• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Steven_Seagal_zoomed.gif~c200

Relevant.

As someone who loves dumb shit, that line and delivery just tickles my funny bone.

Hey, at least we know why the Soma LP's kinda janky! They keep stopping and starting, so they completely forget what they're doing and how to play!

Xux

This Soma LP's pretty great. The game's quickly climbing up the list of things I wish I played instead of LPing.

MrHoot

Honestly i've been loving the undertale LP as well as the SOMA one and the other stuff.
I think Matt has been doing on average pretty good on the fights (especially flowey or asgore. I mean looking at other lps, some get just WRECKED at flowey. Even with Temmie armor. He did pretty well considering he didn't get offed immediately. And the latest part on vessel is just great. I love seeing reactiosn to that part of the game. And seems like they turned around a bit on Alphys too). This is the first post wedding episode too, it seems like they're a little bit more calm. I hope Matt is doing alright !

The SOMA one i like too. It could use more editing but honestly, as someone who has not played the game due to just being too busy, I wasn't too frustrated (some parts I was genuinely baffled like Pat as I couldn't see the solution immediately. Some others I did). Still I think it's pretty solid. The fact that the story is actually captivating them too helps a lot too. And destructo-pat is fucking hilarious.

The Mirror's edge one seems to be short and sweet too. Reboot keeps being funny just because of pure suffering.

The only one I'm not watching at this point is mostly Metal Gear mostly because i've been still waiting to finish my marathon.

Honestly, it's starting to nicely shape up. I'm having fun watching them again, and the last podcast was good too ! Looking forward for this week

Yeah the SOMA and Undertale LP's have been really good and the latest Undertale ep that was recently released on Vessel was really good. All I'm waiting on now is for the MGSV LP to finally end.

Anung

Un Rama
This Soma LP's pretty great. The game's quickly climbing up the list of things I wish I played instead of LPing.

Drop the LP and come back to it. This game is so good and you'll enjoy it way more if you experience it yourself. Plus the guys are bungling it in places this LP. Get it pure form the source :D

zeemumu

Are you talking about when they are close to a body and the screen gets fuzzy? Ya, they mentioned it parts ago.
Yes, they don't mention it anymore since it's pretty much everywhere now.

No, not the glitching out. The color imbalance and the screen gets slightly blurry the longer they go without using the glowing sphincters after being injured.

When I first saw it I was doing a puzzle and didn't know if it was the screen or just my eyes being bad. You can turn it off in the menu and I don't know if they did.

Anung

Un Rama
I can't stand playing games like Soma, so I'd much rather watch the LP. I'm enjoying the hell out of it though.

I'm usually pretty good at horror games but some of the later stuff had me frozen stiff. It gets so oppressive I nearly had a panic attack
Fuck the ocean

joe2187

Banned
I can't stand playing games like Soma, so I'd much rather watch the LP. I'm enjoying the hell out of it though.

I feel the same way, But I played through SOMA anyway.

It's sooooo much better than the Amnesia games, mostly because of the setting and atmosphere ( and interactable NPCs)

I'm usually pretty good at horror games but some of the later stuff had me frozen stiff. It gets so oppressive I nearly had a panic attack
Fuck the ocean

Part of it is because I get super spooked, the other is I just hate the horror genre. Like Pat, I much prefer survival horror like Silent Hill/Resident Evil.

I feel the same way, But I played through SOMA anyway.

It's sooooo much better than the Amnesia games, mostly because of the setting and atmosphere ( and interactable NPCs)

I don't doubt its better than Amnesia. Its seems like a much better designed game from what I've seen and I love the atmosphere of it way more.

I've thought about checking out SOMA myself, as I'm digging the bleak as hell setting and everything looks way more appealing than Amnesia ever did for me.

But then I remember that I played Alien Isolation last year and as fantastic as that game was, the tension from that was enough for one lifetime that it makes me want to skip playing and continue absorbing it through the LP.

Anung

Un Rama
SOMA 8 was better. Hopefully with this being a separate session they'll have seen feedback.

As much I love Simpsons quotes (and I do love them) they aren't even tangentially related to anything on screen anymore. Matt just says them.

Skrams

Liam had more to say on reddit. Whatever the technical difficulty was it lead to him needing to restore his PC, but the footage is safe on a usb stick.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoBestFriendsPlay/comments/3sz4v7/no_nintendo_lets_watch_tonight/cx2fysm
Does recording videos just make computers explode or something? Or is Liam's shit just exploding constantly? I feel like he's had these problems in the past. Time to just wipe the drive and start over.
Honestly i've been loving the undertale LP as well as the SOMA one and the other stuff.
I think Matt has been doing on average pretty good on the fights (especially flowey or asgore. I mean looking at other lps, some get just WRECKED at flowey. Even with Temmie armor. He did pretty well considering he didn't get offed immediately. And the latest part on vessel is just great. I love seeing reactiosn to that part of the game. And seems like they turned around a bit on Alphys too). This is the first post wedding episode too, it seems like they're a little bit more calm. I hope Matt is doing alright !

