• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

I was surprised Pat wasn't the alien sympathizer. I mean, the big thing they offer is a cure to all diseases and eternal youth.

Actual spoiler.
By being melted down into alien goo? Dude probably wants to stay cognizant.

This XCOM Lp is going to be rough watching. Lost a dude on the first mission...

Actual spoiler.
By being melted down into alien goo? Dude probably wants to stay cognizant.

XCOM2 Spoilers:
The implication is that they're melting down a relatively smaller percentage of people screened at the gene therapy clinics, which is why people are happy about having them and continue to go to them. (Obviously, if NO ONE ever came back from gene therapy people would stop going.) Pat's been pretty explicit that he's okay with other people getting turned into goo for the sake of his immortality.

This XCOM Lp is going to be rough watching. Lost a dude on the first mission...

Eh, losing the rookie wasn't entirely unexpected. He had a miss on an open (flanked) shot and a miss on an open ambush overwatch, which is a run of bad luck that's hard to mitigate when you only have rookies available.

The more concerning thing is that he didn't seem to show a real preference for moving units into full cover (over half cover), away from potentially fragile/exploding cover, or into harder-to-flank positions. That's something the original XCOM tends to train people toward if they didn't play Long War.

(People who played Long War, conversely, generally won't even consider half cover as being cover, because it's about as useless there as it is in XCOM2 Commander+. You're just flat-out going to get hit in half cover if you don't have Aid Protocol/Dodge PCS/Wraith Armor, all it really does is reduce crit chance.)

XCOM2 Spoilers:
The implication is that they're melting down a relatively smaller percentage of people screened at the gene therapy clinics, which is why people are happy about having them and continue to go to them. (Obviously, if NO ONE ever came back from gene therapy people would stop going.) Pat's been pretty explicit that he's okay with other people getting turned into goo for the sake of his immortality.

Really? The implication from the rest of the story was that they were shuffling away lots of people. From the number of random images they put up on the screen during the various story beats to all the coffins in the processing centers you blow up. Plus with all the troopers they used, processed with the human baseline genetic stuff, really strikes me like they've been mushing up a lot of people for a while

(People who played Long War, conversely, generally won't even consider half cover as being cover, because it's about as useless there as it is in XCOM2 Commander+. You're just flat-out going to get hit in half cover if you don't have Aid Protocol/Dodge PCS/Wraith Armor, all it really does is reduce crit chance.)

Fun fact, it doesn't even really reduce crit chance since hit/dodge/crit are all on the same roll.

Fun fact, it doesn't even really reduce crit chance since hit/dodge/crit are all on the same roll.

Well, I mean more that it prevents the enemy from getting the critical bonus from being in no cover. That's really the only benefit of being in half-cover in higher difficulties. (And that's still nice, especially for a WAR Armored, Blast Padded Grenadier, but you certainly wouldn't ever refer to half-cover as 'being in good cover' the way Pat did.)

And of course, Rookies can get one-shot even without a crit, so the value for them is even more dubious.

Xater

I haven't watched the video, but yes probably. There are lots of level design/mission design problems with GR. The best part of GR has to be the cool gravity mechanic that kinda gets under utilized.

Yeah I didn't get very far into GR on the Vita because of that. I like the concept but they need to nail it down for the sequel.

joe2187

Banned
Yeah I didn't get very far into GR on the Vita because of that. I like the concept but they need to nail it down for the sequel.

I platinumed both versions, Im a big fan of the game, the mechanics and the combat. It's very simple, fluid and fun. Unlike most I never had a problem with most of the games complaints. The long load times between challange missions has been nearly eradicated in the PS4 version and sliding is relegated to the triggers and alot easier to control.

One of my all time favorite games right behind Bayonetta and Okami.

Oh man listening to Pat die on camera in this latest naruto.

Jesus christ I still can't believe they wrote Sakura into having a relationship with Sauske. Here is literally the most abusive and uncaring person in the world but that pink haired girl gets super moist every time he glances at her with those dead eyes.

Meffer

Jesus christ I still can't believe they wrote Sakura into having a relationship with Sauske. Here is literally the most abusive and uncaring person in the world but that pink haired girl gets super moist every time he glances at her with those dead eyes.

The person getting those groceries was like, "Whatever..."

Obviously you don't know how real romance works. Everyone knows the more cold and uncaring your senpai is, the more he actually, totally likes you for realsies.

joe2187

Banned

Naruto is literally the worst.

The only character I liked was Anko...

and that's mostly because she wore a full fishnet bodysuit underneath a trenchcoat.

I literally don't understand how Sasuke and Sakura had a kid. Did she drug him and have her way with him in order to get a kid?

I literally don't understand how Sasuke and Sakura had a kid. Did she drug him and have her way with him in order to get a kid?

I can't confirm this because I sure as hell am not going to read/watch it, but a friend of mine told me quite excitedly
that the kid isn't Sakura's (her words: "Sasuke cucked that bitch"), and instead is the daughter of the redhead masochist or whatever, and Sakura's just stuck taking care of her because she's that much of a sad-sack.

If true, it's a mighty "Fuck You" from the author to that character, comparable to Huey from MGS. Impressive.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can't confirm this because I sure as hell am not going to read/watch it, but a friend of mine told me quite excitedly
that the kid isn't Sakura's (her words: "Sasuke cucked that bitch"), and instead is the daughter of the redhead masochist or whatever, and Sakura's just stuck taking care of her because she's that much of a sad-sack.

If true, it's a mighty "Fuck You" from the author to that character, comparable to Huey from MGS. Impressive.

I think your friend either didn't finish reading the spin-off manga or got her info from someone who didn't.

Sarada is Sakura's kid. The manga was doing a storyline where she thinks Sakura's not her mother, but it's shown by the end that she is.

EndMerit

Yeah, that storyline happens, and then at the very last chapter it gets revealed that
Salad Sarada really is Sakura's and Sasuke's child.
I kid you not, they even kept and framed her umbilical cord for some reason.
There's probably a Bloodborne-joke to be workshopped here.

Goddamnit, Naruto is bad. I no longer believe it.

While I'm not surprised by Kishimoto fucking over Sakura some more, because her lack of development is directly connected to her lack of popularity in Japan, but I still find any consensual sex thing involving Sasuke to be the least credible part of Naruto/Boruto.

I kid you not, they even kept and framed her umbilical cord for some reason.
There's probably a Bloodborne-joke to be workshopped here.
Oh, what the fuck.

I think your friend either didn't finish reading the spin-off manga or got her info from someone who didn't.

Sarada is Sakura's kid. The manga was doing a storyline where she thinks Sakura's not her mother, but it's shown by the end that she is.

I guess you can't blame her for wishful thinking. (The fictional daughter, I mean, you can totally blame my friend. She read Boruto, she has no reasonable defense.)

The whole framing bit is just mean-spirited, though. It's like that sign Monty Burns puts up in Homer's workstation. ("Remember: You're Here Forever.")

man XCOM is fucking brutal
Pat was getting his ass torn to pieces by aliens in the latest episode
i kinda want a stream of it after they fail miserably
oh and Mcqueen trust me it is very believable for Sarada to be Karins kid
she had Yuno Gasai levels of obsession for Sasuke i shit you not
plus hes got to restore his clan by fucking someone right?

Yeah I almost want them to just skip to the end mission because there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to watch Pat play this game. I'm not an expert by any means but it's a real rough watch at the difficulty he chose. Honestly I wouldn't have been mad if he picked the easiest one.

Failing at XCOM is the genuine experience. Woolie needed to see it.

I wouldn't mind if Pat started another campaign on Veteran mode. I'd still kind of prefer he do it as a casual streaming project, though.

I'm glad I don't play XCOM because watching you babies whine about how he's playing is painful.

No one gives a goddamn how good or bad he's playing. It's funny watching him fuck it up.

I'm glad I don't play XCOM because watching you babies whine about how he's playing is painful.

No one gives a goddamn how good or bad he's playing. It's funny watching him fuck it up.

finally someone who gets it
i guess me and Vidula must be sadists since were actually enjoying Pats game burning to the ground

I'd imagine its a mix "Jeez Pat why" AND (more importantly) not wanting to see them hit a lose condition and say "fuck it, thats the end of that LP"

Cause i'd be fucking sad to see them bow out early just because they lost, I wanna see them conquer this shit

For me it's more a concern about if he can finish the campaign. I don't think anyone wants to see 20 episodes and suddenly they have to start all over because of some fuckups along the way.

But whatever, if you like it that's great. Just like everything else on the channel, there are things I'll watch and things I won't bother with.

I haven't played it, but some of the things that are happening in the Xcom playthrough don't even seem fair.

Not particularly. He had a run of bad luck with high-percentage shots in the first mission, but the rest is avoidable:

You need to think about not whether your soldiers are flanked when your turn ends, but whether or not they can easily be flanked when enemy movement is taken into consideration. Pat puts his units into cover in positions where the enemy can easily flank them without even using a full move. That's just something you have to learn not to do.

As noted before, you need to recognize the difference between full and half cover. Half cover, especially when you're using unarmored rookies, is practically worthless.

Prioritizing Sectoids is understandable, but if you haven't modded their AI, it's actually better generally to leave them up and focus on killing another unit. They will usually create a zombie if a corpse is available (so, make a normal trooper/officer into a corpse for them), which is basically a waste of their turn if you can disorient or kill them on the turn that follows. (Pat knows to Flashbang them already, which is good.) Mind Control generally happens as a result of them either having already raised a corpse (putting it on cooldown) or not having a corpse to raise.

The conditions that break concealment are a bit more on the esoteric knowledge side of things, so it's understandable that he got caught off-guard by that, but they're generally very consistent and reasonable. The only thing I think is unfair is that he may not be aware that Dashing (ie, moving beyond the blue line with a single action) creates noise that causes enemies to patrol toward that location. (This is a mechanic I haven't actually seen explained anywhere that's actually really important.)

The place where Pat got screwed is not having a Concealment Ranger for scouting, which was ultimately caused by poor decisions in previous missions, so not technically "unfair" though it is a bit of a rough draw. A Ranger with Concealment starts out stealthed even if the rest of the squad doesn't, so you can use them to scout safely on missions like the VIP extraction. If you don't have one, you have to be far more conservative about your movements to avoid triggering multiple pods; basically, you want to try to slug it out and fight in place rather than advancing on enemies while they're still alive, because moving forward could draw more pods into the fight. (Though, on a timed VIP extraction there's an obvious Catch 22 in place, there, which is why it's so brutal to not have a proper scout for those.)

Is there a podcast this week, or is it just late?
It's interesting that people have gotten so used to the podcast going up early, that on time is considered late.

The podcast is supposed to go up on Yuesf Tuesday and we're only 1.5 hours into Tuesday, for them. One a day that they're probably traveling.

Top Bottom