• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opto

Banned
To be fair

In self defense when you were brain washed to kill kill kill and he gave you every chance to back off until his life was on the line and he could run no further.

She even tells her mom as much episode before this one.

i'd say at best feelings would be complicated. Ashi isn't even going through survivor's guilt.

not that I have super hard feelings about this, it's just funny to me

I think both of them are so emotionally damaged and undeveloped (in certain areas) they can't put 2 and 2 together on how they should feel about the whole situation.

caliph95

I think we just don't have the time but i would like more survivor's guilt or remorse over her sisters because it feels they shouldn't even have been here

Jocund

It's late and I'm tired, but didn't Ashi already explain (to her mother) that she doesn't feel guilt about her sisters because they chose their path, or something like that?

It's late and I'm tired, but didn't Ashi already explain (to her mother) that she doesn't feel guilt about her sisters because they chose their path, or something like that?
Yeah last episode. Mom outright accuses her for following jack and she says that back.

I don't think Genndy is going to address that really they didn't have a choice because they've been conditioned to not know any better. Ashi only changed after a lot of shit and they specify she was always the 'mentally weak' one

Fj0823

No she said she blames her mother for sending them to die instead of blaming Jack for defending himself

caliph95

That is if Jack can find a way back

Didn't AKU tell Jack he has destroyed every time portal a few episodes back?

Yeah but i doubt future jack would have left guardian in charge if he couldn't defend himself against Aku plus Future Jack has to come into play somehow unless multiverse theory
^ it was a portal hidden from Aku. But they'd have to explain why jack was so suicidal if this one still existed, unless he thought he'd never be worthy

Probably that and that he gave up thinking Guardian was impossible considering Guardian curbstomped him

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
^ it was a portal hidden from Aku. But they'd have to explain why jack was so suicidal if this one still existed, unless he thought he'd never be worthy

He got his ass handed to him the last time he wound up there and likely didn't hear the Guardian say that he would be worthy at some point.

Renpatsu

I don't mind the development, but I do think the moment would have been better served had Ashi's emotional maturity been depicted with more consistency and the passage of time more firmly established in the preceding episodes.

Is that a FOOLISH SAMURAI WARRIOR WIELDING A MAGIC SWORD or are you just happy to see her?

I can't fucking breathe

Anyway, worst episode so far. Genndy embracing the cheese and monster-of-the-week fare was fun, but it just did not work with three episodes left until the finale of a 10+-year-old series.

I think Genndy would know that, I feel that we'll be getting a 2-hour finale of sorts after Episode 10, like End of Evangelion.

dabig2

The much older hero getting a sexy young woman is a trope as old as recorded history (its in The Epic of Gilgamesh if I remember right).

That's like every hollywood movie too (and comics) where old fuckers self-insert themsevles. For example, I'm pretty sure Kitty Pryde lost her virginity to some old ass self insert author. And then of course Gwen Stacy cucking (I'm sorry for the term) Peter by fucking Green Goblin's self insert of every adult Spiderman writer.

Then again, we get some combo breakesr, like Aragorn and Arwen in lotr. She's like 1000 years old and his distant relative. Or Miss Pelegrine's Home of Peculariar children
where the main boy gets with his granddad's old squeeze or whatever.

Whatever. Jack and Ashi fits with the season, though I too feel it was a bit rushed and it was not was I expecting of the final season. I would've liked her to have been a character 10 years ago as setup, but fuck it. Let Jack slap some cheeks. I'm pretty sure he's a virgin still.

Yeah, let Jack have this one for once. That, and the end was amazing in the most bombastic way.

I wish this season had more episodes, but this season has been pretty great regardless, so I ain't complaining too much.

Trolling or not, this is actually good decision plot wise. Adds conflict. Jack is given one reason to not change the past. He'll still do it, but I think it adds that there is some sacrifice when she stops existing. She'll probably make the choice too.

On one hand, I thought this episode was pretty funny! Why not rush the romance and cram in sex jokes simultaneously? Lol

On the other hand, Im not a fan of the way Ashi's been generally handled. She's inconsistently naive and everything from her new lease on life to her first romance feels underdeveloped. Im guessing that any sad scene resulting in her death/disappearance will feel weak

Nordicus

On the other hand, Im not a fan of the way Ashi's been generally handled. She's inconsistently naive and everything from her new lease on life to her first romance feels underdeveloped.
Agreed, that's my main issue with the season.

That said, that fucking smash cut to full on frenching was still hilarious

jediyoshi

ayyyyyyy jacky boiiii

i4F7aW6.png

Burn this.

