• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I'm late but I finally watched it. The tension and buildup in this episode was amazing. That whole scene with
Jack hiding in the coffin with the firefly was awesome.

And I was right in guessing that
Aku doesn't know that he lost the sword.

captainpat

It's always fun when the villain is also the comic relief, because the switch between them as the clown and them as the antagonist is always fun to watch, hence why folks like Joker are so popular, or a Disney villain like Hades who was rife with visual gags compared to someone like Judge Frollo.

Yea but those villians are actively making things worse. Aku's just lounging around, sure he's destroyed the time portals but there's very little showing that he's actively making the future more hellish.

Seesaw15

Yea but those villians are actively making things worse. Aku's just lounging around, sure he's destroyed the time portals but there's very little showing that he's actively making the future more hellish.
Aku had an assassin decimate an entire city just to get Jacks attention 1 episode ago.
yFW7DSn.png

They do such a good job of showing how tired Jack is. When he gets off the bike to fight the beetle, he just looks like he's about to drop.

Did not expect Jack to straight up merc one of the daughters and feel nothing. Hot damn what an amazing ep.

Exodust

Banned
Thought they were showing how both the wolf and jack had a choice of what path to go down. They both chided the wrong path but jack managed to survive

I think it's supposed to show that if Jack chooses to take out all the daughters of Aku he'll end up sacrificing himself. So probably a hint that Jack won't try to kill all of them.

Plus, he was pretty shook when it turned out not to be just nuts and bolts after all.

Seesaw15

Did he? Cause it sounded like that robot just did it on its own just to mess with Jack rather than on order from Aku

Yes. Aku probably didn't give him a step by step plan but Scaramouch was Aku's #1 assassin and it was under Aku's orders that these atrocities were done.

cntr

Banned
I don't think Aku specifically ordered that town to be destroyed, but it's the kind of thing he encourages from his minions

Riveting. Compelling, pure action, and the desperation is sold well without undercutting the sense of Jack's skill.

I don't think Aku specifically ordered that town to be destroyed, but it's the kind of thing he encourages from his minions

Like a certain newly appointed tyrant

Let me just say I love how Aku is still goofy. I was thinking that maybe they'd turn him more serious, but we gotta remember this is the same guy that when children were playing and rooting for Samurai Jack he gathered them all together and read them about the girl with the GIANT

FLAMING

EYEBROWWWWWWWWWWWWWS

Yep, that episode was legit good. This is a breath of fresh air after the Teen Titan and Powerpuff Girls reboots.

I think neither of those had the original show creators involved though. And this was probably brought to Adult Swim specifically because the cartoon network audience doesn't fall into this anymore. With the anime block and action shows all but gone, and all of that being in Adult Swim, better to bring it here.

Tizoc

I cannot find a proper GIF to express how brilliant this episode is.
It is brilliant
just brilliant
Bravo Genndy and co.

They're not Nuts and Bolts this time Jack.

Also that beetle
drone is just a gigantic version of the normal ones.
IT'S JUST A BIG ONE.
At least the normal ones had mobility

Eidan

I love the Morricone inspired music in the throne room at the end of the episode. This show is just a marvel to watch.

Cess007

I was never super interested in the serie back when it was airing; I watched some episodes and stuff and was aware of the plot. Now with the revival, I decided to give it a chance, and from what I've seen in this 2 episodes, I'm completely amazed.

Is the original run as good as this 2 Eps? 'Cause if so, I've a lot to catch up!

Seesaw15

I was never super interested in the serie back when it was airing; I watched some episodes and stuff and was aware of the plot. Now with the revival, I decided to give it a chance, and from what I've seen in this 2 episodes, I'm completely amazed.

Is the original run as good as this 2 Eps? 'Cause if so, I've a lot to catch up!

Its the same quality throughout. Just finished re-watching the first 4 seasons and all the great music/art direction/action choreography is there from episode one.

Edit:
Be warned though. The first 4 seasons are more about the journey than the destination( character over plot) since heavily serialized television wasn't popular back then. You'll learn a lot about the history of the world and Jack's struggle but be prepared to roll your eyes at some plot contrivances.

Nikodemos

Also, was it just me or did the way Aku punched his clock remind anyone else of how Duck Dodgers usually wakes up? That would be an amazing shout-out.

The biggest tie this season has to BotW is that all of Jack's weapons keep fucking breaking

I also dug the subtle call back to the Blind Archers episode with the running in rain sequence -- hell, it had a better effect here.

BTW, I feel like the Aku therapist thing could get some light meme/gif usage around here.

