• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia announces new formation of a Military bloc to fight TERROR (34 States)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In odd news....
4ojpodl.jpg
A Riyadh-based “Islamic military alliance” has been formed with a mission to fight terrorism, Saudi Arabian state TV has announced. The coalition consists of 34 countries, including the Gulf States, a number of African countries, Turkey, Egypt, Malaysia and Pakistan.

Countries involved in the coalition aside from Saudi Arabia, include Jordan, the UAE, Pakistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, Turkey, Chad, Togo, Tunisia, Djibouti, Senegal, Sudan, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Gabon, Guinea, the partially-recognized state of Palestine, the Islamic Federal Republic of the Comoros, Qatar, Cote d’Ivoire, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Maldives, Mali, Malaysia, Egypt, Morocco, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Yemen.

“The countries here mentioned have decided on the formation of a military alliance led by Saudi Arabia to fight terrorism, with a joint operations centre based in Riyadh to coordinate and support military operations,” state news agency SPA quoted an official statement as saying.

"There will be international coordination with major powers and international organizations ... in terms of operations in Syria and Iraq. We can't undertake these operations without coordinating with legitimacy in this place and the international community," bin Salman said without elaborating.

Asked if the new alliance would focus just on Islamic State, bin Salman said it would confront not only that group but "any terrorist organization that appears in front of us."

Saudi Arabia and its Gulf Arab neighbors have been locked in nine months of warfare with Iran-allied rebels in neighboring Yemen, launching hundreds of air strikes there.

Especially after a rash of attacks on Western targets claimed by Islamic State in recent months, the United States has increasingly said it thinks that firepower would better be used against IS.

As a ceasefire is set to take hold in Yemen on Tuesday alongside United Nations-backed peace talks, Riyadh's announcement may signal a desire to shift its attention back toward the conflicts north of its borders.

Islamic State has pledged to overthrow the monarchies of the Gulf and have mounted a series of attacks on Shi'ite Muslim mosques and security forces in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/14/saudi-arabia-announces-military-alliance-terrorism
https://************/news/325929-islamic-coalition-terrorism-saudi/
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...dType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter

This is more likely a Sunni Alliance to prevent further Iranian dominance in that region

We all know that the Saudis are fighting in Yemen right now with Disators happening from all sides so this could just lead to failure....

FZZ

Banned
Pretty sure Pakistan doesn't want to get involved with Middle-East shenanigans

But I am surprised they signed the coalition

probably relation favour

as in they signed it but won't be actually moving in troops for it

I can see a bunch of states not moving in

Zapages

Sunni Nato or Sunni military Caliphate. :p

Surprised not to see Central Asian countries, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Gambia and few other smaller countries...

They should include Iran, Azerbaijan and few other Shia only countries...

Its not Sunni or Shia Problem but Muslim Problem that needs to be handled from both sects of Islam.

Pakistan is fully dependant on cheap Saudi oil.

I am sorry but Saudi sells Pakistan at higher price than to the USA/Europe/West.

Pakistan and most Muslim states signed it due to protect Mecca and Medina. Only reason from what I remember the view of the Pakistani military general.

Turkey, Egypt and Pakistan (nuclear power) have tremendous capabilities as militaries. This is hopefully a game changer.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
More like a new anti-Shia alliance, I don't trust anything that Saudi Arabia is involved with.

Linkyn

This should be interesting. Still, I'm assuming this alliance is limited to the war on terror (although I suppose it adds some spice to geopolitics, as well).

I mean look at some of those countries

Somalia, Yemen, Comoros

those are more like defend us then we will join in the fight.... I wonder if SA tried to get the Stan countries to join up

orochi91

Sunni Nato or Sunni military Caliphate. :p

Surprised not to see Central Asian countries, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Gambia and few other smaller countries...

Frankly, us Asian Muslims shouldn't get involved in Arab affairs, so I'm glad most of us have stayed out.

Though it is disappointing to see Pakistan and even Bangladesh get dragged into ME sectarian nonsense.

those are more like defend us then we will join in the fight.... I wonder if SA tried to get the Stan countries to join up

Us -stan countries shouldn't get involved.

We have nothing to do with ISIS for the most part and I feel getting involved would put a massive target on our backs.

Zapages

Frankly, us Asian Muslims shouldn't get involved in Arab affairs, so I'm glad most of us have stayed out.

Though it is disappointing to see Pakistan and Bangladesh get dragged into ME sectarian nonsense.

Molvi/Religious Clerics in Pakistan join up with the military and blackmail the government. Plus the whole Mecca and Medina sites need to be defended is the main reason why Pakistan gets dragged into this mess. Plus the whole situation in Afghanistan. :\

rambis

Banned
The Allied Muslim
Shinobi
Forces

Sweet.

/S

Idk if I can stomach much more large scale war in the middle east.

It's just for appearance. Don't expect anything beyond some military units and some hardware. Pakistani military is very pragmatic and they know fucking around in middle East isn't a good idea when your own backyard is a dump.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Does Saudi Arabia really have the standing to lead such a coalition long term?

No they really don't, the Saudi government always likes to pretend that they're part of the solution, when they're actually always the root of the problem.

orochi91

Does Saudi Arabia really have the standing to lead such a coalition long term?

They hold the most holy sites of all of Islam within their territory.

Most of these countries are involved to protect those sites from ISIS and other terror groups.

For instance, ISIS has previously expressed its desire to destroy the Ka'aba.

Everyone knows that the best way to fight terrorists you don't like is to fund and radicalise your own favourite terrorists. The world isn't just insane and run by morons it all makes sense.

You know the easiest way to tell that it isn't an Islamic coalition and it's a Sunni one? The second largest muslim military in the middle east, Iran, is nowhere to be found.

Good to see this is what Obama's been working on for a few years. /s

Mohonky

Well its good to know Saudi will defend itself
from those neutral moderates and their radical ideas about womens rights, lack of persecution and freedom of expression

Mohonky

this coalition was formed in the last 72 hours
https://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/676526982801326080

Riyadh was holding 3 summits these past few days and likely this came into fruition

Oman didn't join likely to stay neutral in all of this (not to displease Iran, etc...) like the always do

I like Oman, super friendly people and it stays the fuck out of all this shit entirely. I wouldnt be surprised if they are trying to find a way to cut the land away and float out to sea away from the shit fights around them.

Can't pick a better leader to fight terrorism than SA!

That was obviously sarcasm. They are absolutely the worst country to be involved in anything related to anti-terror.

This is probably just another front to push their geopolitical goals in reducing Iran's influence and exporting wahabism.

As the news stated this is similar to an Islamic NATO.
There are more countries that are considering to join but wasn't announced yet as the Arabic press release stated.

Mimosa97

People don't really understand how this works. This isn't 30 countries saying " Oh yeah we totally support the saudis and their leadership ".

All those sunni countries get shit tons of money from KSA. While they don't practice the same type of Islam and their respective populations absolutely despise/hate the saudis, their governments still cooperate a lot with KSA because : money.

Plus there's a sectarian proxy war going on ...

Mimosa97

Well this is fucking terrifying.

People have been asking other muslim countries to join the fight against ISIS. What did you expect ?

It's obvious that KSA was going to lead the party. Most muslim countries are broke AF with a weak army (except for Turkey and Egypt). The ones funneling money are the saudis, as always.

people have been asking for more Arab involvement in fighting terrorism.

it seems to be a case of "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it."

Those people are... what's the word for it...

Stupid. It's all just one long proxy war that we need to learn to not get involved in because the world isn't black and white and we can't keep acting like it is.

And yeah, this is just what the world needed in that region. Another ethno-religious hegemony ruled by a series of autocracies.

Something I noted
- Lebanon army is involved
- Palestinian is mentioned and knowing Saudi Arabia Hamas won't have any role given Saudi is secretly fighting the MB

Those people are... what's the word for it...

Stupid. It's all just one long proxy war that we need to learn to not get involved in because the world isn't black and white and we can't keep acting like it is.

And yeah, this is just what the world needed in that region. Another ethno-religious hegemony ruled by a series of autocracies.
So how would you rather fight tackle the problem of ISIS? Send American troops or let the region deal with it?

Zapages

You never have sources for your claims Zapages. Here is mine.

http://www.rand.org/blog/2015/06/what-pakistan-and-saudi-arabia-want-from-each-other.html

In any case it's undeniable that Saudi funnels billions and billions in aid to Pakistan.

Well here are my sources... I know what I am talking about here... Also the prices seem more expensive when I was visiting them this summer as compared to here.

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2015/08/05/...ing-leaves-light-to-u-s-unchanged/#30267101=0

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...es-december-oil-pricing-to-asia-cuts-for-u-s-

Anyway has anyone read this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-b:homepage/story

Quote from it:

That’s why she’s so stunned by what the House did last week and what the Senate is poised to do this week, with the Obama administration’s backing. In response to the Paris and San Bernardino attacks by Islamic State sympathizers, Congress is tightening visa requirements for people with ties to Syria and Iraq (where the Islamic State is) who visit America from Europe. But the lawmakers also cracked down on visitors with ties to Iran and Sudan (where the Islamic State isn’t) and included European nationals who have dual citizenship with any of the four countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom