• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Anung

Un Rama
My favourites are usually half blind where one person has intimate knowledge to guide the other.

Least favourites is Evil Within and Rising and all the double blinds we've got recently.

Skrams

So you would rather have them complaining and dying in the final boss fight like 10 times?
Yes

If they complained to try and justify them losing then that would of been a sight to see. In reality I don't think they would of complained as they were on normal difficulty. Even if they died a lot they could of just edited it out like any other LP they've done.

aly

So you would rather have them complaining and dying in the final boss fight like 10 times?

Yes. If it got too bad then editing could fix that. Or it would be better for one person to play through and the other person be blind. Anything but fake hype would be better.

kewlmyc

At least the podcast, FNF/SMS, Let's Watches, and one offs are still pretty good.

Speaking of, did they do a let's watch for the Nintendo Direct? If so, when will it be up?

Edzi

Oh come on, Revengeance is like the worst example you can use to make your point. Not only was that playthrough forever ruined by the fact that they faked their reactions and disingenuously pretended they were still playing blind, but it was a linear character action game that Pat was picking up pretty easily, so I'm sure they would have had little trouble beating the game.

Mat-triX

The only good thing about me skipping certain episodes of their recent LPs is that it allowed me to watch all of Rick and Morty.

What was Pat talking about when he was saying the show is Cringe-y (in a good way)? The show is weird, ridiculous; it's alot of things, but cringe worthy is not one of them.

Numb

i stayed up for this.....

images

The only good thing about me skipping certain episodes of their recent LPs is that it allowed me to watch all of Rick and Morty.

What was Pat talking about when he was saying the show is Cringe-y (in a good way)? The show is weird, ridiculous; it's alot of things, but cringe worthy is not one of them.

Yeah it's too ridiculous to be cringy, almost everyone in that universe is ridiculous in some way so there's nothing to cringe at. Cringe commonly occurs when a universe contains almost excusively normal people and main characters start doing awkard stuff.

Louie, Bojack Horseman, Peep Show, etc. That's the real cringe.

Skrams

Yeah it's too ridiculous to be cringy, almost everyone in that universe is ridiculous in some way so there's nothing to cringe at. Cringe commonly occurs when a universe contains almost excusively normal people and main characters start doing awkard stuff.

Louie, Bojack Horseman, Peep Show, etc. That's the real cringe.

Someone brought this up a while ago too. I'll just copy my reply.

"Unless I'm an idiot cringe isn't necessarily tied to second hand embarrassment. I can cringe or wince if a man gets hit in the balls in front of me. Rick and Morty is cringe maximum except pure horror. A man was paralyzed right in front of my eyes. Oh god I can't contain my laughter, but oh god I'm also recoiling in fear. Or cringing or whatever."

I really can't wait for the podcast to hear what Pat has to say about Fallout 4. I'm loving the game so far and I want to hear how he's liking/hating it. He said he was just going to wait for patches after playing a little but then he backed down and started playing it again.

I really can't wait for the podcast to hear what Pat has to say about Fallout 4. I'm loving the game so far and I want to hear how he's liking/hating it. He said he was just going to wait for patches after playing a little but then he backed down and started playing it again.

Bethesda's actually patching the game? I'd assume the community would just make mods to fix performance and stuff like they usually do for Bethesda games.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So going by replies, gaffers want Lps that do not have prefabricated hype. Interesting.
If his twitter is anything to go by, he has already started farming resources like he would in FF14.

I'd say hes enjoying it.

So going by replies, gaffers want Lps that do not have prefabricated hype. Interesting.

More like they don't want to know if it was prefabricated or not. Like my 12 year old self when I found out WWE was fake :(

Well I still watch WWE, but mostly because I hate myself and love some of the roster.

I just prefer they stop trying to fill dead air because they're worried we don't care about the game and just pay attention to the damn games plot or tutorials instead of constantly going "Wha happen!?" in literally everything these days.

finally got Fallout 4 working
turns out you just cant go fullscreen gotta go borderless
so tomorrow we in there
after i take 30min to an hour making my character =/

Anung

Un Rama

Its not surprising really. One of these guys biggest strengths is that they are legit. If I wanted fake pandering reactions there's a million other LP'ers for that. The Rising thing wasn't malicious, they couldn't help playing ahead because because of excitement. But faking it wasn't the answer. And as some of us have said it's retroactively ruined the LP.

Its not surprising really. One of these guys biggest strengths is that they are legit. If I wanted fake pandering reactions there's a million other LP'ers for that. The Rising thing wasn't malicious, they couldn't help playing ahead because because of excitement. But faking it wasn't the answer. And as some of us have said it's retroactively ruined the LP.

Faking it was the answer. Telling people it was faked is what ruined it for some.

The monster in the server room for Soma is definitely the best by far. While its design is nothing special, the lighting of the server room and flashlight and the sound design are really selling the encounter. Was pretty unimpressed by the first few encounters, but this is pretty cool.

Anung

Un Rama
Faking it was the answer. Telling people it was faked is what ruined it for some.

The monster in the server room for Soma is definitely the best by far. While its design is nothing special, the lighting of the server room and flashlight and the sound design are really selling the encounter. Was pretty unimpressed by the first few encounters, but this is pretty cool.

Ignorance was bliss.

Yeah, the early SOMA monsters were lacking. I think it might be the point though as it makes them pathetic instead of scary. Some of the later stuff is excellente.

Speaking of faking it, I must admit I couldn't get over the feeling Matt was faking all his scares in this year's shitstorm. Pat even made note of it, saying how Matt had like a delayed reaction to every scare in one of the video's.
That might be my imagination, but it did somewhat effect my enjoyment this year.
Revengeance is rather obviously faked, so it didn't bother me.

dont worry
the final monster is legit spooks
dont look at it or let it see you or your dead
only the dark areas can keep it from seeing you aswell

Skrams

You make this sound as if that's a crazy thing or something.
Speaking of faking it, I must admit I couldn't get over the feeling Matt was faking all his scares in this year's shitstorm. Pat even made note of it, saying how Matt had like a delayed reaction to every scare in one of the video's.
That might be my imagination, but it did somewhat effect my enjoyment this year.
Pretty sure that's just Matt. He's been pretty lethargic lately.

Hindsight is 20/20. I also just straight up don't believe that you caught it immediately and realized oh yes, they played ahead, of course.

kewlmyc

It's a super enjoyable game, but dear god, the jank is unbelievable. It randomly takes me 5 seconds to pull out a new weapon after selecting it.

PC version, btw.

Well from the odd few Shitstorm 4 videos I watched, I got the impression Matt had played most of them before to a certain point.

convo

Well from the odd few Shitstorm 4 videos I watched, I got the impression Matt had played most of them before to a certain point.

I say LPs that have at least one of them know the deal and the other playing the game are my favorite LPs. I don't know if Woolie and Liam are ever going to do a Nier LP, but Liams experience and his completed save files could make it possible so they don't have to deal with any of the grind.
Complete blind playthroughs can go either way. Bloodborne worked well since it is mainly gameplay and not much to talk over.

Skrams

I say LPs that have at least one of them know the deal and the other playing the game are my favorite LPs. I don't know if Woolie and Liam are ever going to do a Nier LP, but Liams experience and his completed save files could make it possible so they don't have to deal with any of the grind.
Complete blind playthroughs can go either way. Bloodborne worked well since it is mainly gameplay and not much to talk over.
That's not how Nier works. The NG+ in Nier starts you at the half way point. There's also little grinding in Nier anyway. It's been a bit, but the worst thing I remember is having to get all the weapons. I can't remember if you need to upgrade them fully though. If you do then that's where it would be helpful if Liam had a save handy. I kind of doubt he does though because reasons.

A Nier LP would probably need some editing anyway or longer parts since it's Astro Boy all over again.

Nier really doesnt work like the way you're thinking. The only grinding in the game is finding all the weapons at the end to unlock the true ending, but that's it. No need for multiple save files or anything.

kewlmyc

That's not how Nier works. The NG+ in Nier starts you at the half way point. There's also little grinding in Nier anyway. It's been a bit, but the worst thing I remember is having to get all the weapons. I can't remember if you need to upgrade them fully though. If you do then that's where it would be helpful if Liam had a save handy. I kind of doubt he does though because reasons.

A Nier LP would probably need some editing anyway or longer parts since it's Astro Boy all over again.

What was the problem with Astro Boy again? Never watched it.

Skrams

What was the problem with Astro Boy again? Never watched it.

You have to play through Astro Boy again after finishing it for the extra level or best ending. It requires going to certain levels, talking to certain NPCs, and going back and forth. Astro Boy parts got longer near the end to compensate for this. 45 Minutes then 58 then an hour+ for the finale. That or they did it because the LP had a super low view count.

If they were to go through all endings of Nier then they would probably have to edit down or make longer parts to compensate.

Hindsight is 20/20. I also just straight up don't believe that you caught it immediately and realized oh yes, they played ahead, of course.

Lol, good thing I got evidence for judge skrams. Look up the Monsoon episode. I'm in the comments declaring it fake, and I state my arguement there.
For brevity's sake; I called it because of how easily Pat found Monsoon's head during the boss fight. But, honestly, I think if you played the game beforehand it's really easy to tell it's not their first run. Not just because of the ease that they handle the game, but also how calm they are at a few of the more insane moments.

Skrams

Lol, good thing I got evidence for judge skrams. Look up the Monsoon episode. I'm in the comments declaring it fake, and I state my arguement there.
For brevity's sake; I called it because of how easily Pat found Monsoon's head during the boss fight. But, honestly, I think if you played the game beforehand it's really easy to tell it's not their first run. Not just because of the ease that they handle the game, but also how calm they are at a few of the more insane moments.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to find your comment among 1253, but egg on my face anyway since you saw through their lies and deceit in the Monsoon video or earlier. I think it's strange that it didn't bother you because of it somehow being rather obvious, but if it didn't then oh well. I feel like it would bother me more if I assumed it was the case and then it became true. I only had the hunch when rewatching the LP later a second time, but didn't think it was completely obvious. I didn't want to immediately assume they were lying probably either. It might just be because I was plowing through best friends content at the time as I started watching in 2013ish. Either way, I'm sorry for not trusting you.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to find your comment among 1253, but egg on my face anyway since you saw through their lies and deceit in the Monsoon video or earlier. I think it's strange that it didn't bother you because of it somehow being rather obvious, but if it didn't then oh well. I feel like it would bother me more if I assumed it was the case and then it became true. I only had the hunch when rewatching the LP later a second time, but didn't think it was completely obvious. I didn't want to immediately assume they were lying probably either. It might just be because I was plowing through best friends content at the time as I started watching in 2013ish. Either way, I'm sorry for not trusting you.

Geez Skrams, do you need to take everything I say directly to heart?
I never directly insult people I dislike, I avoid them, or I'm less jokey about it. Throwing out a silly insult like 'judge skrams' is my way of being friendly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The one thing that stood out to me in the Monsoon fight was how they kept checking the codec because they were expecting a hint about using EMP grenades and it never came. It was really suspicious. They wanted to frame it so that the game gave them the hint and they could start using it naturally.

Still, I wanted to believe it was genuine, so I kinda ignored it as maybe only one of them having beaten it already.

And despite it being full of fake hype, I still think it's one of their best LPs and I openly recommend it to new people. The issue is that formula doesn't work for most other games.

Skrams

Geez Skrams, do you need to take everything I say directly to heart?
I never directly insult people I dislike, I avoid them, or I'm less jokey about it. Throwing out a silly insult like 'judge skrams' is my way of being friendly.

I came off as a dick, you called me out with evidence, and I felt bad for being a dick. Uh, sorry for being forward about it or whatever I did. I kind of just glimpse over jokes at times because it's the internet.

The one thing that stood out to me in the Monsoon fight was how they kept checking the codec because they were expecting a hint about using EMP grenades and it never came. It was really suspicious. They wanted to frame it so that the game gave them the hint and they could start using it naturally.

Still, I wanted to believe it was genuine, so I kinda ignored it as maybe only one of them having beaten it already.

And despite it being full of fake hype, I still think it's one of their best LPs and I openly recommend it to new people. The issue is that formula doesn't work for most other games.

It's definitely something I wanted to take genuine because I just didn't want to doubt them at the time. I don't think I'd have any problem recommending it to a person now if I told them the situation about it. I'd rather that then the person finding out later and feeling weird about it like some of us do.

The last metal gear video was annoying to watch. They literally missed on information from the tape and discussed irrelevant stuff. It's a shame because they weren't like this before.

I came off as a dick, you called me out with evidence, and I felt bad for being a dick. Uh, sorry for being forward about it or whatever I did. I kind of just glimpse over jokes at times because it's the internet.

Fair enough, I'll try to keep my own dickishness more in check as well.

Top Bottom