• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Well that's why I keep saying stock android is overrated and boring. It needs to be spiced up by AOKP or CM to be less boring.

If you want functions, get a touchwiz Rom that's been unblouted with a stock style launcher.

there are even reskinned TW roms where they actually replace as many TW apps as possible with stock apps and try to make the TW skinning look more like stock in apps and other places, even the quick launch shortcuts.

VPhys

I put this in the S3 thread. I cannot recommend this case enough and have no idea why people spend their money elsewhere. If you're looking for a minimal case that adds no bulk but still looks great and offers a decent layer of protection, buy a Rearth Ringke Slim and thank me later. It does not scratch your device. If you're careless and do not take care of your expensive gadgets, get an otterbox. This is for those who take great care of their phones but still want a thin layer of protection. I have used it on my S2, S3, Note and Note 2. I will continue using them in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUUIOS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

One thing I like about the s-view case is that it completely replaces the back. By that definition it ads zero bulk, except for the cover part which is like the bulk added by a ipad smart case.

It's plastic, why cover it when you can just replace it. I'd wether by a replacement back and store away the orignal so when I sell it i can snap back the orignal back cover for an S4 in perfect condition.

I am in love with this phone. It was hard leaving the WP 7/8 UI but the additional functionality here make up for it.

I just bought this case:
http://www.spigen.com/galaxy-s4-case-neo-hybrid.html

It's great etc etc but a word of warning to audiophiles, both my Shure SE215 and klipsch Image X5 are unusable because the cover adds a few mm of distance. So L shaped earphones /IEMS plugs wont be usable. Sigh

Does anyone know if I can install an english version of TW on this thing? My phone came with Chinese TW and some of the Chinese only software is driving me insane. I should have bought the unlocked version from Hong Kong.

Well that's why I keep saying stock android is overrated and boring. It needs to be spiced up by AOKP or CM to be less boring.

If you want functions, get a touchwiz Rom that's been unblouted with a stock style launcher.

TouchWiz isn't even really 'bloated' when you consider the features it adds. Is it pretty heavy these days? Yeah, but that's because of all the stuff it includes!

TxdoHawk

6 days until VZW catches up with the rest of Android civilization. I hope Big Red ships online preorders a day or two early, this wait is killing me and I want to finally chuck this stupid GNex.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That's because AOSP enthusiasts refer to added features not made by Google as bloat.
Yep, but there's also other types of bloat. I remember my old Thunderbolt came with about half a GB of apps and game trials that were preinstalled and could not be uninstalled or even updated. Made no sense. It was not so much features as HTC or Verizon getting paid to pre-install some apps.

6 days until VZW catches up with the rest of Android civilization. I hope Big Red ships online preorders a day or two early, this wait is killing me and I want to finally chuck this stupid GNex.

Right there with you man. I was late to the preorder game though so I'm just going to the store the morning of release and grabbing one. My Razr is slow and cracked to hell and it's bugging me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Right there with you man. I was late to the preorder game though so I'm just going to the store the morning of release and grabbing one. My Razr is slow and cracked to hell and it's bugging me.

Newegg has a good preorder deal with overnight shipping so get it day 1. Check it out.

Takuan

Someone mentioned that this case can scratch the phone itself in the amazon review. Has anybody taken it off and had the same experience? Anybody else with case suggestions?

Yeah, the case I used for my S2 was similar and it left permanent marks along the borders of my phone. I'm paranoid about using these types of cases now. To its credit, it did save the phone from many a drop.

*sigh* And I just bought it a few days ago. Came in the mail yesterday. Great.
Well, the case I used was that soft gel-stuff and not from the same company, so this may not apply at all to this product in particular. I'm just saying, my previous experience has left me paranoid. Let me know how it is, I might just order one.

Yeah, the case I used for my S2 was similar and it left permanent marks along the borders of my phone. I'm paranoid about using these types of cases now. To its credit, it did save the phone from many a drop.

*sigh* And I just bought it a few days ago. Came in the mail yesterday. Great.

Ok so I give up on waiting for Sony and the ZL, I'm getting a SG4 but at sprint they offer it for 249 with my upgrade but at wirefly.com they have it at 219 and from what I can tell wirefly doesn't charge me shipping or tax, it's just 219 flat. Does anyone know if sprint might match that? I know I'd only wait a few days for the phone but I'd rather just go to the store and buy it right now. Any help??

Ok so I give up on waiting for Sony and the ZL, I'm getting a SG4 but at sprint they offer it for 249 with my upgrade but at wirefly.com they have it at 219 and from what I can tell wirefly doesn't charge me shipping or tax, it's just 219 flat. Does anyone know if sprint might match that? I know I'd only wait a few days for the phone but I'd rather just go to the store and buy it right now. Any help??

Sprint doesn't pricematch.

Amazon has it for $199 with upgrade. Perhaps you could get Best Buy to price match?

Amazon has it for $199 with upgrade. Perhaps you could get Best Buy to price match?

Oh I didn't even think of checking on amazon, thanks! Hopefully Best Buy will match.

Edit: Anyone know how the price matching at Best Buy works? Should I print out the price? Will they just verify at the store?

Edit 2: Never mind they don't price match for phones, I might just order from amazon then.

Wads

Banned
Oh I didn't even think of checking on amazon, thanks! Hopefully Best Buy will match.

Edit: Anyone know how the price matching at Best Buy works? Should I print out the price? Will they just verify at the store?

Just go to the store, they can verify there or you can show them on your current phone. I pricematched yesterday by showing them the amazon app.

Yup that's why I refuse to buy it from them, Amazon charges me tax so it comes out to 253, looks like wirefly is still the cheapest so I'm just going to order it from them.

Iunno if you've ordered from Wirefly before (i havent personally) but make sure you read the fine print. If you make some changes to your plan within the first 6 months or something, they will end up charging you the full $600 or whatever for the phone.

Iunno if you've ordered from Wirefly before (i havent personally) but make sure you read the fine print. If you make some changes to your plan within the first 6 months or something, they will end up charging you the full $600 or whatever for the phone.

Yeah I've ordered from them before, I'm still going to go through everything though just to be sure but I keep my account current and don't change anything (I have unlimited everything so no need)

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, just got mine less than an hour ago. It's so light compared to my EVO! I still need a bit of time to work with it and all that, but it seems pretty cool.

Also a heads up for anyone who uses Sam's Club. You can get the phone for $160 even if upgrading while on the same carrier. Also they waive the activation fee in a way.

So is there any emoji keyboard for this thing?

Pandemic

Gah, I'm trying to purchase a Spigen case/glass cover but it's all expensive sh*t.. Does anyone have a coupon for Amazon...? :s

Cheers.

jokkir

I asked this in the Android thread but I think it would be better to ask here:

Which variant would be the most developer friendly (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile)?

I remember some variants of the S3 not getting proper Cyanogenmod or AOKP updates because of the source for either Snapdragon or Exynos not releasing the full source.

Also, which variant now has more developer support?

I posted this in another thread but thought i'd post it in here also.

Taken with Galaxy S4. dat detail.

64K5SBZ.jpg

this_guy

I asked this in the Android thread but I think it would be better to ask here:

Which variant would be the most developer friendly (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile)?

I remember some variants of the S3 not getting proper Cyanogenmod or AOKP updates because of the source for either Snapdragon or Exynos not releasing the full source.

Also, which variant now has more developer support?

Either the AT&T or T-Mobile version. Samsung is releasing an S4 with stock Android that's compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile, so that gives developer's a base to work with.

Xdrive05

Is there a good breakdown of the available cases?

I will be carrying it in tight pockets, so low profile counts... but scratch and drop protection still matters the most to me. I hope there's a good compromise.

Kilrathi

I just got the Galaxy S4 from t mobile to jump on the smartphone band wagon for the first time, and is it normal for the ram usage to be around 800MB?

I just got the Galaxy S4 from t mobile to jump on the smartphone band wagon for the first time, and is it normal for the ram usage to be around 800MB?

Yes, it's totally normal. Don't worry about RAM until it starts to reach the threshold, which at that point your phone will kill background apps to save RAM.

Calmine

I posted this in another thread but thought i'd post it in here also.

Taken with Galaxy S4. dat detail.

I thought I was reading the wrong thread all of sudden. Great quality picture. That 13mp camera does make the difference. Been getting some really great shots on the nights out.

newsguy

I pre-ordered from Verizon today. After everything the rep tells me it won't get to me till friday. WTF! I specifically went to Verizon directly to make sure I had it day one. When I told him that he said that it may ship sooner... I got a chance to play with it and see the beautiful screen (coming from a Droid Bionic) and I fell in love.

kinggroin

Banned
S4 or wait for the inevitable Note 3 that will be along soon. Other than the pen input, I can't really see any benefit in the Note 2 over the S4 now. Note 3 should hopefully change that with a whack of power again.

Much better battery, bigger screen, non pentile display. Its already the better device.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
*case stuff*

I think I'll get this. I have the Hyperion one that Faceless showed a while back, and it's pretty loose around the edges (but it was also 6 bucks). I also have some other one my dad bought extra at a US Cellular store, and it's got the silicon inside with the hard out shell. Also kind of loose.

I think some of the early cases were just S3 cases with the boxes re-labeled.

Kilrathi

don't worry about RAM usage on Android.

Ok thanks :) Is there anything that a must have on android I should download right now, only thing I have downloaded outside of the pre-installed apps(seems like so much bloatware) is the Humble Mobile Bundle(Another World, Raiden Legacy, Bladeslinger, The room, Smugglers, Contre Jour, Planet vs Zombies, Metal Slug 3), cable provider app, Netflix, and HBO/Showtime apps. The Video apps have been set to wifi only as I am on the 2.5GB plan with T-mobile for now.

Pandemic

Jesus.. What luck. I took my iPhone 4S a few days ago into the Apple store for having a green dead pixel, they gave me a refurbished phone..

Now I've been using the S4 for less than 24 hours and it has a green dead pixel right in the middle...

Will Samsung's warranty cover this?

Weenerz

Banned
Jesus.. What luck. I took my iPhone 4S a few days ago into the Apple store for having a green dead pixel, they gave me a refurbished phone..

Now I've been using the S4 for less than 24 hours and it has a green dead pixel right in the middle...

Will Samsung's warranty cover this?

Go to the store you bought it from, you are surely within your return period.

Top Bottom