• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

"Yosuke is kind of a piece of shit."

Well, that's true. I think he got a pass because Junpei was a bigger piece of shit. The best friend always has to be a little shitty to justify why he's not the protagonist.

"Fourth wall break inside a fourth wall break? That's like... sixteen walls." Also Stan Lee's cameo.

Street Fighter V video is great, looks like everyone's pretty sharp so the matches are interesting to watch.

Awwwww. I was hoping they were doing a PXZ 2 LP from them talking about "X" on the podcast, but from the 2k16 LP it seems its just
XCOM 2
That's a game they should stream, not LP. There's so little lore/story to work with, and even if they go whole hog with the emergent narrative stuff, I feel like it'll wind up like the FFX LP, where it's better as podcast listening than an actual LP.

Tcab96

That's a game they should stream, not LP. There's so little lore/story to work with, and even if they go whole hog with the emergent narrative stuff, I feel like it'll wind up like the FFX LP, where it's better as podcast listening than an actual LP.

I think the LP is made so, so much better because they're playing on Iron Man mode, which is where they can't reload a save and fix everything. If they fuck up, they fuck up for good. It adds so much tension to watching. It's basically what the nuzlocke should've been.

You could be super right, if they manage to last awhile.
But after watching the second episode, it doesn't look like they will.

I'm also enjoying the new three man LPs.

FFX started rough but the last session of episodes was good. Not sure what happened to it though, its been missing for weeks.

"Yosuke is kind of a piece of shit."

Well, that's true. I think he got a pass because Junpei was a bigger piece of shit. The best friend always has to be a little shitty to justify why he's not the protagonist.
Junpei wasnt ever even your friend though, you're closer to Yukari than him, his entire thing is that he's being a bitch about not being the protagonist.

I admit I never could get very far in P3 but Yukari seemed fine while Junpei felt like he was just trying to act like your friend so he could get in every girls pants.

Yosuke was at least up front about what he wanted, creep as he was.

They're both pretty crummy, which is important, because it prevents Auron Syndrome. (ie, spending the entire game asking the question, "Why am I not playing as the cool dude instead of this garbage protagonist?")

The one thing Junpei and Yosuke both do very well is make you happy that you don't have to play as Junpei/Yosuke.

They're both pretty crummy, which is important, because it prevents Auron Syndrome. (ie, spending the entire game asking the question, "Why am I not playing as the cool dude instead of this garbage protagonist?")

The one thing Junpei and Yosuke both do very well is make you happy that you don't have to play as Junpei/Yosuke.

If not for the anime though, Yu would be incredibly forgetful.

Alfebit

Banned
God, Street Fighter V is so good. Spending hours playing, deciding to take a break then immediately start it back up. I guess I should take a break from it to watch the Zaibatsu play it.

I admit I never could get very far in P3 but Yukari seemed fine while Junpei felt like he was just trying to act like your friend so he could get in every girls pants.

Yosuke was at least up front about what he wanted, creep as he was.
I always like Yosuke more because he was like "Yeah I'm shit and have problems. I'll follow your judgment and your decisions. Whereas Junpei was usually " UGHWAAAAHH UR NOT THE BOSS OF ME LITTLE EMO KID"

Man, Liam's impassioned defense of street fighter v in light of all of its criticism should be fun.

I sent in a question for the podcast asking why it's okay to say "Just wait a month" for SFV's content when they've shit on other games for releasing too early when they clearly needed a few more months in the oven, so to speak.

I honestly don't expect an answer other than "Because it's SFV!"

Edzi

Man, Liam's impassioned defense of street fighter v in light of all of its criticism should be fun.

Pat already responded in one of the threads, and I'm with him. The overreactions and outrage over this game are vastly disproportionate to the flaws and based on a lot of misplaced expectations.

Capcom's mistake was, ironically, not copying the MOBA format accurately enough.

MOBAs spend a year or more in "release beta" phase for a reason. (For those that don't know, the game is openly available to all players, the cash shop works, and there are even official tournaments, but it's still officially in "beta" for no apparent reason. MOBAs basically all do this as proof against people complaining about major missing features or sudden, huge changes.)

Skrams

If they talk about it more next podcast then I expect them to say the most important part of the game is complete and they're happy to be playing it because street fighter is good. They'll also probably admit that yeah, the game is probably out this early for the capcom pro tour and EVO. Also man, I do wish the game was also F2P so I could at least test the waters with Ryu. I plan to pick the game up in a month or so, but I just want to try things out now for a bit. Maybe I'll redbox it for a night just because.

Also man, Woolie became super Woolie during XCOM2 Part 1. Shorthairshorthairshorthair and customization and No More Heroes and shawtyyyyy.

I do think this would of been way more fun and involved if we had the characters as the guys or whoever. I don't really care that they would die in 2 missions. I want to be sad when Liam panics and kills Matt and not just Amy from Canada kills Mutumbo from Jamaica or whoever.

After relistening to the last podcast, Liam is pretty fine. He said he even would have trouble recommending the game considering where it stands right now. These Liam defends everything posts are getting a lil silly at times.

beat Cyber Sleuth
man Piercing just breaks the game lol
final Party was Lilithmon, Belphemon RM, and Beelzemon BM
only have 1 Knight to go Imperieldramon PM is a bitch

beat Cyber Sleuth
man Piercing just breaks the game lol
final Party was Lilithmon, Belphemon RM, and Beelzemon BM
only have 1 Knight to go Imperieldramon PM is a bitch
Jesmon might help with that fight. Just a lil protip.

And yeah, piercing breaks the shit outta it. Cherubimon blk and wargreymon carried me through most of the late game.

Going to be interesting to see how Pat handles Commander. He looks like he's almost exactly at the skill level I'd want to watch for a Veteran campaign, but for Commander he might be a bit on the "fast and loose" side to get along.

Not that it won't be interesting if he fails, as long as it's not too quick! (His punishment must be more severe.)

Going to be interesting to see how Pat handles Commander. He looks like he's almost exactly at the skill level I'd want to watch for a Veteran campaign, but for Commander he might be a bit on the "fast and loose" side to get along.
Yeah, I think going to Veteran for this LP would've been better, but I guess it wouldn't have offered as many "OH SHIT" moments.

That said, Pat & Liam's shit explanations of the lore for XCOM 2 annoys me for some reason (probably the fact that Woolie wouldn't look it up on his own and even if he did, the wikis are currently shit for anything beyond the classes).

Skrams

What an amazing 1st part to the 2k16 LP.

Also, Woolie has gotten way better at Naruto since his off-screen training.

For fighting? Yeah.

For pure navigation around the world? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's the worst part of the LP for me. It takes him forever to go anywhere because he keeps getting lost despite looking at the map ten times over. The game is pretty fucking annoying with not labeling blocked off sections on the map, but god damn. It will sometimes take them 10-15 minutes instead of 5 minutes or less because Woolie looks at the map, sees he has to go left then right and then he goes the completely wrong way. Rinse and repeat checking the map, getting lost, checking map, and then eventually reaching his destination by the normal or a weird method.

aly

For fighting? Yeah.

For pure navigation around the world? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's the worst part of the LP for me. It takes him forever to go anywhere because he keeps getting lost despite looking at the map ten times over. The game is pretty fucking annoying with not labeling blocked off sections on the map, but god damn. It will sometimes take them 10-15 minutes instead of 5 minutes or less because Woolie looks at the map, sees he has to go left then right and then he goes the completely wrong way. Rinse and repeat checking the map, getting lost, checking map, and then eventually reaching his destination by the normal or a weird method.

For the longest time I thought maybe I was crazy and reading the map wrong, but nah Woolie is just terrible.

For the longest time I thought maybe I was crazy and reading the map wrong, but nah Woolie is just terrible.

While it is probably way harder to play the bad game competently while talking... yeah, its crazy how lost woolie can get. That said, the whole game is so fucking nuts I don't honestly mind all that much :p

Plus it drives Pat bonkers, which only leads to nuttier goodness

edit: fuuuuck this xcom LP is gonna be goooooood, would kill for a nuzlocke-style livestream. Hopefully they don't die TOO soon

Oh yeah, I just remembered:
1) Liam's absurd expectation that XCOM:EU/EW would come to Vita makes me really feel like he should just be called Vita Anime Face all the time.
2) XCOM:EU got like ~150K sales on both consoles in its first month, which is pretty terrible for a game that got millions of sales on PC.

Skrams

Oh yeah, I just remembered:
1) Liam's absurd expectation that XCOM:EU/EW would come to Vita makes me really feel like he should just be called Vita Anime Face all the time.
2) XCOM:EU got like ~150K sales on both consoles in its first month, which is pretty terrible for a game that got millions of sales on PC.

"ESRB listing teases XCOM port to PS Vita"

-Sep 2015

Also Civ Rev got ported to Vita in what, December? Except it was under the title of Civ Rev 2 Plus just like the ESRB Rating for XCOM ends with Plus.

Quietly hoping we see some fun bugs in this run, but also I don't want to have anything bad happen to Pat's ironman save.

Man can you imagine they get to the end and have the save corruption bug?

Uh, meme? You mean Woolie's tag? It's Blanka's Ultra 2. It's called Shout of Earth. I forget the reason Woolie went with Roar of Earth or if there even is a reason.

Oh... Its Blankas Ultra? That makes it way less cool.

I think Shout of Earth was his old GT, and he changed it to Roar

"ESRB listing teases XCOM port to PS Vita"

-Sep 2015

Also Civ Rev got ported to Vita in what, December? Except it was under the title of Civ Rev 2 Plus just like the ESRB Rating for XCOM ends with Plus.
Waiting ~4 (or more, if that port doesn't get released this year) years for a port of a game you have the hardware for is the dumbest thing in the world, as Pat rightly points out. i get that Liam loves the Vita, but sometimes you got know when to cut your losses.

Top Bottom