• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saya no Uta |OT| Eldrich Abomination Love

Izayoi

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Yes and it's horrible. They also changed the story pretty much completely, so I have no idea why they even used it as adaption material.
Yep. The comic was probably one of the worst adaptions of all time.

It's right up there with Dragonball: Evolution, or the Uwe Boll movies.

Hell, it's worse than the Uwe Boll movies.

Instro

Heard of this before, it certainly sounds interesting. Might see my way to checking it out at some point or another.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This VN was amazing :D I laughed but then again I have a sick sense of humor or well that's how I cope with nasty shit xD

I need to finish G-String now though

gsenjou.jpg

so fucking gooooooooooooooooooooood

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You sir have good taste. G-Senjou is great! Might want to give Sharin no Kuni a shot after that if you haven't already since it's the same studio and I think a bit better.

Tomat said:
Might try this one, how long is it?
About 5-6 hours if you read at a normal pace.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
LiK said:
I read the wiki already. Pretty sick stuff.

I suggest people avoid wiki'ing this, the wiki entry spoil way too much in the first paragraph.

Finally this game got its own thread. For people that hate anime, just treat it as a light novel with some cg, the translation and music is really well done.

Seriously, if you are anime averse (then you are probably not reading this thread), but the minutae of the story doesn't fall into typical anime tropes, minus the titular character whom you can pretend to be whatever age you want. With different art but the exact same text, it would work beautifully as a modern lovecraft novella.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yogurt is not a snack that compliments this game.

*edit*

Scratch that, I don't recommend food at all while playing :|

Tomat

InfiniteNine said:
I don't know I think it's workable!

Oddly enough I just got to that scene.

*edit*

A couple of frames later... I feel bad for laughing, but this game is crazy!

Extollere said:
Started it last night. Creepy game... my only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be a way to full screen the application without it stretching the aspect ratio out. The patch can also be a little difficult to read, due to it's lack of proper word wrapping and no hyphens.

Want to see how this will progress though, and FWIW, to the OP, I'd probably suggest a short paragraph explaining what kind of game this is (in terms of genre/style etc...) Most average gamers have probably never played, or even heard of visual novels.
You have to download and install Applocale and add the Japanese keyboard option. Then right click the exe. and pick "start with applocale" each time you play. Doing so will fix the text issues.

Also... YES... BUNCHA BITCHES ABOUT TO BE MINDFUCKED UP IN THIS HERE THREAD...
ps3pm.jpg

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
You have to download and install Applocale and add the Japanese keyboard option. Then right click the exe. and pick "start with applocale" each time you play. Doing so will fix the text issues.

Also... YES... BUNCHA BITCHES ABOUT TO BE MINDFUCKED UP IN THIS HERE THREAD...http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3866/ps3pm.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I don't know I just keep my computer in Japanese locale and I have less issues with Japanese software in general. Although that might be easier for people on XP or something.

Dresden

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
This poor soul... Missed out on something far more disturbing than any Silent Hill game...
I dunno. I think SH2/3 deliver more on the horror front.

InfiniteNine said:
I don't know I just keep my computer in Japanese locale and I have less issues with Japanese software in general. Although that might be easier for people on XP or something.
That's what I usually do, although some games (cough DC Universe Online cough) just crash randomly if you don't switch back.

Dresden said:

SH2 kept me awake more in the "is that a nurse monster moving around in my closet" sense while Saya no Uta kept me up by thinking about it non-stop. The latter is more disturbing than scary, but it will still keep you awake just knowing that a human somewhere was crazy enough to write something like it.

Articalys

InfiniteNine said:
Can't really experience it truly from just that man. The lack of the music, screams, scenes, and visuals can't really be replicated by plain text.

I mean the first few minutes are memorable! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHJ05TbDxU
Hoh-lee shit that was creepy. I read about the story a long time ago but that was my first time actually seeing it in motion. Powerful storytelling as it is, this definitely ain't for me.

cosmicblizzard said:
SH2 kept me awake more in the "is that a nurse monster moving around in my closet" sense while Saya no Uta kept me up by thinking about it non-stop. The latter is more disturbing than scary, but it will still keep you awake just knowing that a human somewhere was crazy enough to write something like it.
Precisely. I'm a big fan of SH, but I have never found any of the Silent Hills scary or disturbing; I've seen too many horror movies for that sort of experience to bug me. Saya no Uta though, was just something else... It's far more messed up and disturbing than anything in Silent Hill. As Cosmic said, it's creepy just to think of the people who'd sat there and imagined the story as it was so nihilistic. Much in the same sense that I get creeped out thinking about what kind of a person the Marquis de Sade was, or the guys behind August Underground.

Durante

Dresden said:
I believe there's a difference between straight up horror and being disturbing, and I think Saya no Uta excels at the latter.