Honestly, it's starting to nicely shape up. I'm having fun watching them again, and the last podcast was good too ! Looking forward for this week

I keep hearing conflicting things regarding Undertale's Neutral End Boss.
Does the Temmie armor actually have an impact for the Flowey battle or not? I've heard no before and I would think no too considering the nature of the battle. I need to watch the latest episode to have a better input, but Matt would of died multiple times over to other bosses without Temmie armor.

I think he's been pretty mediocre at the game and I really would of preferred Liam steering since I think he would of allowed Matt to enjoy the story while Liam did alright or better at the game. Can't really do anything about it now, but man, just watching Matt barely move around or get hit 5 times in a row which would of killed him normally. It's just Lazy Shell all over again.

Disgraced

@ MGS V Pt. 39:

Yeah, I am the complete opposite kind of MG fan of Pat, which makes sense in hindsight. His favorite or at least one of his favorite MG moments being Big Mama's EVA's (fuck you) fifteen minute monologue in the church in 4—fuuuuuuuuck that part! That cutscene is god-awfully boring and that section is the worst of the game. The only good parts are the Gillian Seed disguise and the bit everyone's seen as a GIF. That fucking cutscene. She talks for fifteen minutes and her point is that the cast of MGS3 is the Patriots and blah-blah-blah the Boss' will. Oh, and I was your surrogate mother. The end.

Truth be told, I don't know what my favorite moment in MG is but it sure as shit ain't that, good god. If I had to pick it's probably the stock footage of animals from MGS1 or one of 3's portions or V's missions, but it is so not any of the exposition in 4. At least the exposition in 1-3 is like HS history class again, 4's is... Oh god, just shut up. I don't care unless the monkey in a diaper is around. Look at Snake, he doesn't even fucking care he just wants to smoke himself to death.

Squishy3

the best moment in MGS period is clearly mount snakemore on outer haven

that fist fight between two effectively 80 year old men is also pretty good. also finished until dawn. what a good ass game, time to watch the LP

Anung

Un Rama
Podcast:
It Follows third act is intentional. Obviously the quality is debatable.

And Sleep Paralysis is the worst D: Luckily it's been a while since I've had it.

Geg

Oh man, there's sleep paralysis talk in the podcast? The only time it's happened to me it ended up happening three times in a single night. Luckily I didn't have any of the weird dream hallucinations that are supposed to come with it

Patschwitz is hilarious, I want a video of that.

And yes, Sleep paralysis is horrifying. It's happened to me maybe like 10-15 times in my life and every time it happened I have been afraid to go back to sleep. In my most recent one I couldn't move or speak, a pale faceless man walked up to me and began to choke me to death and I kept trying to scream for help even though I couldn't speak.

yep...

Anung

Un Rama
The Guts statue in the preview video is $300. I'm jealous and I want it.

I seen the same statue while in japan. I could have justified buying it as a souvenir but couldn't fit it in my case :( they had a Casca, Griffith and Guts on a horse as well. They looked amazing.

I did see something Matt would have loved. A predator riding a horse Xenomorph. I wonder if he already has it?

Disgraced

Podcast:
It Follows third act is intentional. Obviously the quality is debatable.
Oh sweet, they talked about It Follows this week? I saw it the other day too. Guess I gotta listen then.

I liked it, but it had a few moments I wasn't feeling. That last act is indeed debatable, but I thought the ending was strong. It'd probably be better with a couple scenes ripped out and couple others reworked to compensate.

Pat, with regards to making characters in Fallout 4:

Can't you just download a save file with the face you want from before leaving the Vault, then just use the Vault-leaving options to set the stats however you want on your personal Cena?

Also, I'm like 90% that footie story from the podcast is pure fiction. Pat's right, that's beyond cartoonish. It reminds me of the absurd Gabe Newell Riverboat Gambling Story that Randy Pitchford made up.

MrHoot

Does recording videos just make computers explode or something? Or is Liam's shit just exploding constantly? I feel like he's had these problems in the past. Time to just wipe the drive and start over.

I keep hearing conflicting things regarding Undertale's Neutral End Boss.
Does the Temmie armor actually have an impact for the Flowey battle or not? I've heard no before and I would think no too considering the nature of the battle. I need to watch the latest episode to have a better input, but Matt would of died multiple times over to other bosses without Temmie armor.

I think he's been pretty mediocre at the game and I really would of preferred Liam steering since I think he would of allowed Matt to enjoy the story while Liam did alright or better at the game. Can't really do anything about it now, but man, just watching Matt barely move around or get hit 5 times in a row which would of killed him normally. It's just Lazy Shell all over again.

In regards to the temmie armor
He still dies a fair amount of time. Since Flowey doesn't have "turns" anyway you can't really exploit the temmie armor so easily to regenerate and your armor value is the same as almost everyone else. He dies to asgore too and gets that little extra snippet of information

I don't think Matt is really that bad. He's not the stellar Undertale player (but no let's player i've seen has been really most of the time. Cryaotic is worse for example in my opinion). However he still gets through the game consistently. It's far from being a lazy shell type of problem.

Lazy shell was boring because all Super Mario RPG had going for it in terms of game pacing besides a few funny setpieces was combat, and notably bosses (. The moment you trivialize them (and they're not exceptionally hard to begin with really) then the game (and the commentary) gets really boring, which kinda what happened. There was no real tension left so the remainder of Mario RPG became a light podcast, since there wasn't much to talk/get excited about.

For Undertale, a big part of it's strength comes through the story, and the mechanics of the fights in themselves are interesting enough that it really doesn't matter if he's wearing Temmie armor or not. And they're actually involved in the story completely compared to Mario RPG which didn't have much going for apart from a few quirks to be fair. Truthfully, I actually am pretty happy he does. First of all he and Liam got to discover one aspect of the game that's pretty funny (Tem goes to cool leg), and considering if he didn't have it he maybe would've been more frustrated with some parts. Instead we get a steady pacing for the game and still get genuine reactions to all the fights. I think it's pretty much a success.

Skrams

In regards to the temmie armor
He still dies a fair amount of time. Since Flowey doesn't have "turns" anyway you can't really exploit the temmie armor so easily to regenerate and your armor value is the same as almost everyone else. He dies to asgore too and gets that little extra snippet of information

I don't think Matt is really that bad. He's not the stellar Undertale player (but no let's player i've seen has been really most of the time. Cryaotic is worse for example in my opinion). However he still gets through the game consistently. It's far from being a lazy shell type of problem.

Lazy shell was boring because all Super Mario RPG had going for it in terms of game pacing besides a few funny setpieces was combat, and notably bosses (. The moment you trivialize them (and they're not exceptionally hard to begin with really) then the game (and the commentary) gets really boring, which kinda what happened. There was no real tension left so the remainder of Mario RPG became a light podcast, since there wasn't much to talk/get excited about.

For Undertale, a big part of it's strength comes through the story, and the mechanics of the fights in themselves are interesting enough that it really doesn't matter if he's wearing Temmie armor or not. And they're actually involved in the story completely compared to Mario RPG which didn't have much going for apart from a few quirks to be fair. Truthfully, I actually am pretty happy he does. First of all he and Liam got to discover one aspect of the game that's pretty funny (Tem goes to cool leg), and considering if he didn't have it he maybe would've been more frustrated with some parts. Instead we get a steady pacing for the game and still get genuine reactions to all the fights. I think it's pretty much a success.

I have no gauge for other LPers since I don't watch anyone else as I don't really care. I don't feel any tension at all with majority of these boss battles Matt has been through. Instead of being only able to tank 4-5 hits he can tank what, 15+? The only tension I could see is that he's playing so poorly even with the Temmie armor that it makes you think if he can succeed even with the game giving him a handicap. I don't feel any tension at all due to his abundance of health items and eeking it out just enough to be "fine." I feel like it's one step removed from the Lazy Shell/Lazy Armor combo where Peach could never die. It's just not a complete stomp as it was Mario RPG. That's nice that the story is engaging them as it should most people, but I as a viewer do not feel engaged because I'm not fearing life and death with every moment. I'm seeing Matt get hit 10 times in a row, live, and then eat a GlamBurger. I don't get anything from that. I can only sigh and think about the possibility of the playthrough being more like a normal playthrough if Liam played. I don't disparage them for finding Temmie's shop as it's a cool side thing. I just get annoyed that they kept it equipped despite saying they would unequip it soon after they got it. They kept it equipped and then the regular chain of events started.

I have no gauge for other LPers since I don't watch anyone else as I don't really care. I don't feel any tension at all with majority of these boss battles Matt has been through. Instead of being only able to tank 4-5 hits he can tank what, 15+? The only tension I could see is that he's playing so poorly even with the Temmie armor that it makes you think if he can succeed even with the game giving him a handicap. I don't feel any tension at all due to his abundance of health items and eeking it out just enough to be "fine." I feel like it's one step removed from the Lazy Shell/Lazy Armor combo where Peach could never die. It's just not a complete stomp as it was Mario RPG. That's nice that the story is engaging them as it should most people, but I as a viewer do not feel engaged because I'm not fearing life and death with every moment. I'm seeing Matt get hit 10 times in a row, live, and then eat a GlamBurger. I don't get anything from that. I can only sigh and think about the possibility of the playthrough being more like a normal playthrough if Liam played. I don't disparage them for finding Temmie's shop as it's a cool side thing. I just get annoyed that they kept it equipped despite saying they would unequip it soon after they got it. They kept it equipped and then the regular chain of events started.
Then I guess an Undertale LP isn't for you. The Temmie armor doesn't help that much honestly, I've noticed that he doesn't take much less damage than I did(without it) and the only upside is that he occasionally heals(which the apron also does). The only enemies that are supposed to be a threat are most bosses and it still applies there.

The only way they could make the battles more challenging is if they carried less health items but why bother when the point of the battles isn't about survival? I think you'd be way better off watching a genocide run of Undertale rather than a pacifist run.

Top Bottom