• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Chopper

How the hell do I connect this thing to my PS3? I can't find the USB file sharing connection setting that I could use on my S2...

NZNova

Well I have to say I'm very happy with my G4. I thought about it for a long time before deciding to move on from my iphone 4 but I'm very pleased with the transition so far.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.tmonews.com/2013/05/sams...google-edition-galaxy-s-4-with-stock-android/

Hello giant rumor, but this one comes from Russell Holly over at Geek.com, an individual I believe would not post such a rumor just for the sake of getting the internet all riled up. According to Russell’s tipster, the “Google Edition” Galaxy S 4 is pretty much exactly what it sounds like…Galaxy S 4 hardware with stock Android software, right out of the box. The device is being developed as a way to address a group of users out in the wild that prefer stock Android on a smartphone that isn’t a Nexus.

The device is expected to be available sometime next month and available with…wait for it…drum roll…T-Mobile bands. In fact, T-Mobile is specifically stated in the source article as the carrier of choice:

This Google Edition S4 is expected to be made available starting in June and will be available on T-Mobile bands.

There’s no clear picture as to who will sell this and where, or for how much. It’s true that you can accomplish stock Android on the Galaxy S 4 with a simple install of CyanogenMod, but there’s still a niche willing to shell out the cash to get stock Android right out of the box.

TxdoHawk

Based on my experience with custom ROMs, I can totally understand why this would be appealing. Going through all the hassle of an install just to find out whatever version of whatever flavor you chose broke GPS, or the camera app crashes, or the devs replaced some random thing, or an app you use doesn't play nice, or the custom kernel they use causes issues...not that official releases are issue-free, of course.

I wonder, though: What's going to happen to all the neat Samsung-made stuff? Like, will stuff like S Health just not exist?

Pandemic

Done and done, ended up purchasing a SG4, $750, was able to get it reduced from $789. Thanks to everyone that assisted with pushing me off the fence in deciding between the S4 and HTC One. :p

Blackhead

Redarse
Well I was asking about an unlocked S4 and Samsung more than delivered: stock Android, direct from the Play store and updates by Google. Bloody hell.

Based on my experience with custom ROMs, I can totally understand why this would be appealing. Going through all the hassle of an install just to find out whatever version of whatever flavor you chose broke GPS, or the camera app crashes, or the devs replaced some random thing, or an app you use doesn't play nice, or the custom kernel they use causes issues...not that official releases are issue-free, of course.

I wonder, though: What's going to happen to all the neat Samsung-made stuff? Like, will stuff like S Health just not exist?

stock mean stock. none of that stuff will be on there, and a lot of it won't work without the TouchWiz Framework entensions that Samsung adds to their Android distributions.

TxdoHawk

stock mean stock. none of that stuff will be on there, and a lot of it won't work without the TouchWiz Framework entensions that Samsung adds to their Android distributions.

Kind of what I figured, and the glimpse of Quick Settings we got at the keynote confirms this.

Anyway, I'm happy this option exists, since I assume somebody's going to wind up slapping in different radios and making it work on all S4's...but I get the distinct impression something is inevitably going to keep me on TouchWiz, due to all the extra features.

Wads

Banned
On sale on Amazon $8.99.

Can't go wrong with that.

G7SM_Banner.jpg

Amazon Link

Some colors $9.99

Someone mentioned that this case can scratch the phone itself in the amazon review. Has anybody taken it off and had the same experience? Anybody else with case suggestions?

Someone mentioned that this case can scratch the phone itself in the amazon review. Has anybody taken it off and had the same experience? Anybody else with case suggestions?

I put this in the S3 thread. I cannot recommend this case enough and have no idea why people spend their money elsewhere. If you're looking for a minimal case that adds no bulk but still looks great and offers a decent layer of protection, buy a Rearth Ringke Slim and thank me later. It does not scratch your device. If you're careless and do not take care of your expensive gadgets, get an otterbox. This is for those who take great care of their phones but still want a thin layer of protection. I have used it on my S2, S3, Note and Note 2. I will continue using them in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUUIOS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nemesis_

I bought a case that wasn't this and the same thing happened :( Just the corners and subtely though.

Nemesis_

I've heard that Samsung didn't even send review units to sites that gave a few glowing reviews to the HTC One previously. Kind of weird :/

Madness

Ridiculous that mere weeks after everyone get their GS4, they announce it'll work like a Nexus and be available unlocked, with stock Android straight from the Google store.

Having used the GS3 for a year, and now on the GS4, I'd rather run stock Android than half the crop that comes with touchwiz. Not only does it take up so much space, but I'm one of the few who can discern the increased lag.

The only thing I like, is Samsung's camera software. Oh well. Should be interesting to see a review of how this google edition S4 stacks up to the TouchWiz mainstream one, especially with regards to battery life, space, performance etc.

Ridiculous that mere weeks after everyone get their GS4, they announce it'll work like a Nexus and be available unlocked, with stock Android straight from the Google store.

Having used the GS3 for a year, and now on the GS4, I'd rather run stock Android than half the crop that comes with touchwiz. Not only does it take up so much space, but I'm one of the few who can discern the increased lag.

The only thing I like, is Samsung's camera software. Oh well. Should be interesting to see a review of how this google edition S4 stacks up to the TouchWiz mainstream one, especially with regards to battery life, space, performance etc.

Um....as ugly touchwiz is, there are very useful functionality in touchwiz.

Pure android is just too plain and you'll just end up using apps for certain things that's already in touchwiz.

TxdoHawk

Wouldn't be shocked if someone tries to take a crack at a port of this with a couple of Samsung goodies baked in. I'm assuming some stuff will be hard/impossible to put back in without TouchWiz, but stuff like the camera software, that may be as simple as an .apk.

Edit:

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/05/16/...-on-galaxy-s-4-through-software-optimization/

In a statement sent to CNET U.K., Samsung has revealed that it's "reviewing the possibility" of increasing the amount of user-accessible storage on the Galaxy S 4 through "additional software optimisation." The company hasn't offered up any other information on its plans, but it does promise that it will "improve [its] communications" with users.

The "Animated" camera mode is awesome. The files it saves as are .Gif but they are too large to text to people.

I tried lowering the resolution but that didn't work either.

Um....as ugly touchwiz is, there are very useful functionality in touchwiz.

Pure android is just too plain and you'll just end up using apps for certain things that's already in touchwiz.

I have been running CM10 on my S3 for a long time. I don't think I miss a single TouchWiz feature.

Wouldn't be shocked if someone tries to take a crack at a port of this with a couple of Samsung goodies baked in. I'm assuming some stuff will be hard/impossible to put back in without TouchWiz, but stuff like the camera software, that may be as simple as an .apk.

Edit:

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/05/16/...-on-galaxy-s-4-through-software-optimization/

Touchwiz camera app is not a simple APK. It's base on the touchwiz frame work. It's almost impossible to implement on AOSP.

AndyD

aka andydumi
To the drivers on here, use car mode. It's awesome. Works surprisingly well.

I wish car mode had always on voice controls. Or at least more of them in Maps. I want to see traffic/alternate routes without fiddling with the tiny buttons. And switch music/radio tracks via voice while watching the navigation app and not having to switch.

Top Bottom