Exhibit A
pgmxRy.gif

Oh, and does anyone else actually kind of prefer Aku's more obviously digital / cleaner look here compared to the original series? I mean the whole show's art style is a lot cleaner than the original, but something about the way Aku was drawn almost reminds me of, like, Camp Laszlo or something. I think it helps with some of the visual comedy, but also really distances him from the style Jack's drawn in - he feels like something that isn't a natural part of the world now.

Xe4

Banned
Its the same quality throughout. Just finished re-watching the first 4 seasons and all the great music/art direction/action choreography is there from episode one.

Definitely. It's more episodic though, so don't go in expecting one single arc like this season. There are some episodes that blow any thing else from the same period out of the water, like Princess and the Bounty Hunters, The Tale of X-9, Jack and the Spartans, and a bunch of others.

Biske

Definitely. It's more episodic though, so don't go in expecting one single arc like this season. There are some episodes that blow any thing else from the same period out of the water, like Princess and the Bounty Hunters, The Tale of X-9, Jack and the Spartans, and a bunch of others.

It is amazing how its both, just a fun romp of a series and then an incredible episode is dropped right in your lap. Like the Haunted house one.

The biggest tie this season has to BotW is that all of Jack's weapons keep fucking breaking

Oh, and does anyone else actually kind of prefer Aku's more obviously digital / cleaner look here compared to the original series? I mean the whole show's art style is a lot cleaner than the original, but something about the way Aku was drawn almost reminds me of, like, Camp Laszlo or something. I think it helps with some of the visual comedy, but also really distances him from the style Jack's drawn in - he feels like something that isn't a natural part of the world now.

I like the cleaner look, I just don't like how they stopped making his teeth with red lines instead of black. That's not how he is supposed to look. :/

I somehow completely missed the fact that Jack was hiding under a destroyed beetle drone and not just a random piece of scrap.

download_1.png

Seems like this civilization Jack and the sisters fought through was destroyed by Aku.

Tizoc

Aku had an assassin decimate an entire city just to get Jacks attention 1 episode ago.
yFW7DSn.png

Aku didn't necessarily TELL him to do it; much like how he responded to the scientists, he had the same attitude towards that assassin: You wanna go kill a village, fine whatever, just do whatever you want.

It's crazy to me that we're at a place with mental health now where Jack, the one who's normally seen as the resolute, indomitable savior of the future, is still trying to shrug off the demons of his failure and the ghost of his original time's customs, and is struggling to convince himself that the future has taught him that he can't use "honor" as a front to just (literally) fall on his sword. Yet Aku, the shogun of sorrow™, yadda yadda yadda, is the one trying to sort his psychological problems (evidently depression, at least?) out in a somewhat "healthy" way. It's an interesting critique of the original series when you consider that Aku's seemingly mellowed out a little compared to the bombastic, affable personality he had in the first four seasons, and watching the original run you'd never imagine Jack of all people to be the one contemplating suicide.

Aku didn't necessarily TELL him to do it; much like how he responded to the scientists, he had the same attitude towards that assassin: You wanna go kill a village, fine whatever, just do whatever you want.

In today's political climate, indifference might as well be contribution, though. The episode is hammering home that Aku is responsible for the hellhole the Earth's turned into under his rule, and despite being a borderline deity he has nothing to show for it.

Harpoon

Yes. Aku probably didn't give him a step by step plan but Scaramouch was Aku's #1 assassin and it was under Aku's orders that these atrocities were done.

Scaramouch was pretty obviously overestimating his importance, especially given Aku's "who is this?!" when he phoned him. He was doing this stuff of his own accord.

caliph95

Remember Aku doesn't really care about Jack anymore and is just waiting for him to die basically. All the assassin's and bounty hunters are acting virtually independently. Aku probably doesn't even know a cult of him exists

Also worth noting that when Scaramouche calls Aku, Aku doesn't recognize the number.

EDIT: Don't know why those last few posts didn't load but beaten as a result.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yeah i mean he isn't directing them anymore and is letting them do their own thing

Oh I see.... Yeah Aku is probably suffering his own type of PTSD. It's unique how this final season is looking at the mental health aspects of being a hero and a villain. I think the venture bros touch on this and that is about it.

I only ever saw incidental episodes of the original series, which were good, but I didn't get the entirety of the narrative at that time.

But I was determined to follow this new season - and boy has it delivered so far. Excellent episodes, can't wait for the rest.

Seesaw15

Now we're just getting into the minutia of Evil Dictatorships.
XkOOqq5.jpg

JSevere

opening bit with Aku was hilarious

second half is one of the most intense sequences I've ever seen in an animated series. heart skipped a beat when
Jack slit that girl's throat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom