• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHoot

mfw people are upset at this episode
giphy.gif

Some tumblrites are full of rage right now and i'm delighted

Should I ask why, or is it better if I don't know?

If I had to get in a Tumblr mindset it'd be that they transformed Ashi from the strong independent assassin woman (who don't need no manz~~) in the early episodes, to this super sexy waifu with a pleasing to the eye outfit/look, to Jack's official waifu.

I don't HATE the decision, but I would have vastly preferred Jack to stay as the sensei/teacher relationship and leave the future for her to take care of as he went back to the past. Maybe this will still happen though. Maybe it'll be a tragic romance where they decide the future still needs somebody to guide it to prosperity.

MrHoot

Mostly because a lot didn't want Ashi to be engaged in a relationship, either because of the age difference (which I find silly since both are adults anyway and Jack, while older in mind as also as socially inept as Ashi when it comes to a lot of things anyway), or because it removes er agency which I find debatable as I don't think relationship = ruined character.

I'm just ambivalent towards it myself. I would've been good with either

Mostly my personal glee is just that it comes from certain communities who forced the shit out of certain ships and had no problems with them and I get to have dumb fanbase salt

Haha he was never that to begin with. When his inner self told him "What did you expect a kiss and a hug?" that made it clear how he viewed her from the very beginning.

Yup. Between that and the whole Doe-Buck scene with Ashi and her sisters in Ep 3, it was pretty clear where the show was going to take this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I agree with the post saying this is mostly to cause Jack pain at the prospect of undoing the future. In hindsight it was constructed this way from the start. Jack could go back to the past believing that a lot of the people he's met might still exist, living better lives without Aku.

Ashi though only exists because of the cult. There's no way to save her.

Although, her mother might exist in a world without Aku, and might be a good person without Aku to twist her. Perhaps something is planned there.

Tizoc

It's gonna be hilarious when Scaramouch gets to Aku in the final battle, tells him Jack doesn't have his sword and then Aku assaults Jack only to see he still has his sword.

Fj0823

The age difference thing makes no sense to me. Where was the outrage in TLA with Aang and Kitara?

People don't think it counts because Aang was frozen in time, so he never really lived or matured those 100 years.

In the case of Jack and Ashi and
Trunks and Mai
in Dragon Ball Super the argument is that the older party remembers all those years of experiences so there's a maturity gap or something that makes it creepy.

Personally, I don't agree as the people involved are adults.

dabig2

The age thing isn't an issue for me but I think there wasn't any outrage with Aang and Katara because Aang was still a child mentally.

Yeah, suspended animation usually gets a pass. Meanwhile, Jack was a grizzled bearded veteran who looked like that lifer at your local seedy bar with a literal lifetime of regrets worn on his face, whereas Ashi was some sheltered teenager who didn't even know what deer were.

The age thing isn't an issue for me but I think there wasn't any outrage with Aang and Katara because Aang was still a child mentally.

I suppose, but like Fj said, they're both adults even if you don't account for the 50 year mental difference. Idk, I just find it funny.

olag

Man some people cant stand to see a man happy. Shit Jack's been holding that L for 50 years, let the man have something.

Geist-

I'm okay with the decision. At least they didn't make it a platonic romance that most cartoons and even many network dramas use.

Besides, if Jack had to wait to find another immortal girl with the same physical age, he'd never find love.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dreadful episode. First three episodes of this comeback were great and everything I wanted. Everything since? Blargh.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
People who are immortal or have extremely long life spans compared to others around them generally don't view themselves as elders or worry about age gap when seeking companionship. The Highlander franchise is a perfect example of this.

kewlmyc

Yikes, turned it off after 5 minutes or so. From the comments on here, I assume it doesn't get better. Not into bad romantic cringe.

Morlas

I don't know i've enjoyed every single episode also the age difference doesn't mean much to me when both parties involved are fully grown adults.

VeeP

Haha he was never that to begin with. When his inner self told him "What did you expect a kiss and a hug?" that made it clear how he viewed her from the very beginning.

I just remembered reading some posts in this thread about how Jack would be a father-like figure towards Ashi. I really don't care either way lol. People online getting way to angry at this.

Saw the latest episode & it basically felt like filler. Probably one of my least favorite of the revival so far. Not bad though, the Jack / Ashi sudden relationship felt shoe-horned in and handled clumsily, even if it did made some such, I guess, but there was a lot of great animation, and the opening with Jack's head turning into a fish was hilarious. Plus Jack's reaction to Ashi being naked was also hysterical.

Quite a bunch of the fandom there convinced themselves that Jack's relationship with Ashi would only be paternal. So it essentially boils down to "the series went against my headcanon, therefore it's a betrayal."

The age difference thing makes no sense to me. Where was the outrage in TLA with Aang and Kitara?

Or all the people that choose Liara as their love interest in Mass Effect lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was a fun episode and the cheesy romantic stuff was played for laughs. They basically went "how many romcom tropes can we fit in a single episode, let's find out!" and did it.

The episode obviously wasn't up to par with the first three, but then again that's the sort of stuff you send on a demo reel to the Academy to win an award.

I feel like the rage is because it went against people's head cannon. It wasn't a horrible episode by any means, not enough to engender this much outrage anyway.

Waste of an episode. There's been way too much filler for such a short season. This episode could have been cut, and the one with the kids and the one with all of the people from Jack's past could have been compressed into one so the more important plot points could have been given more time to breath.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Waste of an episode. There's been way too much filler for such a short season. This episode could have been cut, and the one with the kids and the one with all of the people from Jack's past could have been compressed into one so the more important plot points could have been given more time to breath.

You say that while having no idea as to whether or not this is going to be an important plot point going forward.

Here is a collection of some of those tumblr responses

Them some dumbass responses.

I was fine with it, but man was I excited to jump online and see how not-fine with it everyone else was.

Jack basically has been on the same mental plane since losing his sword and being in loop of cynicism and rage. And, as far as we know, he's never even been with anyone before this. It feels totally natural that this would happen, especially with someone who essentially grew up under the same, though much darker, circumstances that he did.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was fine with it, but man was I excited to jump online and see how not-fine with it everyone else was.

Jack basically has been on the same mental plane since losing his sword and being in loop of cynicism and rage. And, as far as we know, he's never even been with anyone before this. It feels totally natural that this would happen, especially with someone who essentially grew up under the same, though much darker, circumstances that he did.

She's basically the closest thing to an equal he's ever going to find. I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted this or not, I probably didn't, but after the episode I'm OK with it. Everybody needs somebody.

She's basically the closest thing to an equal he's ever going to find. I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted this or not, I probably didn't, but after the episode I'm OK with it. Everybody needs somebody.
Agreed, I was actually leaning towards not wanting it. But it works.

Ross61

There's one big flaw in that "Jack has aged thing", because he hasn't aged at all. And he still acts like he did when he was 20. He plainly said that in like the first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom