• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

Man that episode was crazy. It's so good that jack return managed to deliver on the hype and then some.
KuGsj.gif

Jack telling himself to kill himself was some heavy stuff.

Yeah...that was dark.

Geist-

Man that episode was crazy. It's so good that jack return managed to deliver on the hype and then some.
KuGsj.gif

Jack telling himself to kill himself was some heavy stuff.

It's kind of unbelievable how incredible this show is at portraying his hopelessness. Genndy proving he's the master of animated story telling.

This is so good, definitely going to get the bluray solely for the commentary when it's released.

Never seen someone so sincerely passionate about something since Huber's reaction to Shenmue 3 announcement haha.

Certainly. I love commentaries when they're just having tons of fun though the tone of Samurai Jack and Genndy's effects just go together oddly well. That motorcycle sound, crude as it was, was actually kinda convincing, the "Chicka-chicka" of the Beetle bots moving was somewhat unnerving and so on.

More than just having fun, Genndy demonstrated how much he understands these scenes texturally which is impressive. He makes it look easy.

Seda

it's an honest mistake, people dont realize that not everything on youtube is on the up and up

Generally speaking for GAF policy, don't post links to unofficial uploads or streaming sites.

Speaking frankly though, pirating is so easy these days that one could probably find the episode within ten seconds of googling.

But yeah, just don't link on GAF.

joe2187

Banned
Generally speaking for GAF policy, don't post links to unofficial uploads or streaming sites.

Speaking frankly though, pirating is so easy these days that one could probably find the episode within ten seconds of googling.

But yeah, just don't link on GAF.

I found it on the front page of Youtube.

I was like, okay it's a recap....no wait it's the entire episode in full HD and was like really confused how that was acceptable for being a "Trending" video. I havent checked but I think it's still up as well.

Lmo911

I like how Jack being fully armor and armed to the teeth is more a sign of vulnerability than it is of strength. As he gets the snot beat out of him he becomes more and more himself. Eventually I see him returning to what he was, smoothed over like a stone in a stream.

That was the most tense episode of anything I've seen in in a long, long, LONG time.

I'm still trying to process how amazing this reairing has been. The art style is absolutely gobsmacking, the animation is top tier, and the atmospheric storytelling is still on it's game.

The show was previously in my Top 5 animated shows, but if things keep up, it'll be my no. 1.

I like how Jack being fully armor and armed to the teeth is more a sign of vulnerability than it is of strength. As he gets the snot beat out of him he becomes more and more himself. Eventually I see him returning to what he was, smoothed over like a stone in a stream.
Good way to look at it.

No matter how much he tries to hide behind his armor. In the end he will always be Samurai Jack. You can't hide from your subconscious.

Oh man, the way the music swells up and the focus they put on the glow bug inside with Jack throughout that underground tomb scene made me believe that Jack was contemplating squashing it in order to keep it from giving away his position, and that was going to be the scene Genndy had been hyping up as Jack's first kill. Feel stupid in hindsight since just the last episode we saw Jack eating a dead rat and overall would've been a real let down considering the darker tone of the show, but just for a moment I was thinking, "Oh boy this would be a hilarious troll by Genndy."

Another superb episode. Excellent animation all-around and seeing Samurai Jack being chased by Aku's daughter, in typical Samurai Jack fashion with no dialogue was an amazing sequence.

Stoze

It's splicing of Comic con audio of Genndy storyboarding the first scene (found here), and the first scene as it played out a week ago. There's not any more that I can think of.

I'd like to see footage of the storyboard while he's saying that like this, maybe it'll get released down the line.

I've seriously watched the episode twice since last night, it's just so good. The slow-mo run through the rain might be my favorite single part.

Hey guys I've started on Samurai Jack. Currently ok episode 11 on Season 1. Now when does this show pick up plot wise? So far it's been pretty slow and random with the plot, when does it pick up?

Fancolors

Hey guys I've started on Samurai Jack. Currently ok episode 11 on Season 1. Now when does this show pick up plot wise? So far it's been pretty slow and random with the plot, when does it pick up?
There's almost no continuity. I think with the exception of the first few episodes and the Scotsman, everything else can be viewed independently from one another.

In season 5.

The appeal of the show has always been about enjoying well made individual episodes.
Really? The concept of the show is interesting but in a lot of episodes parts are so drawn out it can become tiresome to watch.

There's almost no continuity. I think with the exception of the first few episodes and the Scotsman, everything else can be viewed independently from one another.

Wait what's the great appeal of the show then?

Nordicus

The plot? It never does.

That's why you may have seen people tell to watch a few select episodes, the first 4 seasons, the original series, is highly episodic with very little plot progression. Great stand-alone stories but you will not see the continuity that's happening in Season 5 right now.

Stoze

The excellent art, animation, action, and episodic storytelling via those means rather than lots of dialogue and limited-motion scenes.

It can be tiresome to watch if you're trying to watch more than an episode or two at a time, it wasn't made with binge in mind.

The plot? It never does.

That's why you may have seen people tell to watch a few select episodes, the first 4 seasons, the original series, is highly episodic with very little plot progression. Great stand-alone stories but you will not see the continuity that's happening in Season 5 right now.
So should I skip to season 5 then or would I be missing anything?

Really? The concept of the show is interesting but in a lot of episodes parts are so drawn out it can become tiresome to watch.

How incredibly well made it is? How striking the visuals and sound design is?

So should I skip to season 5 then or would I be missing anything?

Basically watch The Beginning 3 parter, episodes with the Scotsman, and maybe the Birth of Evil two parter. Hard to judge since we don't know if any additional callbacks are in the other episodes.

How incredibly well made it is? How striking the visuals and sound design is?

Basically watch The Beginning 3 parter, episodes with the Scotsman, and maybe the Birth of Evil two parter. Hard to judge since we don't know if any additional callbacks are in the other episodes.

The guardian episode is another likely candidate to make some sort of return

Seda

Basically Samurai Jack is not a plot-driven show - it's episodic. Only this last season has any episode-to-episode overarching narrative.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finally caught the second episode and like has been repeated over and over again, god damn that was an incredible episode. I really loved what seemed to be a call out to the Ecstasy of Gold scene graveyard scene from the Good The Bad and the Ugly. Even the design of the King's tomb was similar to the layout of the graveyard. All in all some powerful stuff and Gendy is nailing this 100%.

Stoze

I could've sworn I heard that the baby would return (grown up of course) somewhere, so the last episode of season 4 may be pertinent.

I really loved what seemed to be a call out to the Ecstasy of Gold scene graveyard scene from the Good The Bad and the Ugly. Even the design of the King's tomb was similar to the layout of the graveyard.

The rolling piano playing in that scene is directly lifted from The Ecstasy of Gold so it has to be.

Okay just finished episode 2 of season 5. What an amazing episode holy crap. Such a step up from the previous. I'm really excited for this show now. And how did he lose his sword?

Tarydax

Banned
Fuuuuuuck, the first episode was good, but the second was phenomenal. The action, music, and sound effects are as good as they've ever been, if not better (especially the action).

The art is still gorgeous, but it seems a bit too clean to me at times (where are the orange lines around Aku's teeth, for instance?). Watching an older season episode and then one of the new ones was kind of jarring.

It also bothers me that killing
a human
would really get to Jack considering that he's killed sentient life before, even if they are robots - and there's that bounty hunter episode to consider, too. How that one got hand-waved away is also kind of annoying. And it's been 50 years - Aku really has really only sent robots at Jack in all that time, and he knows that Jack has the beard but not
the sword?

I hope they address why Jack doesn't jump high anymore

Jack had a ton of missed opportunities to jump good in the earlier seasons, too. It's always rarely used, even in situations when it would be really helpful. I tend to look at it as something the writers thought would be cool but then realized it made him overpowered, so they had to tone it down a lot and only have Jack use it when the plot called for it.

Xe4

Banned

Along with what others have been saying, I'll add that Jack was made in a time when western cartoons were not only not expected to have an overarching plot, serializing a series was actively discouraged. Only the success of Avatar really changed that to where most shows are now expected to have some sort of serialization. Whether Jack would've been more or less episodic is unknown.

What is known is that back then, and today, Jack is one of the most unique shows on television, animated or not. Few stories put such an emphasis on visual and audio design, and Tartakovsky is truly a master of visual story telling. It is not uncommon for an episode to have half the episode go by without a single sentence spoken, and there were several which did not have Jack speak a single word. Whilst I can see this approach being polarizing, most Samurai Jack fans think it really adds an element not really found elsewhere.

Here is a great article on what makes the show so special: In Its Final Season, Samurai Jack Is Still the Most Aesthetically Daring Show on TV.
There is also Super Eyepatch Wolf's fantastic video on Samurai Jack.

You do not need to watch the previous series at all to go into season five, though some episodes may be good to flesh out Jack and the world around him
  • Season 1 Episodes 1-3: The Premier Movie.
  • Season 1 Episode 11: Jack and the Scotsman
  • Season 2 Episode 4: Jack and the Scotsman II
  • Season 3 Episode 6: Jack and the Traveling Creatures
  • Season 3 Episodes 11&12: The Birth of Evil
  • Season 4 Episodes 6&7: The Scotsman Saves Jack

As well, there are some episodes that are not needed, but should be watched anyways because they are fantastic. These include:
  • Season 1 Episode 7: Jack and the Three Blind Archers
  • Season 1 Episode 8: Jack vs Mad Jack
  • Season 1 Episode 10: Jack and the Lava Monster
  • Season 2 Episode 6: Jack Remembers the Past
  • Season 2 Episode 12: Jack and the Spartans
  • Season 3 Episode 9: Jack and the Haunted House
  • Season 4 Episode 1: Samurai vs. Ninja
  • Season 4 Episode 5: The Princess and the Bounty Hunters
  • Season 4 Episode 10: Seasons of Death
  • Season 4 Episode 11: The Tale of X-9

There are more, but those are ten fucking amazing episodes that you should watch. Really, if you ever have time, watch the whole thing, but don't expect to binge it. Samurai Jack is best seen in one or two episode chunks, not all at once.

Okay just finished episode 2 of season 5. What an amazing episode holy crap. Such a step up from the previous. I'm really excited for this show now. And how did he lose his sword?
It is not known how he lost his sword. Season 5 should cover it later on.

God damn that Season 5 Episode 3 Promo...

Things are about to get seriously dark.

Is Jack going to go berserk and kill them all? Does he accept the fact that he has to kill to defeat Aku? Maybe that wolf scene was foreshadowing that his morals and warrior spirit died after being struggling so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom