• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xezuru

Greg is a little more Reinhardt then ancient japanese diety Mako, but he does a fantastic job capturing an essence of Aku/Mako with what he physically is able to. Seems like every episode has flashes of video quality barring or better than the black vs white episode, and the tone and atmosphere is fantastic barring moments like the big lighted crypt where the music was kind of over forcing this as like a john wick ending, but overall both these episodes are amazing and are everything Jack was or better.

Blues1990

This season is definitely taking advantage of the V-14-V rating, as that was a harsh way for Jack to discover his killers are flesh and blood humans. And now that group of assassins have a legit reason to hate him.

Aku's new voice actor is doing a really good job and trying his best but man...he can't follow up Mako Iwamatsu.

Gotta say that this show uses letterboxing really, really well. It uses every visual trick it has in its repertoire really, really well. The fight scene in the dark was well...something else.

Also actually making good use of being grittier and darker without falling into the juvenile trap like everything else, and by everything else I mean Batman vs Superman

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
does anyone think jack is gonna have a red right hand moment ala wolverine when this is all over?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I also dug the subtle call back to the Blind Archers episode with the running in rain sequence -- hell, it had a better effect here.

BTW, I feel like the Aku therapist thing could get some light meme/gif usage around here.

Exhibit A
pgmxRy.gif

That episode...was wow. I dont think i've seen a series come back after this long, and so strong at that. Absolute work of art.

Jintor

Holy shit. That second half was mastery.

Amazing going from Aku comedy to spirit Jack talking about honour and then to... that. My god.

Fj0823

I also dug the subtle call back to the Blind Archers episode with the running in rain sequence -- hell, it had a better effect here.

BTW, I feel like the Aku therapist thing could get some light meme/gif usage around here.

Exhibit A
pgmxRy.gif

Amazing

Tubobutts

It's kind of messed up but the two things I don't like are the two things that changed. I never got used to Greg Baldwin as Iroh and I suspect the same thing will happen with Aku. And I'm not a fan of the new music so far. It just sounds generic.

Stoze

Mako from Korra? I'm confused.

Mako Iwamatsu is a voice actor who did the voice of Aku in Samurai Jack seasons 1-4 and Iroh in the first couple seasons of Avatar. He died in 2006, and Greg Baldwin replaced him as Iroh in Avatar, Korra, and as Aku in this new season of Samurai Jack.

My god that was beautiful. Everything about this episode was wonderful. The Aku insanity, Jack's mind at war with itself, the wolf fight, and the entire chase sequence was all masterfully done and paced. This is art through the medium of television and animation right here.

Easily one of the best episodes of the entire series.

That was fucking beautiful. Western action animation setting a new standard goddamn

When I recognized it I started getting even more pumped up than I was before.

Voror

Mako from Korra? I'm confused.

What Stoze just said. Mako from Korra was named in tribute to Iroh's voice actor Mako Iwamatsu.

It's kind of weird having the music they have during the Aku scenes. I'm just used to that general theme they always used to use. It does come back in once he starts the therapy though which was nice. Aside from the differences in Greg's voice, I think the voice is missing that echoing effect that always used to be there in the earlier seasons whenever Aku spoke. Could be wrong on that one though and need to see the episode again.

Mako Iwamatsu is a voice actor who did the voice of Aku in Samurai Jack seasons 1-4 and Iroh in the first couple seasons of Avatar. He died in 2006, and Greg Baldwin replaced him as Iroh in Avatar, Korra, and as Aku in this new season of Samurai Jack.

I never realized his voice actor was replaced. That shit sounds identical.

yeah, like, man.

hope the Scotsman helps him out there, or something.

It's been fifty years. I'm not caught up on the series but is the Scotsman even alive?

BTW, absolute work of art. Holy shit. Holy fucking shit. Quite possibly the best cartoon episode I have ever seen. Holy. SHIT.

Tsunamo

You could cut the tension with a knife that episode. That was so fantastic and intense.

I can accept Greg as Aku even though it's not the same as Mako, those are big shoes to fill and he did his best job. I definitely do miss his performances as Aku though :(
It's been fifty years. I'm not caught up on the series but is the Scotsman even alive?
Yeah, he's been confirmed to appear by both gendy and in promos.

cntr

Banned
there was a moment which really stood out in the Chicken Jack episode where he tears a "robot" snake apart, the oil bled and behaved exactly like blood.

there was a moment which really stood out in the Chicken Jack episode where he tears a "robot" snake apart, the oil bled and behaved exactly like blood.

I mean sure they evoked that kind of thing as far as the rating allowed. Never anything like gruesome animal fights that look like something out of Watership Down, and the other thing with Jack this episode.

Dont get me wrong, its everything that was good about Jack again and more, just that it feels a bit bastardized maybe for the sake of appealing to the fans who waited so long for an ending and are now older and this more "mature" or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom