• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Zabka

Hmmmmmmm. *rubs beard*. May look a little further into this. Just checked the coverage and they seem to be lacking in nyc (which is odd to me).

I've had better coverage in NYC after switching from AT&T. The only place LTE works right now is in subway stations though.

Yeah I was really considering this as I don't really need the latest and greatest phone, and 500MB of data would be sufficient for all but one of my phones, but I would get no 3G/4G and 'acceptable' 2G coverage where I live.

#1 rule = make sure you have good coverage. it's not a deal if you can't use it.

My girlfriend is still not receiving my texts.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Is there anything equivelant to "Reset Network Settings" like iOS has?

We contacted AT&T and they said everything looks good on their end.

We could create backups through Samsung Kies and reformat the phones, but when we reload out backups won't the problem still exist?

is she using the default messaging app? get her to check the blocked message settings.

TxdoHawk

Verizon shows leniency, moves up release date to May 23rd: http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/04/samsung-galaxy-s4.html

XbhYg96.jpg

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Could be but it's quite badly scuffed, I don't recall removing any film that was covering the camera either (if there was any). Today I realised that there was still film on the sides so I removed it.

I was freaking out until I realized it was a sticker when that happened to me.

Behold the Samsung W2013. Not Galaxy branded!

This is a real phone. That really is Jackie Chan. I saw that poster advertisement for this phone everywhere in China's cities on billboards. I actually saw a few people on the bus who had this abomination. The undying love for flip phones in East Asia continues to baffle me.

If they sold phones like that here I'd get a new phone
Assuming it's like pre 'smart' phone flip phones and will survive dozens of falls unscathed, is smaller and thicker to fit in my pocket comfortably and has a battery life of weeks instead of days.

I'm amused by your outrage btw,oh no their consumer fad is different from our consumer fad, let's get our consumer asses aligned against the evil otherworldly 'others' who worship a different brand/product.

So... I'm a Verizon customer. Do I pre-order my S4 on their site or do I wait for a potential $20-30 discount day 1 on Amazon's contract phones site? How did the S3's launch go on Amazon?

Weenerz

Banned
This is more of an iOS question but since I have an S4, I thought I'd ask here. People that use imessage are unable to send me text messages unless they turn off imessage. I have my spam settings unchecked, so I am not filtering anything, is there anything else I can check?

This is more of an iOS question but since I have an S4, I thought I'd ask here. People that use imessage are unable to send me text messages unless they turn off imessage. I have my spam settings unchecked, so I am not filtering anything, is there anything else I can check?

did you previously have an iPhone series mobile handset?

Uploading all my iTunes files to Google Music...god damn that took a long time! Didn't want to pay 35 bucks for a program so I had to burn a ton of CDs then re-rip them so stupid DRM could be removed. But I really like being able to play my library without needing to store it.

this is probably noob ass stuff compared to the other stuff mentioned in here though

nib95

Banned
Holy shit, that's awesome.

So is there some kind of compilation of all the little tricks like this one? If so, please point me in that direction. Thanks!

If you go in to settings > My device

The two main options are 'Motion and Gestures' and 'Air View'. If you click one of these, not the green on off tab on the right, but the actual title, then it will load each motion or air view option individually, which you can turn on/off on the right, or simply click the title again for a description and gif or video preview of the feature. Some even give you an option to test them.

My advice is to go through each one. You might be surprised at how many you end up using.

btrboyev

If you had an ipgone previously and still have it, you need to disable iMessage for your phone number. If you don't have the phone anymore you need to log into your apple id profile and unregister the old phone.

Apple has been a pain in the ass fixing this. iMessage is awesome, but this is a stupid bug that Apple needs to address.

If you had an ipgone previously and still have it, you need to disable iMessage for your phone number. If you don't have the phone anymore you need to log into your apple id profile and unregister the old phone.

Apple has been a pain in the ass fixing this. iMessage is awesome, but this is a stupid bug that Apple needs to address.

you want them to make it easy to leave?

On sale on Amazon $8.99.

Can't go wrong with that.

http://elagostore.com/images/G7SM_Banner.jpg[IMG]

[URL="Amazon Link"]Amazon Link[/URL]

Some colors $9.99[/QUOTE]

Are you pretty comfortable with the amount of protection it provides? I love the look and slimness, just curious how well it will actually protect in the event of a drop.

Are you pretty comfortable with the amount of protection it provides? I love the look and slimness, just curious how well it will actually protect in the event of a drop.

I wouldn't be comfortable with any case in a drop test unless its an Otterbox or a two-part case with rubber and plastic.

But this case covers the entire back and sides. Top and bottom are exposed, and you can lay the phone on its face and it won't scratch since it will sit off the surface a mm or two.

I wouldn't be comfortable with any case in a drop test unless its an Otterbox or a two-part case with rubber and plastic.

But this case covers the entire back and sides. Top and bottom are exposed, and you can lay the phone on its face and it won't scratch since it will sit off the surface a mm or two.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I think the price on this one will win out over the other one I was looking into.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYJXKDK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks slick and appears to offer more protection, but $30 is a bit much.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just got one of these because I was too sick of waiting on VZW to get the One. You win this time, VZW.

Now going to scour the thread to see if there are any accessories worth getting.

What is a good SD card to get? Never done the SD card thing before. I know apps can't be loaded onto it, but what about local Play music? (My biggest offender.)

TxdoHawk

Big Red should do me a solid and bump the release date another week. I had this weird experience yesterday where I tried to text someone with my Galaxy Nexus and the messages would repeatedly fail.

Then I tried calling her: it got stuck on "dialing" and wouldn't call out.

Then tried calling my voicemail: Nothing.

A reboot finally fixed the issue, but for a moment there I was wondering if I was going to have to break out the ol' Droid X until my S4 pre-order came in.

Mesoian

Uploading all my iTunes files to Google Music...god damn that took a long time! Didn't want to pay 35 bucks for a program so I had to burn a ton of CDs then re-rip them so stupid DRM could be removed. But I really like being able to play my library without needing to store it.

this is probably noob ass stuff compared to the other stuff mentioned in here though

I went with Amazon Cloud Player. Worked great, and ripped DRM out of 99% of my albums (I have 1 YMCK album that just won't upload no matter what).

Just got one of these because I was too sick of waiting on VZW to get the One. You win this time, VZW.

Now going to scour the thread to see if there are any accessories worth getting.

What is a good SD card to get? Never done the SD card thing before. I know apps can't be loaded onto it, but what about local Play music? (My biggest offender.)

pinned Play Music files are stored on internal memory.

i have this in my Note 2, several people in here have the same one in their GS4.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I really need an upgrade from my EVO. I'm about 90% positive I'm going to get the S IV, but a question or two. Is Amazon currently the cheapest place to find a new one? Is it difficult to set up a phone bought from the internet (only done in store)? How simple can I make this phones interface? I usually only have about 4 screens I use and even then, I'm trying to cut that down to 3 or 2.

Ok, I really need an upgrade from my EVO. I'm about 90% positive I'm going to get the S IV, but a question or two. Is Amazon currently the cheapest place to find a new one? Is it difficult to set up a phone bought from the internet (only done in store)? How simple can I make this phones interface? I usually only have about 4 screens I use and even then, I'm trying to cut that down to 3 or 2.

I dont know about the Amazon thing.

When you receive the phone, call your carrier (or I started up a Live Chat Messenger thing via the AT&T website.) Give them the IMEI Number and Sim Card number of the new phone and you're all set.

The interface gives you an Easy mode but its insulting. I think you can handle more than that. You don't have to add widgets and stuff to your home screens, just icons will do.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I dont know about the Amazon thing.

When you receive the phone, call your carrier (or I started up a Live Chat Messenger thing via the AT&T website.) Give them the IMEI Number and Sim Card number of the new phone and you're all set.

The interface gives you an Easy mode but its insulting. I think you can handle more than that. You don't have to add widgets and stuff to your home screens, just icons will do.

Well I'm on Sprint, so no SIM cards or anything. And with the screens, can I reduce the amount or is it a set amount of screens(similar to how HTC Sense has anywhere from 5-7 screens)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well I'm on Sprint, so no SIM cards or anything. And with the screens, can I reduce the amount or is it a set amount of screens(similar to how HTC Sense has anywhere from 5-7 screens)

If you want to reduce it, you can reduce it all the way to one screen only.

As someone coming up on the upgrade period from my 4S - can anyone tell me if Android has an answer to the iMessage feature on iPhone? I find iMessage to be incredibly convenient in certain situations where I don't have cell service (i.e., honeymoon in Jamaica) and didn't know if there was any comparable feature or app that could make losing this feature less painful. I assume Skype app would be an easy replacement for Facetime.

As someone coming up on the upgrade period from my 4S - can anyone tell me if Android has an answer to the iMessage feature on iPhone? I find iMessage to be incredibly convenient in certain situations where I don't have cell service (i.e., honeymoon in Jamaica) and didn't know if there was any comparable feature or app that could make losing this feature less painful. I assume Skype app would be an easy replacement for Facetime.

nope.

Top Bottom