• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

no, i mean like 2 years ago they had names like 'Samsung Captivate' and 'Samsung Stratosphere' and now their Android output seems to all have 'Galaxy' in the middle of the name.

Behold the Samsung W2013. Not Galaxy branded!

This is a real phone. That really is Jackie Chan. I saw that poster advertisement for this phone everywhere in China's cities on billboards. I actually saw a few people on the bus who had this abomination. The undying love for flip phones in East Asia continues to baffle me.

Behold the Samsung W2013. Not Galaxy branded!

This is a real phone. That really is Jackie Chan. I saw that poster advertisement for this phone everywhere in China's cities on billboards. I actually saw a few people on the bus who had this abomination. The undying love for flip phones in East Asia continues to baffle me.

yeah, that andits predecessor were discussed in the Android thread when they were announced. i'm not saying that *every* Samsung Android phone is tagged wiht Galaxy, just the vast majority of them, unlike a few years ago.

Volotaire

Do you guys think Galaxy S5 will have dual speakers like the HTC one?

No one knows, it's a year off so there will be plenty of protoypes. In reality, I don't think so. If the HTC One sells well, they will probably do it, they have to keep up with their competitors. Otherwise, nope.

how is this screen with dead pixels btw? i always worry about dead pixels when i buy expensive stuff :(

If you find dead pixels, you return it and exchange. Simple.

nib95

Banned
Just set up TV and Sky control with WatchOn. Works really well and is super easy to set up. It does more than just volume and channels, just swipe down and it has full TV guide, menu, record, pause, play, fast forward, colours etc. Pretty cool.

Futureman

is there something comparable to Apple TV to stream from the S4 to TV?

My friend wants to use the NBC Sports Live Extra app for NHL games and watch on TV. The app kept on force quitting on his phone the other night, but seems to work fine on my Galaxy Nexus.

Matugi

My friend wants to use the NBC Sports Live Extra app for NHL games and watch on TV. The app kept on force quitting on his phone the other night, but seems to work fine on my Galaxy Nexus.

I would think beam would, no?

Saad

Pre-ordered mine from Verizon, but they said they won't ship it before the 30th.
Can't wait to get rid of my Droid Charge.

there's an AllShare dongle, but it's cheaper to just get an MHL cable.

For all new users of the S4, the screen could be very easily broken by just a little drop. The glass would not crack easily (got a really little one who would not really bother me) but the screen will be a mess.
I think a case is a must buy. Didn't have the time to buy one before I broke mine but I think I will not use the new device without one.

I got a taste of this mighty phone for just five days and the wait for the new one will be so hard :(
The good thing is this would take care of the issue I mentioned earlier in this thread :p

I'm still a little warry about the insurance because I read so many horror stories on the web.
Does anyone here got a good experience with mobile insurance against accidental damage ?

Random question but has anyone noticed any scuffs around the camera area on their S4? If I put it down on a surface it's face down but my camera is scuffed already.

Could it be a protective film? I guess the only way to remove it is to take the back plate off?

Random question but has anyone noticed any scuffs around the camera area on their S4? If I put it down on a surface it's face down but my camera is scuffed already.

Could it be a protective film? I guess the only way to remove it is to take the back plate off?

are you sure it's not just the factory plastic?

Is there any reason not to preorder this from Verizon already if I've decided to pass on the S3 and Note 2? I mean, no new information should come out between now and then that changes the phone drastically or anything and even if it did I could just cancel the preorder, right?

Zabka

There's a plastic disc that is stuck to the back of the camera with a hole in the middle. Mine came off on its own.

My texts aren't going through to my girlfriend who also has an S4. I'm getting her texts but shes not getting mine.

And we are sending and receiving from other people just fine.

Nemesis_

Are those Elago cases really good? The only way to get one is to import it so it will take a few weeks (no more than two) but I do want something that is very slim and doesn't add much to the weight at all without cheapening the look of the phone.

Chopper

Is there a way to stop the ringtone starting out quiet for a couple of seconds, before bursting into song?! It was the same on the S2, and it's super annoying. I can't a way to deativate this "feature".

Also, I'm running Nova Launcher. Touchwiz is improved, but it hardly capitalizes on the ridonk screen.

Calmine

Just recently got the Neo-Hybrid case from Spigen and it's really nice here are some shots. Used old phone so pics aren't amazing.

ibbMsZ1G3BVKRJ.jpg

USB Port.

Headphone port.

Back

My girlfriend is still not receiving my texts.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Is there anything equivelant to "Reset Network Settings" like iOS has?

We contacted AT&T and they said everything looks good on their end.

We could create backups through Samsung Kies and reformat the phones, but when we reload out backups won't the problem still exist?

How do you take a screen shot with the G4?

Press and hold Power and Home key

VoxPop

Lol, yea they almost lost me. I was looking into Tmobile until I realized they pretty much make you pay retail for your phone.

Yeah, but there's no 2 year contract like AT&T/VZ/Sprint. Contract free is the way to go not to mention being able to change your phone anytime you want.

.GqueB.

Banned
wait, you realized that T-Mobile is giving you a great deal and decided that you wanted to pay out the ass instead?

Not fully seeing where the "deal" is personally.

Yeah, but there's no 2 year contract like AT&T/VZ/Sprint. Contract free is the way to go not to mention being able to change your phone anytime you want.

Yea but you're still paying for the phone over time (unless you pay it all at once) so you're still beholden to them in some way, no?

Not fully seeing where the "deal" is personally.

Yea but you're still paying for the phone over time (unless you pay it all at once) so you're still beholden to them in some way, no?
the deal *is* that you're paying for the phone.

with other carriers the subsidy is baked into the bill forever, whether you upgrade or not and you're locked in for 24 months. T-Mobile comes out to hundreds less than Verizon in every scenario. if you have good T-Mobile coverage in your area, you should seriously consider them.

and as far as the 0.0% APR loan on the handset is concerned. you can pay any amount above the minimum at any time.

.GqueB.

Banned

with other carriers the subsidy is baked into the bill forever, whether you upgrade or not and you're locked in for 24 months. T-Mobile comes out to hundreds less than Verizon in every scenario. if you have good T-Mobile coverage in your area, you should seriously consider them.

and as far as the 0.0% APR loan on the handset is concerned. you can pay any amount above the minimum at any time.

Hmmmmmmm. *rubs beard*. May look a little further into this. Just checked the coverage and they seem to be lacking in nyc (which is odd to me).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Yeah I was really considering this as I don't really need the latest and greatest phone, and 500MB of data would be sufficient for all but one of my phones, but I would get no 3G/4G and 'acceptable' 2G coverage where I live.

Top Bottom