• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
ultrabots_ultimate_collage_by_fiercedeity1770.png

Thinking back on the episode Jack Versus the Ultrabots. The Ultrabots would have been one of the only real dangers Jack would have ever faced as their adamantium bodies were impervious to even his magical sword combined with the fact they were designed by a robotics genius as the ultimate Jack stopping machines. If it weren't said genius helping Jack out and giving him the arm exoskeleton to power him up (and some mystical help) he might not have overcame them.

So it makes quite a bit of sense that the Daughters of Aku would be such a huge challenge to a swordless Jack. They were raised to fear and hate Jack and trained to peak perfection would be comparable to how the Ultrabots were designed and built and programmed to destroy Jack. Jack had the sword to defeat them and some help from a powerful ally and he has none of that against equally relentless and powerful foes.

Gorillaz

Yea that whole convo between jack and
former/younger self
was a bigger highlight then that shit at the end. It also proved to me that jack is mentally ready for anything from aku once he gets his shit back. That whole
let's join our ancestors/will not be stuck in this foresaken time
hits hard as fuck but the fact he just bounced off of it and said "nah i'm getting out of this fight" was savage as fuck. He's more mentally prepared to get out of this now then during the first 4 seasons.

Those 50 years pretty much made him

I like how Aku is high-class depressed while Homeless Jack is slumming it in the wild killing people.

I wonder if Jack will cut off the beard with his sword once he eventually finds it, Part of me hopes the beard stays, though.

I like how Aku is high-class depressed while Homeless Jack is slumming it in the wild killing people.

I wonder if Jack will cut off the beard with his sword once he eventually finds it, Part of me hopes the beard stays, though.

Well, the Daughters of Aku took care of like two thirds of it.

Hopefully not clean shaven, just samurai Toshiro Mifune-esque

B33

Banned
Aku and Jack are like a couple in a vituperative relationship who are stuck living together after the relationship implodes.

It's fascinating.

zeemumu

Thinking back on the episode Jack Versus the Ultrabots. The Ultrabots would have been one of the only real dangers Jack would have ever faced as their adamantium bodies were impervious to even his magical sword combined with the fact they were designed by a robotics genius as the ultimate Jack stopping machines. If it weren't said genius helping Jack out and giving him the arm exoskeleton to power him up (and some mystical help) he might not have overcame them.

So it makes quite a bit of sense that the Daughters of Aku would be such a huge challenge to a swordless Jack. They were raised to fear and hate Jack and trained to peak perfection would be comparable to how the Ultrabots were designed and built and programmed to destroy Jack. Jack had the sword to defeat them and some help from a powerful ally and he has none of that against equally relentless and powerful foes.

It wasn't really that they were impervious to the sword. More that Jack didn't have enough strength in his swing to do anything more than surface damage until he charged the sword with the power of the gods.

Jack's sanity slippage probably took a toll on his combat effectiveness. That combined with what you said about them being trained to hunt Jack from birth and nothing else leads to them being a legitimate threat.

DrkSage

Finally was able to sit down and watch the new season of samurai jack.

Man I really am going to need to revisit the previous 4 seasons since I only remember few episodes of each one.

Holy fuck how I missed jack....

Also I like the new look, he kinda looks like John wick Keanu reeves

Yea that whole convo between jack and
former/younger self
was a bigger highlight then that shit at the end. It also proved to me that jack is mentally ready for anything from aku once he gets his shit back. That whole
let's join our ancestors/will not be stuck in this foresaken time
hits hard as fuck but the fact he just bounced off of it and said "nah i'm getting out of this fight" was savage as fuck. He's more mentally prepared to get out of this now then during the first 4 seasons.

Those 50 years pretty much made him

But the whole
let's join our ancestors
shit was ALSO him. He wants to die but can't bring himself to.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You can't come back after over a decade with a season that's completely about finishing the story and just make 10 more goofy standalone episodes, brehs. This ending is a long time coming. Jack has to deal with the fact that he's been spinning his wheels for decades, the fact that Aku's essentially won. It has to be darker, more personal. The stakes have to be raised. This is the final push, and the shackles are off.

Not to mention that he is facing, human though they be, absolute fanatics who only mission in life is his death, which is making it a kill or be killed situation.

Yooo I finally watched the first two episodes. They're sooooo good, especially the second episode.

The sparse dialogue, amazing action direction, bold color palettes, sense of scale and history to the landscapes, and great pacing....it's perfection.

I remember liking the OG show a lot, but was it ever this good? I haven't watched it in ages.

I remember liking the OG show a lot, but was it ever this good? I haven't watched it in ages.

Even with nostalgia goggles being taken to account, I feel it was at least as god if not a little less as good due to budget and format constraints at the time.

The arc that details Aku coming to earth, and the episode with the assassins plotting to kill Jack before he arrives are both amazing.

But yeah, the new season is off to an amazing start.

cntr

Banned
I've been rewatching it, it's still really good.

The main difference is that the previous seasons were a lot slower and methodical, and some people prefer the newer, faster pacing. I'm fine with the slower pacing, but I kinda agree.

Paskil

I just rewatched all four seasons in January to prep for the new season since it had been several years. While there are many great or excellent episodes from those seasons, nothing comes close to episode two of season five. Episode two is some next level amazing shit.

B33

Banned
My guess is that Hulu will get it sometime after the TV airing.

For now, the quickest way to watch it is either through [adult swim]'s on demand stream (cable provider required) or by buying the season on Amazon Video.

NEO0MJ

Man, it's been so long since I felt so afraid for a hero like this. The whole time I was thinking "Don't give in, Jack!" deep inside like when I was a kid. Tension was off the scale.
I also felt really bad for the wolf. Poor thing.

TheFlow

Banned
Yooo I finally watched the first two episodes. They're sooooo good, especially the second episode.

The sparse dialogue, amazing action direction, bold color palettes, sense of scale and history to the landscapes, and great pacing....it's perfection.

Original was always great but this new season has no restraints plus hd

Yudoken

A little bit off topic but if you're interested in a very good and well done parody of Samurai Jack and missed it like I did you should watch Duck Dodgers S02E11 "Samurai Quack" episode.

They definitely did their research on this, you can easily see that they're fans of it.

You can watch it on YouTube, I highly recommend it especially... Just watch it for yourself!

Also, spoiler warning in the video recommended list for the episode 2 of S05 of Samurai Jack.

caliph95

A little bit off topic but if you're interested in a very goos parody of Samurai Jack you should watch Duck Dodgers S02E11 "Samurai Quack" episode.

You can watch it on on YouTube, I highly recommend it especially... Just watch it for yourself!

Also, spoiler warning in the video recommended list for the episode 2 of S05 of Samurai Jack.
Just a warning we can't link stuff on youtube not from the official channel so remove the link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom