• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Squishy3

Felt like he's tone down.

No doubt in my mind that when he first started though...
Everyone played it like crazy though when the FC started, because there was a lot of stuff to get through. There are still people making their way through the pre-HW content, but the combined mad rush to finish patches 2.1-2.55 in the FC was kind of exhilarating.

I feel like he has had much less to add to conversation since he started it though.
It's a time suck you can feel in his very personality, it's kinda freaky.
He spends like maybe an hour or 2 a day playing it, if that. More if it's a day where we're doing the new Minstrel's Ballad.

I wish he was allowed to talk more about it personally, but since no besides a minority of the fanbase cares, he usually won't other than his 5 second mentions.

Of course my personal love of the game makes me biased.

Squishy3

I wish he was allowed to talk more about it personally, but since no besides a minority of the fanbase cares, he usually won't other than his 5 second mentions.

you love it so much you didn't even finish heavensward

Xux

I love FFXIV and hearing him talk about it, too. I love hearing them talk about Star Trek and comic books. I also really like hearing them go on about stuff I haven't checked out or heard of; I feel like I've been introduced to a lot through them.

Squishy3

Honestly now the issue with Pat talking about FFXIV is the stuff he can talk about he can't on the podcast because spoilers. (3.0 ending and 3.1 ending and what it implies for the rest of the future patches)

or it's stuff like how we're making our way through the new minstrel's ballad, which isn't really exciting... because we're just progressing through it one phase at a time. we're like 4 or 5 phases from the end now.

MrHoot

Honestly now the issue with Pat talking about FFXIV is the stuff he can talk about he can't on the podcast because spoilers. (3.0 ending and 3.1 ending and what it implies for the rest of the future patches)

or it's stuff like how we're making our way through the new minstrel's ballad, which isn't really exciting... because we're just progressing through it one phase at a time. we're like 4 or 5 phases from the end now.

I just want 3.15 to hit so I can know my suffering for Zeta wasn't in vain

Far more interesting than Alexander. Holy shit does Reign make you realize what a piece of shit Alexander is.

The problem is just that Pat deep-dives/shotguns media. He's not really talking about FFXIV anymore; he's talking about Star Trek. Probably going to be talking about Fallout 4 for a while to come, much like he did with Monster Hunter for a while.

He just needs his girlfriend to force him to watch an episode of Game of Thrones every third episode of Star Trek or something, and he'll be fine.

Squishy3

I just want 3.15 to hit so I can know my suffering for Zeta wasn't in vain
It probably was

Far more interesting than Alexander. Holy shit does Reign make you realize what a piece of shit Alexander is.
I'm hoping the second set of Alexander is better than the first. Hopefully the story ramps up considerably too other than "get to the top"

Don't exactly need Reign to see that, since Coil exists. Even unsynced and ezmode'd it's better.

Somoene posted the sign Pat was talking about on the reddit.

443JYNy.jpg

MrHoot

He just needs his girlfriend to force him to watch an episode of Game of Thrones every third episode of Star Trek or something, and he'll be fine.

But I don't want him to get even MORE bitter !

Kind of on-topic. I've finally started watching Steven Universe after some recommendation and because it's still the big talk of the moment.

I don't know if I'm missing something. I've watched a bunch of episodes up to maybe...6 or 7 ? Does it get better ? Because it's doing absolutely nothing for me, and I say this as someone who's usually really comfy with adventure. But Steven absolutely grates me. Garnet is obviously rad as hell but all the other characters leave me unphased. Is this one of these "it gets better later" type of show ? Cuz right now I get the feeling the show is trying to be super hard to be quirky and cutesy and random/weird and it's really not connecting

The problem is just that Pat deep-dives/shotguns media. He's not really talking about FFXIV anymore; he's talking about Star Trek. Probably going to be talking about Fallout 4 for a while to come, much like he did with Monster Hunter for a while.

Shotgunning stuff isn't a problem. I've always enjoyed Pat's ability to dive deep into something, and comeback with a well thought out synapse of his experience. Even like Star Trek, which I hate, he managed to make pretty interesting.
Problem is... not many gems to mine out of FF14 it seems.

Shotgunning stuff isn't a problem. I've always enjoyed Pat's ability to dive deep into something, and comeback with a well thought out synapse of his experience. Even like Star Trek, which I hate, he managed to make pretty interesting.
Problem is... not many gems to mine out of FF14 it seems.

That makes one of us. Week #1 of Pat Attempts to Relate Literally Everything to Star Trek and Only Tells Star Trek-Related Anecdotes was kind of fun, but we're onto like Week #4 at this point and it's starting to feel like your workaholic friend who finally goes out to relax after a project is finished and only wants to talk about work.

Like, it absolutely peaked with the "20 Questions" game of trying to guess the Next Gen episode based on whether or not Troy gets mind-fucked. Make him watch some Seinfeld or something.

you love it so much you didn't even finish heavensward

Squishy pls dont out me as a fraud ;_;

I love FFXIV and hearing him talk about it, too. I love hearing them talk about Star Trek and comic books. I also really like hearing them go on about stuff I haven't checked out or heard of; I feel like I've been introduced to a lot through them.

I generally like listening to all the stuff they talk about, even if i dont care for half of it.

I'm hoping the second set of Alexander is better than the first. Hopefully the story ramps up considerably too other than "get to the top"

Don't exactly need Reign to see that, since Coil exists. Even unsynced and ezmode'd it's better.

Coil was pretty good but no one runs it anymore, so it's kind of just looking back on a memory which can be a bit rose tinted since it was the first time I'd ever raided in an MMO.

Edit: Holy shit how do I fucking grammar.

That makes one of us. Week #1 of Pat Attempts to Relate Literally Everything to Star Trek and Only Tells Star Trek-Related Anecdotes was kind of fun, but we're onto like Week #4 at this point and it's starting to feel like your workaholic friend who finally goes out to relax after a project is finished and only wants to talk about work.

Like, it absolutely peaked with the "20 Questions" game of trying to guess the Next Gen episode based on whether or not Troy gets mind-fucked. Make him watch some Seinfeld or something.

Is it really that much? I don't even remember him mentioning Star Trek this week.
Selective memory maybe.

ArjanN

I forgot how boring the Direct was

like basically nothing of interest happened.

I found it hilarious that they were all so positive about Mario Tennis on Wii U

I missed most of it before and only really caught the ending with Cloud for Smash, but watching it again now there's literally nothing else of interest in it. Honesly I don't really see Nintendo putting anything out they'll give a shit about for a good long while. Also, yeah, the Mario Tennis conversation is pretty funny with the hindsight of it getting slammed in reviews.

Squishy3

Squishy pls dont out me as a fraud ;_;
resub and get to the end. hell i'll probably be able to get a full group to run whatever instances you need when the story demands. the HW dungeons give way more exp now too and you probably won't hit the exp walls that used to exist

vid and hoot know exactly what pat wants to gush about on the podcast but can't

Coil was pretty good but no one runs it anymore, so it's kinda of just looking back on a memory which can be a bit rose tinted so it was the first time I'd ever raided in an MMO.
We did it all unsynced and we still agree it blows Alex out of the water, even if it was completely trivialized. The story being so good obviously has to do with that, of course. Hopefully the next section of Alex can be as good.

I really should log back onto Dio and get him to 60 so I can run stuff with you dudes again. My server is so damn dead lately.

We did it all unsynced and we still agree it blows Alex out of the water, even if it was completely trivialized. The story being so good obviously has to do with that, of course. Hopefully the next section of Alex can be as good.

Without a doubt, the story is way better. Even when they announced Alexander back at Fan Fest I wasn't all that keen on it because I've never really liked Alexander in the FF universe as a whole. Probably doesn't help that it had to follow Bahamut. Kind of a lose/lose no matter what there.

resub and get to the end. hell i'll probably be able to get a full group to run whatever instances you need when the story demands. the HW dungeons give way more exp now too and you probably won't hit the exp walls that used to exist

vid and hoot know exactly what pat wants to gush about on the podcast but can't

Just a few more weeks until winter break, so I'll sub then. Gonna be rough to balance that and xenoblade but i really wanna get back to ffxiv. I'll take you up on that offer though when the time comes.

You should probably add me too if you got room on your friends list. My character name is skla farebear

Squishy3

Just a few more weeks until winter break, so I'll sub then. Gonna be rough to balance that and xenoblade but i really wanna get back to ffxiv. I'll take you up on that offer though when the time comes.

You should probably add me too if you got room on your friends list. My character name is skla farebear
I'd have to wait until you resub to add you, it doesn't let you add people if they're offline. Kinda sucks, but at the same time it prevents me from having 50 friend requests from gil spammers everytime I log on.

I'd have to wait until you resub to add you, it doesn't let you add people if they're offline. Kinda sucks, but at the same time it prevents me from having 50 friend requests from gil spammers everytime I log on.

True, i forgot about that. Ill let you know when i resub then.

Skrams

But I don't want him to get even MORE bitter !

Kind of on-topic. I've finally started watching Steven Universe after some recommendation and because it's still the big talk of the moment.

I don't know if I'm missing something. I've watched a bunch of episodes up to maybe...6 or 7 ? Does it get better ? Because it's doing absolutely nothing for me, and I say this as someone who's usually really comfy with adventure. But Steven absolutely grates me. Garnet is obviously rad as hell but all the other characters leave me unphased. Is this one of these "it gets better later" type of show ? Cuz right now I get the feeling the show is trying to be super hard to be quirky and cutesy and random/weird and it's really not connecting

I find it to be a slow burn. A lot of people say the first hook episode is Tiger Millionaire which is episode 9 I think? I kind of retroactively like most of it since I really enjoy the characters, so I'm not sure where it even kicked in for me. I think it probably kicked off in the 10's of when I started enjoying it a good amount probably. When story, relationships, and character backgrounds start is when I start enjoying myself. Also the music is super rad and I don't just mean the singalongs. A lot of it feels JRPG inspired.

Moaradin

Coil wasn't super excited during the first part either. Hopefully Alexander improves as it goes on just like Coil did. I imagine it must once we have to fight Alexander itself.

Jintor

Liam eating shit immediately was worth it.

I hope Nintendo one day makes a direct full of wall to wall hype just to see the best friends loss their ducking minds. That first Nintendo e3 event was close

This is a random post but I just remembered something that was off in the let's watch. When talking about Xenoblade X, Pat says something like "I think the artstyle of the last game was better.", and then when challenged he goes "yeah but bionis and mechonis worlds were so much cooler", which was weird because he just moved the goalposts to the other side of the planet. Every time they talk about Xenoblade or X he just tries to find something to complain about and it's really odd because none of his complaints are ever legitimate.

I guess I'm salty because I'm a Xenoblade fan but this really seems like a case of Pat's Sony boner getting the best of him.

This is a random post but I just remembered something that was off in the let's watch. When talking about Xenoblade X, Pat says something like "I think the artstyle of the last game was better.", and then when challenged he goes "yeah but bionis and mechonis worlds were so much cooler", which was weird because he just moved the goalposts to the other side of the planet. Every time they talk about Xenoblade or X he just tries to find something to complain about and it's really odd because none of his complaints are ever legitimate.

I guess I'm salty because I'm a Xenoblade fan but this really seems like a case of Pat's Sony boner getting the best of him.
He has some strong Xenopinions

currently lv 26 in Fallout 4
joined Brotherhood of Steel and am now doing quests to not be an initiate
Preston dont like it but too bad, why have one army when you can have 2 fighting for you

MrHoot

Holy shit some of the stuff in the bloodborne DLC is so fucking cool.

Now i kinda REALLY hope they revisit bloodborne for the DLC because holy crap.

Bloodborne DLC spoiler regarding one of the new runes effect
You can turn into an AYYYYYYYYYYYLIEN

Holy shit some of the stuff in the bloodborne DLC is so fucking cool.

Now i kinda REALLY hope they revisit bloodborne for the DLC because holy crap.

Bloodborne DLC spoiler regarding one of the new runes effect
You can turn into an AYYYYYYYYYYYLIEN

Can you? The one I saw showed you able to
turn into a Beast

currently lv 26 in Fallout 4
joined Brotherhood of Steel and am now doing quests to not be an initiate
Preston dont like it but too bad, why have one army when you can have 2 fighting for you

I just finished the Kellogg's Boo Berry stuff and came outside to see that airship. What an "oh shit" moment. I'm only level 12 though, underleveled?

Asked Pat for the console command to bypass weight though. I'm now a dirty cheater but holy shit did it make the game more fun than backtracking every 10 fucking minutes to manage inventory space.

Anung

Un Rama
I felt a bit weird watching that wedding video. It was too personal a thing to be privy to as a fan. Looked like a nice ceremony though and the zaibatsu looked sharp as fuck in suits.

Feeling really good about their output now. Knowing they are looking at feedback is reassuring. Mirror's Edge has been great and even though SOMA is super rough at times its still worth watching. Undertale and MGSV are on the way out so hopefully we'll get some new blood in.

The Ninty direct was a bit nothing but the Cloud bit at the end made it worthwhile.

Top Bottom