By the way, great job with the VN threads recently InfiniteNine.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
InfiniteNine said:

Well that fixed my text issues for me... on a side note, does anybody know how to maintain 4:3 aspect ratios on nvidia cards with the latest software? I've read that it can be done, but there doesn't appear to be an option for it anywhere in the nvidia control panel...

I need to play fullscreen (sitting far away) but I can't deal with stretching (call it a psychological issue if you have to...)

Tomat

Just finished this a little bit ago, definitely not what I expected at all. First VN I've ever read through, can't really say I expected one like this to be the first either.

Definitely a disturbing game.

Extollere said:
The patch can also be a little difficult to read, due to it's lack of proper word wrapping and no hyphens.

Installing applocale apparently helps with this:
Without applocale
WithoutJapaneseLocale.jpg

With applocale
WithJapaneseLocale.jpg

edit: oh I see you solved it.

Swag

Durante said:
I believe there's a difference between straight up horror and being disturbing, and I think Saya no Uta excels at the latter.

The VN wasn't really scary except for maybe 2 parts, and even those are very lackluster attempts at scaring the reader, having spent some time on 4chan the gore spewed everywhere wasn't bad, what's really disturbing though are the characters especially the main character and his interactions with Saya.

The fact that you never get to see Saya in her full tentacle form makes it worse
, it's like a 5 hour mindfuck, knowing what's going on behind the pretty art.

Ok, for a non anime human what is this, how do I try it and will my gf get a restraining order on me if she sees it?

Tl;dr I not know japanese, but ill try anything once. How do I play?

malingenie said:
Ok, for a non anime human what is this, hoe do I try it and will my gf get a restraining order on me if she sees it?

Non anime as in you aren't a fan of anime or you literally are not an anime human? If it's the former, this will probably be a bit too much for you. If it's the latter, well I'm sorry to hear that.

Might not want to let your gf see you play it if you do decide to unless she's open-minded, at least not the sex scenes.

Edit: To actually play it, you'll need a copy of the game. Then you can install the English patch. All the info is in the OP.

Tomat

malingenie said:
Ok, for a non anime human what is this, how do I try it and will my gf get a restraining order on me if she sees it?

Tl;dr I not know japanese, but ill try anything once. How do I play?

You can purchase the game on the internet (check the links in the OP). Once you get it, you can install a free fan-made translation patch.

It's like reading a book, but there's background music, voice acting, and CG art that all come together to give you a good sense of the atmosphere of the story . At certain points in the story there are different branches you can take (Think Mass Effect Choose Your Own Adventure Books) in the storyline that will ultimately result in a different ending.

As far as your girlfriend and the restraining order, I really wouldn't recommend introducing her to visual novels with this one (Heavy gore and (light spoilers)
some rape scenes
). I don't want to overhype the game, but I've seen plenty of gore and sex in video games, and this game still managed to shock me.

Hope that helps a bit. If anyone else has anything else to add please do, this is the first time I've tried to describe a visual novel to someone.

sotodefonk said:
definelty looks interesting... Can I play it in something different from a PC or a DS? like a PSP or Ipod touch?

A quick Google search says it's possible on an Ipod touch/Iphone, but it looks like you'd have to fool around with some stuff to get it to work.

HK-47 said:
Truly more sinister than anything Lovecraft ever dreamed of.

I've still got to finish this but nothing has come close to Lovecraft for me. His writing is masterful. It will take more than whacky anime art...

Oh wait you were kidding, haha!

So far though I really dig it though. It's my first visual novel.

Applocale isn't working for me. I'm getting an error message about the game.ini...

K701

Banned
This VN is a good starting point if you are interested in the genre. Easy to follow storyline, good pacing, short and to the point. So much so, in fact that on other communities it's reffered to as "Baby's first VN".

Also the first bad (or good depending on your POV) ending has an AMAZING song called shoes of glass that PERFECTLY conveys the overall mood & feeling of reading this VN.

Gaogaogao

K701 said:
This VN is a good starting point if you are interested in the genre. Easy to follow storyline, good pacing, short and to the point. So much so, in fact that on other communities it's reffered to as "Baby's first VN".
maybe if you are interested in traumatizing a baby for life...

Risette

A Good Citizen
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Applocale isn't working for me. I'm getting an error message about the game.ini...
Is your install folder named with Japanese characters? Rename it with normal/English/whatever letters and make a new shortcut.

So I finally started this tonight. Uh... doesn't waste any time, does it?

I can't think of how this can end other than Fuminori killing himself, but I'm interested to see!

tearsofash

I haven't played very much of this, but I can't seem to get into it. Not sure if it's the sound effects putting me off, or its tiny resolution. I will go onward, though. It seems interesting enough so far, although the incomprehensible parts are tiring.

tiff said:
What's the point if Applocale if you can just throw that shit in Japanese locale?

Psh, all the cool kids use pApploc (modified ver that fixes some issues) + right-click context menu. Never opens the applocale window and just starts the VN while still keeping good ol' American locale.

Top Bottom