• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Even their daughter doesn't believe it!

Too bad the author doesn't have a more self-deprecating sense of humor.

Sakura: Well? Aren't you going to say it, Naruto?
Naruto: ...
Sakura: Just say it! C'mon, do it already! 'Believe it!'
Naruto: No way. I'm pretty sure I've slept with Sasuke more than you have. This is BS.

Alfebit

Banned
6 guests? Hope this isn't a clusterfuck or I might just have to skip it.

Edit: Oh dear god, this is awful. It's like I'm listening in on their conversation from down the hall through a closed door.

Gonna check out the Underwater Cast, but man, after doing some more thinking, I really feel like they should've done this XCOM 2 run on a stream. Even if they had the XCOM equivalent of German Spy on hand to keep them from fucking up too hard, the game's RNG is great at fucking over the player, so it still would've been fun.

Hell, even Twitch Chat seems like it could make smarter decisions than Pat did.

Gonna check out the Underwater Cast, but man, after doing some more thinking, I really feel like they should've done this XCOM 2 run on a stream. Even if they had the XCOM equivalent of German Spy on hand to keep them from fucking up too hard, the game's RNG is great at fucking over the player, so it still would've been fun.

Hell, even Twitch Chat seems like it could make smarter decisions than Pat did.

beaglerush or bust

Siegcram

Should have streamed with Beaglerush. Knows his shit and is from 'Stralia. Writes itself.

Edit: I see I'm not the only one with good taste.

Village

Oh man listening to Pat die on camera in this latest naruto.

Jesus christ I still can't believe they wrote Sakura into having a relationship with Sauske. Here is literally the most abusive and uncaring person in the world but that pink haired girl gets super moist every time he glances at her with those dead eyes.
Sasuke was never abusive, uncaring sure.

I guess he just settled

When will you guys get that LP's aren't about playing the game in the most optimal way?
I never expected optimal gameplay from the Zaibatsu on XCOM 2, but I expected smarter decisions and more awareness of some of the game's quirks, like the whole "aliens moving behind objects can break display of the enemy's awareness radius". Watching the XCOM 2 LP makes it painfully obvious that Pat doesn't know all that much about how the game works beyond the broad strokes, which is why he makes a lot of shit decisions, like not using Overwatch as much as he should and putting people in bad positions.

beaglerush or bust

Beags would probably have a conniption the first time Pat left a soldier in a flankable position, though. Might be worth it to see someone freak out over a video game harder than Pat, not sure.

I do agree that streaming is generally better for XCOM2, though. I think the problem with LP of it is that unless you're a Beaglerush-style strategy stud massive amounts of editing is justified (and even Beaglerush edited his Impossible/Ironman series heavily), to the point where it just isn't worth it to use multiple SBF member's time making footage that's going to be demolished by Citizen Snips.

Better to do it on a fairly casual stream, just sort of say, "What you see is what you get. You can watch the archive if you want."

ArjanN

I never expected optimal gameplay from the Zaibatsu on XCOM 2, but I expected smarter decisions and more awareness of some of the game's quirks, like the whole "aliens moving behind objects can break display of the enemy's awareness radius". Watching the XCOM 2 LP makes it painfully obvious that Pat doesn't know all that much about how the game works beyond the broad strokes, which is why he makes a lot of shit decisions, like not using Overwatch as much as he should and putting people in bad positions.

Eh, them fucking up in Xcom 2 is more entertaining than them playing it well honestly.

Also, I'm pretty sure Pat would play a lot more slowly and optimally if he was just playing the game by himself at home.

Village

like i said he has to fuck someone if he wants to restore his clan
the whole time he was fucking Sakura he was hyping himself up thinking "Its for the Clan"
"Its for the Clan!"

I think it was less like that and more like

"well she's like a 7 , and she's down to clown so fuck it, litterally and metaphorically "

Whats worse is unlike sasuke, sakura is actual abuser, and actually had, while not intimate and actual abusive relationship with naruto to the degree in which other characters had to get invovled and tell her to stay the fuck away from naruto and then after that I believe she does something super emotional abusive, basically admiting she would emotional abuse the fuck out of naruto to get to sasuke and then naruto tells her off.

Whats worse is I believe kishimoto says sakura is suppoused to be like his wife, is this like some call for help shit? No seriously, how does he actually feel about his wife?

Eh, them fucking up in Xcom 2 is more entertaining than them playing it well honestly.

Also, I'm pretty sure Pat would play a lot more slowly and optimally if he was just playing the game by himself at home.
I'd be down for fuck ups in XCOM 2 if the whole campaign wasn't going down the shitter. After two near total squad wipes in a row, Pat has to come out with a win, even if two soldiers bite it, because watching him fail over and over isn't going to be any fun.

Village

Taka's bernie sanders

JyUTpUZ.gif

Edzi

The audio is really bad, and tbh it's kinda gotten to the point where I'm just baffled how they can keep doing this. Why is it so hard to just do a quick sample recording before you start? This could have been a great podcast considering all the guests they got, but as it is now I might just end up skipping it since the audio sounds like garbage coming through my phone speakers.

Ok, please excuse me as I spend a moment ranting about something no one cares about.

Matt is constantly talking about Rurouni Kenshin and how much he hates the Sanosuke dog punching bit (most recently mention in Nart Ep 18) and how that turned him off from the show despite that arc being on of the coolest in the show.

He's dead wrong about that, and I've tweeted him about it several times and he's either missed all of them or has elected to ignore it because he thinks its funny to shit on good anime.

I watched Kenshin LAST YEAR. Sanosuke is shown fighting the dogs in ONE episode, then in THE NEXT EPISODE he is done fighting the dogs and leaves the caves. It's not 5 episodes or whatever ever-increasing number Matt keeps inflating it to.

/rant

Skrams

The podcast material had a lot of good stuff, but that audio. Pretty fucking terrible. I get Woolie wanted to start recording as immediately as possible, but it would of taken 5 seconds to hit the play button in audacity to hear the laptop mic. Also what the fuck is happening? Why is there so many new laptops scattered around this group and so many laptop mics that aren't disabled always?

Can't wait for the panel or whatever videos surface from the crazy weekend of violent ustabiaz takeovers.

The editing on this Gravity Rush video is really weird. Maybe the game needs it to make this concise?

Beginning is real slow starter. The pacing is kind of weird in GR a lot of the time since it brings up a lot of questions, kind of barely answers them, and moves along. A lot of ministories make up the whole game. The game is not light on story and it makes sense why they had to edit it that way to have a good bunch of gameplay in the video as well as story.

MrHoot

Honestly I am much more about the manga and OAV (at least the TsuiokuHen) of Kenshin. I really didn't like the anime filler and the whole enishi arc being replaced (or simply not done, probably cuz it maybe wasn't out at the time ?) by this dumb religious nut arc.

Shishio arc remained pretty good tho

tsundoku

regardless of the fact that they should really be carrying around a backup smartphone w podcast mic to record a secondary backup of audio sessions

eight, nine? people is way too many for a podcast. I've listened to their underwater casts before. this one is too many cooks by far. woolie likes to meme about too many cooks and then spoils his own broth

Oh God that XCOM stuff is amazing. Seeing missions go the worst possible way they could go and hearing Pat lose his mind is so good.

Fuck those Sectoids

Randy42

It was the usual problem of 'oh we had a laptop but didnt turn the laptop mic off so it took priority even tho this has happened several times in the past and also we didnt do a mic check because we never do mic checks cause why would we'

in short anything without pat there to guide them is guaranteed to be a shitshow because the other 3 are kind of a mess when it comes to editing. Woolie is the closest to not being a mess because he actually tries to learn it to an extent but this shit still happens cause he doesnt do stuff like mic tests that would take an entire minute

convo

Oh God that XCOM stuff is amazing. Seeing missions go the worst possible way they could go and hearing Pat lose his mind is so good.

Fuck those Sectoids

This can't be lasting long. Did they say if they were gonna actually start over when they inevitably get a game over? They know they're terrible, this can only lead to another nuzlocke situation.

This can't be lasting long. Did they say if they were gonna actually start over when they inevitably get a game over? They know they terrible, this can only lead to another nuzlocke situation.

I'm pretty sure they stated multiple times, when the game ends the LP will be over, regardless of the circumstances.

Skrams

This can't be lasting long. Did they say if they were gonna actually start over when they inevitably get a game over? They know they're terrible, this can only lead to another nuzlocke situation.
I think they expressly went into this with the idea that it would only be 5 episodes.
It was the usual problem of 'oh we had a laptop but didnt turn the laptop mic off so it took priority even tho this has happened several times in the past and also we didnt do a mic check because we never do mic checks cause why would we'

in short anything without pat there to guide them is guaranteed to be a shitshow because the other 3 are kind of a mess when it comes to editing. Woolie is the closest to not being a mess because he actually tries to learn it to an extent but this shit still happens cause he doesnt do stuff like mic tests that would take an entire minute
I feel like this problem has happened before even when Pat was there.

What made them think a podcast with 9 people will be ok? Hearing from the others here seems like there is audio issues as well so double whammy. I really like listening to the podcast but there's times where they feel very inconsiderate to the listeners.

I didn't really find 9 people to be that much of a problem. It's meant to be rambunctious from the outset. I also found it pretty easy to tell every single voice apart since I've heard them enough to recognize each person. Each person has been in some best friends content or been recommended by them so that's not really a problem.

I just mostly have the problem with them not taking the 1 minute to hit play in audacity and listen to the garbled audio.

Matsukaze

Whats worse is unlike sasuke, sakura is actual abuser, and actually had, while not intimate and actual abusive relationship with naruto to the degree in which other characters had to get invovled and tell her to stay the fuck away from naruto and then after that I believe she does something super emotional abusive, basically admiting she would emotional abuse the fuck out of naruto to get to sasuke and then naruto tells her off.
That's not at all what happened.
Sai approached Sakura and told her she and Sasuke were both sources of pain for Naruto, because Naruto was afraid of letting his friends down. Sai told her it wasn't fair to ask Naruto to save Sasuke, because Naruto wouldn't forgive himself if he failed her.

Sai and Sakura knew that the other Leaf ninjas wanted to kill Sasuke because he went rogue and was officially declared an enemy of the village (even Kiba and some of the classmates said he had to bite the dust). Knowing that it would destroy Naruto to watch Sasuke die (or to have to be the one to kill him), Sakura approached him and told him she loved him so that he would accept what everyone else thought was inevitable. She wanted to null the pain of Naruto losing Sasuke (because the anti-Sasuke sentiment was really building in the village). Naruto told her, sternly but without actual anger, that she wasn't being sincere and said that he would keep on fighting to save his buddy. Sakura exaggerated her feelings because she wanted to save one friend instead of losing both (Sasuke would have killed Naruto if given the chance); her plan wasn't abusive and it instantly fizzled.

Sakura's a poorly-written character, but not because she's abusive. She's a kicked puppy; whenever Sasuke does something bad, including attempting to kill her twice, she just shrugs it off and keeps adoring him because reasons.

And oh God remembering this makes me feel like Woolie just possessed me and typed that out.

convo

I'm pretty sure they stated multiple times, when the game ends the LP will be over, regardless of the circumstances.

Heh, i guess that one time when someone on the crew said that every LP will be completed was a lie. I shouldn't have taken their word for it since backing down is the default state of being for them.
I love how Pat knows how worthless their word is the most out of all of them,in comparison to when Woolie seems to take pride in things he doesn't possess.

Oh man, I was going to ask what the overall quality is for the Podcast since I only heard a minute of the actual recording with all of them at Magfest. Seems like this one might be the first one I skip. It's a shame too because I really enjoyed the chill opening with Matt and Woolie. Also, was it just my phone or whatever but was that part fading in and out pretty bad as well? At first I thought it was just their voices going out but it happened alot and seemed to be a thing.

Oh man, I was going to ask what the overall quality is for the Podcast since I only heard a minute of the actual recording with all of them at Magfest. Seems like this one might be the first one I skip. It's a shame too because I really enjoyed the chill opening with Matt and Woolie. Also, was it just my phone or whatever but was that part fading in and out pretty bad as well? At first I thought it was just their voices going out but it happened alot and seemed to be a thing.

No that fading part happened to me too, I wasn't what it was.

Top Bottom