.

Also, if you buy a new phone for full price at $650+ tax, that's a good $450 more than what you'll be paying with the subsidy (after rebate). That works out to $18.75/mo extra over two years. You could just put that $19-$20 toward a higher data cap and spend much less out of pocket today. That's my thoughts on the matter anyway. Obviously it really depends on how much data you currently use/need and how much you expect to use/need.

Edit - Unrelated to the above, but does anyone know if shortages of the S4 are likely at Verizon? I haven't preordered yet for a few reasons, but don't want to get screwed out of getting one by the 30th.

Takuan

Should be receiving an Exynos model next week. Didn't know it wasn't LTE-compatible, but I'm fine with HSPA. Coming from a GS2, should be a great upgrade.

sun-drop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIV1TRt0Bqk

Look at 7:32 for AMOLED vs LCD comparisons on HTC One and Galaxy S4

are we talking brightness levels ?

http://gizmodo.com/5995376/galaxy-s-iv-display-shoot+out-how-does-it-compare

basically it's sammys power management sw, in auto mode the brightness levels can go up to 34% over the max poss via the manual slider ..

either way i leav mine on auto and i never feel it's too dim .. but hey, maybe it's because i'm used to samsung brightness preferences ..

but for me, i spend most my time using my phone at night, because at work during the day, well i'm working .. and the one test for me is always this .... if the lights are out, and i hold my phone up ... if all i see is the object on screen ....and not the rest of the screen, and not the rest of the phone - then we have a winner..

oled can make objects appear as though they are floating in space in front of you because of perfect blacks. LCD grey fuzz is not attractive ..

imo

edit:

actually i can see what samsung have done here, they have intergrated the S3's camera's outdoor extreme brightness mode , right into the phones system wide auto-brightness feature. pretty good idea actually ...must burn through battery though. and the slider on the autobrightness allows you to modify to yr own tastes what brightness the phone should level too.

people say galaxy phones have too many options ... rubbish, sure they have a LOT of options, but the vast majority are there for reasons.

.GqueB.

Banned
I have unlimited data right now with verizon. I'm thinking about getting the GS4. Now I can't decide whether or not keeping unlimited is worth paying $650+ tax for the GS4. Has anyone gone through this?

Can you explain this further? I haven't been really following. Right now I have an old as bawls Droid incredible with unlimited data. I'd be upgrading to a GS4 so what (if anything) does that mean for my plan? I keep hearing things about this here and there but I haven't researched it.

TxdoHawk

Can you explain this further? I haven't been really following. Right now I have an old as bawls Droid incredible with unlimited data. I'd be upgrading to a GS4 so what (if anything) does that mean for my plan? I keep hearing things about this here and there but I haven't researched it.

Basically, you have two options if you are currently on VZW with unlimited data:

- If you want to keep your unlimited data, you have to pay retail price for a new phone, and all future phones you buy (assuming VZW doesn't change their policies at some point.)

- If you want to only pay the upgrade price for a new phone, you will be forced onto the newer data plans, where you will have to pay for a fixed amount of data.

As others have noted: If you use a large amount of data, it makes more sense to pay retail price for phones to keep the unlimited LTE. If you don't, the tiered plans make more sense. Log in to your account online, see how much data a month you use, figure out how much more/less you would pay a month if you bought a tiered data plan that fits your use, and make your decision from there.

.GqueB.

Banned
Basically, you have two options if you are currently on VZW with unlimited data:

- If you want to keep your unlimited data, you have to pay retail price for a new phone, and all future phones you buy (assuming VZW doesn't change their policies at some point.)

- If you want to only pay the upgrade price for a new phone, you will be forced onto the newer data plans, where you will have to pay for a fixed amount of data.

As others have noted: If you use a large amount of data, it makes more sense to pay retail price for phones to keep the unlimited LTE. If you don't, the tiered plans make more sense. Log in to your account online, see how much data a month you use, figure out how much more/less you would pay a month if you bought a tiered data plan that fits your use, and make your decision from there.

Woah, this is really good to know. Thanks so much.

VPhys

I wonder why Verizon is getting this phone last, I thought they were supposed to be the carrier with the most weight. May 30th is a long ways away.

I wonder why Verizon is getting this phone last, I thought they were supposed to be the carrier with the most weight. May 30th is a long ways away.

I check the website seemingly every day hoping it comes out sooner. I know it won't happen, but it doesn't stop me from checking anyway :)

My current phone is cracked to hell and I'm upgrade eligible tomorrow. It's terribly tempting to just jump to a Galaxy S3, but again, I know better and need to keep holding out for the S4.

Mesoian

This is what put my plans on buying a Note 2 on indefinite hold. For me, if the S4 is less than 700 dollars, It's worth it for me, else...I don't know.

But I'm going to smash this Thunderbolt with a god damn hammer once I get my new phone.

VPhys

Just came back from the store after seeing and holding both the S4 and HTC one. I'm still an HTC one diehard and would rather have that over the S4, but I walked away pleasantly surprised at the in hand feel of the S4. The first thing I noticed it is surprisingly thin, even thinner than the HTC one. But more importantly, the in hand feel of the S4 is not nearly as bad as galaxy nexus, even though they are both plastic the s4 feels a lot more comfortable to hold. Overall I walked way more content with my decision to get the S4, and it will do until Verizon decides to stop strong arming smaller manufacturers like HTC.

Weenerz

Banned
Going to go with black most likely, with it being an AMOLED screen, might hide the bezel a little easier when watching movies. Opinion?

nib95

Banned
I dislike amoled due to the over saturated colours a d burn in problems, personally I prefer a GOOD LCD. I said though that I liked the screen on the S4, it is the best amoled I have seen.

Personally I can't stand touchwiz, it adds unneeded bloat to stock android and looks very messy. I wouldn't say all the s features are gimmicks but s scroll deffo was.

Lol. I compared my S4 with an iPhone 5 yesterday and a lot of that time was spent on the screen. The S4 is actually less saturated to the naked eye on movie mode than the iPhone 5 on quite a lot of media. On certain images such as Avatars (blue Aliens from the movie), browsing through Facebook etc. Admittedly certain colours (red) seem slightly stronger on the S4, though overall it's not over saturated comparatively at all. I sincerely recommend any of you walk in to a store and set an S4 to movie mode and compare with an iPhone 5 yourself. Add to that, there are no burn in problems. So no idea where that one came from, at least on the S3/S4 anyway.

I find the LCD vs AMOLED comparison to be very reminiscent of Plasma vs LCD. The latter has better whites and is brighter, while AMOLED has better blacks (perfect blacks), contrast and viewing angles. Personally I'd take AMOLED all day, since to me black levels are one of the most important things in media viewing, and the screen modes (movie, Adobe RGB etc) exist for a reason.

Not sure why people are complaining about the interface of S4 or some features. And DAT SUPER AMOLED+ HD.....OMFG...that screen is fucking GORGEOUS. I'd even take S2's AMOLED over some glorified LCD screen any day.

C'mon, it's an Android...don't like the stock interface? change it. Don't like stock browser, change it. Don't like this or that, change it. Customize the shit out of it. I'm definitely rooting the phone and doing it to mine. I'm not that fond of TouchWiz either.

The flexibility is exactly why I chose Android over iOS. iOS is just too restrictive.

And damn, what about that 13 mp camera? it's a damn good camera for a phone. This 13mp camera itself pushed me to choose the S4 instead of the HTC One.

Top Bottom