Kaswa101

Felt uncomfortable for a lot of the episode lol. Also don't really like how they've been sexualising Ashi so much in the recent episodes, but anyway. :/

Excited for the final two! :)

PixelatedBookake

I swear to god if we don't get resolution to this Ghost Scotsman plotline...
It almost feels like that scene only existed to say "Look guys! We put him in! Are you happy now?" I want to be proven wrong, but the episodes are dwindling and we haven't cut back to their family once. They should have shown up to help Ashi fight that army an episode ago.

I swear to god if we don't get resolution to this Ghost Scotsman plotline...
It almost feels like that scene only existed to say "Look guys! We put him in! Are you happy now?" I want to be proven wrong, but the episodes are dwindling and we haven't cut back to their family once. They should have shown up to help Ashi fight that army an episode ago.
For real. I don't know how they manage to wrap up all the loose ends in only two more episodes. Hope Genndy can pull it off.

Fuck man. I'm really not feeling this anymore. The first three episodes are absolutely wonderful. Well paced, subtle and mature. Now, it feels like plots are being wrapped up for the sake of wrapping them up and not for the sake of contributing anything to the story. No real moral conflict with the mother leaves Ashii two dimensional and boring. Speaking of her being two dimensional and boring, Jack is able to undo her entire belief system just by taking her to a few fucking places with dead bodies. Now, on to Jack being able to overcome 50 years of trauma and soul-crushing despair in five fucking minutes. This completely undermines his entire character arc and the fucking point of the first couple episodes. We fixed Angry Jack, his guild-caused hallucinations, and the whole sword conundrum so fast that it's disappointing. Original Jack shouldn't be the one fighting Aku. It needs to be grizzled, broken Jack, worn from all his trials but infinitely more experienced for it. Not only that, but now we're full on making out with little to no romantic build up AT ALL in any of these episodes save for this one. Now, I'm aware most of these issues are pacing problems that can be blamed on the fact that there are only ten episodes but honestly that makes it even worse. Our once in a lifetime revival of Samurai Jack is ruined by the fact that they couldn't give Genndy five more episodes to work with. The first three episodes are a preview for what could have been the best work in television for western animation probably ever and certainly the most mature storytelling Genndy has ever done. They were dark, brooding and every minute left you wondering. But now we're left with something that's probably going to ultimately be pretty fucking forgettable, which is sad.

Sorry for typos and maybe awkwardly formed sentences. Extremely tired. But yeah, I'm feeling kind of sad. Samurai Jack means a lot to me and I'm disappointed.

CDiggity

Could this have been handled better or differently? Yeah, probably, but I got some chuckles out of it.

I'm OK with this decision on the basis that Jack should get everything to be happy in the end, since he deserves it. It's not like it's any worse than a lot of other animated romance I've seen (since people seem to be making those connections in various circles), it just got a lot more blatant a lot quicker.

I do agree that the 10 episode format is hurting the show somewhat and the first few episodes were stronger than the most recent ones, but I have had fun so far and look forward to seeing if Jack can stick the landing. That Guardian preview tho.

Oh hey, tumblr is mad.

That's the secret though, Tumblr is always mad.

As for the episode itself i thought it was interesting and the interactions between these 2 since both have basically gotten their shit together is pretty awkward and hilarious.

But it now feels like Jack was literally replaced with the version from the older seasons rather than the version we saw in Season 5 episode 1 but i guess it shows his main issue was the PSTD he was suffering from.

Zubz

Banned
I have to agree with the general consensus here: the episode felt off, and although the romance plot was kinda cute, it felt weird to give it a whole episode when there's only 2 more left after this.

Also the use of licensed music was very jarring.

NEO0MJ

I'm just glad this is over. Next episode should be hype considering the preview showed
Jack, alone, in the Guardian's graveyard which is now a wasteland. Hope he isn't dead because that would make make my balls bluer than his skin.

Lmao, what happened to Jack being a father figure ��

Sometimes, daddy needs love, too.

I'm just glad this is over. Next episode should be hype considering the preview showed
Jack, alone, in the Guardian's graveyard which is now a wasteland. Hope he isn't dead because that would make make my balls bluer than his skin.

My theory is that he finds the Guardian and asks him what he needs to do to be worthy enough to to use the portal and the Guardian will tell him that he needs to defeat Future Aku before he can go back to the past and defeat him there.

Lanrutcon

I thought the episode was awesome.

The bit where she was in Jack's robe with the goddamn tower shield and twin-bladed staff? what a look!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom